Galveston Says, Pay Up

mit01

Not sure if this was posted yet...From the Cruise Critic News Shorts..

Duty-free shopping isn't duty free anymore if you're disembarking a cruise in Galveston now that the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission has begun charging importation taxes on all alcohol and cigarette purchases made by cruise passengers during their cruises. The tax applies to purchases made at foreign ports of call as well as at onboard duty-free shops. Tax collection points will be set up in terminal 1 and 2 at the Galveston port near where cruisers come through the U.S. Customs secondary checkpoint. Passengers can pay the tax with either cash or credit card. In fall 2014, the Commission will begin collecting the same tax from cruise passengers returning to Houston-Bayport.

Edited by mit01

Its a State of Texas Law,

and Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission (TABC) enforces it!

Its always been enforced on the border from Mexico.

However not many cross over into border towns anymore.

It will be enforced also at Bayport Cruise Terminal Houston.

Presume you will have to fill out declaration form just as always,

and then be subject to inspection additionally as always!

Edited by ssb

Yet another reason not to cruise from Galveston, as if we needed one!

Then by all means, stay away from Galveston... PLEASE, stay in Alabama.

Just out of curiosity, what ridiculous amount of alcohol and cigarettes are people bringing back, that this would even cause someone to bat an eye over?? :confused:

How does Texas get away with that? Did Congress give it the authority to do so? According to the US Constitution (Article 1, Section 10), "no state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing its inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the Treasury of the United States..."

GREED! :mad:

Well not really, they've just decided to do their state tax differently. No income tax, yes others.

A NYT article from 5/2013 sums it up in the headline:

The Joys of No Income Tax, the Agonies of Other Kinds.

So no more or less greedy than another state, just a different approach.

Contrary to opinion in some circles, Texas is strapped for cash. We have a budget deficit and they need a way to make up for it so they are now collecting taxes based on 40 year old laws so they can say they never raised taxes. The sad part is that the "Administrative Fee" is now sometimes MORE than the tax.

Just out of curiosity, what ridiculous amount of alcohol and cigarettes are people bringing back, that this would even cause someone to bat an eye over?? :confused:

It's just laughable and greedy. Unfortunately we don't have ships sailing from Alabama or I would :rolleyes:. We'll stick with Florida.

Theres no reason to take it personally. However, clearly, most traveling passengers would rather stay away from disastrous embarkation/disembarkation, cold sea days, fog delays, and hour drives from airport to seaport.

It's just laughable and greedy. Unfortunately we don't have ships sailing from Alabama or I would :rolleyes:. We'll stick with Florida.

Theres no reason to take it personally. However, clearly, most traveling passengers would rather stay away from disastrous embarkation/disembarkation, cold sea days, fog delays, and hour drives from airport to seaport.

I guess that is why no one sails in Europe:rolleyes:

Ports are located on water. Most major cities are inland.

It is amazing how countries were discovered since there were cold sea days, fog and no major cities on the water:rolleyes:

I believe we had 2 fog days last year. Queen Mary was covered with snow yesterday.

Many ports are an hour or more to airports.

We have had an hour drive's from airport to port in Florida, have missed flights due to long disembarkation and flight delays due to tornados.

Never said we would not go back to Florida. It is all part of travelling.

Sorry traveling isn't convenient for you.

It's a storm in a teacup. People who like Galveston will continue to cruise from there, people who don't like it will find another port. $5.50 cost for a gallon isn't going to change too many people's choice, itinerary, cruise cost and efficiency at the port will be the deciders. If collection of the fee disrupts debarkation, that could have an effect.

I don't buy liquor on the ship or the islands, too much hassle flying home.

Enjoy your snow and cold:)

65 here today and sunny.

We wont talk about how cold it was last mon/Tuesday in Galveston or how it might snow in Houston this mon/tuesday;)

I cant wait to get home to SF tonight and have normal weather:eek:

Back to the thread

If the reasoning for taxing the liquor is because there is no state tax

why doesnt Florida tax on duty free liqour

Edited by jonbgd

How does Texas get away with that? Did Congress give it the authority to do so? According to the US Constitution (Article 1, Section 10), "no state shall, without the consent of Congress, lay any imposts or duties on imports or exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing its inspection laws: and the net produce of all duties and imposts, laid by any state on imports or exports, shall be for the use of the Treasury of the United States..."

Probably because Texas is actually a republic.

Unless something has changed, the Texas taxes are for Texas residents only.
I don't and never have been been a Texas resident, but I have been charged and paid tax on liquor to Texas when crossing by land into El Paso and when transiting DFW and IAH. My protestation that I was immediately catching another plane out of Texas made no difference. Looking at the rate chart posted by footzz it is interesting that on a "fifth" the tax is only 50 cents, but the "admin fee" is six times that. In principle I agree with Zedjp3 that this is unconstitutional, but I imagine their lawyers would argue that it is not an import tax, but rather a use or consumption tax (a rather specious argument if I am taking an immediate flight out, with zero consumption having occurred).

Thom

Probably because Texas is actually a republic.

I wasn't educated in the American school system and so I'm not too familiar with US history. However, my attempts to learn a few things have brought me to believer, rightly or wrongly, that Texas is a State, but they are the only state which has reserved the right to retract their statehood. They became a state in 1845, then as a slave state, withdrew from the Union and joined the Confederacy in 1861. After the Civil War, they again became a state as part of the Union. The fact that Texas is still a Republic is an urban myth.

I don't and never have been been a Texas resident, but I have been charged and paid tax on liquor to Texas when crossing by land into El Paso and when transiting DFW and IAH. My protestation that I was immediately catching another plane out of Texas made no difference. Looking at the rate chart posted by footzz it is interesting that on a "fifth" the tax is only 50 cents, but the "admin fee" is six times that. In principle I agree with Zedjp3 that this is unconstitutional, but I imagine their lawyers would argue that it is not an import tax, but rather a use or consumption tax (a rather specious argument if I am taking an immediate flight out, with zero consumption having occurred).

Thom

As I mentioned previously: GREED! :mad:

It would be one thing if it was only assessed on Texas residents or if you purchase the liquor in Texas, but assessing it on people transiting the state by air, car, or leaving a cruiseship is wrong. Just one more way to fleece cruise folks!

We wont talk about how cold it was last mon/Tuesday in Galveston or how it might snow in Houston this mon/tuesday;)

I cant wait to get home to SF tonight and have normal weather:eek:

Back to the thread

If the reasoning for taxing the liquor is because there is no state tax

why doesnt Florida tax on duty free liqour

Yes you will be getting out of here to avoid some cold weather!

Enjoy your normal weather as you say!

:eek:Like this in SF?

Posted knowing you have a sense of humor not like some others!

Will look forward to cruising with you Jon and Lisa

1897233282_FogSanFrancisco.jpg.ddc24507e889108d90733d0ad26a5e0b.jpg

Edited by ssb