sydney hotels

csunshine860

We will be docking from the Carnival Legend on Sept 22nd. We intend to stay in Sydney for 3 nights. Suggestions on where to stay. Would like to be close to transportation for sight seeing etc. Also recommendations to get to the airport for a morning flight. Many thanks.

Chris

We will be docking from the Carnival Legend on Sept 22nd. We intend to stay in Sydney for 3 nights. Suggestions on where to stay. Would like to be close to transportation for sight seeing etc. Also recommendations to get to the airport for a morning flight. Many thanks.

Chris

If you provide your budget for the hotel per night it will enable a considered response.

As for morning flight most use a airport shuttle or Taxi. Cost about $50 for taxi. If getting caught in morning peak traffic is a concern, there is a train to both the domestic and international airports. Cost about $16

If you provide your budget for the hotel per night it will enable a considered response.

As for morning flight most use a airport shuttle or Taxi. Cost about $50 for taxi. If getting caught in morning peak traffic is a concern, there is a train to both the domestic and international airports. Cost about $16

Budget would be 150 to 200. Just wnt to be able to get to places via public transportation, ferry, bus etc. If you can suggest options on what to visit would be great. Many thanks.

Two suggestions I could make are.....

The Russell Hotel - a reasonably priced hotel in the Rocks with a good reputation. Very near the cruise ship terminal so close to ferries and rail.

http://www.therussell.com.au/

The Menzies - a classic hotel, showing its age a little but very comfortable and very conveniently placed. Mid-way between the Rocks and Darling Harbour. Above Wynyard rail station and a bus terminus right outside. Rooms are quiet and we've never been bothered with traffic noise when we've stayed there.

http://www.sydneymenzieshotel.com.au/

A more reasonably priced area and very close to the city are the suburbs of Kirribilli and North Sydney - just over the north side of the Harbour Bridge with easy access to train stations. Also an easy walk over the bridge to get into the city.

Have you tried looking at http://www.wotif.com.au for any deals? Good place to start your research.

Budget would be 150 to 200. Just wnt to be able to get to places via public transportation, ferry, bus etc. If you can suggest options on what to visit would be great. Many thanks.

Another place to consider is the YHA at Circular Quay, see http://www3.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-harbour/. They have great views of the Opera House, Bridge and the Harbour. You can check out their web cam on the link above. A double with a view is about AUD$150 a night.

We stay ot the Holiday Inn Old Sydney. We just walk out of the terminal , along the ramp , across the pedestrian crossing and check in. Perfect position for a tourist stay in Sydney.

You can also walk to the station to catch the train to the airport, but when we are on holiday we just grab a cab......there will be plenty of cabs around that hotel even if your flight is early in the morning.

Another place to consider is the YHA at Circular Quay, see http://www3.yha.com.au/hostels/nsw/sydney-surrounds/sydney-harbour/. They have great views of the Opera House, Bridge and the Harbour. You can check out their web cam on the link above. A double with a view is about AUD$150 a night.

YHA the Rocks is good and a nice pub just down the road for beer and pizza. We will be staying there in March.

Depending on day of the week, early morning rush hour can be horrendous in Sydney, so allow extra time getting to the airport if travelling by road. That's what is good about the train. 12 minutes and you are the airport.

We have stayed at the mantra apartments, 2 bond street. You can walk there from the OPT, even with your luggage (as long you don't have heaps!!,)and they are self contained apartments that very spacious, clean and have everything. Very reasonably priced as well.

A supermarket is directly across the road, so you can do your own cooking and save some $$$$. Close to public transport and city attractions.

We have stayed at the mantra apartments, 2 bond street. You can walk there from the OPT, even with your luggage (as long you don't have heaps!!,)and they are self contained apartments that very spacious, clean and have everything. Very reasonably priced as well.

A supermarket is directly across the road, so you can do your own cooking and save some $$$$. Close to public transport and city attractions.

Thanks for the info. Approx how far to walk from OPT......is it uphill. Usually we have each, carryon size and one other. DH really would like me to pack less lol.

I believe we all can come unto a thread and ask our questions if it pertains to the area we are visiting and it isn't hijacking. We are here to assist.:)

Hugh are there good restaurants around the Meriton Apts on Pitt.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

• 1 month later...

Chris

Chris,

My wife and I are on the cruise with you, and are looking for the same info. Nice questions and very helpful responses. Let us know what you decide, because I am still trying to decide myself.

Jim

Chris,

My wife and I are on the cruise with you, and are looking for the same info. Nice questions and very helpful responses. Let us know what you decide, because I am still trying to decide myself.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have checked out so many nd think we will stay in The Rocks area. Trying to narrow it down to at least 3 and then decide. So far Holiday Inn Old Sydney is one, maybe we can help each other out lol. We will stay three nights. All flights booked and hotels in LB the QM and one near lax before our flight out on the 26h. Hoping to find hotel with free wifi and airport shuttle and quite close to public transportation to sites and free bus along George st.

Hi

We have provisionally booked Mariners Court in this area. Sydney is so big and not know what area is best.

Is this an okay place?

Looks like a budget hostel type, quite a way out of the way to anything except the Naval docks. The Loo is an interesting place with a couple of nice bars but it is too far from the center of Sydney. You will be doing lots of walking. If you are looking for low cost accomm then you cant go wrong with the YHA in the Rocks as previously suggested. Much closer to the action and at least you get a view. Just my opinion.

Looks like a budget hostel type, quite a way out of the way to anything except the Naval docks. The Loo is an interesting place with a couple of nice bars but it is too far from the center of Sydney. You will be doing lots of walking. If you are looking for low cost accomm then you cant go wrong with the YHA in the Rocks as previously suggested. Much closer to the action and at least you get a view. Just my opinion.

Hi casamanda,

Thanks for the reply, will look around the Rocks and see what is good for us. We are have having three nights in Hong Kong on the way back so looking to keep where we sleep on a budget.

We have booked the York by Swiss bel-hotel International. Any feedback on this hotel? It seemed to be close to many of the activities considering we will be in town during Australia day (Jan. 24 to 27, 2015). Thanks so much for all the great tips and help for our trip to "Down Under"!

We have booked the York by Swiss bel-hotel International. Any feedback on this hotel? It seemed to be close to many of the activities considering we will be in town during Australia day (Jan. 24 to 27, 2015). Thanks so much for all the great tips and help for our trip to "Down Under"!

You should be just fine there, its a suite style boutique hotel at the top of York Street.

Could be a little noisy with morning peak hour traffic coming off the harbour bridge but the hotel is well situated being close to transport and easy walk to most venues. The intersection forms a 5-way giving good pedestrian access to The Rocks area, Darling Harbour and downtown Sydney.

Have a look at Google Maps and you can see that you could make up a nice walk by following Kent St to the north and detouring to the Sydney Observatory then onto the Harbour Bridge main deck. You could either continue your free walk across the bridge and return by train or take the stairs into the Rocks or the roadway from the observatory into Argyle Place etc. the hotel should be able to help out with maps

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda