HAL Amsterdam in drydock

triptolemus

I was in San Francisco this morning and spotted the Amsterdam in dry dock and snapped a couple pictures with my phone and thought I would share here.

All of her lifeboats were removed and were sitting in a dry berth adjacent and to the port side / aft of the ship. I could not get any closer to see what may be going on. The sun was unforgiving - did the best I could to grab a shot or two.

Anyway - for you Amsterdam fans - here she is as of 9:30 AM this morning... I will be over there again later this week toward mid-day and if possible, I will grab some better shots of her.

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

triptolemus,

Thanks for posting the photos.I was hoping somebody would. We will board her next Wednesday for the holiday cruise and are looking forward to seeing what was done (if there is anything visible like soft goods etc.) Love the Amsterdam!! Barbara

Let us know how she looks.

Two of the areas being worked on during this Dry Dock are new laundry equipment and redo of the cabin interiors on the two lowest passenger decks. I am sure there will be more done, but these were being started as we disembarked in Long Beach on 12/4. Our dinner table was told by an officer about these two projects and he said many more things were going to be done. Being dry dock I would expect that the hull, particularly below the water line, will be worked on as well. The dark red area (waterline and below) needs cleaning.

As we got off in Long Beach many, many contract workers were getting onboard to sail on the ship to San Francisco and start their work at sea. On our cruise contract workers were rewiring in the ceilings of many passenger decks. We were told it was in part in preparation for "improvements" in the internet capabilities and updated hardware and software. I will be interested to see if any change is noticed on the World Cruise by the many folks who were on the Asia/Pacific cruise this fall and are going on the World as well.

Two of the areas being worked on during this Dry Dock are new laundry equipment and redo of the cabin interiors on the two lowest passenger decks. I am sure there will be more done, but these were being started as we disembarked in Long Beach on 12/4. Our dinner table was told by an officer about these two projects and he said many more things were going to be done. Being dry dock I would expect that the hull, particularly below the water line, will be worked on as well. The dark red area (waterline and below) needs cleaning.

As we got off in Long Beach many, many contract workers were getting onboard to sail on the ship to San Francisco and start their work at sea. On our cruise contract workers were rewiring in the ceilings of many passenger decks. We were told it was in part in preparation for "improvements" in the internet capabilities and updated hardware and software. I will be interested to see if any change is noticed on the World Cruise by the many folks who were on the Asia/Pacific cruise this fall and are going on the World as well.

We'll be stepping into our Main deck cabin next Wednesday, so I'm delighted to know it may be refurbished! Thanks for the info. I'll report on it in January when we get back.

My husband is working on the Amsterdam dry dock, I have one picture of her 'bum' but not much else, sorry!

He was one of the contractors who boarded in Long Beach last week.

I'll try and get him to send some more pictures through if he can :)

Does anyone know if the update on the lower passenger decks involves changing the hair dryer to a handheld electric model?

Currently my sweetheart brings her own because the one in the bathroom burns her hand.

Thanks, we are packing now for the WC.

Does anyone know if the update on the lower passenger decks involves changing the hair dryer to a handheld electric model?

Currently my sweetheart brings her own because the one in the bathroom burns her hand.

Thanks, we are packing now for the WC.

We just left the Amsterdam on 12/4. There was still a dryer in the bathroom, as well as a hand held in the desk drawer. I hope they remove the bathroom dryers. Looking forward to learning what was done during dry dock.

I hope they remove the bathroom dryers.

I hope they don't, but expect they will. :(

The wall-mounted hair dryer is almost worthless for drying hair, but it will clean the steam off the mirror. More importantly, it has an electric outlet in it, which works very well keeping an electric toothbrush charged.

When the wall-mounted dryers were removed from the other ships, the new light fixture is placed at the ceiling, and that's where the outlet is. Totally worthless!

...When the wall-mounted dryers were removed from the other ships, the new light fixture is placed at the ceiling, and that's where the outlet is. Totally worthless!

I have found that a three or five foot extension chord is all that is needed for convenience.

Scott & Karen

Just asked the husband about the hair dryers in the bathrooms and he's not noticed them being removed, he's seen new vanity units moving about around the ship but no idea where they are going.

It's having azipods retro-fitted though :)

IMG_1015_zps9ba47966.jpg