Some ships cancelling visit to Belize?

hartskys

My sister in law just called me and said someone she knows said they just received an email that they were cancelling the stop in Belize and stopping twice in Cozumel on their cruise.?? We have cruised several times but haven't heard of them going twice to the same place. Anyone else receive and email like this or heard of ships cancelling Belize? We are scheduled to go in December and my sister in law in Feb. :confused:

In a situation like this, it's probably best to contact either your Travel Agent or cruise line to eliminate any doubt.

Hopefully, it was a misprint or mistake. It would be a disappointment for many who want to visit Belize. We were there is 2011 and really enjoyed ourselves.

Edited by JimAOk1945

Belize is a tender port. We were there in Sept. We are also planning for next May. We booked this cruise because it stops at Belize. I just checked our booking and it still says Belize for our sailing. Did the listing on the website change the ports for the cruise that got notification of the port change?

In 2012, IIRC, Carnival and the tender boat owners were in a dispute over the tender fares/sharing arrangements and Carnival did cancel some vessels. There have been cruises in 2013 where a ship or ships may cancel the port in advance if there are more than 5 ships in port and that ship is among the last to arrive. Late arrival means nachoring further out and less available tenders to transport passengers. However, all of these are on a case by case basis. You can go out to either cruisett dotcom or cruiseportinsider dotcom and see if either of those schedules show a large group of ships in port in Belize on the days you are due there. Also find out from your sister which ship the person sending the email was on as there may be cruiseline issues at work here. If Carnival is indeed reordering your ports due to factors other than weather you will be notified long before your cruise.

I am suppose go to Belize I hope we miss it I do not like Belize all I can think to do is to go out to eat then nothing else to do that I like. I would like to go to the beach on my own but you can not you need to do a excursion.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Belize during the Thanksgiving week cruise. I was on NCL but noticed the Carnival ship tried to tender but finally gave up and left. NCL tried for 2 hours and finally was able to get people to shore without a problem.

I believe it was the Sunshine but I can't remember. We were all surprised they gave up so quickly but then we don't know the whole story.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on Celebrity last week and there was a Carnival ship in Belize with us.

My sister in law just called me and said someone she knows said they just received an email that they were cancelling the stop in Belize and stopping twice in Cozumel on their cruise.?? We have cruised several times but haven't heard of them going twice to the same place. Anyone else receive and email like this or heard of ships cancelling Belize? We are scheduled to go in December and my sister in law in Feb. :confused:

We have been to Belize 4 times, and if we had a choice we'd rather spend 2 days in Roatan or Cozumel than to go back to Belize. The whole tendering thing is a pain in the butt, plus to do anything on the island is a long bus ride. Of course this is my opinion only.

If you take a bus to the islands it would be a short ride...Just kidding. Belize is a hard port. But it unlike any other in the world. so much to see on the mainland and the islands too. I found Belize on a cruise 7 years ago and went home and packed my bags and moved here.

Do find something that interests you and experience a taste of Belize.

If you take a bus to the islands it would be a short ride...Just kidding. Belize is a hard port. But it unlike any other in the world. so much to see on the mainland and the islands too. I found Belize on a cruise 7 years ago and went home and packed my bags and moved here.

Do find something that interests you and experience a taste of Belize.

What would you recommend? I am sure my Dad would like do something on the island, but we have no clue where to start or look. Carnival's excursions are pretty expensive, but for the cost of it, to get back in time, I'm wanting to go with Carnival, albeit the price.

• 1 month later...
What would you recommend? I am sure my Dad would like do something on the island, but we have no clue where to start or look. Carnival's excursions are pretty expensive, but for the cost of it, to get back in time, I'm wanting to go with Carnival, albeit the price.

A month late here, but first, Belize is not an island! It's just a country in Central America south of Mexico.

I've visited twice on land trips and love the place. One idea for a day trip would be to rent a car or SUV and drive west on the Western Highway to the Belize Zoo. It's really neat. Then go back to Hattieville and go north on the Boomtown road. Almost immediately the Belize prison will be on your left. They have a gift shop full of intricate crafts made by prisoners who rely on the funds made from the sales of these items to buy such things as soap and toilet paper.

Then drive north on the Boomtown road; maybe have lunch at Burrel Boom. Then on to Altun Ha. You can head back to Belize City and return your car and just walk around for a little while and then retreat to the "tourist village."

Just a thought. A really cheap day.

If you snorkel I would consider taking an excursion to Goff's or one of the other Cayes, either through the ship or privately. The benefit of the ship excursion is they pick you up at the ship. No tendering to the port and no waiting in line for a tender. You have a few hours after to take a shower then tender in.

We're just taking a water taxi to Caye Caulker this visit, $22.50pp roundtrip and we'll have a few hours on CC followed by 2 hrs in Belize City.

Edited by blue_water

Is there a website to book the water taxi to Caye Caulker?

We took the San Pedro Belize Water Taxi. Go to the far left of the cruise port, out the gate and it's the first building to your left. It was a rush to get the 9:00 am water taxi to Caye Caulker, they were kind enough to hold it for us. It's a 55 minute ride out to Caye Caulker and worth the trip. Just a nice laid back beachy island. Go the the split and you can sun, snorkel, swim or surf fish. Lots of lunch options as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

Several of the older nurses I worked with in the past have relocated to Belize. I am coming in on March 5th on Carnival. What safe things could a single person do who likes to shop, dine, history and enjoys the water (but not a great swimmer). The excursion on the ships are so ridiculously costly and in every country I've visited I have tried to support local tourism. Any ideas would be helpful. Please forgive me if this reply to your post, is not with the Cruise Critics guidelines. I am new here.

Thanks.

Tina

Do find something that interests you and experience a taste of Belize.[/]

• 3 weeks later...
A month late here, but first, Belize is not an island! It's just a country in Central America south of Mexico.

I've visited twice on land trips and love the place. One idea for a day trip would be to rent a car or SUV and drive west on the Western Highway to the Belize Zoo. It's really neat. Then go back to Hattieville and go north on the Boomtown road. Almost immediately the Belize prison will be on your left. They have a gift shop full of intricate crafts made by prisoners who rely on the funds made from the sales of these items to buy such things as soap and toilet paper.

Then drive north on the Boomtown road; maybe have lunch at Burrel Boom. Then on to Altun Ha. You can head back to Belize City and return your car and just walk around for a little while and then retreat to the "tourist village."

Just a thought. A really cheap day.

Good advice and gave me some confidence - $78 including tax through Budget for the day and we'll certainly go to the zoo, and stop along the way if anything jumps out. We could squeeze in Altun Ha - it we feel we'll get back in plenty of time (rental closes at 5pm)

Edited by Chuck2810
can't spell