beverage packages

zahav1

What do you mean the drink packages are only for groups. We are going to be on Crown princess with a group of about 900. Does that count or only the two ships listed so far

Apples and oranges being compared here.

The link to the Princess web site describes packages only available to groups of 30 or more and must be purchesed for the entire group for the full cruise on cruises of 5 days or more.

The package being tested on the Star and Sapphire is for individuals.

Some clarification - the various packages are for groups, the information below (one package) is only on Sapphire and Star and may become available on all ships in sping of 2014.

Princess Cruises has begun testing their “All Inclusive Beverage Package” on a ship wide basis aboard the Star Princess and the Sapphire Princess.

The newly available beverage package will cost guests $49 a day with gratuities not included. The package can be used throughout the ship’s bars, restaurants, and lounges and can be used for all cocktails and spirits less than $10, all glasses of wine and beer less than $10, soda, shakes, coffee, tea, espresso, and other non-alcoholic drinks. Guests who purchase the package also receive a 40% discount on any bottled wine less than $100 and free food items included with the coffee card.

The new beverage package can be purchased on any 7 night or longer sailing aboard the Star or Sapphire Princess during the trial. Guests sailing with a cabin mate who has purchased the package will be required to also purchase the beverage package. Minors sailing with an adult in the same cabin will be required to purchase the Unlimited Soda & More Package.

The All Inclusive Beverage Package was previously only available to groups sailing on Princess with more than 30 guests.

According to a Princess spokesperson, if the program is successful on the trial ships, Princess will roll out the program to the entire Princess fleet by Spring 2014.

According to a Princess spokesperson, if the program is successful on the trial ships, Princess will roll out the program to the entire Princess fleet by Spring 2014.

As stated in the Carnival Corp meeting with stock analysts yesterday, they are expanding this program among the various brands in order to increase onboard profits.

As stated in the Carnival Corp meeting with stock analysts yesterday, they are expanding this program among the various brands in order to increase onboard profits.

That's the bottom line with the drink programs knowing that most passengers will not even break even. It's not to make us happy & if I recall correctly the term Pam uses to describe this is "slippage".

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's the bottom line with the drink programs knowing that most passengers will not even break even. It's not to make us happy & if I recall correctly the term Pam uses to describe this is "slippage".
Yes. :) The drink packages are to make money and profits, not because they want to save you money. "Slippage" is a marketing term for unused portions of what you've paid for. It's the difference between a transaction cost and actual use. That's why gift cards are successful... the company gets the money up front and many people either don't use the gift card or use only portions. For example, I still have a Regal Cinemas gift card from maybe 3-4 years ago and I still have $2.50 left. That's slippage. :) If you purchase the drink package for $49/day but the comparable value that you've used is only $25/day on average, the cruise line gets a nice profit. Many people who buy these packages forget that there are ports and they'll be off the ship for hours or the whole day. That's a lot of drinking to make up to get the full value. Edited by Pam in CA

Yes, the new Drinks Package they are trying out on the Star and the Sapphire are considered a profit maker for the cruise line, but no one is making you purchase this package. It certainly would not be cost effective for many people, but those who do enjoy beverages throughout the day/evening should compare costs of ordering individual drinks vs the price of this package. It definitely would not be worth doing on a port intensive cruise, but could be worth it on one with several sea days. It really will be an individuals decision, but I do like that Princess is trying to come up with some type of package that includes alcohol and unless I am mistaken, coffee, soda, etc.

Yes, the new Drinks Package they are trying out on the Star and the Sapphire are considered a profit maker for the cruise line, but no one is making you purchase this package.

It really will be an individuals decision, but I do like that Princess is trying to come up with some type of package that includes alcohol and unless I am mistaken, coffee, soda, etc.

Did anyone say that they're "making you purchase this package"?

It's good to have these drink packages but think it's primarily good for Princess as I doubt if many will drink $113 per cabin per day of drinks. As 'caribill' said drink packages are being included in other cruise lines promotions however I prefer Princess OBC instead to spend as I like. :)

I do hope that Princess rethinks the both passengers in the cabin have to buy the package if one does. I would buy it for myself, but the Hubster wouldn't get anywhere near 25% use of his. So that would really make it a significant loss for us. (So they're losing what they might have gained from sale of one package by requiring 2 sales.) Celebrity does not require that both passengers in a cabin buy one, and Royal Caribbean and removed its requirement that both buy. Doubt that Princess passengers are any less honest than those cruise lines.

Several people have responded to several threads that only one member of a couple would find this package useful. And certainly Royal Caribbean didn't remove the both passengers in a cabin requirement because it was working out so well - they must have decided they could make more money by selling a package to one person in a cabin vs no one in the cabin.

It is interesting that some other cruise lines which have had a similar package for years are now giving this package away in order to attract passengers to book a cruise.
Sure... that's logical because the "real" value or actual cost to the cruise line is a lot less than the face value of the package. :)

Some clarification - the various packages are for groups, the information below (one package) is only on Sapphire and Star and may become available on all ships in sping of 2014.

Princess Cruises has begun testing their “All Inclusive Beverage Package” on a ship wide basis aboard the Star Princess and the Sapphire Princess.

The newly available beverage package will cost guests $49 a day with gratuities not included. The package can be used throughout the ship’s bars, restaurants, and lounges and can be used for all cocktails and spirits less than $10, all glasses of wine and beer less than $10, soda, shakes, coffee, tea, espresso, and other non-alcoholic drinks. Guests who purchase the package also receive a 40% discount on any bottled wine less than $100 and free food items included with the coffee card.

The new beverage package can be purchased on any 7 night or longer sailing aboard the Star or Sapphire Princess during the trial. Guests sailing with a cabin mate who has purchased the package will be required to also purchase the beverage package. Minors sailing with an adult in the same cabin will be required to purchase the Unlimited Soda & More Package.

The All Inclusive Beverage Package was previously only available to groups sailing on Princess with more than 30 guests.

What cocktails and spirits are more than $10.00

Can anyone post a price list?

What cocktails and spirits are more than $10.00

Can anyone post a price list?

I'm sure someone can come up with a list but I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what would be more than $10 on Princess. Celebrity, sure, but not Princess. Unless Princess is planning to raise individual drink prices along with the package. As of October, mixed drinks, Bloody Mary's, Long Island Iced Tea, etc. were $5.50-6; martinis were $7-8.

I'm sure someone can come up with a list but I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out what would be more than $10 on Princess. Celebrity, sure, but not Princess. Unless Princess is planning to raise individual drink prices along with the package. As of October, mixed drinks, Bloody Mary's, Long Island Iced Tea, etc. were $5.50-6; martinis were $7-8.

Wines, champagnes, brandy, scotches and probably doubles of anything.

I do hope that Princess rethinks the both passengers in the cabin have to buy the package if one does. I would buy it for myself, but the Hubster wouldn't get anywhere near 25% use of his. So that would really make it a significant loss for us. (So they're losing what they might have gained from sale of one package by requiring 2 sales.)

Based on the number of posters who want unlimited fresh-brewed coffee for multiple passengers when only one person has purchased the coffee card and similar posts for people who have purchased a single soda sticker, it is not a stretch to see similar abuse if only one person in a cabin is allowed to purchase this beverage package.

One cruise line's onboard computers keep track of the timing when drinks are obtained and will not allow a 2nd drink within x amount of time. Of course that leads to its own set of problems.

Traveled on the Cribe Princess Oct 2012 (Canada and E. coast). Wife and I do not drink alcohol. We bought the coffee card. In morning I would let 2 cappuccinos. In the afternoon when we came back to the ship we would go to the International Cafe for expressos or cappuccinos. After dinner we liked to go see Sammy Goldstein. First we would stop at the International Cafe for hot chocolates. Traveling on the Star Princess Aug 8, 2014 to Alaska. New packages don't seem to fit us. I hope that they remember that not everyone drinks alcohol.

It is interesting that some other cruise lines which have had a similar package for years are now giving this package away in order to attract passengers to book a cruise.

The catch to that is they raise the price of the cruise when they run the free drink package offer and you must book an ocean view or higher category. On the 8 day cruise I took they raised the price of an ocean view $200 pp. With the increase in price you are paying for one drink package in the fare.

How much are the Bellini's on the Royal? Maybe there are wines that run $10 a glass. I laugh when people complain about the drink prices on Princess. Cocktails at Applebee's cost more.