Live from the Dawn - the update on boarding issues

legion3

I think this addresses most of the concerns of us future passengers here in the lack of communication from NCL regarding why this is happening and what they are doing to resolve the issue. More info would 'maybe' help.

I agree

But if there is one thing I have learned in the 4+ years cruising with NCL and being on CC is that except for the odd patronizing posts from NCL or specific with addresses to contact posts from NCL trying to help a single individual on CC. Communication is not their strongest asset.

If I didn't love their cruising concept, their ships, their itinerary and especially their hard working crew onboard. This factor alone would have me heading for the hills from the company. But all companies have their flaws, this is one I think NCL has. I always weigh positives against negatives and whichever comes out on top that's what I will go with. And I think their postives to what I am looking for in a vacation, outweighs their negatives to me.

Edited by che5904

I agree

But if there is one thing I have learned in the 4+ years cruising with NCL and being on CC is that except for the odd patronizing posts from NCL or specific with addresses to contact posts from NCL trying to help a single individual on CC. Communication is not their strongest asset.

If I didn't love their cruising concept, their ships, their itinerary and especially their hard working crew onboard. This factor alone would have me heading for the hills from the company. But all companies have their flaws, this is one I think NCL has. I always weigh positives against negatives and whichever comes out on top that's what I will go with. And I think their postives to what I am looking for in a vacation, outweighs their negatives to me.

Che - you are correct. We took our first ever cruise this past valentines day on POA and love the NCL freestyle concept which is why we decided to stay with them for this one. However I think the time may be coming when they may need to rethink their communications skills or they will start losing passengers.

Looking forward to the m&g on our cruise - we didn't know anything about CC or M&G when we did the first cruise.

Che - you are correct. We took our first ever cruise this past valentines day on POA and love the NCL freestyle concept which is why we decided to stay with them for this one. However I think the time may be coming when they may need to rethink their communications skills or they will start losing passengers.

Looking forward to the m&g on our cruise - we didn't know anything about CC or M&G when we did the first cruise.

Please don't let this dampen your enthusiasm for NCL. From my understanding the POA isn't anything like the rest of the fleet. So if you loved that one, you will be over the moon with our cruise.

This sort of thing crops up every now and then, whether it's a charter that has taken over and NCL didn't tell people quick enough, a storm brewing and NCL wasn't fast enough on communicating what was coming down the tube. But this is certainly not the norm. Usually there isn't much for them to communicate for. You book, you sail, you cruise, you love. ;) As you can see by my # of posts in 4 years, I spend a lot of time on CC and I disappeared for the last 6 months due to family priorities. (to some posters delight, I'm sure :p)

I did spend some time over on the Carnival boards prior to my cruise with them and they appeared to deal with lack of communication on what passengers felt was important as well.

I really think that can be said with most very large corporations. Most times their right hand doesn't know what their left hand is doing :D

Chin up, this will probably all blow over before we set sail.

Edited by che5904

I've been following this thread for a while, as we will cruise on the Dawn next Sunday. We have a OS, so I contacted our pre-cruise concierge with questions about the delays and what time we should arrive to board. He advised we not arrive before noon.

He also noted: "The port officials along with immigrations are currently performing mandatory drills to ensure guest safety. As an outcome this is causing delays for embarkation and debarkation."

If that makes sense to you, please let me know! :confused:

I've been following this thread for a while, as we will cruise on the Dawn next Sunday. We have a OS, so I contacted our pre-cruise concierge with questions about the delays and what time we should arrive to board. He advised we not arrive before noon.

He also noted: "The port officials along with immigrations are currently performing mandatory drills to ensure guest safety. As an outcome this is causing delays for embarkation and debarkation."

This is will be interesting, I told our pre-cruise concierge that we planned to arrive at 10:30am, It will be interesting to see what they advise as I asked for confirmation of my requests.

I'm equally confused about the reason they are giving for delay.

He also noted: "The port officials along with immigrations are currently performing mandatory drills to ensure guest safety. As an outcome this is causing delays for embarkation and debarkation.

LMAO

Yea, I guess the drills have been going on the last few weeks, or they have not gotten them right…………..which is scary :eek::D

To me, that means that the USCG is conducting a port state control inspection, which includes a mandatory fire and boat drill for the crew. These can be done in a couple of hours, and require the entire crew to participate, so they are not available to perform their normal turn-around duties. This delays turning the cabins, so delays embarkation. If the crew does not perform to the USCG's satisfaction, they can require the drill to be repeated until done properly. Not common, but it has happened.

That would generally only apply to one voyage, as the USCG has a hard time, with their budget, in meeting their goal of inspecting every ship at least twice a year. If this is happening on consecutive cruises, that might mean that the crew drill was such that the USCG allowed them to sail, with the provision that the drill would be repeated the next turn-around day. They will do this to prevent undue financial hardship on the ship owner by tying up the crew all day.

Hard to say without contacting the USCG, and they won't say anything anyway.

Edited by chengkp75

To me, that means that the USCG is conducting a port state control inspection, which includes a mandatory fire and boat drill for the crew. These can be done in a couple of hours, and require the entire crew to participate, so they are not available to perform their normal turn-around duties. This delays turning the cabins, so delays embarkation. If the crew does not perform to the USCG's satisfaction, they can require the drill to be repeated until done properly. Not common, but it has happened.

That would generally only apply to one voyage, as the USCG has a hard time, with their budget, in meeting their goal of inspecting every ship at least twice a year. If this is happening on consecutive cruises, that might mean that the crew drill was such that the USCG allowed them to sail, with the provision that the drill would be repeated the next turn-around day. They will do this to prevent undue financial hardship on the ship owner by tying up the crew all day.

Hard to say without contacting the USCG, and they won't say anything anyway.

This information is helpful! Perhaps a tad disturbing to think the crew has to continually perform these drills. One would hope that, after a couple of times, they'd get it right! :D

This information is helpful! Perhaps a tad disturbing to think the crew has to continually perform these drills. One would hope that, after a couple of times, they'd get it right! :D

You have to remember that some crew may not have experienced a USCG drill for a couple of years, depending on the crew's schedule and the USCG's timing of inspection. It also depends on the particular scenario that the USCG decides on (where the fire is, what the particulars are, how many people are trapped or injured, etc, etc), and the personal philosophy of the individual inspectors. Some are accommodating, and see that you have covered the main points of the emergency, while others will require very specific things are covered.

The USCG inspection/drills are the most stringent and demanding drills that the crew ever do.

Edited by chengkp75

You have to remember that some crew may not have experienced a USCG drill for a couple of years, depending on the crew's schedule and the USCG's timing of inspection. It also depends on the particular scenario that the USCG decides on (where the fire is, what the particulars are, how many people are trapped or injured, etc, etc), and the personal philosophy of the individual inspectors. Some are accommodating, and see that you have covered the main points of the emergency, while others will require very specific things are covered.

The USCG inspection/drills are the most stringent and demanding drills that the crew ever do.

Very informative, thank you.

Having been in the Coast Guard and helped with such drills and inspections all I can say is this really sounds like gobbledygook by the pre-concierge desk at NCL trying to pass the buck to anyone else for these delays.

While such drills occur this sounds awfully convienent and almost impossible to verify. and how many Sunday's is this going on? :rolleyes:

Having been in the Coast Guard and helped with such drills and inspections all I can say is this really sounds like gobbledygook by the pre-concierge desk at NCL trying to pass the buck to anyone else for these delays.

While such drills occur this sounds awfully convienent and almost impossible to verify. and how many Sunday's is this going on? :rolleyes:

I thought the same when I read it.

But my word was "BULLSH*T"!

Sailing this Sunday, and still waiting for the phone to ring with instructions about not arriving before 1... wonder if they think they've gotten things straightened out? :confused:

We're sailing this Sunday, too. Our pre-cruise concierge advised not checking in before 1 p.m. Don't know if this means they anticipate extensive delays :eek: during embarkation.

If NCL is telling people not to show up till 1 PM., does this mean that suite guests will receive an on board credit for a missed lunch at Cagney's? This is not the same as choosing to not go to Cagney's due to a shore excursion. Will Cagney's be open for a later lunch schedule?

My position is; if you paid for a lunch at Cagney's and NCL makes it impossible to enjoy what you paid for, you are entitled to a refund in the form of an on board credit.

If I paid for a steak at a sitdown lunch with linen table cloths, I don't plan on putting up with a standup hot dog by the pool. I have cruise coming up in two months out of Tampa and I expect, demand, NCL clear up this fiasco before then. By the way, we were paid in full long before this problem cropped up.

Edited by H&J

If NCL is telling people not to show up till 1 PM., does this mean that suite guests will receive an on board credit for a missed lunch at Cagney's? This is not the same as choosing to not go to Cagney's due to a shore excursion.

I've never heard of any store or business giving a store credit (OBC) for something that was comped in the first place.

I have cruise coming up in two months out of Tampa and I expect, demand, NCL clear up this fiasco before then. By the way, we were paid in full long before this problem cropped up.

You best get on the phone to some higher ups at NCL, demanding on CC really isn't going to do much good.

If NCL is telling people not to show up till 1 PM., does this mean that suite guests will receive an on board credit for a missed lunch at Cagney's? This is not the same as choosing to not go to Cagney's due to a shore excursion. Will Cagney's be open for a later lunch schedule?

My position is; if you paid for a lunch at Cagney's and NCL makes it impossible to enjoy what you paid for, you are entitled to a refund in the form of an on board credit.

If I paid for a steak at a sitdown lunch with linen table cloths, I don't plan on putting up with a standup hot dog by the pool. I have cruise coming up in two months out of Tampa and I expect, demand, NCL clear up this fiasco before then. By the way, we were paid in full long before this problem cropped up.

They did extend the time for Cagny's lunch for suite holders to 3 or 3:30 and some that got on early enough were able to partake. We got on at 2 which was in the first 100 and certainly were one of the earliest suite holders and we were able to get our meal.

However, I doubt most suite holders were able to enjoy cagny's that day. When we left our cabin the line snaked all around the building and at cagny's I saw maybe one other person eating. When we returned from lunch the line was still just as long as it had been or even longer.

No OBC's were offered for anything dealing with embarkation.

Have a big breakfast and have snacks with you and hopefully the boarding issues are in the rear view mirror.

I travel in suites and I have paid for the contractual right to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. NCL is NOT giving me something I didn't pay for. Nothing is "free", it's just included in the cabin class you bought, be it standard, suite or haven. You pay for the level of amenities you want. NCL is a business; you pay and they are obliged to provide.

And earlier this year on the Dawn there were white linen table cloths on the tables for breakfast and lunch. I can't comment on tablecloths in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Maybe NCL has changed it's table cloth policy since earlier this year; I hope not. If I wanted to eat on plastic, I'd go to the "trough", a/k/a buffet. I refer to it as the "trough" not because of the quality of food but because of the behavior of some who "eat" there.

Whatever the problems are in boarding in Tampa, I expect and demand they be resolved, otherwise I'm taking my next booking elsewhere. I don't care who it is, if you can't get your act together, you don't deserve my business.

I travel in suites and I have paid for the contractual right to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. NCL is NOT giving me something I didn't pay for. Nothing is "free", it's just included in the cabin class you bought, be it standard, suite or haven. You pay for the level of amenities you want. NCL is a business; you pay and they are obliged to provide.

Even if one were to look at it that way. Your contract doesn't go from lunch on day of embarkation. It goes from time of your cruise. Which technically is 4pm, making it after lunch time. Even if you were to stretch that to the time required to be onboard, lunch would be over.

So your "contractual" argument doesn't hold much.

But by all means go for your demands (as I said before please take them directly to NCL). That way by the time I cruise it should be all fixed up, since the tone of your posts appear that you believe you have quite a bit of power compared to the 1000's of others that so far have been affected by this and haven't had much luck in getting this resolved immediately.

Even if one were to look at it that way. Your contract doesn't go from lunch on day of embarkation. It goes from time of your cruise. Which technically is 4pm, making it after lunch time. Even if you were to stretch that to the time required to be onboard, lunch would be over.

So your "contractual" argument doesn't hold much.

But by all means go for your demands (as I said before please take them directly to NCL). That way by the time I cruise it should be all fixed up, since the tone of your posts appear that you believe you have quite a bit of power compared to the 1000's of others that so far have been affected by this and haven't had much luck in getting this resolved immediately.

Using your logic, you couldn't a hotdog down by the pool till the ship left the dock. Possibly your legal assessment has a foreign spin to it but I can assure you that you it's not American jurisprudence or maritime law. With regard to your evaluation as to the "tone" of my posts, your are entitled to your opinion but I put it on the same level as my brother-in-law's.

Regarding your "power" statement; yes, I have power, the "power of the wallet" and I'm not afraid to wield it. In my opinion, far to many people put up with crappy service and don't raise their voice to complain about it or taken corrective economic action, which diminishes the whole experience for everyone.

I'm sure that NCL's investors will take note of the fallout from the Tampa fiasco.

Using your logic, you couldn't a hotdog down by the pool till the ship left the dock. Possibly your legal assessment has a foreign spin to it but I can assure you that you it's not American jurisprudence or maritime law. With regard to your evaluation as to the "tone" of my posts, your are entitled to your opinion but I put it on the same level as my brother-in-law's.

Regarding your "power" statement; yes, I have power, the "power of the wallet" and I'm not afraid to wield it. In my opinion, far to many people put up with crappy service and don't raise their voice to complain about it or taken corrective economic action, which diminishes the whole experience for everyone.

I'm sure that NCL's investors will take note of the fallout from the Tampa fiasco.

As I've said, go for it, you will help me! :D

You are just the kind of illiterate jerk (check your grammar and spelling) that I do NOT want to encounter on a cruise.

These posts are supposed to be helpful and to a good extent they are. Yours, however, are nothing more than ugly ranting.

Good day, sir, and good luck with the NCL brass.

I can assure you that Cagny's did not have white linen table cloths on its tables for either Breakfast nor Lunch.

The tables had light brown place mats only on a plain dark wood -like table. My kids colored on some kids menus and the place mats had a unique texture that made the coloring match that design. Also I am always careful to have my kids, crayons and white table cloths together. No such worries were called for.

I don't recall if they had them at diner or not when we ate at the steakhouse one evening.

nclcruise146_zps4f57b0df.jpg

This is Cagny's just before breakfast as I wanted to take some pics of the breakfast spread before anyone got to it.

The Venitian MDR did have table cloths for breakfast. This is early AM before Breakfast

nclcruise140_zps732078be.jpg

Edited by legion3