12 days til we cruise without our kids-what do we need to do?

queenL

It's our first cruise leaving our kids behind. I'm tearing up already at the thought of leaving them behind. :) It's long overdue for us to have some Mom and Dad time alone. We talk so much on this board about bringing the kids on cruises but what about when we leave them behind? I want to make sure I've covered all the essentials. We've updated life insurance and our will. I plan to leave the pediatricians info and health insurance card. If (God forbid) my parents had to take them to the emergency room could they be treated without our consent? Do I need to leave some temporary guardianship form too? Are there any other things I'm forgetting?

The most important thing to remember is that bottle of wine you can bring on the ship.

We did this for this first time last year - it is amazing to forget you are a parent for a few days and re-acquaint yourself with your spouse and enjoy each other for a concentrated amount of time.

Chances are your kids will have no problems while you are gone and they will have a great time having a break from their parents!

I know it's hard not to feel guilty about leaving the kids, but realize that it's HEALTHY to leave them! You are not JUST a parent....you are part of a couple, and couples need some "alone" time! You're leaving the kids with the folks who love them most...their grandparents! They did a good job with you, and they will do BETTER with their grandkids! No worries!

Even if you don't have all the consents, etc....they WILL be treated in case of emergency!

Now, stop worrying and prepare to have a great, adult time!!!!!

Thanks guys!

I know they will be fine. I will get the notorized form. My 6 yr is already ready to get rid of us. I asked her to do her homework and she sighed and asked me how many more days until Grandma comes. :D

You do need to leave a letter behind that allows your parents to seek medical treatment for the kids.

Not true. I don't know why people keep posting this. If your kids have a medical emergency, they will be treated. Have any of you ever wondered what happens when someone has a bad accident or car crash? Do responders and medical personnel wander about asking about who gives consent for treatment? Totally ridiculous. I'm an R.N. and it's called implied consent. Medical professionals are not going to let your children suffer, be sick or die because you are out of the country and there is no "letter".

Not true. I don't know why people keep posting this. If your kids have a medical emergency, they will be treated. Have any of you ever wondered what happens when someone has a bad accident or car crash? Do responders and medical personnel wander about asking about who gives consent for treatment? Totally ridiculous. I'm an R.N. and it's called implied consent. Medical professionals are not going to let your children suffer, be sick or die because you are out of the country and there is no "letter".

I always give my parents a letter when I leave my kids with them, as does my sister. Last summer, both my dd and her dd came down with swimmer's ear while my sister was away, and I was out for the day. Luckily, my sister gave my mom the letter - the walk in clinic would not treat my niece without it. They had my mom call me, and allowed my dd to be treated, after talking to me.

It's not always a life and death emergency, and writing up a letter isn't very difficult. I don't know why a parent would not take this step (I always sent them along with my kids when they travelled with others, too).

Try

http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/medicalconsent/?pid=google-mdcnst_us-main_a1-bpe-c-ggkey_child%20medical%20authorization&s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|593987957

for a sample form. As a lawyer in Georgia (OP appears to be in Atlanta, GA), I would suggest giving the caregiver (Grandma) a copy of a similar form. Emergency care would be provided, but routine care, however necessary, would likely not. Enjoy the cruise without the kids. We are taking our first cruise with the kids (17 and 15).

Your pediatrician's office may have a form that you can also sign giving permission for your parents to seek medical attention at the Dr's office. Ours does and we have both of DH's parents and my mom and brother on the list.

I don't know when your school is out, but if it's not, make sure that you let the school know that you authorize your parents to drop off, pick up, etc.

Most of all, just don't forget to have a great time! We had our first trip away from the kids last year and it was amazing! We spent some money on a phone package with our company so that we could call home internationally without a huge cost and also bought an internet package so we could keep in touch, but we made sure to spend as much quality time together as we could since who can guess when the next time we'll have the chance will be (we don't have any family near us)

When my eldest son was about 4, we took him on his first cruise aboard the Explorer of the Seas (- 2003, Eastern Caribbean cruise) and left his 1year old brother with my parents.

We had a wonderful week.

My younger son ended up contracting Coxackie Virus shortly after we left.

Blisters on the hands and in the mouth, fever, pain.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/coxsackie.html

According to my parents... it was a rough week for them. Fortunately, my sister is a pediatrician and she came over to help them out, but it was the last time they offered to watch any of the kids for that long a stretch.

Which is why my daughter's first cruise occurred when she was a midge.

0srk.jpg

Awesome, awesome memories.

Edited by Mack2

Try

http://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/medicalconsent/?pid=google-mdcnst_us-main_a1-bpe-c-ggkey_child%20medical%20authorization&s_kwcid=ContentNetwork|593987957

for a sample form. As a lawyer in Georgia (OP appears to be in Atlanta, GA), I would suggest giving the caregiver (Grandma) a copy of a similar form. Emergency care would be provided, but routine care, however necessary, would likely not. Enjoy the cruise without the kids. We are taking our first cruise with the kids (17 and 15).

Thanks- I do live in the Atlanta area and very useful site. I will have to bookmark this.

You don't mention the ages of your children so this may not apply to you :o but we took a cruise at the beginning of this year and my in-laws stayed with our kids. I took a shoe box for each day we were going to be gone, filled it with snacks, coloring books, xbox games, movie, candy and also a picture of my husband and I. I wrapped them with Christmas paper - since our cruise was right after the new year. Each day the kids opened a new box of surprises. It helped them to understand how long we would be gone and when we were coming home. Also, gave Grandma and Grandpa a new activity to do with them and a new movie for each night. I also had meals made and frozen for use throughout the week so that cooking was not a burden. And we left cash in case they needed to run to the store for something.

We did leave a note authorizing medical treatment and the names/numbers of their dentist and doctors office. The location of the urgent care and number of the pharmacy. Thankfully our kids stayed healthy and had a great week with their grandparents.

Hope that you enjoy your cruise - it's a great way to connect as husband and wife. We're eager to go cruising again but are planning to take the kids along next time.

Implied consent applies when the patient cannot reply for him- or herself. If the patient is conscious and competent to reply (and "competence" can include the age of a minor, e.g., a two-year-old cannot consent to or refuse treatment), the responders have to get consent to treat, and the patient can, of course, refuse. If the grandparents had to take a child in for care for a non-immediately-life-threatening condition, there could be permission issues which might delay treatment and at the very least would increase the stress level. It's certainly not "ridiculous" to try to cover bases in advance and minimize potential problems by notifying the pediatrician's office and giving the grandparents a permission letter.

I realize heathcare if different in Canada, but don't your kids have a heath card or something? Why would anyone need permission to go to a doctor?

In Canada, there is a hierarchy of people who are able to provide consent for someone who is not able to consent for themselves. Parents and legal guardians are at the top of the list for children. In an emergency, care would be provided without necessarily contacting the appropriate person, but for more routine care this could be dicey. For example, if there was a medical treatment being proposed that doesn't have a clear risk:benefit profile, the parent or guardian would be asked to make the judgement call. As a health care professional, I wouldn't accept anyone except the parent giving me this direction, but this consent could be given over the phone, or delegated to someone else. If it was a life or death situation, different story. In Canada, most hospitals treat first, ask for health card numbers later.

I work in geriatrics so whomever I am told is the spouse or child(ren) is who I consult, unless I have reason to think that this person is not acting in the clients best interests.

I've never been further than a few hrs away from our children and always within cell phone range, but if we do leave them overnight they are left with our contact info and health cards. Caregivers are instructed to call an ambulance, then us :)