Skip main dining for buffet for dinner?

icecone

You know I've skipped MDR dinner a cpl times but never let the maitre'd know :o It never occurred to me that they wait for you. Now I know :) I'd it's last minute can you call or do you have to go to the dining room?

Not correct. Dinner choices on lido closely mirror what they are serving in DR for dinner.

It is interesting that you state you never eat there but you know the menu choices ??????

The times I've tried the buffet for dinner the entree selections were not what was being served in the MDR that evening. For the most part the buffet was disappointing in the few hot items served, lack of variety and only one cook/server on duty at the buffet to assist or answer questions for guests. Back to the MDR for dinner for us!

Has anyone skipped the main dining for dinner on the Lido deck? We have never done this, but are considering it for the week to keep this trip casual. If you have eaten dinner in the buffet, how are the food choices? Anything similar to what would be served in the dining room? I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you!

Not as fancy but sometimes tastes better. A few times I left the MDR to check out the buffet and was pleasantly delighted.

we do it for several nights when we are feeling like being more casual or when we want to eat at a different time other than dining room seating time.

They have things from the MDR menu on the buffet and I personally LOVE the salad bar as I like to get a salad with my dinner.

I'm a buffet person though sometimes tolerate the wait to be served in the MDR. My main goal is fish, I love their fish. I love you can pick your portion size. Then there's the pastrami sandwiches, and so many desserts.

The buffet on Carnival is gross. There is always that bin of sticky but yet dry room temperature rice...butter won't melt on it. The cool soggy baked potatoes. I tried one and the butter wouldn't even melt on it. The salad selections never change. NEVER. It is the same day after day except for a few things that change..I'm speaking of dinner where you may have broccoli one evening and cauliflower the next. The breads are all hard and stale and the same every single day. They basically change the carved meat and some of the side dishes on the buffet each day. Yuck. Puke.

The buffet on Carnival is gross. There is always that bin of sticky but yet dry room temperature rice...butter won't melt on it. The cool soggy baked potatoes. I tried one and the butter wouldn't even melt on it. The salad selections never change. NEVER. It is the same day after day except for a few things that change..I'm speaking of dinner where you may have broccoli one evening and cauliflower the next. The breads are all hard and stale and the same every single day. They basically change the carved meat and some of the side dishes on the buffet each day. Yuck. Puke.

It sure doesn't sound like your experience "mirrors" the menu in the dining room.

Sorry, but your comments are a bit over the top.

We used to go to the MDR every night no matter what. While we've never skipped it for a whole cruise, in recent years we've gotten a little tired of the same old menu and sometimes by mid-cruise, you're just on overload from all the rich and decadent food. Occasionally the buffet works well for a quick meal and some "normal" food. I can usually get a baked potato and some steamed veggies.

It's not my favorite place to eat since my DH always wants something different and we never manage to get back to the table at the same time to eat together, but is good for an occasional meal.

We always choose Your Time Dining or similar open seating dining when available on other cruise lines.

Each evening we check out the dinner menu then walk thru the buffet .

Some nights the buffet wins out , some nights it doesn't .

Last cruise the buffet was very popular and not just for those who don't dress for the dining room.

Edited by MCC retired

We always do the buffet.

You never wait. There are more options. You can get "an ocean view" table. You take as much of what you want in any combination you want.

I could never understand why anyone would opt for the MDR.

Once upon a time the setting was more complimentary to dressing nicely. The MDR changes the dining venue from where you had breakfast and possible lunch. One of the few times you get the chance to be served several courses instead of piling this, that, and the other, on the same place. You don't mind waiting because its a chance to eyeball each other and share.

Once upon a time the setting was more complimentary to dressing nicely. The MDR changes the dining venue from where you had breakfast and possible lunch. One of the few times you get the chance to be served several courses instead of piling this, that, and the other, on the same place. You don't mind waiting because its a chance to eyeball each other and share.

You can eyeball and share in the buffet. (One of our favorite activities is eyeballing.)

In addition to what I stated above, I fund the buffet a great place to meet new people since the seating is completely flexible. You just "go over" and join them...or sit at the next table.

You don't need "to pile your food". You're allowed to take small portions, if that's your thing.

But...that's why there are options!

We cruise as a family, I'm the only girl :rolleyes:, and the guys are just not into the formality of the dining room. I'm not talking about the attire; I'm referring to the limited menu, the length of the meal, etc. We don't eat that way at home, and it's uncomfortable and unappealing to our crew to eat that way on vacation. That's not to say that Mom and Dad might not try eating on our own in the MDR this next cruise; I enjoy that sort of thing myself. But I'm not going to drag everyone else there kicking and screaming! I tried that last cruise, and it made for a very miserable meal. The buffet has more than enough choices (especially when you factor in deli and pizza choices) and just really suits our style more.

You can eyeball and share in the buffet. (One of our favorite activities is eyeballing.)

In addition to what I stated above, I fund the buffet a great place to meet new people since the seating is completely flexible. You just "go over" and join them...or sit at the next table.

You don't need "to pile your food". You're allowed to take small portions, if that's your thing.

But...that's why there are options!

Can we agree the buffet setting is not as complementary to dressing up nicely. A long sweeping gown with a plunging neck line plus 3.5" heels, standing in line with your own plate might not work as well as a sit down meal.

Just trying to let you understand why some opt for the MDR:D

WE now do buffet almost exclusively. We had enough 2-3 hour meals, cold food, waiters who had poor language skills, waiting and waiting for asked condiments, dancing waiters and crowded sitting on anothers lap dining rooms.

We find much the mdr menu is at the buffet, less crowded, more quiet and I don't have to pack any long pants ;)

Last cruise we had our 2 year old DD. In Cozumel, we had left her in camp for a while in order to do an excursion, so we did not want to take her back to camp that evening at dinner time. She did not nap well so she was as grumpy as they get. We had ATD, but she was so crabby, there was no way she was going to sit though dinner. So, DH and I went to the buffet to get her something to eat. We had decided we would see what they had, and either eat there or hope that some of the attitude wore off after eating. We were so disappointed with the food selections that there was no way we were eating there. There were just a couple of entree choices and neither appealed to either of us. Luckily DD's attitude perked up after eating dinner and we were able to go to the MDR to eat. I can't remember if they had chateaubriand or prime rib, but I know it was something that they did not have at the buffet. If we did not go to the MDR, DH probably would have had pizza and I would have had something from room service.

But I am not that found of buffets anyway. Last cruise we had breakfast at the buffet once. We had lunch there a couple of times but DH and I always had either guy's burger, fish and chips or pizza, never anything from the main line (except tacos one day).

Personally, I would try to get ATD. Then you can check out the buffet and if nothing suits you, you still have the option of going to the MDR. Or you can look at the MDR menu and if nothing sounds go, head to the buffet.