Live from the Dawn - the update on boarding issues

legion3

I can assure you that Cagny's did not have white linen table cloths on its tables for either Breakfast nor Lunch.

The tables had light brown place mats only on a plain dark wood -like table. My kids colored on some kids menus and the place mats had a unique texture that made the coloring match that design. Also I am always careful to have my kids, crayons and white table cloths together. No such worries were called for.

I don't recall if they had them at diner or not when we ate at the steakhouse one evening.

nclcruise146_zps4f57b0df.jpg

This is Cagny's just before breakfast as I wanted to take some pics of the breakfast spread before anyone got to it.

The Venitian MDR did have table cloths for breakfast. This is early AM before Breakfast

nclcruise140_zps732078be.jpg

I stand corrected as to the recent conditions you encountered.

You are just the kind of illiterate jerk (check your grammar and spelling) that I do NOT want to encounter on a cruise.

These posts are supposed to be helpful and to a good extent they are. Yours, however, are nothing more than ugly ranting.

Good day, sir, and good luck with the NCL brass.

Oh really? Making unacceptable conditions known to NCL management (they do read these posts) is "ugly ranting" ? I sincerely hope you get your wish regarding a chance encounter as your assessment of me echo those of my in-laws, bless your heart.

I just canceled my Dawn cruise. Besides the big problems at the port, the recent reviews of the ship haven't been great either. Not worth the stress of wondering what's it's going to be like by the time I sail. Going back to Royal Caribbean.

i just canceled my dawn cruise. Besides the big problems at the port, the recent reviews of the ship haven't been great either. Not worth the stress of wondering what's it's going to be like by the time i sail. Going back to royal caribbean.

wow!!!!!!!:(:(:(

I just canceled my Dawn cruise. Besides the big problems at the port, the recent reviews of the ship haven't been great either. Not worth the stress of wondering what's it's going to be like by the time I sail. Going back to Royal Caribbean.

Actually I have a thread going on right now that I have lots of posters telling of all the wonderful things about the ship. And of a lot of them that have cruised on the ship numerous times.

In saying that I can understand how the inconveniences of what might be in 4 months could concern some. At least you were within your cancellation period.

Happy sailing, wherever you choose to sail. Sorry to hear this wasn't for you.

I travel in suites and I have paid for the contractual right to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch. NCL is NOT giving me something I didn't pay for. Nothing is "free", it's just included in the cabin class you bought, be it standard, suite or haven. You pay for the level of amenities you want. NCL is a business; you pay and they are obliged to provide.

And earlier this year on the Dawn there were white linen table cloths on the tables for breakfast and lunch. I can't comment on tablecloths in the MDR for breakfast or lunch. Maybe NCL has changed it's table cloth policy since earlier this year; I hope not. If I wanted to eat on plastic, I'd go to the "trough", a/k/a buffet. I refer to it as the "trough" not because of the quality of food but because of the behavior of some who "eat" there.

Whatever the problems are in boarding in Tampa, I expect and demand they be resolved, otherwise I'm taking my next booking elsewhere. I don't care who it is, if you can't get your act together, you don't deserve my business.

Just be patient and order double for dinner. You'll probably enjoy the meal more because you'll be super hungry!

Actually I have a thread going on right now that I have lots of posters telling of all the wonderful things about the ship. And of a lot of them that have cruised on the ship numerous times.

In saying that I can understand how the inconveniences of what might be in 4 months could concern some. At least you were within your cancellation period.

Happy sailing, wherever you choose to sail. Sorry to hear this wasn't for you.

I was within the cancellation period, but did loose my miles for the flights I had already booked.

Really ? Over a few Internet comments you do know we are the 1%

Really ? Over a few Internet comments you do know we are the 1%

Yes I know we are a very small percentage of those that sail, but it seems in the last month I keep reading of another problem on the Dawn. Not just the port, but with stabilizers, exits to get off the ship in Belize, slow service in the dining room, and the reviews since October seem to be going down. I was doing a search for cruises, and came across a great resident rate for a RCI cruise, so I decide I would cancel this one for now. If things get straightened out, maybe I will try again next year.

Folks - can I just say that we are a couple of Brits who will be boarding the Dawn at Cozumel on 21 February. Please don't be unfriendly towards us as we didn't know the cruise started at Tampa and the problems this has caused.

We simply picked up a Virgin Cruises brochure and saw this cruise advertised sailing from Cozumel for 7 nights. Interesting though, the package is offering a free tour of Tampa and St Petes on the Sunday, now I know why.....

Folks - can I just say that we are a couple of Brits who will be boarding the Dawn at Cozumel on 21 February. Please don't be unfriendly towards us as we didn't know the cruise started at Tampa and the problems this has caused.

We simply picked up a Virgin Cruises brochure and saw this cruise advertised sailing from Cozumel for 7 nights. Interesting though, the package is offering a free tour of Tampa and St Petes on the Sunday, now I know why.....

Awwww, that is so sad that you would feel this way. :(

No worries. Unless I missed it, I don't think anyone blames you.

You're taking some flak over this comment (surprise, surprise), but I don't blame you. All this other stuff aside, I was not a fan of the Dawn. My first cruise on that ship was my last.

You're taking some flak over this comment (surprise, surprise), but I don't blame you. All this other stuff aside, I was not a fan of the Dawn. My first cruise on that ship was my last.

I hope you weren't referring to me, I feel bad that this poster has ran from a cruise that far away due to some bad publicity on CC.

My post was pointing out there was equally as many positive things as bad reviews.

Just a quick click on RCCL ships in general brought up bad reviews on Voyageur of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Radiant of the Seas etc.

I just find it really sad when people believe all the bad, and ignore all the good, figuring they must be "cheerleaders" because somehow the bad is more believable. Or that because so & so didn't like the food I probably won't etc. Yes the port situation is real, and the stablizers, if I remember correctly happened on 2 sailings. Things break down that's all part of life, there is no guarantee that if you are on another ship that something isn't going to break.

I'm within non-cancelling time for my cruise. I've cruised the Dawn before and loved her, I've cruised NCL before and loved them. But all this negative was starting to get me down and making me rethink my decision to choose her, even though I had sailed her before. Even though I know that the port situation I'm prepared for and will deal with. I can just imagine how it is making, new to NCL or new to cruising passengers feel. Unfortunately, a lot of the negative at late are coming from the same posters who are posting the same thing over and over.

Edited by che5904

I doubt anybody will be blaming those who booked to board in Cozumel.

(at least any sane person should not)

Not your fault.

You were merely booking a vacation.

I blame the moron at NCL who came up with this idea and did not think it through, to the consequences with the Port Authorities having to do full check ins, versus the usual, short check ins and all of the trickle down problems that have resulted.

(Slower debarkation due to added steps in customs, which then delays embarkation. Leaving ridiculously long lines and people being left outside the terminal waiting in line for hours. Forcing the ship to leave late and burn more fuel to make up time. So basically 2,000 people start their vacation on a bad note and end their vacation on a bad note.)

I blame the moron's supervisor, who approved this deal and did not see the consequences. (and anyone else above them who had to approve this deal)

It is entirely NCL's fault for not thinking this deal through to all the problems it created...

Nobody else's. (the people who think customs should get more people, to staff this ship, once a week, are ludicrous. Why should they have to pay for more staffing, due to NCL causing this situation?!?!)

Sadly, the only way to rectify inconviencing 2,000 people at embarkation and debarkation, EVERY WEEK, for a handful of people in Cozumel, would be to sever the deal with this travel agency and pay whatever they have to, to get out of this deal.

I know if this situation isn't fixed by our cruise in April, my mid-70's Parents cannot stand in a line for an hour, let alone, multiple hours.

(so it will force me to have to uneccesarily bring a couple of folding chairs and lug them on and off for them)

We are finally trying out NCL, as this was my Parent's choice for their 50th wedding anniversary.

(actually 5 couples will be trying NCL for the first time, thanks to my Parents)

I have to say, if the multiple hours to embark and debark does occur, I do not see how it will not affect the opinion of my overall cruise experience and NCL. (especially since I have spoken to NCL already and forwarded links to the multiple threads in here to them, at their request and they have told me they are fully aware of the various problems and are working to fix them. Our cruise is the 2nd to last, so if this is still going on, then, clearly NCL does not care about their passengers.)

The Dawn would have to knock it completely out of the park onboard, to overcome the pier issues.

Bill

Edited by bguppies

I know if this situation isn't fixed by our cruise in April, my mid-70's Parents cannot stand in a line for an hour, let alone, multiple hours.

(so it will force me to have to uneccesarily bring a couple of folding chairs and lug them on and off for them)

Bill

Bill, I actually looked for a thread with a photo to help you with this, but for some reason it has been pulled. There are benches to the side, that were very underutilized in the photo. Might I suggest that if this problem is not resolved by then, that you hold your parents spot in line and have them sit on those benches. You may want to throw one of those little dollar store umbrellas in to give them some shade. Which would also come in handy if you had rain in any port, or of course rain in Tampa.

I hope you weren't referring to me, I feel bad that this poster has ran from a cruise that far away due to some bad publicity on CC.

My post was pointing out there was equally as many positive things as bad reviews.

Just a quick click on RCCL ships in general brought up bad reviews on Voyageur of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Radiant of the Seas etc.

I just find it really sad when people believe all the bad, and ignore all the good, figuring they must be "cheerleaders" because somehow the bad is more believable. Or that because so & so didn't like the food I probably won't etc. Yes the port situation is real, and the stablizers, if I remember correctly happened on 2 sailings. Things break down that's all part of life, there is no guarantee that if you are on another ship that something isn't going to break.

I'm within non-cancelling time for my cruise. I've cruised the Dawn before and loved her, I've cruised NCL before and loved them. But all this negative was starting to get me down and making me rethink my decision to choose her, even though I had sailed her before. Even though I know that the port situation I'm prepared for and will deal with. Unfortunately, a lot of the negative at late are coming from the same posters who are posting the same thing over and over.

No, I was not referring to you. But on your point, let's make something clear....I actually cruised Dawn. I ignored bad reviews, focused on the good, and went on the cruise expecting a great vacation. A great vacation it was not. There were a lot of service related problems that were not fixed, no matter who I complained to. Not only did it take an act of God to get them to clean my room, the room was freakn' falling apart and had wood wedges shoved into the ceiling.

But even if the service problems didn't exist, I just didn't like the ship. I think the moving of the Spinnaker Lounge to its current location was just plain stupid, and it didn't help that lounge was used for most of the entertainmnet. It was too crowded and you couldnt see anything. I could go on, but don't need to.

I will not candy coat what I thought of that ship and if anyone here is offended by my opinon, they need to see a shrink for their insecurities. It's not a NCL complaint...it's a Dawn complaint.

No, I was not referring to you. But on your point, let's make something clear....I actually cruised Dawn. I ignored bad reviews, focused on the good, and went on the cruise expecting a great vacation. A great vacation it was not. There were a lot of service related problems that were not fixed, no matter who I complained to. Not only did it take an act of God to get them to clean my room, the room was freakn' falling apart and had wood wedges shoved into the ceiling.

But even if the service problems didn't exist, I just didn't like the ship. I think the moving of the Spinnaker Lounge to its current location was just plain stupid, and it didn't help that lounge was used for most of the entertainmnet. It was too crowded and you couldnt see anything. I could go on, but don't need to.

I will not candy coat what I thought of that ship and if anyone here is offended by my opinon, they need to see a shrink for their insecurities. It's not a NCL complaint...it's a Dawn complaint.

And your issues are noted.

I will definitely not argue the spinnaker lounge. We were on the Dawn prior to the move and the Star after. I agree it sucks, it has a cave type feeling to it that you have to climb over chairs because it's so crowded. Luckily there wasn't much going on in there that we participated in, so not a big deal for us. The few things we did go to there, didn't make or break my enjoyment of my cruise.

I don't expect anyone to candy coat their issues nor would I want them to, I want to read peoples opinions. But I also read the good. Therefore I get a nice balance and can decide if, for example, your issues are just an opinion that I may not have, or facts (like your wood wedges in the ceiling) that will or will not affect my enjoyment of my vacation. I will also look at whether that person had anything good to say, because I seriously can't believe that someone would go on a vacation and have nothing good to say.

As for the service issues that you had. I'm really sorry to hear that.

I'm of the firm belief that a person should really read the "bad review" and decide for themselves whether the complaints in the review will actually affect them personally. What bothers one person doesn't necessarily bother someone else.

Edited by che5904

Enjoy your cruise to the fullest - - You deserve a fun experience. :)

The Virgin Cruises group that gathered for their Tampa tour experience on Sunday 11/24, experienced some challenges . . . but they did get to their bus, albeit later than planned, for their tour. I was next to them on the outer deck, and got to meet several. Nice group.

Most likely you will be working with Milka (onboard) that morning for all group arrangements. I encourage everyone to listen carefully to her, and also be at the right place at the right time, or even earlier. Visiting the restroom an extra time that morning might also be a welcomed thing.

Again, Bon Voyage!! :)

Edited by DGP1111
spelling

I don't blame you. We are scheduled to leave in 2 weeks on our first NCL cruise and I am not excited about reading all the negative reviews and now the port issue. I wish we could bail out. :(

Wow.

Finished ironing my lucky travel shirt, so am hoping that helps with the Dawn embarkation issues on Sunday. :rolleyes:

Hubby read all the negative comments and said he hoped I wouldn't be disappointed with this cruise (as it's my birthday present this year). I told him that as long as I had low expectations, I wouldn't be disappointed. :D

We're just going to pack extra patience and work at having fun!!

No problem - we'll welcome you on board! If there is a problem (and it might be cleared up by now), it's certainly not YOUR fault.

Enjoy your cruise and hope we cross paths!

I was within the cancellation period, but did loose my miles for the flights I had already booked.

How exactly did you loose miles on an award flight. All of the airlines I have used just credit the miles back to your account. Granted, some do charge a cancellation or redeposit fee but I have never heard of outright loosing them.

Please tell me which airline you lost these miles on so I can make sure to never ever fly them in the future.

Wow.

Finished ironing my lucky travel shirt, so am hoping that helps with the Dawn embarkation issues on Sunday. :rolleyes:

Hubby read all the negative comments and said he hoped I wouldn't be disappointed with this cruise (as it's my birthday present this year). I told him that as long as I had low expectations, I wouldn't be disappointed. :D

We're just going to pack extra patience and work at having fun!!

We will also be on the Sunday sailing. Praying that we don't encounter all the horror stories we have all read about! If we do, we will have to make do but NCL may be our last choice when we cruise again.