what type of cabin did you wind up having if you booked an inside guarantee?

beachchairs2

The Obstructed View is 143 sq. ft vs . 160 sq. ft. for the inside. The Veranda Cabins are 165 sq. ft. not including the veranda. So there is a considerable difference between the OV and Inside. Depends on what makes you happy!! I also believe there is no loveseat in the OV cabins. Arlene

You're correct, but I'm pretty sure the "OV" reference is for Ocean View, not Obstructed View. The reference is to Deluxe OV, which is category C1 on Deck 4. There are no "deluxe" obsructed view cabins, which are category E on deck 6. The Ocean View cabins, inside cabins and all veranda cabins, whether category B or A (not counting their balconies), are essentially the same size, although there are very slight differences in the official sizes.

and thats just fine...it is our first experience with O...we are travelling with wonderful friends...what can be better....

A few years back, we decided to save some money and booked an inside guaranty over a year in advance. We were immediately assigned a number for the lowliest cabin on the ship. No upgrade offers were made. We did feel a bit sorry for ourselves having an inside, but it was an incredible cruise and we met so many terrific people.

Fast Forward a few years, and someone asks DH which was his favourite cruise ever. You guessed it - he chose the one where we had the inside, about which he had entirely forgotten. He only remembered that ports and the people. The ship was either the Regatta or the Insignia.

Bottom line - you won't suffer in the meanest cabin of any Oceania ship, but a suite is certainly wonderful if you can afford it. (I was thrilled with a PH suite until our dining companion gloated that he had a gym in his suite) Even without an upgrade, you will have a wonderful time.

But, but, but........research is half the fun. :eek: Once you start, you get answers to questions you didn't know enough to ask.

Yes, I agree, although I'm sure my TA would answer "ship" questions! I spend a lot of time researching, which my husband calls "obsessing." Of course, my research about the ship is minimal compared to my research on the ports, and yes, it's definitely the ports I remember rather than the room!

From this thread, I found out two things I didn't know before:

1. Veranda size isn't counted in square footage, so insides and verandas are same size, at least on R ships.

2. There are a couple obstructed oceanviews (maybe I should write this as OOV?) that are barely obstructed. Nice to know, even though I normally book an inside.

In any case, yes, I was asking about the layout of the Deluxe Oceanviews, not the obstructed ones.

Yes, I agree, although I'm sure my TA would answer "ship" questions!.

You will find more "ship" information on CC than any individual TA could ever give you. I have seen people ask very specific questions, such as the width of bathroom doors, and someone who was actually on the ship would give them the answer. If you are wondering about beams or vents, there is likely someone who will show you a photo of that specific cabin.

Then there are the people, like Jim and Stan, who have a photo for everything!

I'm sorry but I really can't understand why someone would book a certain cabin knowing they won't be happy with it. As you can see, I've been a member of cruise critic for a long time - my first "cruise" was a transatlantic crossing in 1958 - so I've been at this for a long time. I don't cruise constantly but always in a cabin I like and want. Thank you! And this opinion applies to all whether Americans or Europeans or Aussies!

PS I have never been upgraded and that's fine!

I'm sorry but I really can't understand why someone would book a certain cabin knowing they won't be happy with it. As you can see, I've been a member of cruise critic for a long time - my first "cruise" was a transatlantic crossing in 1958 - so I've been at this for a long time. I don't cruise constantly but always in a cabin I like and want. Thank you! And this opinion applies to all whether Americans or Europeans or Aussies!

PS I have never been upgraded and that's fine!

It's not that many people who are hoping for an upgrade after booking would not be happy with their cabin, it's, at least with me, the challenge of getting something better! It's checking to see how full the ship is, often daily. It's checking your category vs others. It's watching the price, especially before final payment. It's being proactive with your TA and the cruise line itself. It's a game, a challenge, and, if successful, a coup. Staying in the cabin I booked is just fine, especially if I have done everything I could to upgrade or upsell. In 2 out of my last 3 cruises I booked interior and ended up in balcony. The one I stayed in the inside I booked was Rivièra, and the cruise was as impressive as advertised.

We have booked a guarantee so no number appears on our luggage labels. Usually luggage disappears before checking in and finding actual cabin number, so will our cases take ages to find us?

Thanks.

Solas, if you haven't had your stateroom number assigned yet: We've had guarantees maybe 5 or 6 times now and always gotten our stateroom assignment at least 2 days before the cruise. Therefore, I'm guessing you'll know your room before you leave home - unless, of course, you're leaving home quite a bit in advance of embarkation. Of course, I've also heard of a few people checking in and not knowing their stateroom until then, so I guess anything's possible. I wouldn't worry about your luggage but I WOULD make sure your TA (if you used one) knows that you'd like to know your room number when Oceania assigns it, and also that he/she knows how to reach you close to or after the day you leave, and knows whether or not you're interested in upsells if they're offered.

You can also go into the Already Booked section on Oceania to check on your room assignment. It will switch over from "GTY" to stateroom number once the number is assigned.

Edited by roothy123

Thank you for your help.

We have returned from our cruise - which we loved! - and just as you said, our luggage found us even tho we didn't know the room number. Now we have experienced the attention to detail on Oceania, we realise our worry was unfounded.

Thanks again for taking time to reply, roothy123!

ptjudy....those are exactly my sentiments as well....

It seems though that getting the cabin in the category you are assigned is causing some resentment and irritation...at least based on the posts...even with Celebrity it's like if they don't play the game then they are the big, bad greedy cruise line...but you are not alone...I rarely read about people booking qty because they want to save money in a specific cat, but instead book expecting an upgrade and don't fool yourselves, it IS expecting an upgrade no matter how much one says otherwise...not so much on O but def on the other lines...but I will admit I would probably be the same way...I learned long ago that I always end up paying for a suite upgrade and am not happy until I do, so now just book a suite to begin with...less self torture!

It seems though that getting the cabin in the category you are assigned is causing some resentment and irritation!

That is not what I have been reading at all. Most people pay what they feel they can comfortably afford, while hoping and praying for an upgrade. If a good upsell offer comes along, it is like winning the lottery. We allow for a little extra splurge if the right offer comes along.

We get the best we can for the price we are willing to pay and it becomes a game to get better, if possible. I doubt that anyone books an inside (or a balcony, hoping for a suite) thinking that the cruise would be spoiled if they were not upgraded.

You probably wouldn't approve of the way I shop for appliances or furniture either. I can save thousands by price matching over the internet. The savings can then be spent on a cruise. :)

It seems though that getting the cabin in the category you are assigned is causing some resentment and irritation...at least based on the posts..!

I have an inside cabin on an upcoming cruise this month so when everyone was talking about getting upgrades, I called my travel agent who got Oceania on the other line. They said my request for an upgrade to PH, OC or VC weren't available. :confused: :mad:

They did offer $200pp for an upgrade to B1 category. But I considered an 80% discount not enough. :p

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I have an inside cabin on an upcoming cruise this month so when everyone was talking about getting upgrades, I called my travel agent who got Oceania on the other line. They said my request for an upgrade to PH, OC or VC weren't available. :confused: :mad:

They did offer $200pp for an upgrade to B1 category. But I considered an 80% discount not enough. :p

If I were Mrs Chucktown, I'd be really mad at you for turning down such an offer.

If I were Mrs Chucktown, I'd be really mad at you for turning down such an offer.

But I suspect Mr. Chucktown did discuss it with her. C'Mon, Steve, tell us!

I'm in an inside guarantee later this month and was offered a B for $750 pp additional (about a 50% discount from the original price differential) but I said no thx. If I thought the weather would be warmer, I might've been more tempted -- or if there were any at-sea days!

It's kind of fun to watch the availability of the different categories.

It's also fun to receive the offers for the cruise before or cruise after (making a B2B). Maybe some day I'll be able to do that, too!

This has been a fun thread, although I'm flabbergasted that the OP has "always" been well-upgrade don Celebrity whenever booking a gttee. Color me flabbergasted. I highly doubt this is coincidental. Something else must be going on that we don't know about.

And that is one of the reasons you and I are not married. :p

I once got us a high and forward thinking she'd enjoy it. NOPE. She likes low, mid-ship and inside.

We're very port intensive every day this cruise so we wouldn't be able to enjoy the verandah. When we're in the cabin it's either to nap/sleep or get cleaned up for dinner.

Besides probably the available veranda cabins would have been high or forward.

PS May B; Wrong. She doesn't know and I don't want you telling her. lol Besides IF she did enjoy the verandah, I'd never be able to go backwards again. :eek: I equate it to a person who's never eaten steak who is quite happy with hamburger. :D

Edited by ChucktownSteve

PS May B; Wrong. She doesn't know and I don't want you telling her. lol Besides IF she did enjoy the verandah, I'd never be able to go backwards again. :eek: I equate it to a person who's never eaten steak who is quite happy with hamburger. :D

Anyone know how I can get in touch with Mrs Chucky? This might be good for a bit of blackmail. :D

Absolutely! We can share the profits. :)

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Forums mobile app

Sorry gals, you'll have to find your money honey somewhere else. I mentioned the no acceptance upgrade over dinner and she agreed with me. So I was RIGHT AGAIN. roflmao

She said she'd rather use that money for tours or jewelery. We haven't gotten to 24 years of marriage without knowing each other.

I told her next year is the Styrofoam anniversary. Isn't that the 25th? :cool:hahahahahaha

Sorry gals, you'll have to find your money honey somewhere else. I mentioned the no acceptance upgrade over dinner and she agreed with me. So I was RIGHT AGAIN. roflmao

She said she'd rather use that money for tours or jewelery. We haven't gotten to 24 years of marriage without knowing each other.

I told her next year is the Styrofoam anniversary. Isn't that the 25th? :cool:hahahahahaha

Mrs. Chucky is a lucky girl. :p

BTW your obscure book reference is very familiar to all us old corporate soldiers....was it the merger mania 90's?

Mrs. Chucky is a saint ....my husband would be 20 feet submerged in our nearby lake if he refused that $200 upgrade. :D But, then again,

I make all the travel plans ...so he's safe.

Edited by buggins0402

:p

BTW your obscure book reference is very familiar to all us old corporate soldiers....was it the merger mania 90's?

Mrs. Chucky is a saint ....my husband would be 20 feet submerged in our nearby lake if he refused that $200 upgrade. :D But, then again,

I make all the travel plans ...so he's safe.

So he's a scuba diver? :rolleyes: That's also a good way not to hear you screaming at him. :p

Edited by ChucktownSteve

That is not what I have been reading at all. Most people pay what they feel they can comfortably afford, while hoping and praying for an upgrade. If a good upsell offer comes along, it is like winning the lottery. We allow for a little extra splurge if the right offer comes along.

We get the best we can for the price we are willing to pay and it becomes a game to get better, if possible. I doubt that anyone books an inside (or a balcony, hoping for a suite) thinking that the cruise would be spoiled if they were not upgraded.

You probably wouldn't approve of the way I shop for appliances or furniture either. I can save thousands by price matching over the internet. The savings can then be spent on a cruise. :)

I am with you on this!

And think others would agree. Unless money is no object! We all have to decide how to spend our cash and an offer of upgrade/ upsell is always welcome! Even if you decide against taking it up. We were quite happy in our inside as we decided balcony not worth it on a cruise with new (to us) port every day. But would still be nice to get an offer!

Still a mystery how these are allocated!

Edited by Solas36
Missed out something!