Port Everglades Taxi

parrotfeathers

When we got in the taxi at the port, the driver left the port, went straight for a couple of minutes, then turned right, went a couple miles, and then made a u-turn (at least to me it seemed like a u-turn) at a light and went the other way and we were on the road leading to the airport.

It all led to the airport but when we left the port I saw a sign that said "airport" and it pointed straight ahead. Our fare was a little over $14 which was no big deal but going down the road he told me there was a $10 "tax" in addition to the fare. I told him I knew this was not true because I had cruised out of FLL several times and no driver ever made mention of a "tax." I got mixed up about the flat charge vs. the meter charge (flat rate is in Miami) but he did use the meter.

I guess my question is should he have gone straight like the sign said or was he going a "better" way?

When we got in the taxi at the port, the driver left the port, went straight for a couple of minutes, then turned right, went a couple miles, and then made a u-turn (at least to me it seemed like a u-turn) at a light and went the other way and we were on the road leading to the airport.

It all led to the airport but when we left the port I saw a sign that said "airport" and it pointed straight ahead. Our fare was a little over $14 which was no big deal but going down the road he told me there was a $10 "tax" in addition to the fare. I told him I knew this was not true because I had cruised out of FLL several times and no driver ever made mention of a "tax." I got mixed up about the flat charge vs. the meter charge (flat rate is in Miami) but he did use the meter.

I guess my question is should he have gone straight like the sign said or was he going a "better" way?

No, there's no $10 airport tax, this driver was trying to "take you for a ride". Did you get the name and number of the cab? Sorry to hear that you almost got ripped off, it doesn't exactly reflect well on S Florida.

FYI, here's an estimated fare guide published by Broward County.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/About/Documents/Transpchoiceposter.pdf

The area between the port and the airport is currently under a huge construction project, so it is possible that some of the drivers may go different ways. It is very confusing dealing with all of the changes. I can't even give people directions anymore. I was recently meeting a friend on SE 17th St after she did an airport dropoff and between my directions and her gps she was lost for an hour. I had to drive to where she was and have her follow me to where we were going. So it is possible that your driver went the best way to the airport. Anything up to $15 on the meter is normal.

I haven't read about any new taxes between the port and airport.

Our fare is usually around $10 plus tip but with the construction, it likely is a bit higher than usual.

I've never heard of any $10 airport tax and we've flown in and out of FLL a great many times.

Greetings

With the construction around the airport and port the signage may not be totally correct. Coming back from the airport just a couple of weeks ago I followed the signs for 595 but ended up on US1. And I live in the area and use the airport quite frequently. So I am not sure the driver wasn't adding a few dollars to the fare by taking the long way, but it may have just been due to the construction in that area.

Good Sailing

Tom

When coming off a HAL ship around pier 26 the taxi driver goes all the way to 24th St, makes a left and then another left and heads to the airport. The fare is more than $15, so we round it off to $20.

I don't know why they don't just go down Eller Dr and then head to the airport, but I guess they have their reasons. Traffic maybe.

Greetings

With the construction around the airport and port the signage may not be totally correct. Coming back from the airport just a couple of weeks ago I followed the signs for 595 but ended up on US1. And I live in the area and use the airport quite frequently. So I am not sure the driver wasn't adding a few dollars to the fare by taking the long way, but it may have just been due to the construction in that area.

Good Sailing

Tom

Tunaman, That happened to me last week too! I tried to follow the signs to I-595/I-95 and ended up detoured by US1 north to SR 84 west! I live off US1, so I just took that road all the way home.

Tunaman, That happened to me last week too! I tried to follow the signs to I-595/I-95 and ended up detoured by US1 north to SR 84 west! I live off US1, so I just took that road all the way home.

Greetings

Glad I'm not the only one. We also ended up on SR 84. And the turnoff from SR84 onto I-95 is not the best design I have ever seen. I kept thinking I had somehow missed a turn. I said to my SO, "I know where I am but why are they sending me this way".

Good Sailing

Tom

FYI - After picking up luggage and on exit from the CCL terminal there were airport shuttles lined up and drivers directing passenger to their shuttle. Very convenient but expensive, they were asking 11.00 p/p and I had a party of four.

I walked pass the shuttles and crossed the street to the taxi stand. The taxi was only 14.10 to the airport.

What did he say when you questioned the $10 "tax"? I want to be ready if someone tries to pull that on me.