QM2 - Difference between cruise and crossing?

bazzaw

We have been on QM2 twice - and we do love her. She does have a different feel about her (as opposed to other cruise ships including the Cunard ones) - and is the only passenger ship I have been on that, for some strange reason I cannot explain, brings back memories to me of my time on 3000 tonne Naval Destroyers ????? (QM2 is about 140,000 tonnes ?)

BUT -- anyway - the short cruises we have done on QM2 were 6 days ( part of a World cruise -Sydney to NZ) and then 5 days on an "across the Channel to Le Havre, Rotterdam" thing.

SO -- what I am really seeking thoughts on - is "what would be the difference we would experience between what we have done and a "crossing" ??

My wife used to get seasick - and it still weighs in the back of her mind. But we have done 200 nights around most oceans/seas of the World, and I want to get her around Capes Horn and Good Hope and I think I can then insist to her that she is a mariner who doesn't get seasick ! :) But at the back of my mind is a statement that you haven't sailed/cruised until you have done the "Crossing" :)

So what is it all about?? -- bear in mind that we have worn the Tuxedos/gowns and gone to the Cunard balls on the other Cunard cruise ships, so we would be looking for more than just that.

Thanks for any thoughts

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

I suppose the main difference for me, is that with no ports to interrupt things, people soon settle into a routine. They are more sociable perhaps. More inclined to join in with on-board activities. There is more time to enjoy the dressing up and the balls.

A lot of the difference is in the mind. Crossings may be a bit dressier, the passengers a bit classier (used to be, anyway) but it is mainly in the realisation that this is all that is left of the days of "the only way to cross"

Of course it's just pastiche now: No longer do you have the early morning arrival in NY into Manhattan. Brooklyn is just not the same, and the crossing is a dawdle. No longer do you get the thrill of being aboard a ship in a hurry.

But there is still an atmosphere you don't get on any other route.

Oh, and how much more impressive would it be sailing out of Liverpool rather than Portsmouth.

David.

Edited by balf

Thanks for those thoughts David.

I think perhaps you have made some kind of "Freudian" slip re Portsmouth??? :) I would love to start a cruise from out of Portsmouth - much more so than Southampton. But as you say, Liverpool would be GREAT!!! :)

Barry

I think perhaps you have made some kind of "Freudian" slip re Portsmouth??? :)

Barry

Thanks Barrie. Now why did I say Portsmouth? Chalk as cheese to Soton that's for sure, even now that the Navy has virtually gone, and the Royal Yatch as well. We sailed from there on the ferries to Spain many times in the past before we took up cruising.

David.

A crossing is as relaxing as you want it to be, or as busy as you want it to be.

You never need wonder where you might eat at any time of the day as you always know that the 'local' restaurant has excellent food and good service.

You can spend all day just focusing on being ready for the evening - no rushing about, no deadlines, no pressures.

Its an activity holiday at sea - for the mind, the body or both.

Basically, stop the world, I'm getting off.

A crossing is as relaxing as you want it to be, or as busy as you want it to be.

You never need wonder where you might eat at any time of the day as you always know that the 'local' restaurant has excellent food and good service.

You can spend all day just focusing on being ready for the evening - no rushing about, no deadlines, no pressures.

Its an activity holiday at sea - for the mind, the body or both.

Basically, stop the world, I'm getting off.

Thanks for that -- I know where you are coming from. However we have had longish times at sea before -- mostly 5-6 days, but have done one 7 day stretch from Southampton to Barbados (had to miss the Azores due to weather). The longer stretches are quite common on longer voyages -- as in World Cruises or other ocean crossing voyages. I have to admit that I do like ports -- especially ones that we haven't been to before and am not too keen on long stretches at sea. :(

I must admit that I do like the thought of arriving into/departing from New York (even if it is "only" Brooklyn :) )

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

It's a thrill, no matter how many times you do it. :)

Yes -- I'm sure it is -- I imagine it is one of those things (like entering Sydney Harbour from the sea) that you never tire of regardless of how many times you have done it.

We have only been to New York once - stayed in the New Yorker hotel for a week. Places we loved were - Central Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York Public Library (tour), Grand Central Station.

Over all, we were disappointed with NYC -- it didn't live up to the "hype" for us (same problem that QM2 has for some people). We had always heard of the wonderful shopping -- but it didn't rate at all compared to London (maybe it is better for the uber-rich? -- but for plebs like us, London we thought is MUCH better).

We have said that we wouldn't bother going back to NYC -- but maybe a month in UK followed by a cruise to NYC and fly home from there would be worth considering further. I wonder if Hawaiian Airlines fly from NYC to Honolulu?? (good stopover point to Oz)

Barry

(maybe it is better for the uber-rich? -- but for plebs like us, London we thought is MUCH better).

I think you may have something there. NYC has amazing things to offer which many people take advantage of, but we have no intention of spending thousands on entertainment before our QM2 trips.......nor the wallet. :D

Personally, I just enjoy seeing the sights and street walking. An unlimited budget would be nice though. :)

Bon voyage, Barry. Our 13 bookings on QM2 have included six crossings and our next cruise in August/September 2014 will have two more. We just love being on the ocean on Queen Mary 2, including the rare but memorable force 10 storms. Your daily schedule is entirely up to you thanks to no port call interruptions. There is more and better music on crossings, e.g. pianists, singers, harpists, string quartets. And you get a greater choice of lecturers.

One way that I have described a crossing is having nothing to do but not enough time to do it in.

I LIKE IT!! :)

Another version of "nothing to do - and all day to do it in! "

Or "Been there, done that -- and retired, with plenty of time to tell you all about it!" ( saw that on a t-shirt! :) )

Barry

Yes -- I'm sure it is -- I imagine it is one of those things (like entering Sydney Harbour from the sea) that you never tire of regardless of how many times you have done it.

We have only been to New York once - stayed in the New Yorker hotel for a week. Places we loved were - Central Park, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York Public Library (tour), Grand Central Station.

Over all, we were disappointed with NYC -- it didn't live up to the "hype" for us (same problem that QM2 has for some people). We had always heard of the wonderful shopping -- but it didn't rate at all compared to London (maybe it is better for the uber-rich? -- but for plebs like us, London we thought is MUCH better).

We have said that we wouldn't bother going back to NYC -- but maybe a month in UK followed by a cruise to NYC and fly home from there would be worth considering further. I wonder if Hawaiian Airlines fly from NYC to Honolulu?? (good stopover point to Oz)

Barry

Barry, I can understand your reaction to NYC. Being a life-long resident of NY, I can tell you that there is no way to appreciate the City (or the State) in a few hours or a few days, but I'm sure that could be said of many port stops.

Shopping in Manhattan? - well, it isn't what it used to be since so many shops have gone bust due to high rents.

However, there is so much to see and do in Manhattan rather than shop. The list of things to do in NYC free of charge is exhausting. And with a few dollars, public transportation can get you to so many interesting sites quickly.

NYC is one of the few port stops around the world that are not dependent on tourism; we'll survive if you don't want to visit - but you are quite welcome should you decide to visit again.:) Cheers, -S.

Barry, I can understand your reaction to NYC.

Hi Salacia

Actually it has been over 10 years since we were in NYC -- just pre-9/11.

I think our problem really lay in the amount of "hype" that we heard from friends - they literally RAVED about it :). But, we had been to London many times - and love it -- so somewhere amongst all that, was our (not negative -- just "So what" ??) perception of NYC. I did say at the time that "next time" we would stay in a hotel closer to Times Square - or maybe somewhere between Times Square and Central Park? The area around Penn Station didn't really "do it" much for us :) - the reason we stayed there was because we had traveled by train down from Montreal and it was close to our arrival point.

Anyway this has strayed far from my original question

Barry

Hi Salacia

Actually it has been over 10 years since we were in NYC -- just pre-9/11.

I think our problem really lay in the amount of "hype" that we heard from friends - they literally RAVED about it :). But, we had been to London many times - and love it -- so somewhere amongst all that, was our (not negative -- just "So what" ??) perception of NYC. I did say at the time that "next time" we would stay in a hotel closer to Times Square - or maybe somewhere between Times Square and Central Park? The area around Penn Station didn't really "do it" much for us :) - the reason we stayed there was because we had traveled by train down from Montreal and it was close to our arrival point.

Anyway this has strayed far from my original question

Barry

Sorry to stray further from your original question, but since you mentioned it...

Sadly, NY is very different since the last time you visited.

Personally, I would not stay in a hotel in either the Times Square or Penn Station area. Actually, I avoid those areas whenever possible. Tourist traps. Congested, nasty, but convenient to trains, planes and buses.

Now back to your original question...

Edited by Salacia

Personally, I would not stay in a hotel in either the Times Square or Penn Station area. Actually, I avoid those areas whenever possible. Tourist traps. Congested, nasty, but convenient to trains, planes and buses.

Now back to your original question...

Before going back --- :) -- what areas of NYC do you recommend (or would stay in yourself?)

Barry

Hi Barry: Crossings on the QMII provide you plenty to do to fill your days. On our crossings we have attended a jazz master class taught by Julliard professors, attended lectures, took acting classes from the Royal Shakespearean Theatre, played black jack, played darts in the pub, worked out at a huge gym, played various board games (including French language Scrabble!), read books, and stared at the sea. Lots of cocktail parties, and all that dressing up, if that appeals. We have booked 2 crossings on the QMII for this summer. Just returned from 2 incredible weeks in NYC, stayed in a Home Away rented apartment in Chelsea. Days jam-packed with museums and city explorations, nights full of visits with friends and eating and shows. In my opinion, NYC is the world's most dynamic city, although with many flaws. And even though the Cunard terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn is not glamorous, don't knock Brooklyn. It's become super-cool, loaded with clubs, hipsters and incredible food. Friends from San Francisco who recently moved to New York did not even consider Manhattan, went right to Brooklyn.

Hi Barry: Crossings on the QMII provide you plenty to do to fill your days. On our crossings we have attended a jazz master class taught by Julliard professors, attended lectures, took acting classes from the Royal Shakespearean Theatre, played black jack, played darts in the pub, worked out at a huge gym, played various board games (including French language Scrabble!), read books, and stared at the sea. Lots of cocktail parties, and all that dressing up, if that appeals. We have booked 2 crossings on the QMII for this summer. Just returned from 2 incredible weeks in NYC, stayed in a Home Away rented apartment in Chelsea. Days jam-packed with museums and city explorations, nights full of visits with friends and eating and shows. In my opinion, NYC is the world's most dynamic city, although with many flaws. And even though the Cunard terminal in Red Hook Brooklyn is not glamorous, don't knock Brooklyn. It's become super-cool, loaded with clubs, hipsters and incredible food. Friends from San Francisco who recently moved to New York did not even consider Manhattan, went right to Brooklyn.

Now -- YOU put a good case forward !!! :)

Barry

One way that I have described a crossing is having nothing to do but not enough time to do it in.

This made me smile. We always say the same thing! I have to take a hi-lighter pen for the daily programme!

Good Morning Barry, Now I will stray from your original question. I admire your clever internet search to find the NYC crime map. But I want to emphasize that, a bit surprising to many, New York has become one of the safest cities in the US. I feel way safer there than ever before, and I have been traveling to NY for 40 years. Huge areas of Manhattan are now super-safe, and quite clean as well for such a dense crazy city. New York is way safer than my hometown, Oakland, and way cleaner than the city across the Bay, San Francisco. Now I know that crime in the US is a shameful issue and that the incidence of US street crime far exceeds that in Australia or Western Europe. But statistics show that New York, and especially Manhattan, have become quite safe. As far as a possible hotel location recommendation, for the sake of convenience, I recommend Times Square, Midtown, Chelsea, Soho, West Village, or Columbus Circle. If you are staying more than 3 nights, you might want to look for an apartment on one of the internet vacation apartment rental sites.

Good Morning Barry, Now I will stray from your original question. I admire your clever internet search to find the NYC crime map. But I want to emphasize that, a bit surprising to many, New York has become one of the safest cities in the US. I feel way safer there than ever before, and I have been traveling to NY for 40 years. Huge areas of Manhattan are now super-safe, and quite clean as well for such a dense crazy city. New York is way safer than my hometown, Oakland, and way cleaner than the city across the Bay, San Francisco. Now I know that crime in the US is a shameful issue and that the incidence of US street crime far exceeds that in Australia or Western Europe. But statistics show that New York, and especially Manhattan, have become quite safe. As far as a possible hotel location recommendation, for the sake of convenience, I recommend Times Square, Midtown, Chelsea, Soho, West Village, or Columbus Circle. If you are staying more than 3 nights, you might want to look for an apartment on one of the internet vacation apartment rental sites.

Thank you for that -- I have no "problem" with crime in NYC - the last time we were there, we were quite comfortable. And I only came across the crime statistic website as it was yesterday featured in the travel section of our local newspaper (online).

Just that there was some short discussion here of "suitable' areas to book hotels in NYC and I thought this this might contribute to that. The trouble is with these kind of graph is that they only show the relative "problem" in the different areas -- relative to one another -- but doesn't give an indication of the absolute problem (ie crimes as a percentage of total populations). - a bit like comparing areas for lightning strikes. Some areas will be worse than others ? -- but overall there is low probability.

Barry