Smithsonian partnership ended

cruisestitch

Just heard from my friend who is on the Smithsonian speakers list that Celebrity is no longer using them as a speakers bureau. This doesn't mean the end of the on board enrichment speakers just no more from that organization. This may explain why we haven't been able to pull up a list of enrichment speakers for some time now .

Just heard from my friend who is on the Smithsonian speakers list that Celebrity is no longer using them as a speakers bureau. This doesn't mean the end of the on board enrichment speakers just no more from that organization. This may explain why we haven't been able to pull up a list of enrichment speakers for some time now .

Sorry to hear that .We loved all the enrichment series ;):)

No Smithsonian speakers on Silhouette Adriatic and TA. asked a 3 stripe officer about this and he denied that the partnership was discontinued. Either he really didn't know or was following the company line. To me it appears to be further evidence of some new directions. I believe that the Smithsonian Speakers were one of the strong attractions for Celebrity. We don't know the facts, but I hope both sides would reconsider their arrangement.

Darn! I hope they get some other company as good.

That is bad. I loved the Series. We had a number of outstanding speakers and it is one of the major pluses Celebrity had.

Will wait to see what replaces it.

Was on a Princess cruise that had an 'expert' who told us how there was a direct connection between the Egyptian Pyramids and Aztec pyramids. When I asked her about the 2000+year gap, the complete difference in construction and use, and no connection except they were both generally shaped like mountains, she referenced Atlantis.

I never got to ask another question because I swallowed my tongue gagging, and my wife pulled me out of there before I threw her overboard so the mermen could have their way with her!!

Den

That is really too bad, we always thought that the Smithsonian speakers were excellent. Two of the speakers on our recent Silhouette Adriatic/TA were just awful.

On that cruise and absolutely agree. I'm sure your talking about the "artist" and the "Hollywood" insider. The Astronomy speaker was excellent and the destination speaker good. He just covered too many different topics.Almost an expert in everything.

That is bad. I loved the Series. We had a number of outstanding speakers and it is one of the major pluses Celebrity had.

Will wait to see what replaces it.

Was on a Princess cruise that had an 'expert' who told us how there was a direct connection between the Egyptian Pyramids and Aztec pyramids. When I asked her about the 2000+year gap, the complete difference in construction and use, and no connection except they were both generally shaped like mountains, she referenced Atlantis.

I never got to ask another question because I swallowed my tongue gagging, and my wife pulled me out of there before I threw her overboard so the mermen could have their way with her!!

Den

She must have been watching too much TV :)

We had a terrific speaker on the Equinox TA in Novemer: Dr. Hal Tinberg who did a whole series of presentations on DNA testing and cold cases. He had packed audiences in the large theatre every day. I don't know what speakers bureau hw as from but he was excellent.

That is unfortunate news.

We had several excellent guest speakers on the recent Infinity TA; they were not associated with the Smithsonian, and I hope Celebrity will keep up the quality. It makes a big difference on a longer cruise like a TA to have options like this.

(The speakers, and thus the pax, were badly treated by the cruise director, however. One speaker mentioned the other subjects he was going to cover in his last two lectures, and folks were really looking forward to them, but they were never scheduled. Another had his final lecture scheduled for a time when we were docked in our last port, even though there were a bunch of sea days before that when he could have been scheduled.)