Jewel Day by Day Photo Review 11/16/2013 (Southern Caribbean)

your husband takes some great pictures. I am a month away but can't wait now. I forget all the details I love till I get there. I may go to your beach in St martin. The thought of hearing just the ocean and seeing the water rolling in is so appealing. Thanks for all the detail. Wish I was doing a back to back.

michelle

Me too- especially since its different ports!! But we had a dog and 16 yo who not have appreciated that!;) Keep Coco warm for us... we really enjoy the vibe there!

Hi,our paths crossed on a previuos post somewhere...can you provide a fellow Bostonian with some feedback??.we were almost set to book this cruise for next Nov/Dec.We have sailed the Jewel twice before and have fond memories.However, we have been reading a lot of negative posts and comments.The entertainment,beds,condition of ship and service were all slammed.You seemed to have a great time.We seem to have similar attitudes as well.I am tall like your husband,did he have an issue with size of bed or quality of mattress...did the lounges seem to have decent entertainment,did you see any slipage in service or condition of the ship.Do you have any real negatives to report?? This is a great itinerary and we are still interested...THANKS!!:cool::cool::cool:

Hey BostonFred, I've seen you around he-ah befo-ah!;)

I have been on this ship twice in the last 18 months...no slippage that I could see. If anything , I think that Royal is making more things electronic and "seamless" and it is making it easier for the service to be top notch. I didn't find the ship at all "down at the heels", and I'd be honest...you saw my Hotel Plaza Des Aramas report, right? I am positive, but I don't sugar coat!

I think the current captain is setting the tone for service...he's very passenger involved and I believe these things pass through the whole crew when the top really walks the walk, and doesn't just talk the talk.

DH found the beds fine..he's tall and found that the beds are ample to fit him and I don't feel squeezed (which sometimes happen when we have to share a double:eek:)

I think you will see that in my earlier part of the review, that I find the lounge entertainment fairly strong- I especially liked the special performance of jazz by the house band in the Centrum. The headliners are always hit or miss- I generally find them energetic and talented, it's all a matter of if that particular "genre" interests you, for instance we like juggling, but not 3 tenors.

Now the production shows, I have been honest about in both this review and in my last Jewel review. While the performers are talented, I don't think they are very good productions to begin with. Both were too frantic, too disjointed and the music to "b" side for me to really enjoy them much. But again, that's one woman's opinion. I guess when it comes to entertainment, my thought is this, with such a port intensive itinerary, it doesn't need to be great because with such busy days, I'm ready to hit the hay by 10 PM!

I hope this helps; I really can't see the negative reviews, but I have traveled on Oasis class, and if you are expecting the same non stop, WOW, you may be let down. I went into Jewel knowing it was about the ports and I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly and fun the crew was. I also like the smaller ship for "running into" people frequently. So there are trade offs, but its' all here, my opinion- and I had a GREAT cruise!!

Pace yourself, now!

Look at that...unlike Cinderella, we actually made it past midnight:eek:

We stayed up for Quest...in the Safari Lounge

(my lousy iphone photo of Quest)

153596226.jpg

We didn't play, just went to observe and report;)

Carly is very funny and the crew playing seemed to have a great time...and I know others will beg to differ, but while Quest may be more fun to play in the old style lounges, its much more fun to watch in Studio B (on the larger ships) with the elevated seats and video replay.

In the lounge, its very funny for Carly, but really no one else can see what people are showing her. If you aren't sitting at the tables right next to her all you see are people's backs. I know I will need a flack jacket for saying this; but I prefer Quest with the video replay and seats being "above the action", so most people can see whats happening.

Also, for those very competitive Quest players; the lounge set up is inherently unfair...if your team is located outside the inner ring, you have no shot to win because you can't get to the CD in time. At least in Studio B all the teams are arrayed equidistantly around the rink.

Ok, I know, I know, that is entirely too much analysis of a silly game show..but that's what I do:o The bottom line is, go, have fun, see people's bottom lines:eek::p

Could not agree more.

Nice to see your San Juan portion. We spent a week there 8 years ago, and several nights before/after each cruise the past 4 years. We love Old San Juan:)

The forts are indeed awesome. There is cool little place there to visit called Casa Blanca that was a residence actually built for Ponce De Leon. San Juan is an OLD city!

Barrachina is nice, we had dinner there once for the flamenco show.

FYI there is a Pina Colada debate in San Juan. The Caribe Hilton where we stay also claims to be the birth place of the cocktail.

As others have said, some great photos.

Thanks! We were so impressed by how much OSJ had changed since we were there almost 20 years ago. I def want to go back and spend more time next time!

Yeah, the piña colada claim just seems unverifiable...seems to me that with all that rum and all those coconuts- someone had to have thought of it before;)

I love all the information you post about your pictures. It really helpes to know what, where, when and why they were taken.

Norine

Thanks, I like to post what I want to know myself! It's no good if I see a picture and I don't know where it is, or how to get there, or what it costs- the Devi is in the details! I keep track of them in my phone (notes) and I bring a lot of paper work home. All my "history" came directly from the National Park brochure; got the trolley stops from their brochure, I think it's helpful, even though its more work to write, so thank you for appreciating it!:D

Old San Juan

While I sat in the lobby at the Hotel plaza De Armas resting a bit, DH wandered and looked for interesting subject matter. There are some incredible architectural photography opportunities in this town...plenty to see! I can't tell you exactly where these photos were made since DH was just wandering!

153587220.jpg

153587221.jpg

(a sense of some of the shops on Fortaleza)

153587222.jpg

153587223.jpg

(DH like the mix of old and new architecture here!)

153587224.jpg

Coming up tomorrow...our kayaking tour of the bio luminescence bay in Farjado

El Morro

(dwarfed by those walls!)

153587200.jpg

153587201.jpg

(Triangle stairs- if you are coming up them from the outside, you can't see what or who is around the corner waiting for you, another strategic defense!)

153587202.jpg

(view to San Cristobal from a lookout at El Morro)

153587203.jpg

If you ever get back to Old San Juan you should try a Segway tour. Lots of fun especially around the fort.

Ginny who has been commenting in this threa and who was on my Allure cruise and on my next Jewel cruise will be doing Oasis in 2015 for just that same reason. I was tempted as they are a fun bunch of people (see if I say that after 2 cruises ;) ) But I want to go back on Freedom and for the same itinerary you get one more port at Grand Caymen which I will probably use for diving.

Hey hey hey! We will still be a fun bunch after two cruises, although I can't guarantee the extra drama that came with the last one!:eek::rolleyes: I think you will miss us. And to think you are going to ditch us and Lady O for a bunch of silly stingrays!:p

That would be fun- there are so many big wide walkways around there!

We loved the Segway tour in OSJ. And I must say it was the best way we have ever visited El Morro. This time I would like to visit San Cristobal. We have missed that fort, even after 3 previous visits to San Juan.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Bio-luminescence Kayaking Trip

There is a place in Puerto Rico known as Laguana Grande; inside this bay live naturally a microorganism that uses energy to create a flash, as a defense against slightly larger organisms who might try to eat it. This tiny, invisible dinoflagellate is too small to see with the naked eye, but when it is disturbed in the water (by splashing or paddling) it creates a light similar to a fire fly, though much smaller. Many of them together near each other appear as "sparkles" in the dark water. It's a pretty amazing sight, and one that is only available in certain places.

In PR, you can see these in Farjado at the Laguana Grande. Farjardo is about a 1 and 1/2 hour drive from OSJ and the Condado area, so if you don't ahve a rental car, you'll need to buy a package that includes a pick up and drop off. Most of the tours offered today are kayaking tours. In the past people used to go swimming in the laguana or bring motorized vehicles, but in order to protect the tiny organisms, (and the tourist dollars they attract:rolleyes:) swimming is no longer allowed and only 1 or 2 operators is allowed to bring in electric motor boats.

There are several outfitters, We took Eco Adventures, but there is also Pure Adventure, Kayaking PR, and others; the only difference that I could discern between one and another was the color glow sticks stuck to the kayaks. All of the outfitters "put in" at Las Croabas, where there is a large public park. They all use the same sit on top tandem (2 at a time) kayaks, it costs about $50 per person, plus whatever they quote you to pick you up from your hotel, they are all led by experienced leaders, most of the participants have little or no experience in a kayak and unfortunately, all of them are going to the same place at the exact same time.

153587231.jpg

When you arrive at the put in, you will manage your "business" of paying and signing waivers, be given a safety briefing, and put on your PFD. There are easily 4-5 tour company "groups" of 6-8 kayaks each, and a lead and follow kayak with guides.

153587234.jpg

The first part of the trip is navigating the narrow mangrove channel in the dark (see the arrows on the photo below and the photo of the mangrove at the bottom of the sign) and it is very slow and crowded. It's dark and except for the glow sticks, you can't see the guides or other kayakers. You can't see whats around you, but you can hear the frogs ("coqui, coqui", which is a very unique and fun Puerto Rican experience in itself!) You can hear, but not see the iguana crashing through the tress above you, and you can hear, but not see the tarpon fish jumping in the mangrove.

I even had a very small fish leap into the kayak and while I couldn't see it, I could feel it desperately flopping around my ankle to try to get out. Some people would just curl up and die at this point, if that happened to them. I thought it was pretty cool, but I was trying desperately to scoop it out (and save the poor little thing!) but it was challenging in the dark!! We encountered no flying insects of any kind, even though bug stuff was offered, we did not need it. It's pretty loud as inexperienced kayakers ram into the banks laughing and shrieking and everyone shouts warnings for low branches. It's like a party vs a quiet nature experience.

(map of the tour and photo of the microorganism)

153587232.jpg

Once you get out into the bay, you get a little briefing about the micro organisms and why they glow and you can paddle around independently with a little more space and splash and see the dinoflagellates glow when you dip your paddles. After a while, the guide rounds up the groups and each group makes their way back down the mangrove trail.

Unfortunately, because of some developments being built along the laguana, the organisms have been "diluted" a bit and they do not glow as brightly (there aren't as concentrated). The organisms are also more difficult to see if the moon is full (I would say don't bother if it's full, as we had only OK sightings with 3/4 full moon) Ideally, it should be a moonless night or maybe 1/2 moon. We could still see the glow, but it was actually best at the mouth of the lagoon, where the mangrove channel ended because the mangrove trees overhead blocked some of the brightness off the sky.

It's important to know all this this because if you have an image of being out at night in this quiet natural environment, you should disabuse yourself of this image. Or if you have any misgivings about being out in nature in the dark, you might want to reconsider. There is nothing poisonous or intending to harm you, except mosquitoes! But if what I described would terrify you, it may not be for you! The guides were knowledgeable and answered questions, but it was clear that 3/4 of the people there were just there to see "something cool" and didn't care much about why or how it happens, or about any of the other natural things around them.

That doesn't mean it wasn't cool to do. We really enjoyed being out in the kayaks at night, listening to the sounds of the natural world...I only wish more people had "respected" the natural environment with a little more quiet instead of looking at it as party hearty; It would be better if it was more limited with fewer people being allowed into the lagoon each night.

Sorry we have no photo of the "glow" or even the area- DH brought his best "low light" waterproof set up, but it just was too dark to get anything meaningful!:(

What to bring and wear:

-wear your bathing suit and some water shoes

-we wore hats and surf shirt;

(they helped with warmth and protected us from potential "things' falling on your head)

-waterpoof camera and a way to attach it to you

(It's dark, if it goes over you can't see it)

-bring towels and something warm to wear home

(these and your wallet, you can leave safely shore side with the tour operator)

(Bio Bay tour)

153587233.jpg

Because we were staying in a hotel along the narrow (and very traffic filled) streets of OSJ, we were asked to meet the large van driver for our tour at the Sheraton, which is along a more major road. We traveled with another couple who was leaving on Carnival the next day.

We knew when we got back to the hotel, we would need to pack up and shower before getting some rest for our 5:30 AM taxi ride to the airport for a 7:50 flight back to Boston. We arrived back at the Sheraton at about 10 PM and decided we would make the call about whether it was safe to walk the few blocks back to the hotel when we got there.

Luckily, OSJ was alive with families enjoying the Christmas lights and sidewalk vendors. There were plenty of police and street buskers, the whole area seemed very safe and comfortable for tourists to walk around. So we walked back rather than hiring a cab...good move too, because the narrow streets of OSJ are all but gridlocked with traffic on a Saturday night! Walking was the way to go. Also we got the opportunity to check out these wonderful Christmas light displays by the waterfront. It was a lovely way to end our trip, as we anticipated going home and celebrating the holidays with our family.

Our only regret was that we didn't have more time to enjoy San Juan!

(OSJ Lights)

153587235.jpg

Thanks for following along our journey on Jewel; hopefully there has been something helpful here for you and at the very least you enjoyed DH's photos! I wish you and yours a very Happy New Year and many happy travels!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! Really appreciate you taking the time to do it!

Thanks Missy!! I enjoy doing them...although this time of year was challenging! We pay our final payment for a February cruise on Enchantment on Monday...so that will be next! (that will give me something to do in March, which is not the most pleasant of month in NE, no football, too early for BB, there is still snow on the ground, or if not, mud;))

Wonderful as always my friend. Reading along was almost like being there with you, almost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Randy! You were invited, I'm still hurt and you still aren't forgiven:p

And Hawaii is no excuse;)

Kidding, of course! Maybe we will get a chance to all sail together in 2015- Amy still owes me a Zumba class on deck:D

Thanks so much for the great review.

We will be in PR for a week in May and plan to do the Vieques Bio Bay with East Island Tours. Pick up in Fajardo and boat to Vieques for the Mosquito bay electric boat trip. We don't do kayaks well. We did that in Antigua and were so slow we missed all the nature talks by our guide.

Thanks for the Turtle pictures.

I will be looking forward to your future reviews.

Norine

Edited by Quilting Queen

Embarking in 28 days on your very same route and cannot be more excited. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. We will have 2 days pre cruise and 3 days post. (could have been 3 and 4 if it wasnt because of the dreadull flight times) and I will certainly take a lot of your advise. Thanks again!

Hiram

Thanks so much for the great review.

We will be in PR for a week in May and plan to do the Vieques Bio Bay with East Island Tours. Pick up in Fajardo and boat to Vieques for the Mosquito bay electric boat trip. We don't do kayaks well. We did that in Antigua and were so slow we missed all the nature talks by our guide.

Thanks for the Turtle pictures.

I will be looking forward to your future reviews.

Norine

Yes, when you mentioned not wanting to go to Vieques, I thought, oh I hope she does...I think it will be a little less crazy, fewer people for you, and you will enjoy it more. We love to kayak, but i would have liked to do this excursion with about 80 (or more) less people. Have you checked the moon chart yet?

Your not done yet! Your not even back to the airport! Was Logan still there when you made it back?

LOL, how do you know we didn't just stay in PR...lolling on Loquillo Beach with a Pina Colada right now:p

As if:rolleyes:, I just finished giving the house a top to bottom for all the upcoming parties and we are expecting 11 inches of snow tonight:eek: Actually, I'm actually really excited...we love to XC ski and that will give us a great base and our sledding hill will be perfect for our cousin party next week (with 10 preteens and teens coming!):D

Embarking in 28 days on your very same route and cannot be more excited. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. We will have 2 days pre cruise and 3 days post. (could have been 3 and 4 if it wasnt because of the dreadull flight times) and I will certainly take a lot of your advise. Thanks again!

Hiram

There is certainly plenty to do!

If you are there that long and a re a foodie also check out a restaurant in the Condado area called 1919

1919 Restaurant

Condado Vanderbilt Hotel

1055 Ashford Ave.

San Juan, PR 00907

When we dined at La Perla at La Concha, the folks sitting next to us had dined there the night before...very very good, very inventive and not cheap:eek:, but they live in Manhattan and said it was the best food they had had in a long time. So if you want a treat.

Also, do see the El Yunque rain forest and the water falls; we had done that before, so didn't do it on this trip.

There is a nice museum , Museum of Art and History of San Juan, that we did not have time to check out on trolley stop 22 or 23 between the El Morro and San Cristobal.

Have a great cruise!!

Great review and pics, thanks for sharing. Makes it seem that much sooner that we'll be on Jewell in March!:)

Thank you!! Enjoy your cruise...and (this is for everyone!!) Share some of your thoughts and pics when you get back- we all love to read the reviews!!:D

Yes, when you mentioned not wanting to go to Vieques, I thought, oh I hope she does...I think it will be a little less crazy, fewer people for you, and you will enjoy it more. We love to kayak, but i would have liked to do this excursion with about 80 (or more) less people. Have you checked the moon chart yet?

We plan to go on a Sunday night. Board at 4:00 in Fajardo with dinner then the electric boat tour of Mosquito Bio Bay. I think the cost is slightely over $100 pp. I have checked the moon chart on their web sight and if we waited until end of week there would be a full moon. We will be staying at Gran Melia in Rio Grand near Loquillo.

I hope you have a good Christmas and holiday season. Now you can relax since your review is finished.

Norine