Carnival Glory New Dining Photos

rockbock

Peter Luger is family styled steakhouse. Been there several times and cannot say its elegant dining. Especially during lunch, many people wear jeans and even hoodie :( le Bernardin and Jean George are upscale restaurants. If you've dined there you know what I mean.

But Zagat's lists it as the number one steakhouse in New York. As I recall, you don't eat elegant. Carnival is giving their clients what they want here. Americanizing the MDR experience is doing just that.

I haven't. But where do you draw the line? Do you touch elevator buttons? Stair rails? The arm of your chairs? The salt shaker? I just don't see what is so germy about the new table setting style. I'd worry a lot more about the buffet than the MDR.

Actually, the most disgusting place in the DR is the back underneath of a chair.

But I do use my knuckles for the elevator.

Actually, the most disgusting place in the DR is the back underneath of a chair.

But I do use my knuckles for the elevator.

Okay, you have piqued my interest. What makes that so disgusting??? Inquiring minds want to know!

But Zagat's lists it as the number one steakhouse in New York. As I recall, you don't eat elegant. Carnival is giving their clients what they want here. Americanizing the MDR experience is doing just that.

The steak is great there, but I'm talking about "elegant" which pamrose228 questioned in her post.

Well for all of you that said NO, that is a Michelin Star restaurant in NYC. Peter Luger's world renowned Steakhouse. Very fine dining and people from all over the world come to eat there. The food is divine.

\

So I guess most of you have never dined at award winning places.

Firstly you can't be serious comparing Peter Luger's to the Carnival main dining room. Lets see do I want a Peter Luger's steak or a flat iron steak? Give me a minute to think about that one! Peter Luger's gets a Michelin Star for FOOD!! The only stars that Carnival will see are those they sail under on a clear evening. Peter Luger's gets away with this because they serve incredible food. Carnival must do all they can to offset the quality of the food.

Well for all of you that said NO, that is a Michelin Star restaurant in NYC. Peter Luger's world renowned Steakhouse. Very fine dining and people from all over the world come to eat there. The food is divine.

\

So I guess most of you have never dined at award winning places.

You asked if the place looked elegant. I think the people who said "no" were answering that question. You can't judge the food by looking at their tables, just like you can't judge a book by its cover.

Tablecloths or not, makes no difference to me and DW. Just give us some better food, served correctly (cooked right and served proper temps). Just off Fascination, and ate Dinner at Lido 2 nights (no steakhouse option) due to lack of anything we wanted on menu.

Regardless of MDR appearance, if table service not improved from present 3 person teams, nothing will improve IMHO.:(

The steak is great there, but I'm talking about "elegant" which pamrose228 questioned in her post.

I understand. I as trying to make a point on great food being more important than elegant. I can't eat elegant.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Is this in effect on all ships? Cruising the Victory in January and wondering if we'll have that too.

Also, when do the new menus and family style dining start? Is that going on on the glory now as well?

Currently only on one ship - Glory. Fleet wide is at least a year out. Much drama over nothing.

More like a smart a$$ (sorry if that violates posting rules). When we started sailing Carnival almost 20 years ago.... I thought dinner was a bit to over produced. I don't expect a fancy french restaurant. I am glad see they have taken the Amercian theme one step further. The comfort food menu started this. In America, there is all kind of fancy and expensive... tableclothes do not set the standard for this. It will be interesting to see if they are back for "formal" night.... my guess is they will be and so there will be mix of different experiences.

Yes, JH posted a photo last week of an elegant night table mock up

neweleganttable.png

Aesthetics. Why have all the fancy decorations throughout the ships. Why have any pictures or wall hangings? Why not have every room look exactly the same?

And I'll say it again...I set a beautiful table, and don't use a tablecloth. I have never had any complaints, but I've had many compliments. Bottom line though, it doesn't change how the food I serve tastes, and that is what is important to me.

I understand, though, some people prefer the tablecloth (different strokes and all that)....that is not what confuses me....what confuses me is the people that say they are done with Carnival because of no tablecloth. That just seems a little extreme.:)

And some of those fancy decorations could go away, and wouldn't bother me a bit!!!

Edited by put me on a ship

Yet...

Although don't complain if it does or you may be accused of longing for an illusion or told the ever-tired "if it keeps cruise fares down..."

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread about this. Some of the best food comes from places that use plastic silverware and paper napkins. A fancy place setting does not mean quality. I would much rather have good food with a relaxed setting then crappy food in a formal setting.

People can't seem to grasp that carnival, ncl and royal all cater to masses from the person on a tight budget to the people that spend tons. Carnival is smart. They know their biggest seller is being the lowest priced line. I know I sailed them because they hit the places I wanted but the biggest factor at the time was they were the best deal. That isn't a bad thing. I don't understand why people get so upset by people calling carnival the budget line. And as a budget line I would expect it to not be as formal or have the same amenities as a higher priced line. It's not any different then staying at a holiday inn vs the ritz. It would be stupid to expect the same experience at the holiday inn that I would get by paying more for the ritz.

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread about this. Some of the best food comes from places that use plastic silverware and paper napkins. A fancy place setting does not mean quality. I would much rather have good food with a relaxed setting then crappy food in a formal setting.

People can't seem to grasp that carnival, ncl and royal all cater to masses from the person on a tight budget to the people that spend tons. Carnival is smart. They know their biggest seller is being the lowest priced line. I know I sailed them because they hit the places I wanted but the biggest factor at the time was they were the best deal. That isn't a bad thing. I don't understand why people get so upset by people calling carnival the budget line. And as a budget line I would expect it to not be as formal or have the same amenities as a higher priced line. It's not any different then staying at a holiday inn vs the ritz. It would be stupid to expect the same experience at the holiday inn that I would get by paying more for the ritz.

I completely agree with you on your above statement [in red]. I have eaten fabulous foods from street vendors and hole-in-the-wall mom n' pop places around the world. Bangkok has a wonderful street-food scene and some of the best hand-pulled noodles I ever ate were in a tiny restaurant in Xi'an, China.

That said, this debate isn't so much about the food as it is about the decor. I know what I'm getting at a road-side stall and am paying accordingly...a $1 meal in China, no matter how fabulous, brings different expectations than a dinner on an ocean-going ship. Maybe I am overly sentimental for a 31 year old but there is a certain ambiance expected in the MDR of a ship...there are traditions that are a lovely part of my [and I'm quite sure many others'] vacations. Formal meal service is not for everyone and I agree that those people should also be catered to; the fact remains, though, that they ARE catered to with other dining options such as the lido eateries. If CCL strips all the formality and elegance from their nightly dinner service where does it leave their clients who enjoy such things? With competing lines?

As far as your Holiday Inn reference, I have to respectfully disagree a bit. Yes it is true that in general they are lower priced than a Ritz Carlton [assuming same locations and dates of travel] and generally offer a more casual atmosphere. However, they are now considered a mid-level hotel brand and have spent years trying to change their image away from road-side motel lodging [i.e. Motel 6] and more towards full-service hotels and resorts [i.e. Marriott]. In other words, they are trying to improve their image, not roll it backwards as CCL seems to be doing.

My first cruise was only in 2008 and was on the Carnival Fascination. Even as recently as then the waiter would clear your silverware after each course and scrape the crumbs from the table before dessert; things I have not seen since. Those who have been cruising far longer than I probably notice even more drastic changes. There is something nice about true formal meal service on a ship; it is tradition but also a chance to be served the way most of us are not in our every day lives.

I completely agree with you on your above statement [in red]. I have eaten fabulous foods from street vendors and hole-in-the-wall mom n' pop places around the world. Bangkok has a wonderful street-food scene and some of the best hand-pulled noodles I ever ate were in a tiny restaurant in Xi'an, China.

That said, this debate isn't so much about the food as it is about the decor. I know what I'm getting at a road-side stall and am paying accordingly...a $1 meal in China, no matter how fabulous, brings different expectations than a dinner on an ocean-going ship. Maybe I am overly sentimental for a 31 year old but there is a certain ambiance expected in the MDR of a ship...there are traditions that are a lovely part of my [and I'm quite sure many others'] vacations. Formal meal service is not for everyone and I agree that those people should also be catered to; the fact remains, though, that they ARE catered to with other dining options such as the lido eateries. If CCL strips all the formality and elegance from their nightly dinner service where does it leave their clients who enjoy such things? With competing lines?

As far as your Holiday Inn reference, I have to respectfully disagree a bit. Yes it is true that in general they are lower priced than a Ritz Carlton [assuming same locations and dates of travel] and generally offer a more casual atmosphere. However, they are now considered a mid-level hotel brand and have spent years trying to change their image away from road-side motel lodging [i.e. Motel 6] and more towards full-service hotels and resorts [i.e. Marriott]. In other words, they are trying to improve their image, not roll it backwards as CCL seems to be doing.

My first cruise was only in 2008 and was on the Carnival Fascination. Even as recently as then the waiter would clear your silverware after each course and scrape the crumbs from the table before dessert; things I have not seen since. Those who have been cruising far longer than I probably notice even more drastic changes. There is something nice about true formal meal service on a ship; it is tradition but also a chance to be served the way most of us are not in our every day lives.

So you know how the dining was when you were 6 in the dining room back 25 year ago?