Live from the Dawn - the update on boarding issues

legion3

This Tampa problem still amazes me. Have cruised ncl to western carib. Tampa to Tampa a few times in past 6 to 18 mos. Each time passengers both embarked and disembarked at Cozumel. Had no problem in Tampa ever. One of easiest ports we have used. Why would the Cozumel stop suddenly change things? :confused:

This is a little concerning to me. DH and I have passports but our DD & DSIL were planning to use their birth certificates and driver's licenses. I'm betting that they are not the only ones planning to show up at the Port of Tampa with a BC/DL combo. I believe most everyone who has been experiencing the delays in Tampa have travelled on a BC/DL combo. If there had been a change to passports required, the clamor would have been heard all over CC. What CBP is doing, IMHO, is using the BC/DL but running them through the system, not just looking to see that you match the picture.

How would I go about determining whether they need a passport for this particular cruise? They still have enough time to get expedited passports, if necessary, but they are a little cash-strapped (grad student married to a musician) at the moment. OTOH, I'd hate for them to show up and not be allowed to board.

Call NCL or CBP for guidance.

This is a little concerning to me. DH and I have passports but our DD & DSIL were planning to use their birth certificates and driver's licenses. I'm betting that they are not the only ones planning to show up at the Port of Tampa with a BC/DL combo.

How would I go about determining whether they need a passport for this particular cruise? They still have enough time to get expedited passports, if necessary, but they are a little cash-strapped (grad student married to a musician) at the moment. OTOH, I'd hate for them to show up and not be allowed to board.

It's still a closed loop cruise for people starting and ending in Tampa Someone posted earlier they waived the requirement for a passport

I think ncl will handle this within the next couple weeks. So far how many cruises has it effected?

My experience on the 11/17 sailing was that immigration was using a slower process for everyone than what I have experienced before. Instead of scanning a passport, for example, they were looking at the front page, looking at the person, typing in information or queries on the keyboard (our officer was a one finger typist). Our process for two persons took about 3-4 minutes whereas before it probably took less than one minute.

At the same time, they only had 3 immigration officers at the start and for the first 1.5 hours or so...then they increased the staffing to 7 out of the 8 available stations. They did not have someone at the end of the line to vector passengers to the next open officer, so that confusion added time to the process as well.

We did not learn "why" the immigration process had been changed to a slower one or why the staffing was so low for the first 2 hours.

I don't believe that the documentation requirements were changed, just that the staffing was too light and the clearance process was slower than usual.

Call NCL or CBP for guidance.

Well now see the only problem with calling CBP is that nobody is absolutely for certain what the problem and/hold ups are really about. And nobody would really know what question to ask them.

For example (please assume I'm American for the sake of argument). "I want to know if I require a passport". "I'm taking what appears to me as a closed loop cruise, I am starting in a U.S. port and ending in the same and the cruiseline states no where that this is anything but a closed loop", but I've just discovered they may be picking up a few people in one of our stopped ports, but I'm still personally doing a closed loop". "on the other hand, I understand by reading a site called cruise critic that there could be more than modified processing done when I get back to my home port because of these extra passengers we've sort of gained during the cruise"...... OK CBP at this point and time would be so darn confused.

Result "well sir/mame IMO perhaps you should just air on the side of precaution and get a passport" (In his mind thinking because I have no feakin' idea what you are talking about) :D :D :D

Well now see the only problem with calling CBP is that nobody is absolutely for certain what the problem and/hold ups are really about. And nobody would really know what question to ask them.

For example (please assume I'm American for the sake of argument). "I want to know if I require a passport". "I'm taking what appears to me as a closed loop cruise, I am starting in a U.S. port and ending in the same and the cruiseline states no where that this is anything but a closed loop", but I've just discovered they may be picking up a few people in one of our stopped ports, but I'm still personally doing a closed loop". "on the other hand, I understand by reading a site called cruise critic that there could be more than modified processing done when I get back to my home port because of these extra passengers we've sort of gained during the cruise"...... OK CBP at this point and time would be so darn confused.

Result "well sir/mame IMO perhaps you should just air on the side of precaution and get a passport" (In his mind thinking because I have no feakin' idea what you are talking about) :D :D :D

As much as I like to jump on federal employees, I think that:

" My family is travelling on a cruise from Tampa to Tampa. My husband and I have passports, and I wan't to know if my children will need them as well. The cruise apparently picks up passengers in Cozumel, Mexico, so this changes the status of the cruise. Do we need passports?" would suffice.

As much as I like to jump on federal employees, I think that:

" My family is travelling on a cruise from Tampa to Tampa. My husband and I have passports, and I wan't to know if my children will need them as well. The cruise apparently picks up passengers in Cozumel, Mexico, so this changes the status of the cruise. Do we need passports?" would suffice.

Actually this was not a dig to any of your federal employees, but a joke regarding the lack of official information that we have. All other information on this thread regarding picking up or not picking up passengers elsewhere does not come from NCL.

Sorry you missed the humor, that was certainly not directed at a border official. :rolleyes:

Actually this was not a dig to any of your federal employees, but a joke regarding the lack of official information that we have. All other information on this thread regarding picking up or not picking up passengers elsewhere does not come from NCL.

Sorry you missed the humor, that was certainly not directed at a border official. :rolleyes:

That's okay, I make fun of them all the time. NCL's call center personnel don't have a clue either, as witnessed by the number of times they refer to the Jones Act. If nothing is coming from corporate, then I don't think that anything in regards to documentation has changed.

That's okay, I make fun of them all the time. NCL's call center personnel don't have a clue either, as witnessed by the number of times they refer to the Jones Act. If nothing is coming from corporate, then I don't think that anything in regards to documentation has changed.

We know this has been going on since at least bakerintn cruised Nov 17th. And I'd have to bet at least a couple of U.S. passengers did not have passports in those past cruises. If slow lines are causing this much talk can you imagine how much tadoo there would be if someone could not board due to lack of appropriate paperwork that NCL did not notify them of?

I'm thinking you are right that there has been no change in regards to documentation.

So I have a question. My husband and I will be on the Dawn on it's last cruise out of Tampa (April 20th). We are driving down to Tampa the day before and spending the night at a hotel. Should we explore Tampa and not get there until 1PM or should we get there at 10:30-11:00 and just grin and bear the wait?

I'd like as little wait as possible given the situation, but if we are going to have to wait 3-4 hours regardless, I'd rather just get there at 10:30. But then that contributes to the problem............

This is the information directly off the web page. I didn't see any additional information about cruising that start and end in the same U.S. port but pick additional passengers up, so I would say that this is the information that still applies to these Dawn cruises.

General Documentation and Visa Information

U.S. Citizens

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth, and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry:

A valid passport

U.S. passport card

U.S. or Canadian Enhanced Drivers License

Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the U.S. by air. To that end, Norwegian Cruise Line strongly recommends all guests to obtain a passport for their voyage on any Norwegian Cruise Line vessel.

So I have a question. My husband and I will be on the Dawn on it's last cruise out of Tampa (April 20th). We are driving down to Tampa the day before and spending the night at a hotel. Should we explore Tampa and not get there until 1PM or should we get there at 10:30-11:00 and just grin and bear the wait?

I'd like as little wait as possible given the situation, but if we are going to have to wait 3-4 hours regardless, I'd rather just get there at 10:30. But then that contributes to the problem............

NCL posted earlier in this thread that they are working on the issues. Therefore, this may be a non-issue by the time April rolls around. I'm actually hoping it is by the time my cruise in February comes.

My advice: Keep an eye on the boards to see whether this has continued by then and make a decision closer to your cruise date.

This Tampa problem still amazes me. Have cruised ncl to western carib. Tampa to Tampa a few times in past 6 to 18 mos. Each time passengers both embarked and disembarked at Cozumel. Had no problem in Tampa ever. One of easiest ports we have used. Why would the Cozumel stop suddenly change things? :confused:

These passengers joined the cruise there, they did not start in Tampa. They are on a Cozumel to Cozumel cruise, so they are not disembarking in Tampa.

We know this has been going on since at least bakerintn cruised Nov 17th. And I'd have to bet at least a couple of U.S. passengers did not have passports in those past cruises. If slow lines are causing this much talk can you imagine how much tadoo there would be if someone could not board due to lack of appropriate paperwork that NCL did not notify them of? exactly

I'm thinking you are right that there has been no change in regards to documentation.

Yes, I think it is a situation of limited CBP agents, and the slower process that I was referring to, and Bakerintn confirmed. Instead of just looking at your driver license and confirming that the picture matches the face, they are running everyone through the system.

These passengers joined the cruise there, they did not start in Tampa. They are on a Cozumel to Cozumel cruise, so they are not disembarking in Tampa.

Just curious, for those passengers on the Cozumel to Cozumel trip. do they get off the ship for excursions in Tampa?

Also, I forgot that since boarding was delayed in Tampa, the ship had the afterburners turned on the first night + . All the elevators had the white barf bags on the columns. Really was rockin and rollin.

Just curious, for those passengers on the Cozumel to Cozumel trip. do they get off the ship for excursions in Tampa?

Also, I forgot that since boarding was delayed in Tampa, the ship had the afterburners turned on the first night + . All the elevators had the white barf bags on the columns. Really was rockin and rollin.

Sure, unless they are on the terrorist watch list.:D

For what it's worth: We took the Dawn on this same itinerary last year. New passengers (including some of the entertainers) were boarded as Cozumel then, as well. That did not seem to affect embarkation or disembarkation at all.

Also, last year: One of our party forgot his passport at home. He did have a scan of it, as well as driver's license and other picture ID on him. He was told by NCL at the pier that he would not be able to board unless he could find someone to FAX a copy of his passport to the NCL registration desk at the pier in Tampa. Why they would accept a FAX but not a scan on the screen of his computer (which he took with and could have printed off the scan) was never explained.

Fortunately, his Dad ran over to his apartment and was able to send the fax, just in the knick of time. (We were the last ones boarded.)

Now, I was under the impression that you could provide a copy of a birth certificate along with a gov't issued ID (such as a drivers license) rather than a passport. I guess not and it seemed like passports were required. Whether that had anything to do with Cozumel-boarding passengers...?

If they get off in Tampa for a few hours, do they have to wait in the long lines to go through security to get back on the ship? Do they have to go through muster again with everyone else?

If they get off in Tampa for a few hours, do they have to wait in the long lines to go through security to get back on the ship? Do they have to go through muster again with everyone else?

I believe they will be treated like a b2b cruiser. I seem to remember NCL doing this on other cruises back in 2004. It was a pain for the staff, and a logistical nightmare for the terminal folks.

Edited by chengkp75

For what it's worth: We took the Dawn on this same itinerary last year. New passengers (including some of the entertainers) were boarded as Cozumel then, as well. That did not seem to affect embarkation or disembarkation at all.

Also, last year: One of our party forgot his passport at home. He did have a scan of it, as well as driver's license and other picture ID on him. He was told by NCL at the pier that he would not be able to board unless he could find someone to FAX a copy of his passport to the NCL registration desk at the pier in Tampa. Why they would accept a FAX but not a scan on the screen of his computer (which he took with and could have printed off the scan) was never explained.

Fortunately, his Dad ran over to his apartment and was able to send the fax, just in the knick of time. (We were the last ones boarded.)

Now, I was under the impression that you could provide a copy of a birth certificate along with a gov't issued ID (such as a drivers license) rather than a passport. I guess not and it seemed like passports were required. Whether that had anything to do with Cozumel-boarding passengers...?

You have to have an original birth cert and drivers license or other acceptable photo ID I believe. But it sounds like your friend didn't have his original birth certificate either. Or did he?

I was really upset over this situation that has been created by NCL. On Thursday I sent an email to Kevin Sheehan and received a call from his Executive offices yesterday (Friday). They said the same thing as they replied earlier in this thread that they are aware of this issue and are working on it. She assured me that it will be corrected by my cruise in January. Also on Thursday, I talked with customer service and one of the managers sent an email up the chain of command to make them aware of the situation in Tampa. He called me today and said that an executive will be at the Tampa port tomorrow to see what is going on. He will call me back on Monday and give me an update. I like the fact that they will have someone there to check things out. Maybe we'll get some results.

Well we are currently backing into the pier at Tampa. In a few hours we will see what it will be like. Cruise was great, getting on sucked, now to see what getting off is all about. We are not planning to join the lines early as we are locals and in no hurry.

But other we know will be. Shall be watching and reporting if possible.

To clear up one point that I thoughtI had already.

The requirment of a passport has been waived for these Dawn cruises. This was from the officers at the meet and greet and it was a big relief to NCL because they faced a $5000 fine per person not having a passport.

It is the carrier that gets dinged. The US citizen should not have been allowed to travel w/o a passport on a open loop cruise which this became in Coz.

So kids do not need a passport as yet. Nor adults. Of course I suppose with the government involved that could change in an instant.

Sorry if my inital info was confusing.