Independence - bits 'n' pieces - Dec 29 2013 - Jan 12 2014

Merion_Mom

This is cruel and unusual punishment - no info since 12/30. Hoping this means she is having a great time! :)

Ha-Ha! I am eagerly waiting for more too... I simply cannot read enough about Indy! It helps the time go by.

First cruise was absolutely fabulous. I love sailing with my daughter, son and son-in-law. He is a NYE baby, so we had lots to celebrate.

I am lying on my bed as we dock at Port Everglades.

No ill effects from my falls. Thanks to all of you for your good wishes.

We had ongoing shower problems in cabin 7638 that took five maintenance visits to fix. It is great now. Achmed in Guest Services sent us a bottle of wine for our troubles. And he is my new best friend. ;)

Jane, which slot machine was kind to you? I have found them all to be tighter than.......oops, no delicate way to end that sentence. :D

Champagne Bar: bartender said "Yes" to caviar question.

I have forgotten the Vintages question. :o

Grand Cayman:

Guys did NOT want to do stingrays again; they wanted to parasail.

The tendering worked out very well for us in both directions.

We went to the taxi area and tried to find someone who would drive us to Hell and the Turtle Farm, then drop us off at 7 Mile Beach.

No one would.

They all wanted to take us on a pre-planned tour, with no changes.

We ended up taking a bus for $4 pp and got off at Royal Palms.

$2 pp entrance fee. Pool area closed for NYE setup.

$7 per lounge chair. $10 for an umbrella. $18 for a chicken wrap sandwich.

Parasailing for two: $150, although the sign said $140.

The boys got a one o'clock time slot, and we settled in. I went for a lovely walk down the beautiful beach.

After about an hour and a half, the concessions woman came over and apologized to the boys: they overbooked.

They received a refund. We stayed another hour or so, then tendered back.

Was Royal Palms nice? Yes, nice enough. Would I go there again? I doubt it.

I rarely order room service, but I'm curious. Is that a permanent change or just for this holiday sailing, today only? :confused:

BTW...hope you're ok from the falls

Those seem to be the new room service hours, at least on the Independence.

According to news sources, a passenger is reportedly missing from the Independence of the Seas cruise ship which sailed to the Cayman Islands today.

The missing man is a 65-year-old man from Canada who was reported missing by his wife, before the Royal Caribbean ship arrived at the Grand Cayman's port.

Link wouldn't show

I have no information about the missing man. There has been a lot go paging, though.

Carol......glad to hear from you again. The slot I used was a Haywire slot machine. I hit two big payoffs on it and a LOT of little ones. It's a quarter slot and max bet is two credits. the one I used was not too far from the Cashier. It was in the middle area surrounded on the outside by other slots. Good Luck!

Same feelings about Royal Palms....beautiful beach....but just too crowded for me!! That parasailing was awfully expensive. The best parasailing I've ever found was on Orient Beach......$90 for two. I loved it there.

Love hearing about your trip and what you are doing. Keep us posted!!

How is my ship husband, Raj!? Give him a kiss from me.....both cheeks!

Carol, thanks for settling the Champagne bar/caviar question. My questiion about Vintages was were there daily sale specials for bottles of wine? On NOS a couple of weeks ago there was a chalkboard out in front with the special sales listed. Prices ranged from $20-$26 per bottle, a real savings.

Carol, thanks for settling the Champagne bar/caviar question. My questiion about Vintages was were there daily sale specials for bottles of wine? On NOS a couple of weeks ago there was a chalkboard out in front with the special sales listed. Prices ranged from $20-$26 per bottle, a real savings.

OK! I'm on it! :)

Carol, I want you to go out to the end of the gangway getting on the ship, and lay your body across it. My bff's daughter and fiancée are on a flight right now from Dallas, arriving FLL at 3:45PM!! :eek::eek:

It's her college graduation gift from last May, and they have been having a nightmare getting from the Bay Area to FLL. Stopped dead in Houston because all of SW's flight crews were stuck on the East Coast in the weather. Ovenight Houston, flew to Dallas this morning, and now are 1.5 hours delayed into FLL.

Work your mojo for Kate and Alex, Merion Mom!!! :D:D

My bff and TA are tearing their hair out. We have a contingency, though: stay in FLL / Miami until Monday, fly to St. Maarten, overnight, get on the Indy Tuesday.

Thank goodness for travel insurance!!!

Carol, I want you to go out to the end of the gangway getting on the ship, and lay your body across it. My bff's daughter and fiancée are on a flight right now from Dallas, arriving FLL at 3:45PM!! :eek::eek:

It's her college graduation gift from last May, and they have been having a nightmare getting from the Bay Area to FLL. Stopped dead in Houston because all of SW's flight crews were stuck on the East Coast in the weather. Ovenight Houston, flew to Dallas this morning, and now are 1.5 hours delayed into FLL.

My bff and TA are tearing their hair out. We have a contingency, though: stay in FLL / Miami until Monday, fly to St. Maarten, overnight, get on the Indy Tuesday.

Oh no!! I hope they make it!

Peggy, last week, when there were no weather issues that I know of, people were still boarding at FIVE o'clock!!!!!

The answer, alas, is "no".

Port #2: Falmouth, Jamaica.

The Allure was there, too.

We were docked on "the other side". When I stood on my port side balcony, I looked over and across the "port" area to the Allure.

This was New Year's Day. NO ONE in our family was up and about before noon. The kids walked around the port for about an hour and a half. I stayed on board. ;)

Beth bought blue mountain coffee for her boyfriend. Evan bought himself a watch for his birthday. :D

Then the guys had massages in the spa on board. They gave them a big thumbs up.

New Year's Eve:

NYE is always a celebratory blast on a cruise ship. Most people crowd into the Royal Promenade, as did we.

Champagne - the free stuff - was harder to find and get this year. But we found it and we got it. :D

Countdown and the huge balloon drop at midnight. Beth took a video which I will try to post when I get home.

Nice menu in the MDR, including lobster. This was, as I wrote previously, first formal night.

Port #3: Labadee

I stayed on the ship; kids had fun at Columbus Cove.

Floating mats are up to FOURTEEN dollars, and I swear that they are the same mats as when they were five dollars. And I don't mean the same style or model; I mean THE SAME MATS. :eek: :D

Port #3: Labadee

I stayed on the ship; kids had fun at Columbus Cove.

Floating mats are up to FOURTEEN dollars, and I swear that they are the same mats as when they were five dollars. And I don't mean the same style or model; I mean THE SAME MATS. :eek: :D

:D This is so funny!!! I'll pack my own inflatable, I guess. New make and model at $1 a piece.

Food comments:

These are NOT complaints. I repeat, these are NOT complaints. They are my observations.

Windjammer was fine. Noticeably fewer choices on embarkation day. I double-checked this today.

Bread in the MDR: Indy makes a big deal of this. It is The Procession of the Breads, to the tune of Hot, Hot, Hot

Fewer choices. No muffins ever. Same bread every day.

In five nights, only offered fresh ground pepper once. ;)

Waiter Monique very good and efficient. Asst waiter Ryan not too good with the water refills.

Food was very good. Too many desserts still rely on gelatin. Chocolate soufflé lacks any chocolate flavor.

I love the artichoke crepes.

Lobster was offered twice- both formal nights. Kids pronounced it delicious.

We had a mix up with our seating arrangement but it was fixed immediately.

I do not like any of their salad dressings and always ask for oil and vinegar and apply it myself.

Hors d'oeuvres in DL were more varied and abundant in the past BUT.....

It has gone from cheese with Carr's wafers to saltines to nothing.

David ate made-to-order egg white omelettes every day and liked them except for the waiting.

Evan is a vegetarian and had no problem eating well.

Cabin number? I'll check on them.