What is required if only one parent is traveling with teen?

What if only one parent is traveling with a 15 year old? I am taking my son in March but my wife (his mom) can't go. What else would I need besides the passport? Is a letter required in this instance? Anything else?

I keep forgetting to research this and still have plenty of time until we board but another post reminded me of it and thought I would just ask Cruise Critic for some direction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

What if only one parent is traveling with a 15 year old? I am taking my son in March but my wife (his mom) can't go. What else would I need besides the passport? Is a letter required in this instance? Anything else?

I keep forgetting to research this and still have plenty of time until we board but another post reminded me of it and thought I would just ask Cruise Critic for some direction.

Thanks in advance for the help.

On the 3 Royal cruises I took my now 13 year old daughter I needed nothing.

Providing same surname no issues was what I was told prior to my Oasis cruise in December 2012.

You will need a notarized letter from your spouse granting you permission to leave the United States with your child.

Other people say you do not need this letter. That is not true. They have just not been asked for this type of documentation. They are telling you the truth as far as their experience. If you do not have a notarized letter as stated above and they ask you for it, which is a fair shot honestly if they would ask you, you will not board the ship. Period.

You will need a notarized letter from your spouse granting you permission to leave the United States with your child.

Other people say you do not need this letter. That is not true. They have just not been asked for this type of documentation. They are telling you the truth as far as their experience. If you do not have a notarized letter as stated above and they ask you for it, which is a fair shot honestly if they would ask you, you will not board the ship. Period.

Thank you for your assessment of the situation. I figured I would have to get a letter together and probably would have done so regardless but it is still good to hear some reinforcement of this decision. And it is true that some people have different experiences and I would hate to go off of theirs only to be denied boarding because I wasn't in legal compliance and I was chosen by somebody that day who wanted to enforce the policy.

This is great information. Thank you. Now I know exactly what the letter needs to say and there is some good background not only on what is needed but also why it is needed. Thanks for posting this link.

On the 3 Royal cruises I took my now 13 year old daughter I needed nothing.

Providing same surname no issues was what I was told prior to my Oasis cruise in December 2012.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I should have a letter just in case they ask and it appears it is not an RCCL thing but a US Customs rule. So maybe there is some lack in enforcement of it or you were not asked because your cruises were not originating in the US? Or maybe they were, it is hard to tell which three you were talking about from the cruises you have listed. In any case, I appreciate the input.

I had a letter notarized by my spouse (DD dad) and the dates of travel; places we were going. I never needed it; but was glad to have it just in case. No problems flying or getting on the ship. But do suggest you bring the form regardless.

There are several forms on the internet; but anything giving you permission would be good.

Edit to add: we flew from Montana to San Juan and back...cruised on the Adventure of the Seas

Edited by Mach1

We have never needed any note whatsoever, and we have traveled to many countries, by ship & plane.

If you are a US citizen and traveling with your child under 16, carry a passport. You have to have both parents' signatures to get a passport providing both parents are alive. If only one parent alive, then you provide a death certificate to get the passport.

Carrying a valid passport for your child is the best to travel with a child 16 and under for US citizens.

If not your child, you would need the note. ( which should be notarized)

Some cruise lines can and have refused boarding if you are bringing a bunch of under 16 kids unrelated to the adults.

Edited by cruizefam
addition

Thanks for the input. It looks like I should have a letter just in case they ask and it appears it is not an RCCL thing but a US Customs rule. So maybe there is some lack in enforcement of it or you were not asked because your cruises were not originating in the US? Or maybe they were' date=' it is hard to tell which three you were talking about from the cruises you have listed. In any case, I appreciate the input.[/quote']

Below is Royal Caribbean reply to me about my December 2012 cruise on Oasis of the seas from Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in

response.

You do not need to bring any documentation, her passport is sufficient. You

would only need to bring supporting documents if you did not have the same

surname, and as this is not the case and you are her father no further

documentation is needed.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards

absolutely no letter needed.

absolutely no letter needed.

Verbatim from the US Customs and Border Patrol link above

"While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed"

It seems to me that if you know that ahead of time you are only gambling not to have such letter and that there is no logical reason not to carry one in a travel circumstance. "Absolutely" is too strong a word in this instance.

And this is absolutely terrible advice.

Got to love people post here with no clue what they are talking about. Just as every story posted here NO letter is needed. Does a widow need a death certificate? A single mom that may have no contact with the dad? Husband in the military? Some people need to use that thing on their shoulders just a little more. :rolleyes:

What a freaking joke of a thread! You have one side saying you don't need any documentation (as explained by Royal Caribbean) and another side stating you do (as evidenced by Customs) but yet, those who did have documentation never needed them. This thread is about as pointless as a political debate.

Edited by Erik101

You have one side saying you don't need any documentation (as explained by Royal Caribbean)

You mean the company that gives you a different answer every time you call about any topic should suddenly be trusted 100% as to the answer that would prevent you from boarding a ship? It really doesn't matter if you have your answer diamond encrusted and gold trimmed from Royal Caribbean with names and dates, etc. Why? Because you need to deal with CBP still to get through the security check point and I assure you, 100%, they don't care what the cruise line says you do or do not need.

and another side stating you do but yet, those who did have documentation never needed them.

That is actually from US Customs and Border Patrol. They state you need the letter. The OP asked "What is required." If they ask for it, it is a requirement. If you don't have it you will be detained. Why is that so hard to understand?

Given that you HAVE the information directly from CBP it is totally illogical ignore it. You may do so if you wish, but don't complain if you are asked for the papers and can't board the ship because you don't have them. You may never be asked for them, but the one time you don't have them and need them...

This thread is pointless just like a political debate.

Because it isn't a debate? Someone asked "What is required". A number of us have stated what the REQUIREMENT says. Check the link from US Customs and Border Patrol. Their statement isn't an opinion. I don't think having a debate at the pier will get you anywhere with a CBP agent. Having the letter they tell you to have is the best course of action to ensure no travel delays or detainment that could result in you missing your vacation...at your expense.

Thanks for the input. It looks like I should have a letter just in case they ask and it appears it is not an RCCL thing but a US Customs rule. So maybe there is some lack in enforcement of it or you were not asked because your cruises were not originating in the US? Or maybe they were' date=' it is hard to tell which three you were talking about from the cruises you have listed. In any case, I appreciate the input.[/quote']

Acutally, it is not a US Customs rule, if you read the link. Although it is strongly recommended, US does not require it. However, other countries can require it, and it is easier to have it, than not to have it, and research everyone's rules.

Just to go beyond the opnions here. Why is this a law?

The law was passed to prevent one parent from preventing the other parent from having custody or even visatation of the child by going to another country, typically without an extradition treaty with the US. Notable examples in the past are usally middle eastern countries and usually it is the father but mothers have done it also.

If you are in a normal marriage or even a reasonable divorce situtuation, you may not think a thing about traveling with your child and not the other parent. Many parents on the other hand for spite to get at the other parent look for any way possible to denigh custody or visits. Put your self in the absent parent's shoes who's child is being taken out of the country to prevent them from having their visit or court granted custody. Do you want RCI to ask to see that letter if you are that parent? I for one do and have always got the letter, and frankly I always ask do you want to see my letter when I check in.

The fact is RCI is lax about enforcing the law because violations where they travel are rare and may not have happend at all and therefore, they have not been sued. The first time you hear of a parent taking their child on a crusie and jumping ship and flying to some nonextrditing country you will find that RCI will inforce the law.

Consider this RCI sometimes is very strict about taking the rum runners and bottles out luggage and sometimes they arn't but it is always against policy and the cruise contract even states you can be denied boarding and this does happen a few times a year.

I knew this would get heated when I read the title, but it took even less time than I thought, lol.

In all seriousness, the answer really is, "it depends." On a closed-loop cruise, with both the parent and child traveling with passports and having the same last name, that is all you need. Traveling withing the U.S. is pretty much the same. My son and I have been cruising and flying a lot for a good 15+ years now, and I have never been asked for anything other than passports. But for a land crossing, say between the U.S. and Canada or Mexico, you will almost certainly need a notarized letter from the absent parent.

There's logical reason for all of this -- a parent trying to kidnap their child isn't usually going to get on a closed-loop cruise, and that is why Customs officials pay more attention to parents crossing a border alone with a child.

Cruise lines did used to require such a letter... and finally they realized that our (single parents without access to said letter) money spends just as well as anyone else's, and that it didn't make sense to alienate a whole segment of their target audience when the risk was so very low. I'm sure they had plenty of statistics involving domestic kidnappings to back up their decision, but bottom line is that all the major cruiselines dropped the letter requirement years ago. And that's just the truth of it, not my opinion. :)

if you follow the sample on the Customs web site.. it might take all of 5 mins to crank out the letter. then maybe a couple of dollars to get it notarized. yeah, the odds are long that you will be asked for it but you might run into a new guy who is actually awake so..

I knew this would get heated when I read the title, but it took even less time than I thought, lol.

In all seriousness, the answer really is, "it depends." On a closed-loop cruise, with both the parent and child traveling with passports and having the same last name, that is all you need. Traveling withing the U.S. is pretty much the same. My son and I have been cruising and flying a lot for a good 15+ years now, and I have never been asked for anything other than passports. But for a land crossing, say between the U.S. and Canada or Mexico, you will almost certainly need a notarized letter from the absent parent.

There's logical reason for all of this -- a parent trying to kidnap their child isn't usually going to get on a closed-loop cruise, and that is why Customs officials pay more attention to parents crossing a border alone with a child.

Cruise lines did used to require such a letter... and finally they realized that our (single parents without access to said letter) money spends just as well as anyone else's, and that it didn't make sense to alienate a whole segment of their target audience when the risk was so very low. I'm sure they had plenty of statistics involving domestic kidnappings to back up their decision, but bottom line is that all the major cruiselines dropped the letter requirement years ago. And that's just the truth of it, not my opinion. :)

That is the difference between policy and law. They may choose not to enforce the law, but it is still the law and it will take but a single public violation and custody case to bring it back. If you don't have access to the letter because of an obstinate parent I understand it's probably not much of a risk to travel without it, but if it is easy to get because both parents are agreeable then why not?

My step kids have a different last name and an absent parent. Up until the time they were 16 we traveled with a letter we got from a witness that we hoped would work. We were never asked, but we always worried when boarding.

Thanks everyone for their replies......I think.

Sorry, I didn't know it was such a hot button issue. I just figured there was a clear answer that would be easy and relatively non controversial....boy was I wrong. But I still do appreciate all of the input because hearing both sides of an issue is the only way you can be fully informed to make a decision.

From the contradicting advice, it is easy to see that a letter may or may no be required (legally or otherwise) and most likely won't be asked for. However, I agree with Sherlock43031, the letter will not take but a couple minutes to write, there is no issue with DW signing it and I have a notary here at work who will do it for free. So it only makes sense to go ahead and do it but realize I most likely won't need it during the trip. For me it will just be a piece of mind thing.

And, macruisefan, you win the prize for the most accurate post of the thread- a bar stool and happy hour is definately required, no conflicting opinions there :)