Carnival Glory New Dining Photos

rockbock

I agree, looks like eating at my local steakhouse/pizza joint.

Perhaps this is step one to "don't bother to dress-up for the dining room, now you can come in your jammies or shorts to formal night!!!":rolleyes:

I am sorry I really don't mean this harsh. I like being able to wear what I want to ( I would never show up in a bathing suit). I paid for a vacation so no offence I like the freedom of making my vacation what I want it to be. So I like the option to dress up some jeans like I do at a local steak house. Plus my last 2 cruises the MDR service was so bad we didn't even go to the MDR past day 2 so I am hoping this will give them more time to actually give service to the guest. To me my high points of dinning are #1 food quality #2 is service #3 cleanliness and the rest I can deal with. As I said please take no offence.

Casual dining room on casual nights and elegant dining room on elegant nights. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Makes perfect sense to me! I can't believe some people are considering abandoning Carnival over not having tablecloths especially when it's only affecting casual nights. :eek:

Edited by babsee101

Anyone consider how these slick new tables will fare when the ship starts to rock and roll? They look very smooth, and when glasses get wet from sweating they will surely slide very easily. How much money will they lose from breakage to offset the savings? Anyone know if these are typical of local restaurants with the high gloss finish?

The seas would have to be pretty darn rough to do that much damage; but of course a table cloth would make little difference at that point.

Anyone know if these are typical of local restaurants with the high gloss finish?

I'm not sure what you mean by local. I think it's been established that the no tablecloth look is available at xyz chain restaurant, but it's also becoming more prominent in nicer NYC and Vegas restaurants and steakhouses--Tom Coliccio's restaurants come to mind. Apparently, the decision to use table cloths has been a hot topic in the NY foodie scene for a while.

Hummm...looks like Applebees.

Not too impressed, but I'll wait until we hear more before making a final judgement.

OP: Aside from the bare tables and new menu was anything else different? Service, presentation, etc...?

Was anything else a shared dish besides the calamari?

Thanks for posting and keeping us informed.

I will be sad if the soups are gone. To me, they are almost a part of Carnival as the WCMC, which is too rich for me. I guess I will see in person as we sail the Liberty in April.

Like the cold soups but as long as the new items are good that will be ok. change in food is ok.

Anyone consider how these slick new tables will fare when the ship starts to rock and roll? They look very smooth, and when glasses get wet from sweating they will surely slide very easily. How much money will they lose from breakage to offset the savings? Anyone know if these are typical of local restaurants with the high gloss finish?

Breakage is so common that it doesn't even get a notice from the staff. We were in the galley doing the Chef's Table, when there was a loud crash that sounded like a LOT of dishes/glassware breaking. Everybody in our party made an "Oh no" comment, and the chef said "Oh no, what?" He was so used to the sound of breaking glass he didn't even notice it.

The cost of commercial glassware and even dishes bought in bulk is pennies per glass. I don't think it would have any effect on costs, but it could get messy if things really start sliding.

Edited by 1313steve

I really don't understand why tableclothes vs no tableclothes affects one's dining experience. To us, the quality of food, and the quality of service are the important things, and until we have cruised, experiencing the new MDR for ourselves, we will reserve our judgement.

I think some here just need something to complain about... remember when the pillow chocolate rumor was such the "final straw deal breaker"?? :rolleyes:

I really don't understand why tableclothes vs no tableclothes affects one's dining experience. To us, the quality of food, and the quality of service are the important things, and until we have cruised, experiencing the new MDR for ourselves, we will reserve our judgement.

A nicely set table sets a mood. also will lack of tablecloth affect the noise level in the DR?

They seem to be taking a little bit of the special feeling away at a time . We miss the live music last time . Soon it will be like vacationing at the beach. I think if you want to eat casual then you always have other choices. Why take the choice away from the ones that want to feel like they are going to a nice restaurant . That has always been the nice part of cruising choices.

I will really miss the cold soups since I had one every night they were offered. Maybe they'll have them on lido at lunch. Will have to remember to check that out when we cruise on Liberty 1/18. I'm very happy that Liberty will be starting the new look/menu the week before we cruise.

A nicely set table sets a mood. also will lack of tablecloth affect the noise level in the DR?

But you can have a nicely set table without a tablecloth....I do it all the time at home.:) Not sure how much it would affect the noise level, IMO I don't think it will make that much difference, but again, will wait until we cruise with the new setup to determine.

Casual dining room on casual nights and elegant dining room on elegant nights. Why is that so hard for people to understand?

Not liking nor agreeing with a decision is completely different from not understanding it.

They seem to be taking a little bit of the special feeling away at a time . We miss the live music last time . Soon it will be like vacationing at the beach. I think if you want to eat casual then you always have other choices. Why take the choice away from the ones that want to feel like they are going to a nice restaurant . That has always been the nice part of cruising choices.

I agree completely. There are already "casual" eating venues such as the lido restaurants. I have always thought a proper dinner with great service, food and friends is one of the highlights of ocean travel. Dinner on a ship is an event, not just a time to stuff your stomach. For those that don't like the idea of dinner being an event, they have the option of the lido buffets. Why would CCL want to take the fine dining experience and throw it out the window for yet another pedestrian approach to mealtimes. Tablecloths in themselves are not the issue; the issue is CCL sucking every bit of class they can out of a space to make it no more special than a family-style restaurant one may find in any suburban town throughout the USA. There ARE fine-dining venues that lack tablecloths but the Glory's MDR does not appear to be one of them.

As far as another poster's comment of "there is always Cunard" I must say that I cannot wait to sail on one of Cunard's grande queens. I am anxiously planning for a TA on QM2 for sometime in 2015 and look forward to the more formal experience. That said, I do not expect that level of formality on a Carnival ship but it does not mean it should be thrown to the wind altogether.

I hate when people say "if you don't want to dress up go eat at the buffet". My family does not like to eat dinner at the buffet. We HATE to dress up. I wear nice shorts in the MDR on casual nights. On dress up night I wear nice new dark jeans and a polo. That is how I am comfortable. We like eating in the MDR. We don't want buffet food for dinner.

We are very well off. We can afford any cruise line. We stick with NCL and Carnival because of the dress code. Every time I stray and look at Cunard or Princess my wife reminds me about the dress code. I say oh yeah.

We eat dinner at many 5 star restaurants. Many of them do not have table cloths. Our favorite is Morton's Steakhouse. We eat their weekly. Normally I wear jeans but sometimes nice shorts. Some people dress up. Whatever they want it doesnt affect my experience whatsoever. I am a very good tipper and the staff are always happy to see me. They not care what I wear.

I guess I'm just a low class kind of guy. :)

Edited by rhinomike

I am SO tired of all of the whining. If tablecloths are going to determine whether or not you are going to have a good time, then for goodness sake go on a different cruise line. No one is forcing you to go on Carnival.

I think the new menus look modern and will be a nice change. Fine dining land based restaurants all across America have gone more casual. It's a trend and Carnival is trying to keep their ships up with the trend.

Or, you could say it is because carnival is too cheap to wash tablecloths. Whatever.

I come to Cruise Critic for reviews of cruises, tips for cruising, itineraries, etc. I've learned so much that has helped make my cruises more enjoyable. But recently, the main thing I have learned is that some people can't be satisfied.

Even IF Carnival is doing this for cost cutting--if no tablecloths saves me money on a cruise, then YIPEE! I don't mind fewer performers, recorded music instead of bands, etc., if it means I can afford to cruise with my family. I am more interested in the QUALITY of the food, the attitudes of the crew, the cleanliness of the boat, and being able to see the ocean from my deck chair.

I am excited to try the new menus and experience the changes. If you want something different, I'm sure you can find a cruise line to accommodate you. And go whine on THEIR message board.

I hate when people say "if you don't want to dress up go eat at the buffet".

There will always be self-appointed fashion police. Luckily they have no authority. Ignore them and let them grouse amongst themselves.

For those who need props to set the mood, bring your own. But what you really need is an attitude adjustment. I think Walmart might have a special on them now. If you want an illusion, fine, just don't expect everyone else to play a role in your illusion.

For those who want a cruise line choreographed illusion, there are cruise lines willing to sell you overpriced illusions.

Too noisy? Too unsanitary? Paper plates and plastic utensils will address that just fine. Be careful what you ask for. :p:D