Future cruise with Elite status vanished - thanks Captains Club!

UniPac

No I can't cancel and rebook the first of the two cruises without paying approx. USD 650 as fee. That's the way it is here (in germany). Book one year in advance, cancel two days later after booking - loose 10%. Sad but true. No way to get the 123 promo with tier points without paying USD 650 plus the even higher cruise fare now (just checked, it raised by USD 400 per Person!).

If others got only few (<5) bonus points by contacting CC, that does not seem to be an option either as we are missing more under the new system. However I will still send them an email with the maths :-)

Just read about the new 123 - well this time it is not limited to Carib. / Med / Alaska only (leaving the Sydnes to Hawaii cruise without a perk), instead it is not applicable for TA/TP and Galapagos. Sounds good!

... wait... only for cruises departing until march 2015 - bummer! We set sails on April 3rd, that's three days too late.

Wow, missed Elite on the cruise because of the new system and missing the 123 promo by three days. Maybe we should cancel that one! :(

Edited by UniPac

.......Just read about the new 123 - well this time it is not limited to Carib. / Med / Alaska only (leaving the Sydnes to Hawaii cruise without a perk), instead it is not applicable for TA/TP and Galapagos. Sounds good!

... wait... only for cruises departing until march 2015 - bummer! We set sails on April 3rd, that's three days too late.

Call them and see if they will extend it for you. It is worth a try.

Several years ago we had a certificate for a cruise credit that was good until the end of one month and we wanted to use it on a cruise at the beginning of the following month. They agreed to extend the deadline for us, which is why I suggest trying to see if they will do the same for you.

I feel your disappointment and I've been saying that they should honor the cruises that are already booked under the old program. If it was booked as of 11/23 - they should honor it. Not give you the status now - just give it to you under the old program when you would have earned it. Just my humble opinion and I know I'm in the minority here.

I booked 2 Concierge cabins for the double points which would have made us Elite -- we depart in 11 days fully paid -- now we get 35 points instead of 60 points. We fall short by 25 points now

Confirmed with Celebrity tha we lost out.

Not happy

We have 3 14 cruises booked. We are already elite. Under the old system we would have had 9 credits that would convert to 270 but under the new system it will be 42 days x 5 giving 210. So we are losing 60 points towards elite plus but under the old system we didn't gain anything for the extra cruise points. We are still elite and now have a opportunity for enhanced benefits so we are still gaining. It just involves taking more cruises than it may have. I am not going to chase after it to gain some drinks. If I feel drinks and etc are that important I will get the drink pack and not worry about what could have been.

Those that had 8 (old) points were given 25 additional points so that they could still make elite with 2 more cruises. Those with 9 points were given 16 points. I am not sure about those with 4 points on their way to select.

I'm there, 0 bonus points.

I have a cruise booked, but it won't get me to select as in the old program(10 days interior, so 10 new points short).

The odd thing is that with the old program I'd have a little more interest in booking the next cruise as I would be a higher level, but in this way, I'll keep looking to other options, as classic level is nothing in the end. This looks like they want to keep their loyal patrons(good) but doesn't want to earn the loyalty of new cruisers.

In the end doesn't really matter, as I'll cruise first by destination and second by quality/price, but now they look worse in the second term.

We are in that category that had 9 credits and received the 16 bonus points. I was trying to figure out why 16???? Then it hit me - 30 X 9 + 270 + 16 = 286. Still shy of 300 but still guarantees us elite after our next cruise - even if we were in an inside (2 X 7 = 14 + 286 = 300).

So, as much as I'd like to have received the rumored 50 bonus points and become elite, we have no reason to complain - under the old system we would be elite after our next cruise (leave Friday for San Juan) and under the new system we will be elite when we get home.

Those that had 8 (old) points were given 25 additional points so that they could still make elite with 2 more cruises. Those with 9 points were given 16 points. I am not sure about those with 4 points on their way to select.

That is us, 9 points after just finished, we are showing 286 points now. Much to do over not much to worry over.

Oh, the cruise on Reflection was wonderful, and X knows that bottom line that is what will keep us coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar situation. 8 legacy points as of Nov.16 and a 15 day Panama Canal cruise paid in full booked for Jan 4, 2014 which would have qualified me for Elite with 10 legacy points. They converted the 8 to 240, and gave me 25 bonus points. Since the Panama Canal is an inside cabin it will earn 30 leaving me at 295! I feel cheated and have been appealing to anyone I can reach including the CEO. No luck in getting any consideration, even though I had booked my last two cruises and paid for them, prior to the program change, with the express intent of achieving Elite. Today I just took advantage of a last minute deal - 5 day Western Caribbean Oceanview @ $149 with $20 on-board credit. Total net cost for two including taxes, fees and prepaid gratuities $590. I figured that $59 per person per day all in is a reasonable way to lock in Elite after the Panama Canal cruise. Elite is worth $50+ per day for us on future cruises and we typically take longer itineraries.

Hi all,

I just want to tell you a little story on the recent Captain's Club changes from a different point of view from what I have read so far...

We are quite new cruisers and currently have 4 "old" points. We planned and booked a Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2015, 18 nights - that is some really BIG vacation for us. We like the idea of Elite getting drinks, laundray and some internet minutes. We calculated and thought two 14 nights cruises in Aqua Class will give us 6 points, so 10 before the big cruise - Elite, voila.

Booked two cruises in 2014 some time ago and saving every "Euro" we can to make it all possible.

Now, they change the Captain's Club point system and we won't be Elite on our big cruise in 2015... so no free internet minutes and no laundry for us - and no free drinks :(

4 points x 30 = 120

14 days AQ = 70 x 2 = 140

260 points in total, not enough to become Elite.

I know it is not much money we talk about but somehow it counted for the whole decision of the next three cruises - it just fitted perfect.

As most of you are Elite and getting Elite+ with the new system (and some becoming Elite), we are on the "downside" of this.

Or can you become a new level now while onboard cause they count days? That way we would become Elite on day 6 - not too bad.

As said before - no big deal, but we really liked the idea of having those USEFUL benefits on a long 18 nights cruise :( Esp. cause we already booked everything under the old system.

Any one else having such an issue?

Thanks for reading!

I don't know if this will work or if it has been suggested but cancel the two 14 days now and rebook them. This way you will pick up an extra 25 pts for each cruise with the new special offer.

Edited by dkjretired

• 2 months later...

I totally agree and understand you. My wife and l are in the same situation. We booked concierge class on two former cruises to get points enough to reach Elite level on our next cruise. That was the reason to buy more expencive cruises then we otherwise would done. The new rules were not known at the time of our booking. At our last cruise, staff from the ship even told that people who would reach Elite after the cruise could book cruises with the discount which was given to Elite members (Galapagos). I have emailed and asked Captains Club about the lost points without getting answer. l have been waiting for the answer before booking new cruises. If we get Elite, l would definetely book with Celebriy for the next cruises- if not- l am not sure. It not a good situation to have to wait to know if Celebrity will handle it in a fair way. Hope you will get Elite to Hawai, and that l can book new cruises with the Elite benefits too!!

Hi all,

I just want to tell you a little story on the recent Captain's Club changes from a different point of view from what I have read so far...

We are quite new cruisers and currently have 4 "old" points. We planned and booked a Sydney to Hawaii cruise in 2015, 18 nights - that is some really BIG vacation for us. We like the idea of Elite getting drinks, laundray and some internet minutes. We calculated and thought two 14 nights cruises in Aqua Class will give us 6 points, so 10 before the big cruise - Elite, voila.

Booked two cruises in 2014 some time ago and saving every "Euro" we can to make it all possible.

Now, they change the Captain's Club point system and we won't be Elite on our big cruise in 2015... so no free internet minutes and no laundry for us - and no free drinks :(

4 points x 30 = 120

I know it is not much money we talk about but somehow it counted for the whole decision of the next three cruises - it just fitted perfect.

As most of you are Elite and getting Elite+ with the new system (and some becoming Elite), we are on the "downside" of this.

Or can you become a new level now while onboard cause they count days? That way we would become Elite on day 6 - not too bad.

As said before - no big deal, but we really liked the idea of having those USEFUL benefits on a long 18 nights cruise :( Esp. cause we already booked everything under the old system.

Thanks for reading!

Sorry guys you need to be realistic.

The Captains Club is optional. When you sign up to join you sign that you agree to the terms and conditions. One of those terms is that they can vary the terms.

Celebrity have varied the terms because the economical facts are that they cannot afford to have as many on the higher status. By introducing the new system it will take longer to get to the higher status.

The new system still rewards loyalty just not on as generous terms as previously.

We cruise because we enjoy the cruise experience. Not to generate more loyalty points or become 'Elite'. I acknowledge that we would like to have the 'free perks' of the next status but lets be honest they are not actually free. We all pay for them in the overall cost.

Sorry guys you need to be realistic.

The Captains Club is optional. When you sign up to join you sign that you agree to the terms and conditions. One of those terms is that they can vary the terms.

Celebrity have varied the terms because the economical facts are that they cannot afford to have as many on the higher status. By introducing the new system it will take longer to get to the higher status.

The new system still rewards loyalty just not on as generous terms as previously.

We cruise because we enjoy the cruise experience. Not to generate more loyalty points or become 'Elite'. I acknowledge that we would like to have the 'free perks' of the next status but lets be honest they are not actually free. We all pay for them in the overall cost.

I both agree and disagree. It's true that the terms and conditions state that they can modify the terms (or even end the program altogether) at any time. I also agree that they had to do something to cut down on the rapidly growing numbers of Elite cruisers. I had gone on record here as saying I would welcome such a change, even if that meant it would take me longer to reach Elite.

But a "promotion" that backfires by causing bad feelings can do more harm than good. It should be recognized that, for some, getting the cruise credits may have been a significant factor in booking the upcoming cruise with Celebrity and not going to a competitor. I think the proper way to have handled this was to give the equivalent club points (30 per what would have been a cruise credit) to any booking made prior to 11/23, or at least to those where it would make a difference in going up a level or not, as was the case for the OP.

Just to vent, the change means we will need three more cruises to reach Elite than we would have before the change, but if our last cruise had been worth 60 club points (equivalent of 2 cruise credits) instead of 35, it would have been only two more.

I loved my recent cruise. It was excellent except for the elite events. Captains Club used to be terrific. It has changed. The changes have not been received well. Celebrity took a perfectly good idea and changed it. I have been elite for a long time. I really enjoyed the benefits. I loved the lite receptions, free laundry, and free internet. In the conversion I am still elite. Until my lost recent cruise, I would say that elite benefits were terrific. I had always enjoyed the elite breakfasts and evening receptions. On my last cruise in January, the elite lounges were overcrowded. If you got a seat, you were lucky. Trying to get a drink was too much effort. If you ordered a mixed drink, there wasn't much liquor in it. Wine was terrible. Vouchers were not available on that cruise. It seemed that the quality of the elite receptions had been revamped. The internet minutes are nice. Internet is very slow. Account time made mistakes often stating that I had used billions of minutes. It was corrected after I stood in a long line. The free laundry now uses ink to mark clothing instead of the removable tabs. The ink codes often were written directly on the garment and bled through onto the other side. The laundry ruined some of my knit shirts. The elite benefits that I used to enjoy are now not as good as they used to be. Gelato was a nice touch. I will still cruise. However, I will not count on elite benefits when picking a cruise. So, even if you got those extra points to become an elite, you will not get much. Take the cruise. Forget about status. Just go and enjoy.

I would shop carefully when considering the Galapagos discount. Some of the regular fare is less than the old ten percent or five percent offered now.

I was also excited about the free laundry and internet. But I think many lines are going to have to go to free internet, people really dislike paying hundreds for internet.

I would shop carefully when considering the Galapagos discount. Some of the regular fare is less than the old ten percent or five percent offered now.

I was also excited about the free laundry and internet. But I think many lines are going to have to go to free internet, people really dislike paying hundreds for internet.

The Galapagos discount ended 12/31/13...it is no longer an Elite benefit. I just talked to Celebrity because we booked for 2016 and they said it is no more...just an FYI...

Edited by deise17311

It is currently a five percent discount rather than a ten percent. I would call them back if you didn't get five percent and you are elite.

It ended 12/31/13 and if you booked by 12/31/13 it was 5% but only for cruises through 2015. However it is still showing on their website so I am going to call!

Edited by deise17311

Some options discussed here won't be possible for you or just won't work:

Re-booking isn't feasible because in Germany as well as in many other European countries you lose your 10-20% deposit whenever you cancel. It's only worth it if there is a huge price drop a long time before the cruise - the loss of deposit is much higher the nearer final payment time comes up to 50% for example.

Contacting Captain's Club won't help either - The US department can't do anything ( tried that myself once) and the Frankfurt department has been almost impossible to reach since November and is quite often not much helpful anyway, which is a shame. And as you are still quite a long way away from Elite status I'm sure they won't be able to change the rules anyway.

I'd consider two other things ( I'm afraid they might cost still more money):

Quite often cruises in the Med are offered at bargain prices during the season and it is always quite easy to get acceptable airfares. So if you really are that keen on reaching elite I'd look out for a good baragain, for example with a balcony guarantee and go for a third cruise in 2014 - it's an enjoyable way to spend more time and still more money.

B2B might be another option. As the airfare to Sydney to reach your 2015 cruise is high anyway I'd consider booking the South Sea trip before that, too, which comes at quite good prices now as well as with a complimentary beverage package.

I do know that means saving still more Euros and spending more time at sea and vacation time!

And a word of warning : when we first became Elite we loved it, we went to each and every party and to social hours, used the laundry and the internet and the wine discount. But even if we still think it's a grand loyalty perk in general and enjoy it, the brightness has dimmed a bit. We find the lounges sometimes unbearably crowded, the quality of the wine lacking, the internet so slow that we don't even bother to use up the free minutes. Laundry is still good even if we only give them cotton undies and t-shirts - I'd never consider having a silk blouse washed, for example.

Whatever you decide: enjoy your three upcoming cruises - enjoying them is the best thing which we did when we're classic, when we were select etc.

As i recall, under the old system you did not earn your points until the cruise was completed, irrespective as to when you booked same. If that has not changed, then what is the concern on the part of some? On the other hand, if that system has changed then possibly someone may have a valid complaint, depending upon the requirements of the new system.

First of all let me state that I have had Elite status ever since the inception of the level. I do enjoy the Elite benefits, but that being said, I can in no way understand anyone spending thousand of dollars taking extra cruises just to get in the points/days to reach Elite. As has been stated, ever since Celebrity gave Elite status to RCCL Diamonds, the Elite events have been way overcrowded and the quality has decreased. The free drinks are not what they used to be and not even easy to get the attention of a server to get one. If I did not already have the Elite status I sure wouldn't be spending all of that money on cruises just to get there. I would just buy the drink package and enjoy picking a cruise that I wanted to really go on.

As i recall, under the old system you did not earn your points until the cruise was completed, irrespective as to when you booked same. If that has not changed, then what is the concern on the part of some? On the other hand, if that system has changed then possibly someone may have a valid complaint, depending upon the requirements of the new system.

The issue would be that when I booked our cruise, I did so with the expectation that at the end we would be 60% of our way to Elite status, not 51.7%, as long as I completed the cruise. The deal was, essentially, "Book this cruise and you'll have 6 cruise points once you finish." The change was made just after final payment was due, so we had no opportunity to decide that the new deal was unacceptable without losing a ton of money. Essentially, the rules changed in midgame.

I realize that, technically, X is within their rights to do this, but it does not mean I have to like it. I suspected changes were coming, but had I thought that the cruise wouldn't be grandfathered in, I may have thought twice about booking concierge vs. verandah, or even booking at all.

How much would it have cost them to have honored points from cruises already booked? It would mean that they would have to give their loyal customers that had proven their loyalty by booking one extra cruises' worth of tier benefits. Instead, at some point, for one cruise, I'll still be Select where I would have otherwise been Elite, and maybe I'll be Elite instead of Elite Plus for one cruise in the distant future. Big deal. Is the money they're saving worth antagonizing their customers?

Hi all,

4 points x 30 = 120

Thanks for reading!

I feel your pain, we are in the same position. Booked 3 cruises back in July 2013 which, with the combination of number of nights and cabin booked, would have us Elite after those three cruises. Now, nope. :(

Thanks for understanding me! Was a bit afraid of getting too many negative responses...

Concerning the suite upgrade: well currently the first 14nights cruise is sold quite good... the second one is in the med, i think it will sell out, too. But I will keep my eyes open.

I also will think about contacting Captains Club.

Algebralovr and all others: is there any source about this bonus points thing?

Don't be concerned about negative comments. Many people jsut post regarding their own status, rather than considering someone else's.

We understand. We were affected, as we left a European TA on the day the new program started. Although we had booked 1.5 years in advance and were paid in full, we got the new, rather than the old benefits. We didn't even know there was a change as we had been oout of the country for 2 weeks prior to the cruise.

WE feel your pain and you have every right to feel the way that you do.