Bad Publicity For Celebrity

This thread was quoted in a USA website about cruise issues. And accused us of basically being paid RCL fanbois. Sigh.

Haha, yes I read that.

"Cruise Critic is best known for being exposed as a paid cruise line cheerleader shilling for Royal Caribbean on its reviews and message boards."

Who knew that's what we're best known for?!

Most Cruise lines state in it's website and in the actual cruise contract that all guests must be fit to travel. That ship's personnel is not required to perform personal tasks. That if a guest requires the need of an assistant than it's the responsibility of that individual (or family) to make the necessary arrangements to have someone traveling with them to perform the needed functions. Apparently from the article the Husband failed providing the proper assistance for his wife when he chose to leave her on board alone.

This is not the first time a cruise lines has removed passengers for such a matter. It happens more than actually publicized. Just do a search of past threads.

I feel sad that this lady was left alone while hubby went ashore. I think Celebrity have done the correct thing. The family of the couple must surely realise this?

My mum has dementia and my dad cares for her. In January this year my hubby and I went on a cruise with them so dad could have a break and we were there to be with mum.

She always had someone with her and this was our responsibility, not for one minute did we ever think the ship or crew should look after her.

We don't get Today Tonight televised where I live, will have to look it up online after it has aired tonight.

For a totally unbalanced view on most things about cruises read this lawyers blog.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/12/articles/worst-cruise-line-in-the-world/celebrity-cruises-kicks-elderly-couple-off-millennium-cruise-ship/

December 7 2013 Update: The popular cruise on line community Cruise Critic has comments about the story on its board under the topic "Bad Publicity for Celebrity." As usual, the Cruise Critic cruise line supporters defend Celebrity's callous conduct and blame the passengers. Cruise Critic is best known for being exposed as a paid cruise line cheerleader shilling for Royal Caribbean on its reviews and message boards.

Nice to know that we are paid cheerleaders shilling for cruise lines - I wonder where the check is?

The cruise lines conditions are specific that they are not responsible for the daily care of passengers only "medical treatment" it is unrealistic to expect a ships crew to provide ongoing care and supervision for any passenger who is not physically or mentally capable of independent travel.

Personally I think it is far to common that passengers are allowed to board who are totally unfit for travel and dealing with any emergency that may arise .

For a totally unbalanced view on most things about cruises read this lawyers blog.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/12/articles/worst-cruise-line-in-the-world/celebrity-cruises-kicks-elderly-couple-off-millennium-cruise-ship/

December 7 2013 Update: The popular cruise on line community Cruise Critic has comments about the story on its board under the topic "Bad Publicity for Celebrity." As usual, the Cruise Critic cruise line supporters defend Celebrity's callous conduct and blame the passengers. Cruise Critic is best known for being exposed as a paid cruise line cheerleader shilling for Royal Caribbean on its reviews and message boards.

Nice to know that we are paid cheerleaders shilling for cruise lines - I wonder where the check is?

I still haven't received my pom poms from X,:(

Do I have to wait until I am Elite?:rolleyes:

I watched the item on Channel 7. I notice that the gentlemen concerned (the husband) said he went ashore in Cairns, leaving his wife on board for only one hour. I challenge ANYONE to go ashore by tender and return in one hour unless they stay on the tender and go straight back on board. While he was ashore, his wife had been found wandering the corridors and taken to the medical centre where she was assessed. When he arrived back on board, he was met by a crew member who had already packed all their belongings. I believe he would have been absent from the ship for at least a couple of hours - maybe more. Forget the "only one hour".

Just watched the segment on Today Tonight. My opinion is that the blame lies with the husband. He will be very well aware that his wife cannot be left alone. People with Dementia do not like new things, new places and new routines. If we can all admit to getting lost trying to find our cabin, how on earth is someone with Dementia supposed to find it? No wonder she was found distressed wandering around with no idea where her cabin was.

He mentioned he cruised with P &O at the beginning of the year with no issues. His wife was probably not as affected and probably luckily for him no one noticed his wife's situation. But I bet his table mates did.

Jill

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

Just watched the story on the TV and in my opinion it was so one sided against the Cruise Company that it could be "biased reporting".

We are both senior citizens and my wife often gets "lost" on the ships so it doesnt take dementia to get disoriented. Just watching the poor old lady on the TV story it was evident she had dementia.

The Husband should not have left her for one minute on her own let alone the "hour" he claims he was ashore in Cairns.

I fully support the Actions of the Cruise company and what has the husband got to whinge about. He has received a substantial part refund of his previous cruise and a full refund for this one.

Get a life for goodness sake!!!

John

We don't get Today Tonight televised where I live

Where do you live - sounds like HEAVEN! - some of us would pay money for that option (yes I know we can change the channel)

I watched the item and I think the husband has to take responsibility for what happened - sadly circumstances have changed for this couple and some things they used to be able to do are now no longer possible

I watched the item on Channel 7. I notice that the gentlemen concerned (the husband) said he went ashore in Cairns, leaving his wife on board for only one hour. I challenge ANYONE to go ashore by tender and return in one hour unless they stay on the tender and go straight back on board. While he was ashore, his wife had been found wandering the corridors and taken to the medical centre where she was assessed. When he arrived back on board, he was met by a crew member who had already packed all their belongings. I believe he would have been absent from the ship for at least a couple of hours - maybe more. Forget the "only one hour".

Agree, he is lying through his teeth. He even contradicted himself, first he said he was met on the dock by his wife and luggage and then he was frog marched off the ship.

I do feel sorry for them both.

However, the husband is totally to blame and is now looking for an angle and compensation. He is claiming he still hasn't heard from X yet they would have told him (most likely ion writing) exactly why they were disembarked and what sort of refund they would receive back. I have had more info for a cancelled excursion from X then what he claims he has received.:D

Where do you live - sounds like HEAVEN! - some of us would pay money for that option (yes I know we can change the channel)

I watched the item and I think the husband has to take responsibility for what happened - sadly circumstances have changed for this couple and some things they used to be able to do are now no longer possible

we dont get it either, they have the local news followed by the Sydney news, we get Current Affairs tho

I He is claiming he still hasn't heard from X yet they would have told him (most likely ion writing) exactly why they were disembarked and what sort of refund they would receive back.

Although I've made my view on the topic clear earlier, the above claim may well be true.

I've heard in other situations it can sometimes take a substantial amount of time to get a reply - it may well need to be approved through legal as well as management, particularly with the litigious society we have.

Even relatively straightforward issues can take weeks to get a response so his claim there doesn't sound false.

Agree, he is lying through his teeth. He even contradicted himself, first he said he was met on the dock by his wife and luggage and then he was frog marched off the ship.

And I thought he said he was met "on board" by a member of the crew. That seems reasonable, because it would only be when his cruise card was scanned that they would be able to identify him. I really don't think they would have delayed everyone on the dock trying to find the 'husband' and it is quite clear that he did return to the ship from other things he said. Going on what he said about not being able to understand the doctor's English, it would seem that he was taken to the medical centre for an explanation.

This gentleman is probably finding it difficult to accept his wife's condition and it might only be in a situation like this, that it becomes apparent how bad it is. At home, she might be OK if left for a few hours (forget his statement of one hour).

And I thought he said he was met "on board" by a member of the crew. That seems reasonable, because it would only be when his cruise card was scanned that they would be able to identify him. I really don't think they would have delayed everyone on the dock trying to find the 'husband' and it is quite clear that he did return to the ship from other things he said. Going on what he said about not being able to understand the doctor's English, it would seem that he was taken to the medical centre for an explanation.

This gentleman is probably finding it difficult to accept his wife's condition and it might only be in a situation like this, that it becomes apparent how bad it is. At home, she might be OK if left for a few hours (forget his statement of one hour).

He certainly needs to face the reality that he cannot leave his wife alone, she needs a carer if he is needing respite.:D

Makes you realize how relatively easy it is for someone to "bluff" their situation and board the ship. Mind you he took her on a plane where she could have easily had a panic attack.

Yes I agree it is impossible to go ashore by tender into Cairns and return to the ship all in an hour....

Someone from the UK on the Celebrity Boards said they were on this cruise and said that the delays getting on and off the tenders were at least half an hour each way. Add to that time to explore and I'm thinking he was away for quite some time. The cruise line will know.

I have to agree with most people on here. He should NEVER have left her alone and it had to be more than an hour as it was a tender port.

This was supposed to be (as they said) a "holiday of a lifetime" BUT, they had cruised earlier this year and by the sounds of it, this was the first of a B2B. Three cruises in one year=holiday of a lifetime???? Really??? Even I don't consider our cruises to be a holiday of a life time (although I did for the first one lol) and we can't do three in a year.