Carnival Glory New Dining Photos

rockbock

Ummm....2008 was 5 years ago, not 25 years ago. And yes I can remember my dining room experience from when I was 26 quite well.

sorry but I was on the Spirit in 2003 panama 14 days . and not one time they remove the crumbs from the table. the last time that they removed crumbs was back in 1996. I think you might be thinking what it was like, what you heard from here on the CC .

sorry but I was on the Spirit in 2003 panama 14 days . and not one time they remove the crumbs from the table. the last time that they removed crumbs was back in 1996. I think you might be thinking what it was like, what you heard from here on the CC .

I have never been on the Spirit so I cannot disagree with your memory. However, I do remember my experience quite well and crumbs were indeed brushed and silverware was indeed switched out by course. Often times people forget details that they themselves find unimportant.

I have never been on the Spirit so I cannot disagree with your memory. However, I do remember my experience quite well and crumbs were indeed brushed and silverware was indeed switched out by course. Often times people forget details that they themselves find unimportant.

You could be amazed what a waiter would do for a good looking 26 y old. So you could be right

You could be amazed what a waiter would do for a good looking 26 y old. So you could be right

HAHA. Ok, I can at least appreciate that you have a sense of humour even if I don't agree with your aesthetics. :D

Unfortunately, my looks are fairly average so I doubt that was the case.

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread about this. Some of the best food comes from places that use plastic silverware and paper napkins. A fancy place setting does not mean quality. I would much rather have good food with a relaxed setting then crappy food in a formal setting.

People can't seem to grasp that carnival, ncl and royal all cater to masses from the person on a tight budget to the people that spend tons. Carnival is smart. They know their biggest seller is being the lowest priced line. I know I sailed them because they hit the places I wanted but the biggest factor at the time was they were the best deal. That isn't a bad thing. I don't understand why people get so upset by people calling carnival the budget line. And as a budget line I would expect it to not be as formal or have the same amenities as a higher priced line. It's not any different then staying at a holiday inn vs the ritz. It would be stupid to expect the same experience at the holiday inn that I would get by paying more for the ritz.

What I quoted in red is very true....

But the best food does not come from places that use paper/plastic. That's as false as it gets.

It's a matter of taste or what appeals to you but I seldom use paper/plastic at home. Even when we are BBQ-ing, I set a table. The only time I don't use real plates and flatwear is if I am having a casual BBQ or party for a lot of people. Under 10, we're eating on real dishes. I would think that CCL is not going to start using paper/plastic, though if they did I think people would still defend it somehow....

As for the lack of tablecloths, I imagine it will just take getting used to but like I said on the thread that seems to have been pulled, the issue might be spills. Land restaurants don't move. If you have messy kids, or are just accident prone and you spill something on those high glossed tables, you're wearing it. There's nothing to catch/absorb.

I hate when people say "if you don't want to dress up go eat at the buffet". My family does not like to eat dinner at the buffet. We HATE to dress up. I wear nice shorts in the MDR on casual nights. On dress up night I wear nice new dark jeans and a polo. That is how I am comfortable. We like eating in the MDR. We don't want buffet food for dinner.

We are very well off. We can afford any cruise line. We stick with NCL and Carnival because of the dress code. Every time I stray and look at Cunard or Princess my wife reminds me about the dress code. I say oh yeah.

We eat dinner at many 5 star restaurants. Many of them do not have table cloths. Our favorite is Morton's Steakhouse. We eat their weekly. Normally I wear jeans but sometimes nice shorts. Some people dress up. Whatever they want it doesnt affect my experience whatsoever. I am a very good tipper and the staff are always happy to see me. They not care what I wear.

I guess I'm just a low class kind of guy. :)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I could not of said it better myself;)

Further back they did. At least on our first cruise on the Celebration in 96. Always thought it was over the top.

Someone is going to be around to say that the water carafes are germy in 3....2.....1.....

I've NEVER seen so many people worried about germs before.

I've always been careful about germs, so I am one of those that doesn't want to handle the water carafe, bread basket or communal appetizer. That's why I don't eat in the buffet. I've seen too many people rub their nose, eyes or ears. Run their hands through their hair and even lick their fingers..disgusting table manners.

I have had them remove crumbs as recently as 2007 when I was on the Freedom. And on almost every cruise I go on I've had them provide extra flatwear when needed, especially for dessert.

For all who are whining about fine dining and tablecloths, take a look at the very very high end steak house in nyc. Would you call this elegant?

Peter-Luger.jpg

Looks like Peter Luger Steak House to me, certainly one of the top, if not top steak houses in NYC. Some others top restaurants that have dropped the table clothes include Girl & The Goat in Chicago and Saison in San Francisco. Table clothes or no table clothes argument has been going on for sometime in the industry. Preference is just a matter of opinion.

Probably too many Platinums are still abusing the laundry privilege.

There hasn't been a formal night on Carnival in years, however, I do believe they will bring out the tablecloths for elegant night.

I'm not sure what you mean by platinum abusing the laundry privilege. I have 18 Carnival cruises under my belt and have never sent my clothes to be laundered. My husband on the other hand utilizes only 1 or 2 of the 3 bags he is alotted. Just because we use it does that mean we are abusing the privilege?

I've always been careful about germs, so I am one of those that doesn't want to handle the water carafe, bread basket or communal appetizer. That's why I don't eat in the buffet. I've seen too many people rub their nose, eyes or ears. Run their hands through their hair and even lick their fingers..disgusting table manners.

I have had them remove crumbs as recently as 2007 when I was on the Freedom. And on almost every cruise I go on I've had them provide extra flatwear when needed, especially for dessert.

Two months ago on the Liberty in anytime dining they removed crumbs once or twice at every dinner.

First time we saw that in many years. We were cruising with two other couples and were in no hurry to get thru dinner and that might have had something to do with it.

What I quoted in red is very true....

But the best food does not come from places that use paper/plastic. That's as false as it gets.

It's a matter of taste or what appeals to you but I seldom use paper/plastic at home. Even when we are BBQ-ing, I set a table. The only time I don't use real plates and flatwear is if I am having a casual BBQ or party for a lot of people. Under 10, we're eating on real dishes. I would think that CCL is not going to start using paper/plastic, though if they did I think people would still defend it somehow....

As for the lack of tablecloths, I imagine it will just take getting used to but like I said on the thread that seems to have been pulled, the issue might be spills. Land restaurants don't move. If you have messy kids, or are just accident prone and you spill something on those high glossed tables, you're wearing it. There's nothing to catch/absorb.

The voice or reason. Good post.

Regardless of MDR appearance, if table service not improved from present 3 person teams, nothing will improve IMHO.:(

Now you know the real reason for the changes. If you are pouring your own water, are serving yourself family style, and have less silverware/dishes to clear they can keep the dining room understaffed while touting it as a wonderful change.

There will always be self-appointed fashion police. Luckily they have no authority. Ignore them and let them grouse amongst themselves.

For those who need props to set the mood, bring your own. But what you really need is an attitude adjustment. I think Walmart might have a special on them now. If you want an illusion, fine, just don't expect everyone else to play a role in your illusion.

For those who want a cruise line choreographed illusion, there are cruise lines willing to sell you overpriced illusions.

Too noisy? Too unsanitary? Paper plates and plastic utensils will address that just fine. Be careful what you ask for. :p:D

Very well said!! Those of us who go on Carnival know what we're getting and we love it. If you want elegance, go to Cunard. Otherwise, deal with the fact that not everyone wants to dress to the nines to eat dinner.

I will never understand people who let what people wear bother them. I agree that on formal (or casual dressy) nights, people should dress appropriately - that's your night folks. The other nights are casual - you can get all dolled up if you want and I don't think anyone will complain, but you don't get every night. If you want to be around people who are dressed more to your standards, how about you go to the the steakhouse on casual nights and leave the MDR to the rest of us?

It's been years since i have had multiple place settings of silverware.

One fork, one knife, one spoon. In years gone by there used to be multiples.

I still put my fork on the plate when done eating a course and the waiter takes it off and puts it back on the table.

That's not my idea of fine dining, but I am quite fine with that.:)

Bill

Hey everyone - this is the OP. We are almost back in port and I just wanted to let all of you know my final opinions on the new dining. I tried very, very hard to keep an open mind about these changes, but I'm just not happy with them. I really like the looks of the dining room, on both casual and formal nights. I believe the food presentation is more upscale than before. The quality and taste of the food is top notch.

BUT...the menu options are severely limited, especially for dessert. The elegant night menu and presentation are both a complete disaster. If you are a "foodie," you might like the new elegant night. However, most people that I spoke to on the ship had VERY strong negative feelings about it.

I promise to write a thorough review on the new dining, but it probably won't be for another day or two.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Hey everyone - this is the OP. We are almost back in port and I just wanted to let all of you know my final opinions on the new dining. I tried very, very hard to keep an open mind about these changes, but I'm just not happy with them. I really like the looks of the dining room, on both casual and formal nights. I believe the food presentation is more upscale than before. The quality and taste of the food is top notch.

BUT...the menu options are severely limited, especially for dessert. The elegant night menu and presentation are both a complete disaster. If you are a "foodie," you might like the new elegant night. However, most people that I spoke to on the ship had VERY strong negative feelings about it.

I promise to write a thorough review on the new dining, but it probably won't be for another day or two.

Looking forward to hearing some more about the new dining menu/experience from you.

I'm on the Glory and I love the way that the tables look! No tablecloths? NO PROBLEM!

[ATTACH]295074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295079[/ATTACH][ATTACH]295080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295082[/ATTACH]

I hope you don't mind if I share some of these photos! These are great! Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm on the Glory and I love the way that the tables look! No tablecloths? NO PROBLEM!

[ATTACH]295074[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295078[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295079[/ATTACH][ATTACH]295080[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]295082[/ATTACH]

Yup, looks just like Applebee's!!

No, not that I'm aware. I think maybe we'll get a different post-cruise survey than the normal one.

I offered feedback on the first night and it was greatly appreciated. I was even given a free bottle of wine for offering feedback. Unfortunately, my opinion of the dining went downhill after the first night. After three nights, I gave up on it and ate on Lido for the rest of the trip. I am not a picky eater, but I'm obviously too picky for the new dining.

Hummm...looks like Applebees.

Not too impressed, but I'll wait until we hear more before making a final judgement.

OP: Aside from the bare tables and new menu was anything else different? Service, presentation, etc...?

Was anything else a shared dish besides the calamari?

Thanks for posting and keeping us informed.

You cant get 2 meals and a couple of drinks at Applebees for $40 but you can cruise carnival for $40 a day ;)

Hi

Maybe you can get Carnival for $40 a nite but I pay more like $100 since I cruise solo so I expect the choices and quality of food to be good and these new menu choices seem to be severely lacking.

I do not eat seafood except some shellfish, don't eat duck, or chicken (I can have that at home as often as I like) but still had many choices on the old menus. Now from seeing some of the selections it looks like it will cost me quite a bit more since the steakhouse or the cucina will be my go to for food on the Carnival ships that have these venues.

Hopefully it will not reach the Sunshine before the repositioning to Pt. Canaveral since that is the last cruise I have booked and may be the last if upon reviewing all the menus I cannot find something that I truly like five out of the seven days I usually cruise.

I admit I do have a sweet tooth but the desserts that have been mentioned so far leave a lot to be desired. Luckily my last cruise on the Legend in November I mentioned to the hostess that I missed my favorite crème brule since I went to the steakhouse that night and it was offered to me every other nite I was in the MDR! Now not even crème brule in the MDR so I guess I will either loose some weight or go to the coffee bar and get a piece of carrot cake. ( I have been known to get up after seeing the dessert menu going to get it and coming back and sit down to enjoy my dessert)

Hopefully the feedback to Carnival will support having a few more entrée and dessert choices.

pat

murrells inlet, sc