Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

Thanks for the review. Bringing back some great memories as this was the first cruise that we did with the kids on the Serenade. It was on the beach in St. Kitts that my daughter (then 10) declared that we should make this " Our Usual Beach". Haven't been back to St Kitts but have been to many other wonderful beaches in the past few years.:)

Do you remember what time disembarkation began?

No, No, I don't, because that's what happens if you don't take and keep notes, you forget;) BUT lucky for you...ta da!!

153551185.jpg

I didn't forget to scan the debarkation info:D

For those of you following along, cruising along in your minds as the winds howl outside your home in Manitoba or Chicago, who just are not ready to think about debarkation yet, ( sheesh, we haven't even got to Dominica!!) I will repost this later...so you can just ignore this for now and wait till we dock in Dominica to re join us if it makes you feel better:o

Thanks for the review. Bringing back some great memories as this was the first cruise that we did with the kids on the Serenade. It was on the beach in St. Kitts that my daughter (then 10) declared that we should make this " Our Usual Beach". Haven't been back to St Kitts but have been to many other wonderful beaches in the past few years.:)

What a sweet is that! :D And it obviously became your screen name!! If only it could have become "your usual beach!" We loved it, we weren't there long enough!!

Edited by Familygoboston

Boston to SJ

While I'm not FROM Boston, we are very parochial in MA with every neighborhood and suburb having it's own government and identity and yet, we are all FROM Boston...it's a thing, if you are not from here you may not get it. And I would add that it sometimes extends well beyond MA in many cases...it might have something to do with our regional sports teams, a strong regional identity despite the fact that there may be 40 separately named cities and towns in the same square mileage that would be called "Atlanta" or "St Louis" anywhere else, I don't know why, but "it is what is is"!

After collecting myself, it was an uneventful flight.

I get exaclty what you are talking about. I consider Boston to be my city even though I am not actually from Boston. And it doesn't even have anything to do with the Rd Sox. I think it is the North End that I feel an allegence to.

I get exaclty what you are talking about. I consider Boston to be my city even though I am not actually from Boston. And it doesn't even have anything to do with the Rd Sox. I think it is the North End that I feel an allegence to.

Exactly!! And you are from RI...like I said, it's just a thing. Kind of unique, but there it is!:D I guess you could say for a lot of New Englanders its their "usual city";)

Where are you off to next OB?

Edited by Familygoboston

Exactly!! And you are from RI...like I said, it's just a thing. Kind of unique, but there it is!:D I guess you could say for a lot of New Englanders its their "usual city";)

Where are you off to next OB?

I'm going to try to get over to London for a few days after new Years if the weather is reasonable, Allure in March, and then hopefully over to Italy in late spring to visit the family. Nothing is exactly set in stone yet.

I noticed on your cruise compass that self assist departure is restricted to US citizens only. Never come across that before, we prefer to self assist and get off early and enjoy a day exploring. Any one have any idea if this is just in PR or if policy has changed?. (Last self assist for us (uk citizens) was in US was Baltimore last January).

I noticed on your cruise compass that self assist departure is restricted to US citizens only. Never come across that before, we prefer to self assist and get off early and enjoy a day exploring. Any one have any idea if this is just in PR or if policy has changed?. (Last self assist for us (uk citizens) was in US was Baltimore last January).

I saw the self-assist restriction in PR last year coming off Adventure. Some of our friends from Germany could not use the self-assist. I've not been aware of that restriction elsewhere on the US, but could be I just didn't notice.

Edited by clarea

I'm pretty much caught up with posting everything I've written already and still need to "write" Dominica and the rest of the trip...but we have some big plans for the weekend (We are going to the Patriots vs the Browns game in Foxboro on Sunday) so I won't be able to write this weekend. I will try to write on Monday...I'm thinking that writing about Dominica will be just what I need to thaw out after the game;):D We've got lots of photos from our "Off the Beaten Path" tour with Woody and our Sail on Calabaza in Barbados. Even our time in San Juan includes a tour of Old San Juan and a trip to Fajardo to see the Bio-luminescencent Bay...so lots more photos to come...plus the rest of the menus and Cruise Compasses.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!

At least the game is at 1. Nothing worst than a 4pm game at Foxbourgh.

Hola! I am cruising the Jewel on January 4. I'm so excited! I absolutely love your review. Muchas gracias!

By the way, I am from Puerto Rico. When you come again you can visit me. (Sorry for my writing. For me is easier to speak english that to write it. Lol)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hola! I am cruising the Jewel on January 4. I'm so excited! I absolutely love your review. Muchas gracias!

By the way, I am from Puerto Rico. When you come again you can visit me. (Sorry for my writing. For me is easier to speak english that to write it. Lol)

I am imagining your voice rebeka as I read this. I can hear you speaking with an accent. LOL :)

I'm not from Boston, but I have an allegiance to Mike's Pastry in the North End! :)

At least the game is at 1. Nothing worst than a 4pm game at Foxbourgh.

In January- Brrrrr! Our seats are on the light house ( closed) end and on the sunny side, so that helps! But we are pretty hardy and brought lots of warmies

Hola! You will love it! Mucho bueno! And that's the extent of what I can write and I has to consult my daughter to make sure it was right!:o

Thanks Russ:o, so kind of you! Those summit cabins looked pretty amazing! You'll have to let me know what you think. DH is a little fearful that Celebrity might be too sedate for us (but then again, after reading the first 4 days of our cruise we aren't exactly wild partiers now are we? Hitting the hay at 11 PM and only making it to the Diamond lounge for our free drinks once:rolleyes:

This will be our first time sailing with Celebrity. Our past two cruises have been with the kids on RCCL and we are taking them again in March with RCCL. We love what they have to offer for the whole family. We have heard that Celebrity is a bit more sedate and the service and food a slight step up from RCCL (although we have always been happy with RCCL). We thought we would give them a try this time out. Now, if RCCL added a flowrider to their ship doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary, I know which ship I would definitely be on. Keep up the excellent work on the review.

enjoying the review as this is the itinerary I am doing in a month. I was in St. kitt's a while back and took a bike Ride (could have been 10 yrs ago on Celebrity). There were about 20 of us and two of the ladies were in the swag truck after about 10 minutes. Their husbands were there and did not to go without them. One had not ridden since she was a kid. The big hill is one we rode. The truck was full so no backing out. I got over half way up and had to walk. I made it but it took a lot out of me. The beer at the end was welcome. I have been debating trying it again. Art was the one running the tour at the time. he had done the iron man triathlon they have on St. Kitt's and Nevis. There was even one local rider who kept biking up and down the hill. Training I suppose.

Waiting to hear more.

enjoying the review as this is the itinerary I am doing in a month. I was in St. kitt's a while back and took a bike Ride (could have been 10 yrs ago on Celebrity). There were about 20 of us and two of the ladies were in the swag truck after about 10 minutes. Their husbands were there and did not to go without them. One had not ridden since she was a kid. The big hill is one we rode. The truck was full so no backing out. I got over half way up and had to walk. I made it but it took a lot out of me. The beer at the end was welcome. I have been debating trying it again. Art was the one running the tour at the time. he had done the iron man triathlon they have on St. Kitt's and Nevis. There was even one local rider who kept biking up and down the hill. Training I suppose.

Waiting to hear more.

Sounds like they are a good outfit! We enjoyed it! We didn't have to ride up the hill because he took 5 at a time up in the back of the truck. DH threatened to bike it; it was less of a distance or hill than our bike up the belvedere in Moorea,but I was happy to use the time site seeing instead of pumping!;)

I've got Dominica almost written, but it's been a crazy day, on the run outside the house! Hopefully when I'm home later I can get more up!

I'm interested to see what you did on Dominica. We were there a couple years ago and did a great island/beach tour with Beno.

Really enjoying your review, nice to read it as we'll be on Jewell for the first time in March. To tide us over until then we're going to Florida for a week after Christmas - Marco Island, and Key West for New Years Eve:D

I'm interested to see what you did on Dominica. We were there a couple years ago and did a great island/beach tour with Beno.

Really enjoying your review, nice to read it as we'll be on Jewell for the first time in March. To tide us over until then we're going to Florida for a week after Christmas - Marco Island, and Key West for New Years Eve:D

You are in luck...Dominica is next! Are you going back in March? Nothing wrong with Christmas in Marco and NYE in Key West...enjoy!:D

Day 5 Dominica

(pano from our balcony docked at Dominica)

153596207.jpg

This was our first visit to Dominica. We were really looking forward to it, it was an island we had not visited before and Jewels first call there since she arrived in the Southern Caribbean again.

There haven't been a lot of CC reviews that include Dominica and not a few people get it mixed up with the Dominican Republic. DR is a much beachier/resort white sands sort of place that shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti. People mention concerns about crime there (I haven't been) and tend to stick close to their All Inclusive resorts. Dominica is a much "newer" volcanic island with black sand beaches, rain forests and rugged, mountainous terrain.

A little geology lesson...it's not boring, I promise, but if science makes you throw up, you can move on!

{side bar geology lesson: most islands are created by active volcanoes under the ocean floor along the various "plates" of the earth, the "oldest" ones have had enough millions of years to have the black lava bleach out to white fine sands; the "newer" (not as many millions of years old) islands still have black sands, fine, but not yet bleached out..and some of the "newest" islands still have lava on their shores that hasn't even broken down to "sand" yet (like those we visited in Galapagos and South Pacific)

The plates keep shifting and the "hot spots" (volcanoes) keep popping up a few miles down the road over the (many, many, many) years and this is what creates the "chain" of islands we know as an archipelago along the "plates". Eventually, the lava underwater traps all kinds of living things, soil, plants and eventually animals (such as coral) grow there and pretty soon, a whole little coral world is growing underwater at the base of each island...pretty darn cool, huh? I'm sure a real geologist, and not someone who just plays one on CC, could do a better explanation, but the important thing to remember is that all of the islands are older than me :p End of side bar geology lesson}

Dominica doesn't have near the infrastructure for tourism that the DR or other major islands have. They don't have an international airport, so guests arrive by small plane from one of the larger islands nearby (usually St Maarten) or ferry or cruise ship. Most of the accommodations are small boutique hotels and bed and breakfasts. Woody showed us a few larger hotel/resort projects that seem to be developed in fits and starts (and mostly are stopped before they are completed)

This seems like an ideal island to visit if you want to see what the Caribbean was like 20-50 years ago...people were so welcoming and friendly...we truly felt like they were happy to have us as guests on their island..not the sort of blase, almost resentful attitude you find on islands where we as guest have kind of overrun the island and they know they are kind of stuck with it because it is the base of their economy now. The people of Dominica have some very simple lifestyles, and there seems to be some desire not to open up the island to outside influences if it will significantly alter their way of life. But meanwhile, like most small island nations or territories with few resources, the economy is a challenge, so the debate goes on!

We had arranged to take an "Off the Beaten Path" tour with Woody. Onenewfonenot from our Roll Call had hired him for the day and he could fit two more in his 4x4, so with OneNewfs permission, we signed on to join them.

There was an announcement that we were running a little late docking in Dominica. This was Jewel's first call to Dominica this season, so there may have been a few kinks to work out. About a half an hour late, Capt Gus announced we were cleared, but he was not happy with the ramp placement and wanted to back the ship up a bit and find a safer location to disembark passengers. About an hour late, we were able to disembark and Capt Gus extended our time in port by 45 minutes so everyone could fit their excursions in. There was a P and O ship also in port.

Woody's Off the Beaten Path Tour

So we were off the ship...you make your way around a rather skeevy looking warehouse on a painted sidewalk and out to the cab area (a parking lot with cabbies waiting for fares) We met Woody there easily. His tour is about $100 PP and includes a snack and to go some places where everyone else is not.

Everyone else is going to see the Trafalgar falls, the Emerald pools and the Champagne beach where active sulfur springs create a "bubbly" snorkeling experience! We met a couple, Lee and Tim, who just engaged a taxi driver to do these "stops" for $100 for the 1/2 day. They were happy with their experience too, but I suppose it's hit or miss based on who you get driving the taxi.

Lots of rivers flowing to both the Atlantic side and the Caribbean side- this means lots of falls and lots of river tubing or kayaking excursions on this island.

Our tour took us to falls and beaches and both the Atlantic and Caribbean sides of the island; but as promised, we didn't see another tourist once we got past the first falls stop. The other sites are pretty neat sounding and I would have loved to check them out too, but I didn't relish sharing them with multiple tour buses and cabs all making their way to the same set of "sights". It's always a trade off between seeing the "signature (read touristy) sights, or seeing the "off the beaten path sites". Often times, especially with natural phenomena, we've found the same cool stuff and views can be found just a few miles away in a less touristy place. that's not always true (especially for monuments like the Eiffel tower or pyramids!) So I hope to go back and see the major sights, some day when not on a cruise trip!

We met Woody, standing with his sign in the taxi area. We walked to his Highlander (his Range Rover was on the blink- but the Highlander acquitted itself just fine!)

Woody is huge!! My DH is 6'6" and I think Woody was an inch shorter. He is a former Olympian who represented Dominica in swimming at the Atlanta games. He went to college and lived in Canada for long time, so while he has true roots in Dominica and passion for his country, he also understands the North American sensibility (pick up people on time, return their emails and return them to the ship on time- all of which he did superbly!!)

He has excellent customer service skills and is very active in the tourism industry in Dominica. He is one of the younger more progressive people there arguing for trying some new things to better their tourism economy (Twitter maybe??) while being respectful of the natural and cultural roots of the island.

He is also very involved with the youth and the Olympic movement on the island. He's been all over the world promoting the island and encouraging International Sports Federations (such as fencing) to invest in the young people in his island nation. In addition to being a great ambassador and tour guide; he's a pretty interesting guy to spend a day with!! Since I make it my business to understand the "business" of travel and tourism...we had many interesting conversations about his views to improve the tourism infrastructure in Dominica.

If you want to reach him, try his FaceBook page Woody Dominica.

Our first 1 stop was the most "touristy"; it's a quiet falls called the Jaco Waterfall. It has a little shopping area, where we met Linda and Denise (who is descended from the Carribe natives) who have little shops. The goods here are priced very cheaply; I didn't have the heart to bargain!

(Jaco waterfall Shopping Area)

153587021.jpg

(Here is Woody and I, holding a skin from a boa. They do live on the island, but are rare!)

153587000.jpg

(This is Linda, who was so excited and proud to have me visit her shop, and happy to have her photograph taken!)

153587026.jpg

(this is the basket Denise made...the Caribbes, like most native people, have a long tradition of basket making. I was honored to buy one, it was only $5! The Abenaki make similar baskets in Maine and I had seen them this size priced at $50 or more, you can pay thousands for art pieces)

903248_10202582617424484_966725054_o.jpg

(these trivets were in Linda's shop $4 each, made of lovely wood pieces!)

966459_10202582616824469_1344643130_o.jpg

Edited by Familygoboston

Jaco Falls

(Pano of the falls, you travel down the somewhat slippery stairs on the left and you are at the Falls)

153596209.jpg

(this shot by DH really captures the lushness of the rainforest in this area)

153587002.jpg

(and here is DH taking these photos!)

1492337_10202544391388857_1881810717_o.jpg

153587007.jpg

153587009.jpg

(Onenewf and I chatting with Woody at the Falls)

153587012.jpg

Jaco Falls

For this tour, there isn't any strenuous hiking, but several places we went were, well, off the beaten (and perfectly paved) path. I was very happy I chose to wear my amphibious keens, quick dry clothing over my bathing suit. A water proof camera is also a good idea!

The falls themselves had slippery rocks, and I was glad I had good shoes because I did go in for a little wading...but not as much as Mr NotNewf did...check him out in there in the photos...ah to be young...it was coooold!

(Mr Notnewf in the falls with slippery rocks in the foreground!!)

153587014.jpg

(Then joined by Mrs Onenewf...braving the cold!)

153587017.jpg

There is a place to change if you decide to go in and want to get out of your wet bathing suit afterwards, but the other beach stops don't really have a "rest room", so you'd need to make a change in the woods. (which is not a problem, since there is literally not another soul around!) But I found it easier to just wear my suit with quick dry shorts over them.

(a last look at the falls before we move on)

153587019.jpg