First time cruiser with an obstructed view..

kanadakid

Hello - I was very excited to book my first ever cruise last week, joined CC and came to realize that the cabin I have booked (Carnival Freedom - Cat 6B OV -2446) has an obstructed view. (The machine that washes the windows on board is stored there when not in use). The lady with whom I spoke suggested I pay an extra few dollars to select my own cabin rather than having one assigned to me, so I did, then she suggested this one. The other option was one nearer the aft of the ship with a view that was looking slightly backward. I suggested to her that I would prefer a view straight out to sea - didn't know I would have to look through a bunch of machinery. Can I call and request a change to this? If so, is there a map on Carnival's website perhaps that I could scout out something suitable? Also I noted that I am on the main deck. Can I request a room on a higher deck or is that a function of cost, and not merely a choice? Finally, I booked the cruise as I am travelling solo and it had $0 single supplement attached. I am assuming that this means I have my own cabin and do not have to pay any extra fee to occupy the space alone. Just want to ensure that I am not going to check in and find I am sharing with a small family. Lol Can any of you wise travellers please advise me as to how to proceed? - Newbie in North Bay. :)

We always get a Obstructed view. The ones we get are on the front of the ship. They have more square footage. And we like that we can walk 10 to 15 feet and be out on the front deck. We also try to get a top deck again a short walk and we are near a lot of the action, pool, food, and seeing both sides of the ship. for a small fee you can go to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com and see the view out your window or another window. The first time I used it, it was free. or use it from different computers. BOB

"Obstructed view" cabins are often not as bad as they sound. ;)

If you got this cabin at a good price, I'd just go with it.

It's your first cruise, you'll probably be wowed by everything else.

Bear in mind this is not real estate you're buying into, for life

you're renting for one short week of your life.

You'll see just how short the week is, on the last night

wondering where the heck that bluuur went to.

Some people don't spend very much time in their cabin so the view doesn't matter.

You might consider posting your question on the Carnival board. There may be someone there who had a similar experience who can advise you.

Here is a link to that board

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

Good luck and happy sailing!

In the no single supplement promotion you do indeed get a cabin to yourself.

6B cabins are only on decks 1 and 2 on Freedom. To move to a higher deck would be to a higher category (unless you were to pick an interior). Your no single supplement deal might have only been good for certain categories and be useless if you moved to a higher level.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your great advice on this issue. I feel better already, and likely won't be in cabin so much. Guess I will scope things out and learn as I go, and perhaps do something different next time! Cheers!

I was very excited to book my first ever cruise last week, joined CC and came to realize that the cabin I have booked (Carnival Freedom - Cat 6B OV -2446) has an obstructed view.

It's your first cruise, will it really matter?

I suggested to her that I would prefer a view straight out to sea - didn't know I would have to look through a bunch of machinery. Can I call and request a change to this?

Yes

If so, is there a map on Carnival's website perhaps that I could scout out something suitable?

There are deck plans posted on their website as well as all over Google. There are also sites such as cruise linerooms which have floor plans and photos of the exact cabin you are looking at.

Can I request a room on a higher deck or is that a function of cost, and not merely a choice?

Yes, this is sometimes considered an upgrade and will have a greater cost. It depends on several factors however.

I am assuming that this means I have my own cabin and do not have to pay any extra fee to occupy the space alone.

That's correct, that is part of a deal Carnival has been running lately. Lucky you!

Can any of you wise travellers please advise me as to how to proceed? You're going to have a great trip, with or without a window washer ;)

Edited by Lerin

No single supplement is a whole bigger PLUS than the obstruction is a MINUS.

This is the sort of thing you are apt to have in your view, although all of these seem to be obstructed balcony instead of OV. I saw a pic of an OV from inside with window washing scaffolding "obstruction" and it was not bad! (I couldn't find it again...) Way less than people knowingly book with Deck 4 lifeboat blockage.

Celebrity window washing equipment

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t87/cans20772/June%202010%20Solstice/P6150030.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x267/Shipsbelle/6Windowwasher1554.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x267/Shipsbelle/1554-1.jpg

Royal Caribbean

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/subtchr/Southern%20Caribbean%20Cruise%20December%202010/Antigua%20Day%204/d00ee12e.jpg

Edited by crystalspin