Which Haven did you prefer Breakaway or Gem?

rocky55

Hi! I want to book a cruise this summer. My 11 yr old daughter and myself are definitely going, and my friend and her daughter might come. (If they come they will book in the Haven also.)

I have cruised quite a bit, but never in a suite with perks. I went on the Breakaway, but never on the Gem or any other NCL ship. I do enjoy the Breakaway, it was a little big for me and the pool was crowded, but I love cruising so much, I didn't really mind.

I was wondering which haven pool area was better - the Breakaway or the Gem? I also know the Breakaway has it's own Haven restaurant, I love that for breakfast and lunch. I am not sure what the Gem has.

I looked at the prices, they are about the same. I really don't care about which itinerary we do, being in the Haven is such a splurge for us, I just care about which one is better.

Thank you for anyone opinions!! I am so excited!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure about the Gem, but there isn't much of a pool in the Breakaway's haven, take a look here http://cruisesource.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Breakaway-Haven-Pool-Photo.jpg Not sure if you need any more pool than that! Enjoy your cruise whichever one you decide on.

There is even less pool in the Gem Haven, although fewer persons to use it as well.

OP, if you are looking for pool time with your daughter, I would definitely recommend the Breakaway over the Gem. The Breakaway Haven is larger and less tranquil, so more kid-friendly. It has more amenities, like more than one hot tub, etc. The much much smaller Gem Haven is supposed to be serene, and is less kid-friendly (although sometimes kids do take over the space, it only takes a couple to change the whole atmosphere because of the size).. Neither Haven is actually a kid's favorite kind of place - my kids (when they were younger) preferred the hustle and bustle main pool area to the Haven, which was a bit too adult and peaceful for them.

The Gem does not have a dedicated Haven restaurant, but instead serves breakfast and lunch for suite guests in Cagney's (and no suites-only dinner venue like the Breakaway).

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

I've never sailed the Gem....

But the Epic, Breakaway and soon to be Getaway are the only ships with the dedicated Haven Restaurant, Grill and Lounge/Bar area - in addition to the pool area, which has already been discussed.

I have sailed in the Haven on the Epic and Breakaway - with the Getaway booked. The service and attention to detail by the Concierge, Butler and the rest of the Haven staff is FANTASTIC!

On smaller ships the Haven experience is much more personal. Even on sky that has no haven, the suite experience is top notch. The concierge checks in on you at breakfast and in the evening. They know your name and bend over backwards.

On Epic, the Haven is huge and while the experience is still positive, there are so many Haven guests that the service is nowhere near the smaller ships. I would book Breakaway over the Gem for a regular cabin. But if I was ONLY cruising for the Haven experience, I would book Gem.

I have been in the Haven on the Pearl, the Jade, and the Epic. The dedicated Haven restaurant is lovely, the Posh sun deck is really good but I still prefer the service and intimacy of the Jewel class ships. Also there were NO gummy bears or M and Ms on the last cruise on Epic :eek:.

Enjoy Epic bliss, we have just booked her again for our anniversary next summer :D

I've sailed in the Haven aboard Breakaway and Jade (sistership to Gem) and agree that Breakaway's pool area tends to have a livelier atmosphere. There are more suites that have access to the Haven on Breakaway, which means that there are more people using the facilities. However, this is offset by the tremendous difference in size between the two spaces. Additionally, you ought to keep in mind that your fellow cruisers are a huge, unknown variable in all of this. My summer cruise on Jade had a couple of little rascals that made the Haven anything but serene. Refer to my photos below for a comparison (Right - Jade, Left - Breakaway). The two levels of seating and second hot tub on Breakaway allow the Haven to easily accommodate more people. The double height of the space also makes the area feel lighter and more open. Both have retractable glass roofs to keep the rain out on dreary days.

It's a matter of personal preference regarding which is "better," but I prefer the Haven on Breakaway and Epic as I enjoy being able to eat dinner in the Haven Restaurant. I started cruising with Cunard, and, although I enjoy Freestyle dining (dine alfresco at Cagney's on the Waterfront, you won't regret it), I always think it's nice to be able to eat in the same place with the same staff most nights. You rarely wait for a table, everyone knows your name and your personal preferences, and the service is excellent, friendly and attentive without being too comfortable.

Service in the Haven, even on the same ship, seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Although concierges on Epic and Breakaway have to work harder to service more suites, a good concierge remains a good concierge regardless of the size of the ship. Some are better than others (not that I've ever had one that was bad), and that goes for the butlers as well. The concierges on Epic and Breakaway still managed to learn my name and give me special attention when I needed it. They'll all bend over backwards to please, but as I implied earlier, some more than others.

Jade.jpg.75926291cbd4b1eaea12d152731c19d3.jpg

Breakaway.jpg.acd33cb03b8207e76525bd1fa5e8c58b.jpg

I've sailed in the Haven aboard Breakaway and Jade (sistership to Gem) and agree that Breakaway's pool area tends to have a livelier atmosphere. There are more suites that have access to the Haven on Breakaway, which means that there are more people using the facilities. However, this is offset by the tremendous difference in size between the two spaces. Additionally, you ought to keep in mind that your fellow cruisers are a huge, unknown variable in all of this. My summer cruise on Jade had a couple of little rascals that made the Haven anything but serene. Refer to my photos below for a comparison (Right - Jade, Left - Breakaway). The two levels of seating and second hot tub on Breakaway allow the Haven to easily accommodate more people. The double height of the space also makes the area feel lighter and more open. Both have retractable glass roofs to keep the rain out on dreary days.

It's a matter of personal preference regarding which is "better," but I prefer the Haven on Breakaway and Epic as I enjoy being able to eat dinner in the Haven Restaurant. I started cruising with Cunard, and, although I enjoy Freestyle dining (dine alfresco at Cagney's on the Waterfront, you won't regret it), I always think it's nice to be able to eat in the same place with the same staff most nights. You rarely wait for a table, everyone knows your name and your personal preferences, and the service is excellent, friendly and attentive without being too comfortable.

Service in the Haven, even on the same ship, seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Although concierges on Epic and Breakaway have to work harder to service more suites, a good concierge remains a good concierge regardless of the size of the ship. Some are better than others (not that I've ever had one that was bad), and that goes for the butlers as well. The concierges on Epic and Breakaway still managed to learn my name and give me special attention when I needed it. They'll all bend over backwards to please, but as I implied earlier, some more than others.

Thank you everyone for their responses and help. Barnacle_Boy, thank you for your in depth response. Does anyone have an opinion on which suite they like best. I am debating between the spa haven or forward facing suite. The only other one that is a possibility is the aft. It is a good amount more than the other two and it is a good distance from the Haven and the kids club. (On the Breakaway that I am leaning more towards.)

Thank you everyone for their responses and help. Barnacle_Boy, thank you for your in depth response. Does anyone have an opinion on which suite they like best. I am debating between the spa haven or forward facing suite. The only other one that is a possibility is the aft. It is a good amount more than the other two and it is a good distance from the Haven and the kids club. (On the Breakaway that I am leaning more towards.)

I stayed in a Haven Spa Suite in August. I loved it!! having access to the spa and Haven was the best of both worlds! If your traveling with children, you can't book the Haven Spa Suite. The suite only sleeps 2 people.

I stayed in the Haven Forward Facing Penthouse on Breakaway in May. It really isn't much of a competition between the Spa Suite, the Forward Facing Penthouse wins by a mile. Not only is it considerably larger, the Forward Facing has two separate rooms (living and dining) so that your daughter can have her own space to sleep in. Attached below are several pictures of the living room and the bedroom from our Forward Facing. The brown sofa folds out into a surprisingly comfortable bed. If you plan to dine in your suite, keep in mind that the Spa Suite does not have a dining table, but the Forward Facing does. Earlier this year, I sailed in a Spa Suite aboard Epic with my mother, and it was an utter nightmare. Those suites are clearly designed with couples, who have nothing to hide, in mind. Although Breakaway's Spa Suites are very different from Epic's, the most objectionable feature remains: the bathtub, surrounded by crystal-clear glass, in the middle of the room next to the bed. One of the last things I want to see on vacation when I roll out of bed in the morning (well, anywhere actually) is my mother bathing.

The best perk of the Spa Suites is the unlimited access to the spa's thermal suite at the forward most end of deck 14. The prices for spa passes have risen almost exponentially in recent years, (current price is an outrageous $200 per person for the week) so if you intend to go to the spa everyday, perhaps it'd be worthwhile. I personally do not care for Breakaway's thermal suite. I had a week pass on my first Breakaway cruise in May, but decided to go for only a few days on my subsequent Breakaway cruise in August. Epic and the Jewel Class ships have fantastic saunas that have a spectacular view of the sea below, but Breakaway's sauna has been tucked away in a recess. There's nothing wrong with that, but it feels just like any other sauna on land; there's nothing special about it. The much hyped salt room is underwhelming. Salt rooms are such that, to feel any benefit at all, you need to be in there for at least 30 min. for several days. A weeklong cruise is far too short. Many of the people who went inside didn't even know what the benefits of the salt room were since it's not readily apparent anything is happening (it supposedly helps with your respiration, but the jury's still out even on that). Breakaway's one saving grace is the unbelievably powerful steam room, the best on any ship I've sailed on. The heated tile loungers are nice as well, but they're ubiquitous.

My advice to use is to book the Aft Facing Penthouse if you can get one. It is, by far, the best accommodations onboard. We saw one on a cabin crawl, and decided to book one on Getaway for March as soon as we went ashore. As with the Forward Facing, you get the same two different rooms (living and dining) but also an additional small bathroom with separate shower adjacent to the living room. Such a feature would be ideal for your daughter. Breakaway, as with other new ships from other cruise lines, have unreasonably tiny balconies. The Forward Facing has a tiny balcony, same as regular Balcony cabins, except with faux whicker furniture. With my 6'4" frame, my knees were hitting the railing when I wanted to face the sea. I don't have to worry about having the same thing happen to me again on Getaway; the balconies on the Aft Facing Penthouses are the largest onboard with each featuring multiple chairs, a dining table, and recliners. The category comes in several different layouts depending on your needs. I suggest the one that has the bedroom opening onto the balcony (decks 11 and 14), rather that the bathroom, because the two separate doorways allow you to go out on to the balcony in the early morning without having to disturb your daughter next door. The only downside is having to traverse the vast distance from the very aft of the ship to the very forward in order to get to the Haven. If you forget something in an aft suite, as I once did, it will take you at least 10 minutes to go back and retrieve it.

DSC_8358.jpg.ee9fad8042692898e34c7269788aa852.jpg

DSC_8353.jpg.0072e9b502e13f4f86f94f96ca1e3a10.jpg

I stayed in the Haven Forward Facing Penthouse on Breakaway in May. It really isn't much of a competition between the Spa Suite, the Forward Facing Penthouse wins by a mile. Not only is it considerably larger, the Forward Facing has two separate rooms (living and dining) so that your daughter can have her own space to sleep in. Attached below are several pictures of the living room and the bedroom from our Forward Facing. The brown sofa folds out into a surprisingly comfortable bed. If you plan to dine in your suite, keep in mind that the Spa Suite does not have a dining table, but the Forward Facing does. Earlier this year, I sailed in a Spa Suite aboard Epic with my mother, and it was an utter nightmare. Those suites are clearly designed with couples, who have nothing to hide, in mind. Although Breakaway's Spa Suites are very different from Epic's, the most objectionable feature remains: the bathtub, surrounded by crystal-clear glass, in the middle of the room next to the bed. One of the last things I want to see on vacation when I roll out of bed in the morning (well, anywhere actually) is my mother bathing.

The best perk of the Spa Suites is the unlimited access to the spa's thermal suite at the forward most end of deck 14. The prices for spa passes have risen almost exponentially in recent years, (current price is an outrageous $200 per person for the week) so if you intend to go to the spa everyday, perhaps it'd be worthwhile. I personally do not care for Breakaway's thermal suite. I had a week pass on my first Breakaway cruise in May, but decided to go for only a few days on my subsequent Breakaway cruise in August. Epic and the Jewel Class ships have fantastic saunas that have a spectacular view of the sea below, but Breakaway's sauna has been tucked away in a recess. There's nothing wrong with that, but it feels just like any other sauna on land; there's nothing special about it. The much hyped salt room is underwhelming. Salt rooms are such that, to feel any benefit at all, you need to be in there for at least 30 min. for several days. A weeklong cruise is far too short. Many of the people who went inside didn't even know what the benefits of the salt room were since it's not readily apparent anything is happening (it supposedly helps with your respiration, but the jury's still out even on that). Breakaway's one saving grace is the unbelievably powerful steam room, the best on any ship I've sailed on. The heated tile loungers are nice as well, but they're ubiquitous.

My advice to use is to book the Aft Facing Penthouse if you can get one. It is, by far, the best accommodations onboard. We saw one on a cabin crawl, and decided to book one on Getaway for March as soon as we went ashore. As with the Forward Facing, you get the same two different rooms (living and dining) but also an additional small bathroom with separate shower adjacent to the living room. Such a feature would be ideal for your daughter. Breakaway, as with other new ships from other cruise lines, have unreasonably tiny balconies. The Forward Facing has a tiny balcony, same as regular Balcony cabins, except with faux whicker furniture. With my 6'4" frame, my knees were hitting the railing when I wanted to face the sea. I don't have to worry about having the same thing happen to me again on Getaway; the balconies on the Aft Facing Penthouses are the largest onboard with each featuring multiple chairs, a dining table, and recliners. The category comes in several different layouts depending on your needs. I suggest the one that has the bedroom opening onto the balcony (decks 11 and 14), rather that the bathroom, because the two separate doorways allow you to go out on to the balcony in the early morning without having to disturb your daughter next door. The only downside is having to traverse the vast distance from the very aft of the ship to the very forward in order to get to the Haven. If you forget something in an aft suite, as I once did, it will take you at least 10 minutes to go back and retrieve it.

I so appreciate all your help! I would prefer the bigger balcony, but the aft penthouse is a $1000 more for the week. I am going to have to be very conservative on my spending this year just to book the Haven. (I love going on vacations so much, and would rather save all year and go on one amazing vacation.) I didn't know I couldn't book the Spa with my daughter. Glad I learned that. I did see a forward facing suite and saw the balcony was the same as my regular balcony room. :(

Thanks for all the information Barnacle_boy. I am booked in a forward penthouse on Getaway. Loved your photos too. For only 13 posts on cruise critic, you sure are a fountain of information ;)

Here's one my videos that gives a little tour of the Forward Facing on Breakaway to whet your appetite for Getaway:

It really is a wonderful suite. The decor is a sharp departure from the neon wonderland on other NCL ships. I love the muted colors and the clean, sharp contemporary look they've decided to move forward with. NCL seems to have learned their lesson from Epic, and have regained their solid grasp on functional cabin design. Other than the pitifully small balcony, my only complaint was that there were no soap dishes for the sinks in the bathroom, but that is an issue that can be easily rectified.

I only joined CC six months ago, and my interest in participating tends to fluctuate. Don't let the low number of posts fool you, I've been on a reasonable number of cruises with a handful of different cruise lines, I just don't like letting people know too much about me on extremely public forums such as this. There's not enough mystery left in today's technological age as it is ;)

Edited by barnacle_boy

Here's one my videos that gives a little tour of the Forward Facing on Breakaway to whet your appetite for Getaway:

It really is a wonderful suite. The decor is a sharp departure from the neon wonderland on other NCL ships. I love the muted colors and the clean, sharp contemporary look they've decided to move forward with. NCL seems to have learned their lesson from Epic, and have regained their solid grasp on functional cabin design. Other than the pitifully small balcony, my only complaint was that there were no soap dishes for the sinks in the bathroom, but that is an issue that can be easily rectified.

I only joined CC six months ago, and my interest in participating tends to fluctuate. Don't let the low number of posts fool you, I've been on a reasonable number of cruises with a handful of different cruise lines, I just don't like letting people know too much about me on extremely public forums such as this. There's not enough mystery left in today's technological age as it is ;)

Wow, your videos are insane. Never seen anything like them before (and I have watched endless videos of ships).

Totally amazing!

Not sure how you do it but thanks for sharing. Your video of Allure was spectacular.

I completely understand rocky55. As much as I would like to sail in the Haven all the time, out of the handful of cruises booked so far for 2014, only one (Getaway) will be. If the itinerary is interesting, and the ship entertaining, I don't mind it too much. The Forward Facing is certainly worth saving for; I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time :) The New York-Bermuda run is an absolute classic, once served by some of the most innovative ships of the early 20th century. Breakaway is a fitting choice for the route.

Thanks, david_sobe! I appreciate the compliments. I'm planning to do some next year during my Panama Canal and Quantum of the Seas cruises. They are labor intensive works of love, so I don't do them for repeats or mundane ships and itineraries.

• 7 months later...

I am interested to get the Haven suite in the Jewel.

Knowing you had stayed in 1 before, I would like to know can I access the thermal suite to use the sauna, steambath & thermal ceramic lounge for free if I am staying in a Haven suite? Or do I have to pay for it as it is under spa category? Jewel has no spa cabin.

I have been in the Haven on the Pearl, the Jade, and the Epic. The dedicated Haven restaurant is lovely, the Posh sun deck is really good but I still prefer the service and intimacy of the Jewel class ships. Also there were NO gummy bears or M and Ms on the last cruise on Epic :eek:.

Enjoy Epic bliss, we have just booked her again for our anniversary next summer :D

I am interested to get the Haven suite in the Jewel.

Knowing you had stayed in 1 before, I would like to know can I access the thermal suite to use the sauna, steambath & thermal ceramic lounge for free if I am staying in a Haven suite? Or do I have to pay for it as it is under spa category? Jewel has no spa cabin.

It is not included for any suite on the Jewel. There are, however, small steam rooms (male and female) in the Haven for use by Haven guests. For use of the larger spa, you would have to buy a separate spa pass.

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

If I read it right, the OP is going with 11 yr old daughter. And if friend comes with daughter, they would ALSO get a haven suite.

I might suggest the 2 BR suite,in or out of the haven. On the GEM (Jewel Class) ships you still get to eat at Cagneys for Breakfast and Lunch. You can get the 2BR in the Haven area, or elsewhere.

The two girls can easily share the 2nd bedroom with their own bath. The only possible issue is sharing the Master Bed with friend. That bed is labeled a queen, but is more like a king. the master bath is separated from the living/dining area by a door.

Way less expensive, and you all will probably be together most of the time anyways.

I was not that impressed with the Haven on the Jewel. Yes it was nice but we really did not use the Haven area. We visited once to see what was and noted that pool was really small and found that area to be somewhat claustrophobic.

Also attended the Captain's Party and found it crowded. Good service, drinks, etc. But again it seemed too small.

No dedicated restaurant for the Haven on the Jewel class ships.

Haven't been on a jewel class yet (will be on the Jade in October), but the Haven on the Breakaway is beautiful and expansive. Really no need to leave if you don't want to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Gem would be my pick hands down . Although there is no dedicated Haven restaurant you can order from Cagney's and sit and eat in the Haven area for breakfast or lunch.

The Aft Haven on the BA was my least favorite room I have been in. The Balcony is huge but the room set up is terrible and they should have transportation service to the Haven from there it is a very long walk. Jewel Class Haven rooms are great especially the 2 bedroom. Happy sailing whatever you decide.

I was not that impressed with the Haven on the Jewel. Yes it was nice but we really did not use the Haven area. We visited once to see what was and noted that pool was really small and found that area to be somewhat claustrophobic.

Also attended the Captain's Party and found it crowded. Good service, drinks, etc. But again it seemed too small.

No dedicated restaurant for the Haven on the Jewel class ships.

I agree with this 100%

If I read it right, the OP is going with 11 yr old daughter. And if friend comes with daughter, they would ALSO get a haven suite.

I might suggest the 2 BR suite,in or out of the haven. On the GEM (Jewel Class) ships you still get to eat at Cagneys for Breakfast and Lunch. You can get the 2BR in the Haven area, or elsewhere.

The two girls can easily share the 2nd bedroom with their own bath. The only possible issue is sharing the Master Bed with friend. That bed is labeled a queen, but is more like a king. the master bath is separated from the living/dining area by a door.

Way less expensive, and you all will probably be together most of the time anyways.

thanks for your info> for the first time and probably the last, we are getting a haven suite on the Jewel in Feb. It is a special girls week with 5 of us sharing. I can't wait. Normally we have just a simple balcony cabin or even sometimes just an outside without the balcony.