Jeans on Formal Night

mollynmax

There are NO such thing as 'dress' jeans.

Actually, I have two pairs of black jeans in my closet that are considered "dress jeans". They are ironed with a crease, and look better than my normal "blue jeans". When I was about 50 lbs lighter, I wore them a lot in situations that normally dictated dress slacks. Never had a problem. They are great for when you want to go the cowboy boots route. Add a nice collared dress shirt, and sometimes I would add a tie. On one occasion got an "oh baby" from a couple ladies.

Actually, I have two pairs of black jeans in my closet that are considered "dress jeans". They are ironed with a crease, and look better than my normal "blue jeans". When I was about 50 lbs lighter, I wore them a lot in situations that normally dictated dress slacks. Never had a problem. They are great for when you want to go the cowboy boots route. Add a nice collared dress shirt, and sometimes I would add a tie. On one occasion got an "oh baby" from a couple ladies.

They may be nicer than your standard Wranglers but that does not qualify them as dress attire.

They may be nicer than your standard Wranglers but that does not qualify them as dress attire.

I agree, Jeans + Formal Night = Walmart. I'm from Texas and wear jeans to work but to Church I wear a suit and to a Black Tie affair I wear a Tux. A little class will not hurt you and if you don't want to dress up, there is the Lido buffet where you will feel at home.

Out of Galveston you will see the gamut. However, I think a lot also depends on if you have Your Time or Assigned dining. We do the YTD and although DH wears a suit (and we live in Texas), we HAVE seen shorts on Elegant Night, especially on the teens early twenty somethings. On our Alaskan cruise we saw sweatsuits.

We are going to have fun regardless of what someone else is wearing, afterall it's a vacation.

Out of Galveston you will see the gamut. However, I think a lot also depends on if you have Your Time or Assigned dining. We do the YTD and although DH wears a suit (and we live in Texas), we HAVE seen shorts on Elegant Night, especially on the teens early twenty somethings. On our Alaskan cruise we saw sweatsuits.

We are going to have fun regardless of what someone else is wearing, afterall it's a vacation.

Wait, sweatsuit? Surely you aren't being serious.

I agree, Jeans + Formal Night = Walmart. I'm from Texas and wear jeans to work but to Church I wear a suit and to a Black Tie affair I wear a Tux. A little class will not hurt you and if you don't want to dress up, there is the Lido buffet where you will feel at home.

No need for the buffet. I feel right at home in the MDR in my jeans. I'm just a Walmart low class type guy. We can't ll be as perfect as you.

Wait, sweatsuit? Surely you aren't being serious.

Yep and it didn't impact our good time or the taste of the WCMC. Will we talk about people's attire? Probably so, but I'd rather see someone in jeans or shorts that fit instead of squeezing into a dress two sizes too small so they resemble a sausage coming out of it's casing or wearing slacks that sag so that we see their boxers (or thongs).

We regulary dine at Marks, Brenners and other places deemed upscale and see jeans there all the time... The Houston area is more casual and people who live here and cruise out of Galveston know this.

Here in California, I used to go to Surfer's Church. We dressed in swim trunks, flip flops, and tank tops. Jeans on elegant night would be a step up for me.

Jeans in the dining room? I thought the MDR was billed as a five-star dining experience.

What's next, wait staff dancing on tables?

I remember once being in a really chic upscale 5 star dining room where someone yelled out "RED TEAM HAS 500 POINTS" and the gathering of cafe society diners in their ermine and pearls whooped and hollered and clapped and stomped their feet.

Thats when I knew the rich live differently than the rest of us :)

During elegant night on the Liberty a 20-something was dressed in a suit with matching shorts. The maitre d had a few words with him at the table, he left and came back with the pants on.

I usually don't notice what others are wearing, but since the maitre d approached I noticed.

There is no formal night. We feel at ease in the MDR, and have always been warmly welcomed in dress jeans and boots, every night.

Edited by MpwdMom

I agree that Carnival needs to enforce their dress policies, however, this is what I saw on the Pride this past week.

We were seated in the section right inside the entrance to the MDR on one of the elegant nights. This 20 something guy tries to enter and the asst. Maitre'd stops him and starts talking to him. From the body language you could tell that she wasn't allowing him to enter. He had on a pair of baggy, saggy jeans, underwear showing, a bright orange t-shirt that had some kind of advertising on the back, and flip flops. He walked away, then the asst. was called over to help someone with a motorized scooter. As soon as she turned her back, the orange shirted guy snuck in and went to his table, which was near ours, joining the rest of jeans, t-shirts and flipflop people at the table.

So, is the waitstaff supposed to tell them to leave? I don't know, but this was the first cruise where we saw so many sweatsuits, baseball caps, t-shirts and dirty looking flip flops on elegant nights. They should just do away with it once and for all, since so many have no respect for their request. No one forces you to eat in the MDR, there are many other options if you don't feel like getting just a little dressed up. JMHO

I totally agree with you. I thought maybe things would have changed since 2010 when I was on the Pride, and would definitely be different when we sail the Pride again in Feb. 2014. I was a bit surprised then, but noticed too, that nothing seemed to be enforced. I always thought it was common courtesy for gentlemen to remove their hats in a dining room, but I suppose that rule doesn't apply today. I guess the "good old days" of cruising are just that...the good old days.

My question isn't about jeans in the mdr..because they have been allowed in there, even on formal night for a LONG time. This argument is nothing new and if you have them on, I certainly don't care. I really don't look at other people's clothes unless they are stunning and I can't keep my eyes off of them OR somethign so sloppy that it's like a train wreck that you can't look away.

My question is (for the Caribbean cruisers) aren't pants other than jeans more comfortable in warmer temps? I don't mean jackets/suits/and the long-gone tux.. just slacks (Dockers or whatever).

I love jeans. I live in them, but I only wear them on a cruise if I am boarding in NY or Boston and disembarking in a cool climate as well. In bewteen embark/disembark day they are in a drawer in my cabin and stay there. They are not comfortable to wear in the heat...AC or not.

I don't find my other pants to be less comfortable than my jeans and if my jeans were starched, they wouldn't be comfortable at ALL:eek: (I really don't understand the starching of jeans)...so I just don't get it.

if you were going to an island for a land vacation for a week, would you really pack them?

Just curious.

Edited by halos

My question isn't about jeans in the mdr..because they have been allowed in there, even on formal night for a LONG time. This argument is nothing new and if you have them on, I certainly don't care. I really don't look at other people's clothes unless they are stunning and I can't keep my eyes off of them OR somethign so sloppy that it's like a train wreck that you can't look away.

My question is (for the Caribbean cruisers) aren't pants other than jeans more comfortable in warmer temps? I don't mean jackets/suits/and the long-gone tux.. just slacks (Dockers or whatever).

I love jeans. I live in them, but I only wear them on a cruise if I am boarding in NY or Boston and disembarking in a cool climate as well. In bewteen embark/disembark day they are in a drawer in my cabin and stay there. They are not comfortable to wear in the heat...AC or not.

I don't find my other pants to be less comfortable than my jeans and if my jeans were starched, they wouldn't be comfortable at ALL:eek: (I really don't understand the starching of jeans)...so I just don't get it.

if you were going to an island for a land vacation for a week, would you really pack them?

Just curious.

I had not considered that angle yet - but very good point. I have never taken jeans on a cruise but if I had worn them around an island I would have been rather toasty.

I had not considered that angle yet - but very good point. I have never taken jeans on a cruise but if I had worn them around an island I would have been rather toasty.

Forget about starch and embrace skinny jeans. They make short legs look tall and fat legs thin, plus hold junk in the trunk. I don't leave home without mine along with 3-4" heels or boots. Wearing jeans in the Caribbean is like wearing boots in the desert, or gowns in the buffet, odd but it happens:D .

Edited by Blk_Amish

The brand, Not Your Daughters Jeans, are made for mature women like me, close to 50. They elongate the legs, flatten the stomach, and shape the butt. That little miracle doesn't come cheap, which is why I have more gowns than jeans:D I am going to venture to say anything that makes a lady's legs appear longer is a good thing. Now is there a pair of jeans for the fellas that turn a keg into a 6 pack.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I agree with you. :D Bill