15 hour flight

magwun

We went to Kruger National Park and stayed at Ullasaba Lodge. It was April and it was just beautiful. No extreme heat, no flies or bugs.

We did go to London first for two days. It was a good break.

When we came back we stayed in New York for three days.

It is a long, long trip

Right now it is summer and can be cool in the mornings and warm up quickly and this also depends where in South Africa they will be. We were in Botswana and Joburg. The Singita Lodges are the best and have AC if you need it. I would say July and August their winter is the best time for comfort and game viewing.

Your friends will Absolutly love it. We have used Micato and Wilderness and both are top notch outfitters. Everything is all inclusive with them and first class.

Carol is right,it is a long jaunt there but all so worth it. If your friends need more information they can e-male me malewstew@aol.com and my name is Miles.

Disclaimer: I am not a TA nor do I promote one. Just friendly advice about this beautiful continent.

We went to Kruger National Park and stayed at Ullasaba Lodge. It was April and it was just beautiful. No extreme heat, no flies or bugs.

We did go to London first for two days. It was a good break.

When we came back we stayed in New York for three days.

It is a long, long trip

Carol, Kruger is wonderful.....I agree.

This was our fourth trip to Africa without staying somewhere for a few days. Never again.

I would recommend a short stay in London, Paris or Zurich. Zurich is wonderful to catch your breath and Swiss Air is a great airline.

Are your friends going on Safari? We love Africa and I am sure they will as well.

"SwissAir" - was a great airline but has not flown since 2001, sadly!! But since I am about to take Swiss (full name: Swiss International Air Lines) from ZRH to MIA I am delighted to read your positive comment.

In years past (when I was working) I had a lot of very long flights. And I coped by having a project to work on for each flight which would take a few hours of my time. then eating. and finally taking a very light sleeping pill. However on one memorable occasion I had to fly from Cairns to Brisbane to Sydney to LA to New York in one day. For the following week I had no idea which continent I was on!!

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get the Ambien, Unisom of Advil PM?

Are these 'over the counter' or 'prescription' drugs?

I'm asking as sleeping pills are prescription drugs in the Netherlands and doctors will not give you any to help you sleep in a plane. The attitude is that you just have to deal with it.

If they would be OTC I could get some in the US, which is when we need it for flying back to Europe.

Ambien is prescription; the others are OTC (they're anti-histamines, if I'm not mistaken, like benadryl, also helpful to some).

I've never been able to sleep on a plane, even in business, even with sleeping pills. But I'm an insomniac. Many people have great luck with a simple benadryl-like pill. And especially if you're not used to using sleep aid, it should work fine. (Ambien stopped working for me years ago, but usually works great for newbies.)

Wishing you pleasant dreams.

Advil PM is just ibuprofen plus Benadryl. Helpful if one has arthritis pains which inhibit sleeping. It and Benadryl which is an antihistamine used for allergies, but also makes one sleepy, are over the counter in the US as is unisom. Ambien is prescription and now pretty regulated as some people have weird side effects, like going out driving while asleep. Ambien definitely should not be taken with alcohol as that combination is particularly dangerous.

Rachel, Ambien is perfectly OK to take on a flight because I'm sure the pilot wouldn't let you "drive" the plane, even if you wanted to. :-)

Yes, but we wouldn't want to see anyone trying to open the door to step out to the car! ;)