Carnival Sunshine - Loved The Captain's Suite - Won't Be Back!

Spaniel Lover

Entertainment

Great entertainment is one of the reasons that they call them the Fun Ships. There's comedy, musical entertainment, big production shows, game shows, and we even had a juggler/comedian perform for us. They don't let you take pictures at most of those events, so I don't have photos to illustrate this section of the story. Let's just say that we've always been happy with the entertainment on Carnival. It's unfortunate that I was so ill during the second half of the cruise, because by the time the evenings rolled around I was totally wiped out and I ended up skipping quite a few of the shows I normally would have attended.

I've seen the "Love & Marriage" show on just about every cruise I've been on, and let me just say that Jaime did one of the best versions I've ever seen. She's simply the best Cruise Director there is!

One really great thing about the $155 million renovation is that they fixed the problem with the performing area in Ocean Plaza. If you've been on the Carnival Dream, Carnival Magic, or Carnival Breeze... you may have noticed the awkward arrangement for the stage in Ocean Plaza. It's a very goofy setup, with the audience out to the sides, rather than in front of the stage where it should be. And the dance floor is right where the foot traffic in the area wants to be. It's messed up! Luckily, whoever designs the ships must have figured it out... because they got it right on the Carnival Sunshine. They have a really nice area for music and dancing in Ocean Plaza...

CarnivalSunshine-IMG_0314.JPG

An event I won't soon forget was the Playlist Productions show "Studio VIP". This must be new... as I haven't seen it on any of the other cruises we've been on. They actually incorporate about a dozen guests in to the show. The pre-selected VIP guests are brought out of the audience by the professional dancers and the guests just have to let loose and dance and have fun as part of the show. Believe me, I had no intention to volunteer for this... but as we were standing in line to get in to the theatre, I heard Jaime having a hard time convincing people to volunteer for it. They needed twelve VIP guests to be in the show, and they had a hard time getting the last few volunteers. Finally, when they had 11 volunteers, I decided to do Jaime a favor and volunteer to fill the last VIP guest spot. Trust me when I say that this overweight 56-year-old over-the-hill guy is not normally found up on a stage dancing in front of a thousand people. But when in Rome...

CarnivalSunshine-IMG_0110.JPG

That's me, in the tie, up on stage along with several other passengers as part of the "Studio VIP" show.

New Orleans

Any review of our Carnival Sunshine cruise would be incomplete without also talking about the things to see and do in New Orleans before or after your cruise. This was our second visit to New Orleans, and we saw a very different side of the city this time around. During our first visit, which was only just three months earlier, it was just me and my wife on that trip. She's fairly easily offended... so we totally stayed away from Bourbon Street and the whole raunchy side of the city. We did a very family-friendly tour of the Big Easy during our first visit. You can read about it here.

This time around, there were other forces at play. Most importantly, we had our 28-year-old son with us... and it was his birthday the night before the cruise. You can't bring a 28-year-old to New Orleans on his birthday and not visit Bourbon Street. The other thing was that even this 56-year-old felt a little cheated by not being able to visit Bourbon Street last time around... so there was no way we would be doing the family-friendly New Orleans tour this time!

I have to start by telling you about the best thing we ate during our entire vacation. You read my rant about the cruise ship food so I think you probably already figured out that the best thing we ate during this vacation was not on the ship... it was at a restaurant in New Orleans. And I've got pictures!

NewOrleans-Z0008.jpg

"Barbecue Shrimp" at Pere Antoine's restaurant

We totally lucked in to a fantastic dinner the first night we were in New Orleans. We just walked over to the French Quarter and started looking at restaurants and the menus posted outside... until we found one that all three of us liked. We ended up at Pere Antoine's restaurant at 741 Royal Street.

Kellyn likes shrimp, and also likes food cooked on a barbecue... so when she saw "Barbecue Shrimp" on the menu, it caught her eye. She was surprised when the menu included a complete paragraph explaining that in spite of the name, "Barbecue Shrimp" in New Orleans is not actually cooked on a barbecue. It's a misnomer. It probably ought to really be known as "Cajun Shrimp". In any case, in New Orleans, the term they use is "Barbecue Shrimp". It's cooked in a pot in a sauce with all sorts of Cajun spices... and Kellyn just absolutely LOVED it. She loved it so much that the next day for lunch, at a different restaurant in the French Quarter, she ordered "Barbecue Shrimp" again. It was OK, but not as good as at Pere Antoine's. At dinner on our second night in New Orleans, at yet another restaurant, once again Kellyn ordered the "Barbecue Shrimp"... and again it was OK, but not as good as at Pere Antoine's. So, if barbecue shrimp sounds good to you and you'll be visiting New Orleans sometime soon... take Kellyn's advice and head to Pere Antoine's at 741 Royal Street.

I also totally loved my meal at Pere Antoine's on our first night in New Orleans. I ordered a steak... and unlike the one I paid $35 for at the Carnival Sunshine steakhouse... it was fantastic.

NewOrleans-Z0009.jpg

I really enjoyed visiting the French Quarter of New Orleans because there was not only good food, but good music, too. We stopped for a drink at a bar called Maison Bourbon, and listened to a jazz quartet for a while.

NewOrleans-IMAG0010.jpg

Another place where we found good music was at the New Orleans Musical Legends Park. There's a restaurant and bar there, and they had a good band playing.

NewOrleans-IMAG0013.jpg

One last picture, before I wrap this thing up! Here's Jeff & Kellyn celebrating Jeff's 28th birthday in New Orleans...

NewOrleans-IMAG0011.jpg

I always enjoy sharing my photos, videos, and cruise stories with the folks on Cruise Critic. I've learned a lot from Cruise Critic over the years, and this is how I give something back. I hope you've enjoyed the story. I apologize for the rant... it's not normally my style. I'm a "gets a bad steak, doesn't say a word to the waiter" kind of guy. But I think it's important to shine a light on the fact that the Carnival Sunshine is a little different from the other ships in the fleet. I'll be sticking with the Carnival Breeze and the Conquest-class ships in the future, as well as testing the waters with Princess in 2014.

now i'm going to go read your take on the splendor since that's up next for me :D

OK... but the thing you have to keep in mind is that it's been years since I was on the Splendor and wrote that review! So, lots of things may have changed since then.

The thing I really love about the Splendor is the arrangement they have for the Jacuzzis one level up above the mid-ship Lido pool. It's really a great place for the Jacuzzis. No other Carnival ship is set up that way.

The thalasotherapy pool on the Splendor is pretty cool, too.

Jim Zim (love the name),

I have been wanting to thank you for several months about your great Breeze review! I was debating between Princess and the Breeze with a similar itineray and your review/photos/video convinced me it was the Breeze. We head out on the Breeze next month and have a fantastic roll call so I am really excited. Thank you!!

I was considering the Sunshine for a future cruise but now you have me a little worried. Dining is one the most important features and lots of questionable food does not excite me!

Be sure to post a Jim Zim does Princess review on the Carnival side so we won't miss it! Love your writing style and photos!

What a great review! I really enjoyed reading it. We live in Central Florida, and I have been curious about the Sunshine since she'll be heading here soon. Your family and your pictures are gorgeous. I'm sorry you got sick on your cruise, and I don't blame you for being irritated about the slab of fat you were served at the restaurant.

I appreciate you sharing the good and bad, and taking the time to write it!

JimZim got to say I have always liked your cruise reviews and pictures. Top notch.

If the NCL haven looks good, only on some ships, also check out the MSC Divina out of Miami and her Yacht Club. Don't have the link but similar to the NCl haven but free wine, spirits, soda and other drinks. Private dining room for all meals and a private poolside and lounge small plates buffet. High tea served every day by butlers in private lounge. Rooms aren't as big however but the perks seem greater. Looked at the haven on the pearl but cost was more than MSC yacht club so will be sailing her next Christmas.

We did the suite life on the dawn and loved it but the MSC Yacht Club looks like better perks all around.

Sorry about the steakhouse, that looked and sounded truly awful.

This is a really fascinating review to learn about these unique cabins and your photos are great. Your descriptions are clear and really helpful. I was on Allure on the 20th and have photos of Sunshine leaving Cozumel. By posting in this thread I will be able to find it again and share with you a unique view of your ship/trip that you only could have gotten if you stayed at a pier bar too long when I get the photos uploaded. :D

I will say this, we had a balcony cabin (where I took my photos from) and when Sunshine was preparing to depart we heard a lot of noise. At first my better half thought some other balcony had brought out a radio or was blasting a TV or something; it was the Sunshine. I mean it was LOUD. It was louder from that ship a few hundred feet away than the Allure pool deck was all week. And it sounded like WAY over-driven. There is clear but high volume, and then there is loud. We could still plainly hear the music even as the ship swung around to change direction. They need to turn it down from 11 to about a 6 or a 7. Of course I'm not an audio pro and I wasn't on the ship, but just an observation from personal experience.

Edited by LMaxwell

I see you sailed the Carnival Spirit several times but didn't mention that class of ship as you did the Conquest and Dream classes. How do Spirit class ships compare to the renovated Sunshine for a serene area to relax from the noise of the mid-ship pool activity?

I just realized that in writing up my review, I left off one story! I think all you cruise fanatics will appreciate this.

There I was... driving down the freeway to Los Angeles international airport to catch our flight to New Orleans. The minivan was loaded up with all of our luggage. Excitement was high. We had to leave the house at Zero-Dark-Thirty in order to be in Los Angeles for a 10 AM flight. We had a little bit of extra time built in to our schedule in case we ran in to bad rush hour freeway traffic, but only about an hour of extra time.

So... about two hours south of our house... we stop at a gas station / mini mart for some fuel and a snack. I reach in to my pocket to pull out some money for a snack and discover -- TO MY TOTAL HORROR!!! -- that I do not have my wallet with me! I quickly realize that it is at home, in a drawer.

I did have my passport with me, thank goodness. And my wife had her wallet which had credit cards and about $200 cash. But my wallet was at home, so I had no credit cards and no cash of my own. It would take a four hour drive (up and back) just to get them and return to my current location. I only had a one hour pad in the schedule, so that was definitely not going to happen!

So, we just decided to proceed on our merry way. We figured that since I had my passport, boarding pass, etc... I would have no problem getting on the airplane and the cruise ship. And since my wife had credit cards and some cash, we could pay for whatever we needed.

Indeed... it worked out fine... there were no disasters. But just imagine my horror at that instant when I realized that I didn't have my wallet!!!

Great review! I was on the Sunshine for Thanksgiving. It was my 25th Carnival cruise! Jamie is one of the best CD's. Ocean Plaza is nice, but I miss the Lanai. The Lobby is very small. I laughed when I read your experience getting breakfast on Lido. Totally agree!!! It seems Carnival wanted to put all their new features in a ship that was too small for them. I will be happy to see the Dream come to New Orleans!!

Thanks for a great review. We were on the Sunshine last month and enjoyed it very much. The only thing I disagree with is your take on the serenity deck. Only the lower section was close enough to the lido activities where you could not escape the noise. The serenity on the Sunshine is huge and on its top 2 decks we had all the peace and quiet we needed. Also had no trouble finding a place to relax. Again thanks for a detailed honest review. Love the pictures.

Thank you for your review, I enjoyed it very much. We are doing the 11 day repositioning cruise on the Sunshine in April. I am interested in your opinion of your Montego Bay excursion. Do you think it was worth the money? We are considering this same one, but it will be pricey for 4 of us. I have 2 boys ages 5 & 8. Can you tell me if you think that it is good for kids also? Thanks for any input.:)

Great review, love the Captains Suite but I'm with you. Once would be nice but I'd rather do a B2B2B with the money I'm sure it cost.

Last year on the Liberty my husband had that steak in the Steakhouse. The ribeye right? He wasn't happy but he ate what he could. We are on the Valor in a few weeks and I made another Steakhouse reservation. I hope he gets a better steak. Me, I'm ordering the Filet that I drooled over last year.

I have a question you can hopefully help me with if you don't mind. The Valor has the 2.0 upgrades and the Guy Burgers? I am on the Valor in 2 weeks and I read that it was upgraded a few years back but I thought I read it doesn't have the Guy Burgers. I hope your right and I'm wrong because my kids loved those burgers on the Liberty. They weren't happy when I said the Valor didn't have them so if it does, I won't tell them so they can be surprised.

Thanks again for the review. You have a nice, calming way of writing. I really enjoyed reading it.

Happy Sailing

Edited by girlscruise2011

JimZim got to say I have always liked your cruise reviews and pictures. Top notch.

If the NCL haven looks good, only on some ships, also check out the MSC Divina out of Miami and her Yacht Club. Don't have the link but similar to the NCl haven but free wine, spirits, soda and other drinks. Private dining room for all meals and a private poolside and lounge small plates buffet. High tea served every day by butlers in private lounge. Rooms aren't as big however but the perks seem greater. Looked at the haven on the pearl but cost was more than MSC yacht club so will be sailing her next Christmas.

We did the suite life on the dawn and loved it but the MSC Yacht Club looks like better perks all around.

Sorry about the steakhouse, that looked and sounded truly awful.

I 2nd the Divina....I have not been on the YC but I did a 3 night cruise on her *my 4th MSC and I love love the ship and especially the entertainment

MSC is not well known and has really good deals and specials, and YC is cheaper than haven I think, very special but any cruise on the ship has great entertainment, we had dueling pianos, huge production shows etc

The comedy club situation on Carnival is a joke period - fine on the Imagination which has the same size club as the others but 1000 less people....but the biggest joke on Conquest class ships. Especially with so much less entertainment - everyone wants to go to the comedy club

I was recently on Conquest and saw the first 2 comedians but by end of week the crowds were so bad I only saw one of the 2 last ones. I keep saying - why oh why don't they just put the last show of the night, the late adult show back in the main theater? I remember Carnival before they had the dedicated comedy club - they used to do a midnight adult show in main theater at least 1 or 2x on a cruise?

My Divina review is in my signature :) Enjoy