Relieved to be cruising with RCI for first time after reading this

Not sure if everyone saw CNN today with the investigative piece on the continuing woes of Carnival. It is stories like this that will drive cruisers to other companies like RCI.

This story was posted on CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/17/travel/carnival-cruise-triumph-problems/index.html?iref=allsearch

Seems there were more problems than the public knew. I am sure all cruise companies have skeletons in their closets, but I feel more relieved I am trying out RCI especially after reading this. I would expect more customer drain from them after this.

On a positive note to others, I did my final payment for our March cruise on AOS out of San Juan today. Even got our desired Early Sitting for MDR. The stories of long waits at My Time Dining didn't sit well, so I am relieved about getting the first sitting. THe travel agent we used at CAA told us dining can free up during the lead up to the final payment date and she was right o the money on that!

FWIW

Nope not "ignorance is bliss" I hear you, but going into the whole affair, Carnival has had too many issues lately that seem more than coincidence. From a business perspective, they can fix their problems, (remember that CNN mentioned their engineering problems relating to the fires and generator issues are "fleet wide". Now maybe if RCI has a spat of similar problems...yes, I heard of the issues with the fire on Grandeur, etc. but RCI has seemed to have had less problems lately that didn't make their ships completely dead in the water. I know, there are always risks...I guess we can all hope they don't mushroom into fleetwide disasters.

FWIW

Thanks Norbertsniece,

I saw another thread or two about My TIme DIning fiascos, and just feel more comfortable with something traditional, especially since the ship we will be in will be sailing during most evening meals.

Enjoyed reading your posts on your cruises.

The last two paragraphs alone will stop me from ever stepping foot on a Carnival cruise ship....

"The company also points out to the passengers suing to read the fine print on their tickets, which says the cruise line never promised a safe trip.

Carnival's court filing says the contract that passengers agree to when they buy a ticket "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions.""

Thanks Norbertsniece,

I saw another thread or two about My TIme DIning fiascos, and just feel more comfortable with something traditional, especially since the ship we will be in will be sailing during most evening meals.

Enjoyed reading your posts on your cruises.

Aside from one thread which claimed to have experienced a two hour delay in being seated in My Time Dining, I don't recall any others and on that one thread there were a significant number of responses which indicated that lengthy waits in My Time Dining were virtually non-existent. Nothing wrong with choosing traditional dining but to claim that My Time Dining is replete with fiascos is simply not true and not supported by the evidence.

The last two paragraphs alone will stop me from ever stepping foot on a Carnival cruise ship....

"The company also points out to the passengers suing to read the fine print on their tickets, which says the cruise line never promised a safe trip.

Carnival's court filing says the contract that passengers agree to when they buy a ticket "makes absolutely no guarantee for safe passage, a seaworthy vessel, adequate and wholesome food, and sanitary and safe living conditions.""

Neither does the Royal Caribbean ticket contract. Actually, if you read both contracts, they are strikingly similar.

I also saw that piece on CNN and I agree the Carnival rep was not very artful in what he said, but their contract clearly addresses terms of liability and procedures for filing lawsuits in the event they are negligent.

Here's RCL's contract:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/cruise_ticket_contract_3.28.11.pdf

And here's the Carnival Contract:

http://www.namadr.com/documents/Carnival_Ticket_Contract.pdf

Are both of these current and accurate? I don't see that "guarantee safe passage" statement on the Carnival contract

Check out this current thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1957005&page=2

Gonzo70 posted this in post#33

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=10100231&highlight=seaworthy#post10100231

Wow! This was from May 2007 and RCL in fact did have this same language some time ago it looks like :(.

I agree, that was the most surprising thing in this thread.. that someone actually does watch that station or go to their website. LOL

Their website actually gets quite a few hits more than the other networks.

After sailing on the Carnival Breeze after a several year break from Carnival, I view their ship as sub par. It doesn't surprise me Carnival has the problems they do.

I'm not an experienced cruiser like many others here, but RCI experiences have always been fun.