Press Release: Texas to begin Collecting Taxes on Alcohol at Seaports

WeighAnchor

Not sure, but I believe only the Federal gov't can legally levy import taxes on goods from other countries or out of country Duty Free shops... I smell a lawsuit...

Alcohol has very different rules than regular goods, and they vary from state to state.

I am wondering how quickly Carnival (and the other lines) will collect the taxes for the State of Texas to speed things up at disembarkation. I would expect that the Texas based cruises may actually have the tax added (and a sticker to show it has been paid) at the on-board shops. And the "collection desk" at the ports (where you have to leave the booze that you purchased on shore {wink, wink} will have someone to charge the tax to your on board account.

I would expect this to be on board in a month or so after the cluster duck at customs during disembarkation.

As someone else said they have been doing this at the border for years. Custom guy would ask if you had any liquor / cigarettes if you did he would direct you to a separate stop where you would pay the tax.

Suspect this is how it will be handled at the port.

Don't see how this will make money for Texas once they pay several agents to be there year round. As a state resident I think this is a total waste of money and will only piss off those visiting.

Really a dumb move by our elected officials. Usually we are much smarter on how we spend our money.

Please let this tax be known to everyone to boycott so our state people don't collect anything.

Edited by timbom

I'm surprised no one's commented on the potential big issue here, that this also now gives them a way to enforce the stricter Texas laws on the amount of liquor you can bring in. Per federal government, you can only bring in one liter per person duty free, and pay duty tax on the rest (should they choose to, of course), but in Texas it's one liter PERIOD. You can't just pay the extra taxes to bring more home.

Sent from my iPad

Section 107.07 of the Alcoholic Beverage Code, in effect for over 40 years, requires that each adult (21 years old and over) importing alcoholic beverages into the state for personal consumption pay the state tax and an administrative fee of $3.00. The law limits personal importation by an adult to once every 30 days with limits of: 1 gallon of distilled spirits, 3 gallons of wine, and 288 ounces of malt beverages (24 12-ounce containers). Persons importing alcoholic beverages must personally accompany the product as it enters the state. View our detailed list of the taxes for both cigarettes and alcoholic beverages.

My god people, it is a few dollars relax. It won't break you. I really can't see NCL,RCL,CCL etc etc all pulling out of Texas because if this. The "sky is falling" mentality by some folks on here is laughable sometimes.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

:TABC personnel have worked with Port of Galveston officials to ensure that the tax collection is done efficiently and with limited "disruption of port operations" and delays to the passengers.

Yea right, limited disruption. :rolleyes: I foresee a nightmare.:eek:

I agree. Disembarkation is hit or miss in Galveston, anyways. I really don't foresee them being able to handle one more thing to take care of. We've had disembark last longer than 2 hours (Spring Break 2012 on Mariner). We've been luckier recently, but this new tax could change all that. I don't care about the $6 or $7. I care about how much of my time it's going to take to PAY the said amount. I'll be watching threads here to see how it goes in January. We cruise in February on the Magic, and we may forgo purchasing booze if it ends up being a waiting nightmare.

My god people, it is a few dollars relax. It won't break you. I really can't see NCL,RCL,CCL etc etc all pulling out of Texas because if this. The "sky is falling" mentality by some folks on here is laughable sometimes.

Well said Trucker.

I'm surprised no one's commented on the potential big issue here, that this also now gives them a way to enforce the stricter Texas laws on the amount of liquor you can bring in. Per federal government, you can only bring in one liter per person duty free, and pay duty tax on the rest (should they choose to, of course), but in Texas it's one liter PERIOD. You can't just pay the extra taxes to bring more home.

Sent from my iPad

I believe texas allows one GALLON per person, not one liter. A couple can still very likely get away with two 3-liter bottles with no issue (other than the extra $11 charge).

In California we aren't paying taxes for liquor we carry off.

We do pay around 10% in taxes on purchases (bar and photo) during embark and debark.

Texas is collecting a tax for all liquor carried off. Texas has other alcohol laws for the cruise industry as well.

Thanks for the clarification, Sadie. I thought everyone was speaking of drinks purchased on the ship before setting sail. One's bar receipt when doing so shows California sales tax on it. Sorry for the misinformation. :o

Sent from my iPad

Yeah, but how does any body know? We put our bottles in our roll on between our pillows, no one checks.

Though, we only brought back 1 additional bottle of rum and 5 beers, the rest we brought with us originally, and we're just bringing them back home ( I failed at actually drinking last week).

Which brings up the question, how would they know what we brought on board with us-thus I already paid taxes, as opposed to what we bought in Nassau? In many cases we don't drink all we bring. Last week we did drink the bottle of rum, thus bought a new bottle in Nausea.

I'm assuming the bigger deal is people buying lots...not just one.

Yeah, but how does any body know? We put our bottles in our roll on between our pillows, no one checks.

Though, we only brought back 1 additional bottle of rum and 5 beers, the rest we brought with us originally, and we're just bringing them back home ( I failed at actually drinking last week).

Which brings up the question, how would they know what we brought on board with us-thus I already paid taxes, as opposed to what we bought in Nassau? In many cases we don't drink all we bring. Last week we did drink the bottle of rum, thus bought a new bottle in Nausea.

I'm assuming the bigger deal is people buying lots...not just one.

There should be a TAX STAMP on the cap of the bottle extending down the neck of the bottle.

Thanks for the clarification, Sadie. I thought everyone was speaking of drinks purchased on the ship before setting sail. One's bar receipt when doing so shows California sales tax on it. Sorry for the misinformation. :o

Hey no problem :)

Though we were surprised when we got dinged for tax when we purchased that last photo.

Isn't this exactly what the government said 100 years ago (today) when the FED was born and the first income tax was started. :rolleyes:

I left my tin foil hat at home and have no time for the paranoid anti govt tea party types. So I'll just be over here and that sound you hear is me (and folks like me) laughing as you folks get all torqued up over this. :)

I left my tin foil hat at home and have no time for the paranoid anti govt tea party types. So I'll just be over here and that sound you hear is me (and folks like me) laughing as you folks get all torqued up over this. :)

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. When the government puts a 100% tax on cruising and you're left home sucking your thumb, try to remember the whole idea was, originally, something you found amusing.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Forums mobile app