Ship mechanical tours?

cruisentn

Do they offer ship tours of the engines and such?

I realize it's a security risk and they'd probably not.

But, I'd sure like to see how the big boat works. Having never been on one, I'm amazed at, on Youtube, how it appears to turn so easily (even with a tow). And go the speeds it does.

Just wondering.

Carnival has one. I think it is called Behind the Scenes or something like that. They took us to the engine control room but not to the actual engine room. Security deal was the reason (I was an engineer in the Navy and was hoping to get down there myself but no such luck). They also took us to the kitchen, laundry, backstage of the theater, bridge (met and got a pic taken with the Captatin). It was not the cheapest tour, but I found it really interesting. No cameras allowed and you were followed around with a member of security. (along with the tour guide)

Been on the full access tour with RCI and the engine room is off limits. You do see the engine control room and bridge along with a number of other galley, service, and operational areas, including backstage and some crew areas, however.

As far as maneuvering, the larger and newer ships have Azipod propulsion units in place of the standard shaft and rudder that, when combined with bow thrusters, allow the ship to maneuver very well literally "turning on a dime" in full circle in place without tug assistance. The older ones with shaft and rudder can have stern thrusters as well for solo maneuvering.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

have done a few behind the scenes tours and other than the galley, freezers and bridge area we did get to see how they did the waste recycling but nothing in relation to engineering - they keep these areas secure and don't wish to share their functions with their competitors