How could Princess improve?

Stateroom_Sailor

Take a page from Celebrity's handbook and offer truly inclusive and comprehensive adult drink packages. I just don't understand Princess's reluctance to counter what most of the competition is offering and having great success with.

[quote name='tgmtgm']Take a page from Celebrity's handbook and offer truly inclusive and comprehensive adult drink packages. I just don't understand Princess's reluctance to counter what most of the competition is offering and having great success with.[/QUOTE]

I don't drink enough to make drink packages worthwhile. For me, it's the free laundry-saves me lots of time in the self serve laundry on every cruise.

[quote name='Ethel5']I don't drink enough to make drink packages worthwhile. For me, it's the free laundry-saves me lots of time in the self serve laundry on every cruise.[/quote]

I could not agree more on the laundry!:D

Mike:)

[quote name='Ethel5']I don't drink enough to make drink packages worthwhile. For me, it's the free laundry-saves me lots of time in the self serve laundry on every cruise.[/QUOTE]

Free laundry?? How does that tie into the question at hand of how Princess could improve their product? Sorry- last thing I want to be bothered with on holiday is laundry. Now drinking on the other hand... :D

[quote name='tgmtgm']Free laundry?? How does that tie into the question at hand of how Princess could improve their product? Sorry- last thing I want to be bothered with on holiday is laundry. Now drinking on the other hand... :D[/QUOTE]

In case you missed it, the thread seguayed into what perks we would not like to see changed. Mine happens to be the free laundry as opposed to a drink package. You, on the other hand, want a drink package but don't care about laundry. Different strokes and all that.

[quote name='Ethel5']In case you missed it, the thread seguayed into what perks we would not like to see changed. Mine happens to be the free laundry as opposed to a drink package. You, on the other hand, want a drink package but don't care about laundry. Different strokes and all that.[/QUOTE]

I'll admit I didn't read each and every post on this thread, so I did not know what turn the conversation had taken. But that being said, no where in my response did I mention perks or laundry. Like you say, different strokes...

[quote name='tgmtgm'][COLOR="Red"]Free laundry??[/COLOR] How does that tie into the question at hand of how Princess could improve their product? [COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"]Sorry- last thing I want to be bothered with on holiday is laundry.[/COLOR][/COLOR] Now drinking on the other hand... :D[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tgmtgm']I'll admit I didn't read each and every post on this thread, so I did not know what turn the conversation had taken. But that being said, [COLOR="Red"]no where in my response did I mention perks or laundry[/COLOR]. Like you say, different strokes...[/QUOTE]

Here it is!

[quote name='tgmtgm']Take a page from Celebrity's handbook and offer truly inclusive and comprehensive adult drink packages. I just don't understand Princess's reluctance to counter what most of the competition is offering and having great success with.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to burst your bubble, but above is my initial response to the original question posed by the OP. For some perplexing reason you decide to quote me saying that you don't drink enough to make a drink package worthwhile, and that free laundry saves you time on cruises. Huh?? How is that relevant to Princess offering it's guests the option of purchasing a comprehensive alcoholic drink package?

Again, my post had absolutely nothing to do with CC perks or laundry. And there it is. ;) Edited by tgmtgm

[quote name='tgmtgm']Sorry to burst your bubble, but above is my initial response to the original question posed by the OP. For some perplexing reason you decide to quote me saying that you don't drink enough to make a drink package worthwhile, and that free laundry saves you time on cruises. Huh?? How is that relevant to Princess offering it's guests the option of purchasing a comprehensive alcoholic drink package?

Again, my post had absolutely nothing to do with CC perks or laundry. And there it is. ;)[/QUOTE]

OK........but, a lot of us would find little value in a drink package. If Princess decides to add another tier, the point that most of us make is that we don't want to lose the present perks.

[quote name='Ethel5']OK........but, a lot of us would find little value in a drink package. If Princess decides to add another tier, the point that most of us make is that we don't want to lose the present perks.[/QUOTE]

I give up. :eek:

Based on what I've seen of some of the drink packages on the other lines, with as much as they cost per day a lot of people would have to just about spend their entire cruise completely hammered in order to get their money's worth out of the package. Then again, for some people that seems to be the whole point...

As for things I'd like to see improved, I'd like to see pools open later in the evening. This seems to vary from ship to ship, but there are some ships where it seems like all the pools and hot tubs are closed by 9. It would also be nice if they didn't need to have something playing on MUTS every single minute of every day. Sure, a movie or two during the day might be OK, but all the concert DVDs playing constantly gets old fast.

[quote name='tgmtgm']I give up. :eek:[/QUOTE]

Never give up!!

I guess the point I'm trying to make and not doing it successfully, is that when a company "gives" you something or "improves" something or offers something, they usually take something away to keep the bean counters happy. So they might offer a drink package but take away a perk that others enjoy to keep the bottom line even. As pointed out, they may offer a drink package but make it very expensive to keep the profits up.

How could Princess improve, simple wind the clock back 10yrs and get the P&O Princess board to reject Carnivals offer and stay with the original agreement to merge with Royal Caribbean.
We would now have a fleet of superb Solstice class ships and possibly a couple of Quantum class ones on order. Not to mention being part of a far better company with much higher customer service standards.
Just my opinion of course.

[quote name='Ethel5']Never give up!!

I guess the point I'm trying to make and not doing it successfully, is that when a company "gives" you something or "improves" something or offers something, they usually take something away to keep the bean counters happy. So they might offer a drink package but take away a perk that others enjoy to keep the bottom line even. As pointed out, they may offer a drink package but make it very expensive to keep the profits up.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect- I'm talking apples, and you're talking avocados! A drink package is not a perk. It generates money for the cruiseline. People "buy" drink packages- they are not "given" as perks. I know the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't pertain to what I'm saying.

No one is going to take away your beloved laundry perk if drink packages become available for purchase.

To me, one of the highlights of travel is trying local foods. On Princess, I cannot tell where I am traveling based on the menu. I understand that huge dining operations need to have some rigidity in ordering, storing and preparing meals from standardized menus - but couldn't they include one or two local specialties each evening? A little index card clipped to the standard menu with, maybe, a soup and entrée or dessert from the areas we are cruising through...would that be so difficult? In multiple Princess cruises, I have probably eaten every item on all of their menus, and I am craving something different.

[quote name='JanBerlin']I would like to have (at least some) food choices that reflect the cruise region and season. Cruising since 2008 on Princess and am bored to tears with food variations, although the meals themselves are fine.[/quote]

I would agree (although I seem to remember both Alaska and the Baltic having at least some degree of "local" cuisine in the HC) and extend it to offering local beer/wine/liquor. I know that they offer[ed] Alaskan Amber on my Alaska cruise and would be cool if they offered a regional beer for other itineraries.

[quote name='tgmtgm']With all due respect- I'm talking apples, and you're talking avocados! A drink package is not a perk. It generates money for the cruiseline. People "buy" drink packages- they are not "given" as perks. I know the point you're trying to make, but it doesn't pertain to what I'm saying.

No one is going to take away your beloved laundry perk if drink packages become available for purchase.[/QUOTE]

Apples and avocados make a great salad! Thank you for disagreeing in such a polite manner. :)

[quote name='Vexorg']Based on what I've seen of some of the drink packages on the other lines, with as much as they cost per day a lot of people would have to just about spend their entire cruise completely hammered in order to get their money's worth out of the package. Then again, for some people that seems to be the whole point...

Not the case at all. Celebrity's top drink package costs $55 per day plus 15% gratuity. That gets you any and all alcoholic drinks with a menu price of up to $12. Plus, all specialty coffees, teas, sports drinks, juices, smoothies, and waters including Evian. So no, you don't have to be hammered daily to make it worthwhile. That's a complete misconception that always seems to get thrown around when talking drink packages.

[quote name='tgmtgm'][quote name='Vexorg']Based on what I've seen of some of the drink packages on the other lines, with as much as they cost per day a lot of people would have to just about spend their entire cruise completely hammered in order to get their money's worth out of the package. Then again, for some people that seems to be the whole point...

Not the case at all. Celebrity's top drink package costs $55 per day plus 15% gratuity. That gets you any and all alcoholic drinks with a menu price of up to $12. Plus, all specialty coffees, teas, sports drinks, juices, smoothies, and waters including Evian. So no, you don't have to be hammered daily to make it worthwhile. That's a complete misconception that always seems to get thrown around when talking drink packages.[/QUOTE]

The offer you outlined makes the assumption that the passenger will order alcohol and non-alcohol drinks. If that fits your habits then it works. However, somebody like myself that rarely (virtually never) orders soft drinks that have a fee would need to order quite a few cocktails to make it cost effective.

Considering Princess drink prices are relatively reasonable, I would need to order 7 drinks or more per day to break even. I enjoy my martinis but that's a bit much for me. ;)

Therefore, unless Princess is going to significantly going to raise their individual cocktail prices, and of course I hope they don't, I think the current Soda Card offerings is adequate to meet the needs of all but those who drink alcohol fairly heavily.

[quote name='msmoger'][quote name='tgmtgm']

The offer you outlined makes the assumption that the passenger will order alcohol and non-alcohol drinks. If that fits your habits then it works. However, somebody like myself that rarely (virtually never) orders soft drinks that have a fee would need to order quite a few cocktails to make it cost effective.

Considering Princess drink prices are relatively reasonable, I would need to order 7 drinks or more per day to break even. I enjoy my martinis but that's a bit much for me. ;)

Therefore, unless Princess is going to significantly going to raise their individual cocktail prices, and of course I hope they don't, I think the current Soda Card offerings is adequate to meet the needs of all but those who drink alcohol fairly heavily.[/QUOTE]

Also, many lines require both passengers to buy the package. While I might be able to put away $45 worth of drinks a day, I don't think my wife would.

[quote name='Nebr.cruiser']We like Princess, obviously, since we'll be on our 10th cruise with them in one week. But, some changes I'd like to see:

Bigger showers, or at least a footrest in the shower, or a shower door.

Bring back the longer shows; I hate the 30 minute format--and the down-sized productions (sets, dancers, etc.)

Interactive TV like they have on Celebrity and the new Royal Princess, with movies on demand.

Larger and better organized buffet area--it's just too cramped.

Get rid of the horrible new balcony furniture--and I've heard it's coming on the sun decks too!

Don't let people who aren't signed up for it into Anytime dining, as it ruins it for those who actually belong there.

Truly monitor chair hogging.[/quote]

You do realize that you have described in every detail what you find on a Celebrity S class ship.;)