Independence - bits 'n' pieces - Dec 29 2013 - Jan 12 2014

Merion_Mom

A few dozen souls joined the ship yesterday in St. Martin. They had been unable to get to Fort Lauderdale in time.

And yesterday, after everyone was accounted for, my friends in Guest Services upgraded me to an aft JS.

:D :D :D

Congrats on the upgrade:D. Sorry about your falls and hope you are slowly improving. Lisa and I will be getting on as you disembark with our godchildren aka working vacation. So, are there 1 or 2 formal nights on the 6 night leg??? We will be dining only in the MDR due to peanut allergy in 2 yr old and early seating at that:(. I may be having a liquid meal;) but glad to hear food ok. Thanks for the review and continue to enjoy. Safe trip home.

Marcia

Edited by Seatravelers

The pain from my earlier falls has been increasing, so yesterday, I went to the medical center. They were very caring and thorough, even taking x-rays. There is a complete surgical suite down there!

Of course, it's just a muscle tear or strain, so there was nothing on the x-ray. Doctor gave me a muscle relaxant (robaflaxin?????). I'm not much for pills, but I took two yesterday and none so far today. I don't feel any difference. Sort of limping, and must avoid stairs.

But I'll live. Definitely non-fatal. :D

You should consider heading up to the spa and try the acupuncture.

I had never tried it before but I left for our last cruise I had a pinched nerve, gave it a try on day 1 and felt better. A bad fall on the flowrider on day 2 set me back but another trip to the spa and was feeling better again. Wasn't a believer before but I am now.:)

A few dozen souls joined the ship yesterday in St. Martin. They had been unable to get to Fort Lauderdale in time.

And yesterday, after everyone was accounted for, my friends in Guest Services upgraded me to an aft JS.

:D :D :D

Thats awesome, :D We all just upgraded to JR suites for our March cruise because of a huge price drop, which aft suite are you in? One couple in our party has 7714 and was wondering about the seating on the Balcony, chairs, loungers, tables etc?

Thanks again

Thats awesome, :D We all just upgraded to JR suites for our March cruise because of a huge price drop, which aft suite are you in? One couple in our party has 7714 and was wondering about the seating on the Balcony, chairs, loungers, tables etc?

Thanks again

Next door - mirror image.

Two regular chairs, one little low table, two chairs with ottomans as faux loungers.

BIG balcony. :)

Arm is better.

Leg is better.

But I think that I am being punished for gloating about people stuck in snow and cold at home while I an in the hot Caribbean.

I have a cold.

Probably picked it up in the infirmary!!!!

:eek:

This is an 8 night cruise. It has been quite a while since I took one longer than 7, so I am quite accustomed to the "new" menus.

Tuesday was the new, extra menu for me.

It was OUTSTANDING.

I will post it when I get home.

Edited by Merion_Mom

I definitely saw those on a table in front of the shop on the Promenade on the last day. (i.e., Friday)

:)

Thanks so much for the 'in-real-time' review and also thanks for answering my question!

Glad you are feeling better, and much congrats on the upgrade.

Arm is better.

Leg is better.

But I think that I am being punished for gloating about people stuck in snow and cold at home while I an in the hot Caribbean.

I have a cold.

Probably picked it up in the infirmary!!!!

:eek:

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Welcome back to reality!

I can't wait to read any additional details about your back-to-back cruises that you may have to share now that you're back in the world of cheaper internet access. I need something to tide me over for the next 9 weeks until we are onboard ourselves! :D

Welcome back to reality!

I can't wait to read any additional details about your back-to-back cruises that you may have to share now that you're back in the world of cheaper internet access. I need something to tide me over for the next 9 weeks until we are onboard ourselves! :D

Ditto that! :D

First, the medical update:

Arm almost back to fully normal function.

Cold just a "kennel cough" now.

Leg = bad. Not sure what that is all about. I'll look into it tomorrow.

Now, the departure.

Since I was traveling solo and my flight wasn't until 3:20, I decided to take an excursion that ended at the airport.

We met in the Alhambra Theater at 8 A.M. Eventually we trooped out together to claim our luggage and go through customs and immigration.

All I can say is: SPOILED SPOILED SPOILED

You take a cruise on Oasis and Allure, and you are totally spoiled by how easy and quick embarkation and disembarkation are.

Not at Pier 29 on the Independence.

Line was long and slow. My line was particularly slow (story of my life: I really should have a sign on my back that says "Do not get in line behind me. I am always in the wrong line.") There was a space next to our line,and every time someone got in THAT line, our pier person at the front let all of them go in front of us. All of them. Without waiting. Without interruption. Oh well. I knew that the bus wouldn't leave without me.

The excursion was the Everglades tour. First we boarded a large and comfortable bus. Our tour agent was adorable - very practiced and corny jokes, but funny. It was about half an hour's drive to Holiday Park for our airboat ride through the Everglades.

Captain Rich was another corny but funny guy. I enjoyed both the ride and his patter.

Here are some pictures of Mr. Big:

DSC07103_zps8d3aa2b9.jpg

DSC07104_zps0128097b.jpg

DSC07105_zpsca388b53.jpg