Live from the Dawn - the update on boarding issues

legion3

I was on deck 4 a was noisy when i get to port every morning and the last day when they get all luggage. I have to call twice front desk because a strong odor coming at night from the porthole area and the bathroom, they come and say it was just a little bit :mad: i got so mad they did nothing. Almost every time i call room service the line was busy, beers and drinks too much $$ for me i prefer to go on port to the local town i drink for $1 or $2 beers and drinks. At day and night i hate every time i go and the garden cafe was closing one side or the whole restaurant and they send you to the blue lagoon where you get to eat like 10 items and every time i ask mac and chesse for my girls they told me it was a 30 minutes wait, i don't like the attitude on a few restaurant employees and when you was eating and they come and get your plate without asking. The housekeeping that clean my room almost every day knock at my door i scream im here and then he open the door asking me if i want him to clean my room i was like really im in the room can you please, he do the same thing 2 or 3 times. Then to get on the cruise on Tampa was like 3 plus hours the wait and to get out the same. :mad: I go twice on the sky at miami and is totally different so fast and good service.

Huh?

Actually except for the stabilizers having issues (because I am prone to seasickness). Which I hope this delay in Tampa last night was because they were fixing them for good.

Wow, they were still working on them then???

They had a dive team working on them when we were boarding, in Cozumel (6 divers) and then as soon as we docked. I didn't see any type of crane so they must have been fixing and not replacing. In Belize they were having issues lowering the dock thing (don't know the name) which folds out from the side of the hull for tenders

Wow, they were still working on them then???

They had a dive team working on them when we were boarding, in Cozumel (6 divers) and then as soon as we docked. I didn't see any type of crane so they must have been fixing and not replacing. In Belize they were having issues lowering the dock thing (don't know the name) which folds out from the side of the hull for tenders

Post 33 Laszlo, Legion3 stated they had issues with them. You responded to his/her post. I was not speaking of course from experience. Just saying that if they were still having issues, that would be a concern to me.

Edited by che5904

and embarking was a NIGHTMARE. DH and myself got separate calls twice telling us to get to port at 1:00 pm. Ok, we did that. Did it help? Not so as we noticed. When we got there there were people on top deck lined up, and at the bottom of the escalators & stairway several hundred deep already. The things I personally witnessed were very, very sad:

An elderly diabetic woman almost passing out because of the heat/stress/lack of water & food. Those of us around her tried to provide what help we could. Could have she been better prepared? Yep. But still - omg. What a way to start your trip.

An elderly woman in tears because she could not contain her bladder any longer after waiting in line for the bathroom. NOTE THIS PEOPLE: There is only ONE bathroom available until after you clear security. I do NOT mean a bathroom with multiple stalls, there is ONE PRIVATE BATHROOM for women, ONE PRIVATE BATHROOM for men. One person in at a time. To service 2,000 + passengers waiting 3 - 4 hours in the sun.

Children crying because they needed to use the bathroom so bad. A woman BEGGING port authority to let her pass to take her 3 year old to the bathroom.

As we were clearing security (last member of our party going thru scanner) a very elderly man (I'd guess upper 80's) came rushing into the security checkpoint area looking panic-stricken & near tears. He was desperately needing a wheelchair for his wife who was getting heatstroke and about to pass out from dehydration, etc. Everyone ignored him UNTIL he attempted to skirt around security to find a wheelchair and/or help for his wife. Security machines shut down and our security people started shouting at him to go back and get in line. After yelling at this poor man for a minute the guard called across the room for his supervisor yelling "this man will NOT comply with orders. He is REFUSING to obey". The supervisor comes at a full run. As he approached I loudly informed him this man's wife is having a MEDICAL CRISIS and he needs URGENT help. After repeating this 2 times the supervisor seemed to get it and rushed the man to the head of the scanner checkpoint.

As we entered the terminal to get in line for check-in, the elderly man rushed in behind us, now in tears. Still no port personnel helping him. Nobdoy from NCL helping. No medics in sight. When he walked into the huge room he froze, unable to function. I informed the 2 port attendants helping with wheelchair bound guests the man had a medical crisis with his wife and needed a wheelchair urgently. They shrugged. As I gazed around the room I saw a wheelchair at the far end of the room (where you go on the ship). I ran across the room and requested immediate help for the man & his wife. They did send the wheelchair with an attendant to assist.

All-in-all, it was a nightmare from where we stood. My advice would be:

Use the bathroom before coming. Then stop 1 block away & go again.

Bring water & snacks with you.

Be prepared to stand for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours in hot sun or rain before being able to shelter.

If elderly or have health issues, consider bringing some sort of seating with you (the canes that flip to a seat, collapsible stool or the like). Sound crazy? I totally agree. But the alternative is NOT pretty.

Do NOT depend on your request for "wheelchair assistance". My dh is disabled & we requested wheelchair assistance Jan 2013 in NOLA on the Star. It did NOT materialize despite our waiting for 30 minutes for it. We finally boarded by ourselves. This time we did NOT bother to request it - just as well. The people we observed that DID request it STILL had to stand outside the security checkpoint for 2+ hours before getting to the place where the (alleged) wheelchair could be picked up.

Kiss your first day on the ship goodbye. By the time you finally board it's barely time to scoot to your room and drop off your carry-on stuff and get to the muster drill so you don't have to screw up day 2 as well by attending a make-up muster drill. You still have the evening to enjoy - but those used to cruising and being on-board by noon or one and enjoying a full day will be sorely disappointed (and ripped off, some say).

So, for those saying "it's a little delay - deal with it. It's not a big deal"... unfortunately, for many people traveling it BECOMES a big deal when denied the ability to use the bathroom, baking in the hot sun and having no shade or seating available. If you think about it, many many many on the cruises are elderly. This is a population that goes from "fit & active" to "down & out" in the blink of an eye. The lack of preparation after THREE weeks of this mess is unacceptable. Porta-potties, drink stations, tents for shade could have protected many of the elderly and disabled. Just saying...

and embarking was a NIGHTMARE. DH and myself got separate calls twice telling us to get to port at 1:00 pm. Ok, we did that. Did it help? Not so as we noticed. When we got there there were people on top deck lined up, and at the bottom of the escalators & stairway several hundred deep already. The things I personally witnessed were very, very sad:

An elderly diabetic woman almost passing out because of the heat/stress/lack of water & food. Those of us around her tried to provide what help we could. Could have she been better prepared? Yep. But still - omg. What a way to start your trip.

An elderly woman in tears because she could not contain her bladder any longer after waiting in line for the bathroom. NOTE THIS PEOPLE: There is only ONE bathroom available until after you clear security. I do NOT mean a bathroom with multiple stalls, there is ONE PRIVATE BATHROOM for women, ONE PRIVATE BATHROOM for men. One person in at a time. To service 2,000 + passengers waiting 3 - 4 hours in the sun.

Children crying because they needed to use the bathroom so bad. A woman BEGGING port authority to let her pass to take her 3 year old to the bathroom.

As we were clearing security (last member of our party going thru scanner) a very elderly man (I'd guess upper 80's) came rushing into the security checkpoint area looking panic-stricken & near tears. He was desperately needing a wheelchair for his wife who was getting heatstroke and about to pass out from dehydration, etc. Everyone ignored him UNTIL he attempted to skirt around security to find a wheelchair and/or help for his wife. Security machines shut down and our security people started shouting at him to go back and get in line. After yelling at this poor man for a minute the guard called across the room for his supervisor yelling "this man will NOT comply with orders. He is REFUSING to obey". The supervisor comes at a full run. As he approached I loudly informed him this man's wife is having a MEDICAL CRISIS and he needs URGENT help. After repeating this 2 times the supervisor seemed to get it and rushed the man to the head of the scanner checkpoint.

As we entered the terminal to get in line for check-in, the elderly man rushed in behind us, now in tears. Still no port personnel helping him. Nobdoy from NCL helping. No medics in sight. When he walked into the huge room he froze, unable to function. I informed the 2 port attendants helping with wheelchair bound guests the man had a medical crisis with his wife and needed a wheelchair urgently. They shrugged. As I gazed around the room I saw a wheelchair at the far end of the room (where you go on the ship). I ran across the room and requested immediate help for the man & his wife. They did send the wheelchair with an attendant to assist.

Be prepared to stand for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours in hot sun or rain before being able to shelter.

If elderly or have health issues, consider bringing some sort of seating with you (the canes that flip to a seat, collapsible stool or the like). Sound crazy? I totally agree. But the alternative is NOT pretty.

Do NOT depend on your request for "wheelchair assistance". My dh is disabled & we requested wheelchair assistance Jan 2013 in NOLA on the Star. It did NOT materialize despite our waiting for 30 minutes for it. We finally boarded by ourselves. This time we did NOT bother to request it - just as well. The people we observed that DID request it STILL had to stand outside the security checkpoint for 2+ hours before getting to the place where the (alleged) wheelchair could be picked up.

Kiss your first day on the ship goodbye. By the time you finally board it's barely time to scoot to your room and drop off your carry-on stuff and get to the muster drill so you don't have to screw up day 2 as well by attending a make-up muster drill. You still have the evening to enjoy - but those used to cruising and being on-board by noon or one and enjoying a full day will be sorely disappointed (and ripped off, some say).

So, for those saying "it's a little delay - deal with it. It's not a big deal"... unfortunately, for many people traveling it BECOMES a big deal when denied the ability to use the bathroom, baking in the hot sun and having no shade or seating available. If you think about it, many many many on the cruises are elderly. This is a population that goes from "fit & active" to "down & out" in the blink of an eye. The lack of preparation after THREE weeks of this mess is unacceptable. Porta-potties, drink stations, tents for shade could have protected many of the elderly and disabled. Just saying...

Wow. This puts it all into perspective. We are booked for the Dawn in Feb and will have our car, so I guess we will check out the line before we commit but this is awful for people who don't have that option. I sure hope you send this account to NCL as well.

We were lucky as we never waited in the sun. We got into the building with the first batch inside and did our waiting in the zig - zag security line or queue if you prefer watching them do nothing but wait for the port computers to work.

But we watched from our room on Deck 12 as the line snaked around for all afternoon. We did see some ship's crew giving out OJ to those waiting, at what point this was I don't remember. Hopefully the Dec 8 people had no long line issues and had a better time of it.

Was wondering what time you got to the port ?

Was wondering what time you got to the port ?

As I think I posted before, we arrived at 10:30 to drop off the luggage, then went to the Tampa aquarium next door and killed and hour or so (for $50 + lunch), ate, used the bathrooms and then went back a before noon and the lines were already forming to go up. If you arrived at 1 you would have been at the back of these forming lines. Soon after that in the hot sun for quite a while.

We got to our room about 2 and saw the line snake all around the building for easily the next 2.5 hours.

It worked for us but might not the next time, hopefully there will never be a next time like that for the vast majority of passengers who clearly suffered far worse than we did.

Edited by legion3

I have Crohn's and not having a restroom available for hours, if I happen to need it, is not a good thing. I have until January before final payment is due. If this doesn't improve soon, I'm cancelling, even though I'll loose my airline miles for my already booked round trip flight. Not worth the stress.

Your account of the events seem quite detailed as you seen it.

I think all of your advice to the passengers is great advice if they have a cruise booked in Tampa. Probably not bad advice for any cruise or travel.

The part I wanted to address was bolded above. From reading your thread most all of this happened before security (CBP). I really don't know what the laws regarding this is in the U.S. but the only thing off of that list that I believe NCL could have did without permission or problems would be to hand out water which they probably could have. They probably could have even handed out little snacks like those prepackaged cookies which may have helped with diabetics or children. Maybe if they knew the problem was there they could have even purchased a couple thousand umbrellas and handed them out to help shield people from the sun.

But I would have to assume that the port sits on either Government or private land and therefore pitching tents or dropping off porta-potties may be out of their control. As easy a solution as what it looks like, as good a solution as what it seems like, may not be possible. I would think they would need someone's permission to do this, NCL doesn't own that land. I know here in Canada we can't just "pitch a tent" anywhere we choose if we don't own the land.

The hold up in reading these posts seems to come pre-security (port of Tampa) not post-securtity. Therefore, NCL does not have control. There also have been rumors or conclusions that this is caused by ..... But again nobody absolutely knows for sure what is causing this issue.

For the most part, I think your post (although quite long) is probably the most thought through post that I have seen so far. Why not send this NCL & port of Tampa explaining how people are suffering because of the situation.

What? Nobody knows what the problem is? NCL darn sure knows.

At the meet and greet the ship's hotel manager said that this was caused by the dawn picking up extra passengers in cozumel. He did say the ship was at the mercy of CBP, but NCL seems to have either not known this would change the re-entry requirments or simply didn't care. Either way CBP reacted to what NCL choose to do as a business decision.

This requires CBP to alter the rentry of the Dawn making everyone go through a more time consuming process. This process dictated by law and regulations, delays leaving the ship, delays boarding the ship, delays the departure of the ship. And in Tampa the window for going under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge is not 24 hours long.

Had NCL not agreed to board passengers in cozumel then like the Legend and Ryndam who also use the same port on the same day with the the same cbp and port employees, but had no reported issues coming and going, the passengers of the dawn might have come and gone in a normal fashion. Perhaps.

The computer glitch may have added additional discomfort on Dec 1 but nevertheless All American Amy paints a completely unacceptable picture. Both NCL and port of Tampa should be appalled.

p.s. I think my kids are adorable too ;)

Sorry for the rant but to many people are trying to not blame NCL and but for their decision, none of this might ever have occured.

CBP have to keep out terrorists and contraband and they have no idea whom these people are getting on in Cozumel. Maybe NCL can work something out to pre clear them like those in Tampa but CBP is governed by law and regulations, so who knows?

What? Nobody knows what the problem is? NCL darn sure knows.

OK, if it wasn't obvious. I meant nobody on this board.

At the meet and greet the ship's hotel manager said that this was caused by the dawn picking up extra passengers in cozumel.

Yes you have said this, I believe, a few times now. Sorry but that does not make it concrete proof. Who knows, it might be, it might not be. I agree it does appear that that would make the most sense. But nobody on these boards know for absolute what the exact issue is, only what they have heard or been told.

The computer glitch may have added additional discomfort on Dec 1 but nevertheless All American Amy paints a completely unacceptable picture. Both NCL and port of Tampa should be appalled.

Sorry for the rant but to many people are trying to not blame NCL and but for their decision, none of this might ever have occured.

FWIW I don't hold NCL totally blameless. I'm just not sure what I'm suppose to blame them for yet. We know for a fact that this is happening pre-security. So we know for a fact the CBP for sure is a hold up.

And if this is caused by the pick up of passengers, then NCL made a bad business decision that perhaps they did not realize the commotion they would be causing. They also probably have a contract from this decision that they have to see through. Again if that is the issue, then they have to find a work around because they are committed. Unfortunately that work around doesn't seem to be moving very quickly. We have a lot of arm chair referees on this board but truthfully they are not behind the closed doors and we have no idea how hard NCL is trying to help the situation. Who knows how cooperative CBP is in trying to fix this. In the end they have the ultimate control.

And if this is caused by the pick up of passengers, then NCL made a bad business decision that perhaps they did not realize the commotion they would be causing.

NCL new they had a problem from day one, I know because I was on the first full sailing. I blame NCL 100% for the lengthy boarding process. It was their decision to pick up new passengers in Cozumel. You tell me that NCL did not know this was going to happen? yea right. If they truly did not realize what was going to be the end result the person is charge of the decisions should be looking or another job

NCL new they had a problem from day one, I know because I was on the first full sailing. I blame NCL 100% for the lengthy boarding process. It was their decision to pick up new passengers in Cozumel. You tell me that NCL did not know this was going to happen? yea right. If they truly did not realize what was going to be the end result the person is charge of the decisions should be looking or another job

Well I actually said "perhaps". Because maybe they didn't know the extent of the issues it would cause. I really don't know I wasn't there when the decision was made.

And you may be very right that "the person in charge of the decisions" should be looking for another job. I'm kind of thinking the size of NCL this decision was not made by "a" person.

One of the points I've always been trying to make though is. OK let's all blame NCL for this horrific decision. That doesn't change the fact that if this is the cause that the decision was made and probably now has to be followed through. The deed is done. So now time to stop looking back and start looking ahead. If I drop a glass on the floor and don't pick up all the pieces and step on one. I can only whine for so long about being dumb and not picking up the pieces. My main concern should be what to do NOW!

So we come right back to we don't know what they are doing to try to resolve this, we don't know how hard they are working to make now as little impact as possible on their passengers. We know for a fact that they do know there is a problem (NCL came on the thread). So as passengers who are already booked on this cruise (and especially those that are past final payment). Can only hope that whatever they are doing, there is a solution soon.

If this was all caused by one thing, NCL will pay big time and lose a lot of customers. But as one poster has pointed out in their theory, this could be many things that came into play all at once that were unforeseen, like whatever was happening with the U.S. Government and what type of impact that had on the CBP. Maybe without that, this situation wouldn't have had this big an impact.

Since the current laws, rules and regulations are not going to change I see only one thing happening. Extra custom agents………..and I have a feeling NCL is going to foot the bill on them.

The problem with the bathrooms etc…..thats on the port of Tampa. After waiting in line to get off the ship for 2 hours I really had to go, no one was allowed in the terminal to use the bathrooms and I was shocked their was only one men's room and only one woman's room when you went out the exit. The line must have been 30 deep. So for the first time in a very long time I went around to the side of the building and took a leak:D

Edited by Laszlo

So for the first time in a very long time I went around to the side of the building and took a leak:D

:D Usually I would tsk tsk this, but in this case, I can't say I blame you. ;)

I'm thinking entrance to the U.S. by sea anyway there are probably lots of cameras in the area. I hope you glanced around for them first :eek:

:D Usually I would tsk tsk this, but in this case, I can't say I blame you. ;)

I'm thinking entrance to the U.S. by sea anyway there are probably lots of cameras in the area. I hope you glanced around for them first :eek:

I had to go so bad I didn't care who was watching LOL

Well I supppse the ship representatives were uninformed, misinformed or simply bold face liers when they told a large group of CC'rs what they said, I don't know.

But All American Amy's report puts a whole new light on just how bad it was. And a couple of free glasses of rum less punch is far more insulting.

In a few weeks ask them yourself and enjoy your cruise.

But All American Amy's report puts a whole new light on just how bad it was.

IMO she has had the best post on these threads.

For the most part her post was based on her eyewitness account. She did not spend her time pointing fingers at who was to blame, she spent it constructively describing what she seen and, with that, what future passengers on this itinerary could possibly do to lessen the impact if this was not corrected soon.

Pointing fingers does nothing to help future passengers if you already know that the company you are pointing fingers at is aware. So to me it's just whining and keeping those passengers that have a cruise coming up in doom and gloom about their upcoming vacation. Part of your cruise sucked hugely, we get it, you are extremely angry with NCL, we get it. Write them a letter, phone them, get in touch with the big guys.

Edited by che5904

The thing is, if I was looking for a cruise and it's between the Dawn with the embarking and disembarking issues and another cruise line with similar price and itinerary without the issues, I would pick the one without the issues. For those of us who have no choice because they are past final payment or whatever, we just have to make the best of it. But, it would be nice to know that NCL is actively addressing the problems to the best of their ability and maybe they could somehow stagger arrival times or something. Some people are flexible with their port arrival time and others might not be due to flights, etc. I also think that NCL needs to make sure that people have access to restrooms, water, shade, wheelchairs, etc. while they are waiting in line for 3 hours. This is something that people do not expect when they go to a cruise. I have never had to wait in line that long to embark or disembark ANY cruise line.

maybe they could somehow stagger arrival times or something. Some people are flexible with their port arrival time and others might not be due to flights, etc.

Good idea but that would require passengers to cooperate. What do you think the chance of that happening is? If you are talking about a designated time set out in stone. You still have to depend on CBP to process them in the time allowed before the next arrival of passengers (NCL has no control over that). Then you will have all the complaints that "why did they get to have an 11:30 check in, and I have to wait until 2:30".

Edited by che5904

Good idea but that would require passengers to cooperate. What do you think the chance of that happening is?

Well, if they know it's legit and they either come when they are supposed to or stand in line for 3 hours, I think they would. At least then they have no one to blame except themselves if they don't want to listen. I really think that it normally just works itself out, people's arrivals are naturally staggered. But when there's a delay getting people off, it creates a snowball effect. But, I still see the glass half full for the most part. So, I think people have the ability to listen.

Your account of the events seem quite detailed as you seen it.

I think all of your advice to the passengers is great advice if they have a cruise booked in Tampa. Probably not bad advice for any cruise or travel.

The part I wanted to address was bolded above. From reading your thread most all of this happened before security (CBP). I really don't know what the laws regarding this is in the U.S. but the only thing off of that list that I believe NCL could have did without permission or problems would be to hand out water which they probably could have. They probably could have even handed out little snacks like those prepackaged cookies which may have helped with diabetics or children. Maybe if they knew the problem was there they could have even purchased a couple thousand umbrellas and handed them out to help shield people from the sun.

But I would have to assume that the port sits on either Government or private land and therefore pitching tents or dropping off porta-potties may be out of their control. As easy a solution as what it looks like, as good a solution as what it seems like, may not be possible. I would think they would need someone's permission to do this, NCL doesn't own that land. I know here in Canada we can't just "pitch a tent" anywhere we choose if we don't own the land.

The hold up in reading these posts seems to come pre-security (port of Tampa) not post-securtity. Therefore, NCL does not have control. There also have been rumors or conclusions that this is caused by ..... But again nobody absolutely knows for sure what is causing this issue.

For the most part, I think your post (although quite long) is probably the most thought through post that I have seen so far. Why not send this NCL & port of Tampa explaining how people are suffering because of the situation.

Right, I agree that the majority of the problem was more because of the PORT and their lack of shade, restrooms, drinking fountains, etc. It is IMHO a HORRIBLE port to cruise from and we will not be eager to cruise from there again. I would encourage ANYONE that was or will be caught up in this fiasco to notify the PORT and let them know they will cruise from elsewhere.

That being said, 2 PORT authority people I spoke with (one prior to cruise while waiting in line, one after while disembarking) told me bluntly this is NCL's fault and mess. I've read NCL did this last year with the open cruise & picking up passengers in Cozumel - I dunno. Don't understand why it would have been easy last year but a nightmare this year.

Bottom line, I feel NCL needs to agressively control this nightmare as best as they can by working agressively with the PORT to meet the needs (not desires, whims or wishes - true NEEDS) of the people passing thru this port. There is NO reason the PORT & NCL working together could not provide porta-potties, water stations & shelter for people, IMHO.

Thanks for the kind words - I will get something together today after work and send it off to Tampa Port, NCL and maybe stir it up with a few others! lol I always did love "tilting at windmills". lol

Take care...

Thanks for the kind words - I will get something together today after work and send it off to Tampa Port, NCL and maybe stir it up with a few others! lol I always did love "tilting at windmills". lol

Take care...

This is totally against what I normally would suggest or feel. And I hate to see bad publicity for any corporation. And I have a full distrust of media to print what is actually fact.

But I will suggest it anyway. Your story if very moving of those that truly did have more than just inconveniences and my heart goes out to them. Especially to the older couple who needed someone to pay attention to their medical needs. You may want to consider sending your letter to the local media in Tampa.

Well I actually said "perhaps". Because maybe they didn't know the extent of the issues it would cause. I really don't know I wasn't there when the decision was made.

And you may be very right that "the person in charge of the decisions" should be looking for another job. I'm kind of thinking the size of NCL this decision was not made by "a" person.

One of the points I've always been trying to make though is. OK let's all blame NCL for this horrific decision. That doesn't change the fact that if this is the cause that the decision was made and probably now has to be followed through. The deed is done. So now time to stop looking back and start looking ahead. If I drop a glass on the floor and don't pick up all the pieces and step on one. I can only whine for so long about being dumb and not picking up the pieces. My main concern should be what to do NOW!

So we come right back to we don't know what they are doing to try to resolve this, we don't know how hard they are working to make now as little impact as possible on their passengers. We know for a fact that they do know there is a problem (NCL came on the thread). So as passengers who are already booked on this cruise (and especially those that are past final payment). Can only hope that whatever they are doing, there is a solution soon.

If this was all caused by one thing, NCL will pay big time and lose a lot of customers. But as one poster has pointed out in their theory, this could be many things that came into play all at once that were unforeseen, like whatever was happening with the U.S. Government and what type of impact that had on the CBP. Maybe without that, this situation wouldn't have had this big an impact.

I think this addresses most of the concerns of us future passengers here in the lack of communication from NCL regarding why this is happening and what they are doing to resolve the issue. More info would 'maybe' help.