Bad Publicity For Celebrity

I agree your point though about people with super. My wife does cruise bookings for seniors and there's lots of them out there blowing the kids inheritances on cruises. I hope to be doing the same one day.

My mother and aunt are in the process of doing this, taking cruises together, and we all encourage them. We often have a laugh about our "inheritance". Good on them, they worked for it. :)

It appears the Australia and New Zealand facebook page has responded to comments on their wall and they have confirmed that they did in fact offer to send the couple to hospital on land for treatment. Also efforts were made to contact her husband to no avail.

It appears the Australia and New Zealand facebook page has responded to comments on their wall and they have confirmed that they did in fact offer to send the couple to hospital on land for treatment. Also efforts were made to contact her husband to no avail.

Thanks for the report, there is usually more reasons why something has happened than what is reported.:D

If you have a reasonable amount of Super then you are likely to be ineligible for the pension as it does have a means test. Its aimed as a back up for those who don't have super, which a lot of seniors don't as it was not compulsory in their day.

I agree your point though about people with super. My wife does cruise bookings for seniors and there's lots of them out there blowing the kids inheritances on cruises. I hope to be doing the same one day.

People, whether on Age Pension or not can spend their money anyway that they wish. The Means test on Age Pension is fairly generous and you would be surprised how many can qualify for at least a part payment. In regards to Super, the Super guarantee only became compulsory in 1992, so a lot of people that are 65 years or older did not really have enough time to build a large nest egg ( wives of this age have generally not worked in paid employment at all). The Super scheme will take anothe r20 years to be having much of an impact on peopels retirement savings knocking out pensions.:D

This should be about the issue of dementia one of the fastest growing diseases in Australia. I have my elderly mother living with me and she has suffered this disease for a number of years. She loves to cruise, not that she remembers, the vital fact is that she cannot be left alone. Some days are good some days are not and it can change very quickly. I understand the cruise lines concern but the husband, who was in the best position to understand his wife's condition, should not have left her alone. That said I know just how hard it is to deal with the symptoms of this disease every day. Mum goes to a dementia specific day program 5 days a week...it is the only way I can manage and we can happily live together until the day comes when that is no longer possible. Would I take mum on another cruise..sure..but with the proviso I know I have to stay with her day and night.

Sue

This should be about the issue of dementia one of the fastest growing diseases in Australia. I have my elderly mother living with me and she has suffered this disease for a number of years. She loves to cruise, not that she remembers, the vital fact is that she cannot be left alone. Some days are good some days are not and it can change very quickly. I understand the cruise lines concern but the husband, who was in the best position to understand his wife's condition, should not have left her alone. That said I know just how hard it is to deal with the symptoms of this disease every day. Mum goes to a dementia specific day program 5 days a week...it is the only way I can manage and we can happily live together until the day comes when that is no longer possible. Would I take mum on another cruise..sure..but with the proviso I know I have to stay with her day and night.

Sue

Sue, that seems to be the issue. The poor lady was left on her own and become disorientated and distressed. As you say, a person with dementia needs to have someone with them at all times. It is a pity that the family here did not appear to plan to have another person/family member accompany the couple as back up. Careful planning can prevent a lot of issues.

Don't forget to watch tonight (Friday 06 December) 6.30pm on Channel 7 'Today Tonight' program.

Looking at the adverts it is showing Celebrity Millennium.... mind you that doesn't mean to say that was the actual ship. The media will show anything for their story.

Jill:)

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

I didn't watch - was going to check online later. I did see the promo for it on line and that was enough to show me it has been sensationalised and will in all likelihood be a one-sided affair. Interesting that the story seems to have disappeared off the TT website - the promo was definitely there earlier but I can't find it now!

Well that was a waste of time....the program wasn't even on tonight. Only saw the advert for it on Sunrise this morning. Maybe it'll be on the Monday show?

Jill

Yes, Nelson Mandela special instead that then pushed the news back. Perhaps it will be on Monday.:D

Sue

I am sorry to hear about your Mum, it must be very difficult for everyone. I would be worried about taking someone with dementia out of their known routine but I am sure if you are prepared, cruising can still be an option. :D

There is no way I or my wife would go on a cruise if we thought we would be a hinderance to others, whether other pax or ship's staff.

I have to agree with this but sadly this is not the norm. Now, it's "I've paid my money and I'm entitled to go and if you refuse I'll scream discrimination. "

There are some stories on these boards where I've just not responded because I know it will cause me grief. I think in this case the husband should never have left his wife alone. I'm thinking that he assumed others would be responsible for her. I've just been on a cruise with my elderly mother who is fully able except for walking long distance. It's quite a responsibility even so.

Edited by Pushka

Don't forget to watch tonight (Friday 06 December) 6.30pm on Channel 7 'Today Tonight' program.

Looking at the adverts it is showing Celebrity Millennium.... mind you that doesn't mean to say that was the actual ship. The media will show anything for their story.

Jill:)

They did sail on the Millennium...it mentions it in the article I posted on the first page... ;)

I have to agree with this but sadly this is not the norm. Now, it's "I've paid my money and I'm entitled to go and if you refuse I'll scream discrimination. "

There are some stories on these boards where I've just not responded because I know it will cause me grief. I think in this case the husband should never have left his wife alone. I'm thinking that he assumed others would be responsible for her. I've just been on a cruise with my elderly mother who is fully able except for walking long distance. It's quite a responsibility even so.

That's sad. I read the comment before about not imposing our values on others.

The problem is that others feel free to impose their situation on others without such concerns.

Interesting, Pushka, a UK cruise site seems much more in tune with the comments on this thread and what is coming through is that they would need more information than was was provided in the newspaper article to make a considered judgement. Maybe the link between the colony and mother country is not dead yet. ;)

Edited by Aussieflyer

And that's interesting too Aussieflyer. I'd post the link for everyone here but am already in trouble for posting an email addy in a TA discussion.

The website I found was a possibly quasi legal discussion site so I'm thinking "compensation" screaming.

I think Aussies and England are made of sterner stuff.

Edited by Pushka