Sydney Shuttles from the airport

We are flying into Sydney from Cairns, presumably to the internal terminal at 15.15 on a Wednesday afternoon.

What is the best and most economical way of getting downtown? We are staying at the Castlereagh Hotel.

Thanks in anticipation........

The cheapest and quickest is by train. There is a station at both the domestic and international terminals. You are correct when you presume that you will arrive at the internal (domestic) terminal. Cost one way is $15.90 for an adult. Here is a link for more info, http://www.airportlink.com.au/index.php

Having done the shuttle bus and the train, I vote for the shuttle bus. There is a desk at the domestic terminal for ticket sales and the bus is not far from there. You can also buy your return trip (which is cheaper than buying your ticket one way). You are picked up door to door or ship to ship. Yes, it does stop along the way to let passengers off, but so does the train and you probably have to lug your bags a longer distance from the train. You can also buy your shuttle tickets on line but I can't be bothered thinking that far ahead after I have booked a cruise, flights and may-be even accommodation.

I would either go by shuttle or taxi. I wouldn't be bothered carrying luggage up and down stairs and fitting it into a train with everyone else and their luggage. A taxi to the city would be around $45. You would be taken right to the door of your hotel and I think it is worth the extra for the convenience and absolutely no waiting. The taxi rank is directly outside the Domestic Terminal and we haven't ever had to wait in a queue even on cruiseship days.

I think they are coming in the day before they sail, so the will be no shuttles as yet. Taxi or if the queues are long, the train will be my options.:D

There will no cruise line shuttles if it is the day before they sail but there is a shuttle service to the city which operates every day KST is one of them.

There will no cruise line shuttles if it is the day before they sail but there is a shuttle service to the city which operates every day KST is one of them.

Thanks for clarifying. I still think it really depends on where the hotel is and how much luggage they have. The train is handy but taxis are easier.:D

Does anyone know if Sydney taxis have a luggage limitation or an extra charge for excess luggage? We are going to arrive in Sydney to start a long trip so will likely have 3-4 large suitcases, two small suitcases and two backpacks. I am assuming that there will be larger cars or vans that can fit all this but not sure if there is a policy about how much luggage they will take.

Edited by eel

Does anyone know if Sydney taxis have a luggage limitation or an extra charge for excess luggage? We are going to arrive in Sydney to start a long trip so will likely have 3-4 large suitcases, two small suitcases and two backpacks. I am assuming that there will be larger cars or vans that can fit all this but not sure if there is a policy about how much luggage they will take.

You won't have a problem. The taxi ranks all have a 'marshall' allocating taxis. Just indicate that you would need a wagon, or maybe an 8-seat people-mover (van) not a sedan because you have several suitcases. We have done that in the past. A difficulty with taxi sedans is that the boot (do you call it trunk?) often has an LPG cylinder permanently fitted, leaving less space for luggage.

There isn't any extra charge for more luggage, but maybe you could 'round up' the taxi fare (example round up $46 to $50). You probably already know that in Australia tips are not expected, but 'rounding up' is fair on the driver if you have a lot of luggage.:)

You won't have a problem. The taxi ranks all have a 'marshall' allocating taxis. Just indicate that you would need a wagon, or maybe an 8-seat people-mover (van) not a sedan because you have several suitcases. We have done that in the past. A difficulty with taxi sedans is that the boot (do you call it trunk?) often has an LPG cylinder permanently fitted, leaving less space for luggage.

There isn't any extra charge for more luggage, but maybe you could 'round up' the taxi fare (example round up $46 to $50). You probably already know that in Australia tips are not expected, but 'rounding up' is fair on the driver if you have a lot of luggage.:)

Agree with this, a nice round up would be appropriate especially if they are also handling all the luggage in and out of the vehicle.:D

We arrived at Sydney airport last December as a family of four with lots of luggage. We just got a larger taxi, wasn't a problem. So yes you can fit it all into 1 vehicle, and as stated previously the Marshalls will direct you to the right taxis. How many people are there? It cost us approximately $45 to the Sydney Harbour Marriott.

After using a shuttle and taxi, I would highly recommend the taxi. Much quicker. And as a family works out about the same.

We arrived at Sydney airport last December as a family of four with lots of luggage. We just got a larger taxi, wasn't a problem. So yes you can fit it all into 1 vehicle, and as stated previously the Marshalls will direct you to the right taxis. How many people are there? It cost us approximately $45 to the Sydney Harbour Marriott.

After using a shuttle and taxi, I would highly recommend the taxi. Much quicker. And as a family works out about the same.

Most likely much cheaper and easier in the taxi, as against the train or shuttle.:D

Most likely much cheaper and easier in the taxi, as against the train or shuttle.:D

I wouldn't consider going by train. The two of us can manage our cases plus hand luggage without using a luggage trolley, but I don't want to try to go up/down stairs and on & off a train.

A comparison of taxi cost with shuttle cost - From the airport to White Bay by Princess shuttle costs $29 pp. A taxi costs $55 so it is cheaper for two people to go by taxi. This is only a small saving, but it is much more convenient. If there are more people, the saving is even more. The main advantage of going by taxi is the time factor - no waiting (or maybe a couple of minutes). When going by shuttle from the airport to ship, we have usually had to wait quite a while (around 30 minutes with the cruiseline shuttle to around an hour and a half with KST).

Edited by Aus Traveller

I wouldn't consider going by train. The two of us can manage our cases plus hand luggage without using a luggage trolley, but I don't want to try to go up/down stairs and on & off a train.

A comparison of taxi cost with shuttle cost - From the airport to White Bay by Princess shuttle costs $29 pp. A taxi costs $55 so it is cheaper for two people to go by taxi. This is only a small saving, but it is much more convenient. If there are more people, the saving is even more. The main advantage of going by taxi is the time factor - no waiting (or maybe a couple of minutes). When going by shuttle from the airport to ship, we have usually had to wait quite a while (around 30 minutes with the cruiseline shuttle to around an hour and a half with KST).

The OP is not going to the ship but to a hotel as they are two days early.:D

The OP is not going to the ship but to a hotel as they are two days early.:D

Thanks. I mentioned the relevant prices because it might help someone else. :) With the OP going to a hotel, I still believe a taxi would be best. The shuttles go on a round-about route to a whole lot of hotels and it can take an hour or more even after leaving the airport.

Thanks. I mentioned the relevant prices because it might help someone else. :) With the OP going to a hotel, I still believe a taxi would be best. The shuttles go on a round-about route to a whole lot of hotels and it can take an hour or more even after leaving the airport.

Righto.:D

When luggage or (more than two people) is involved the taxis are the best option, then the shuttles and then the trains. If less than two or less people or no luggage the train is best.:D

We are flying into Sydney from Cairns, presumably to the internal terminal at 15.15 on a Wednesday afternoon.

What is the best and most economical way of getting downtown? We are staying at the Castlereagh Hotel.

Thanks in anticipation........

If you are travelling light, then I would take the train, getting off at St James Station and walking 50 metres down Market St then left into Castlereagh st to the hotel which is located opposite the Castlereagh entrance into the Great Synagogue.

However, seems you have some luggage and prefer not to take train, in which case I would take a taxi. At your arrival time you should be on your way by 1545 and worst case should have you at hotel by 1630 and hopefully before the worst of the traffic.

Castlereagh st is one way from north to south so the driver will have to circumnavigate the northern end of Hyde Park past St Mary's Cathedral in order to enter Market St thence Castlereagh. This is assuming he will use the M1 from the airport and exit using the William St exit. Quite a nice drive actually.