Debarkation - FLL Airport

We are sailing on the Allure out of Fll.

DEBARKATION QUESTION

We booked our flight out of FLL for 12:59...We do not want to do the self service option and have to lug our own suitcases off the ship, unless we have to...Since the airport is so close to the pier, does anybody think we wouldn't be able to go through the regular debarkation and still arrive to the airport by11:00am?

You should be fine doing regular debarkation...you can always ask for an early departure luggage tag...they start boarding new passenger's usually by 11:30 so my guess is even with the last group you'd be off by 10:30..

You should be fine but I would highly recommend the valet service(if available on your airline) for $20 each that will send your luggage directly to the airport. You won't have to mess with it until you get to your home airport.

You should be fine but I would highly recommend the valet service(if available on your airline) for $20 each that will send your luggage directly to the airport. You won't have to mess with it until you get to your home airport.

In addition to... as long as their scheduled departure flight is no earlier than 11:30am they will have this option.

Edited by Ashland

You will be fine. If you do not use the valet service, as you go into the luggage terminal, grab a porter and he will get your bags, and get you outside in no time and grab you a taxi. They just seem to have a real talent for getting that taxi very quickly. ;)

You will be fine. If you do not use the valet service, as you go into the luggage terminal, grab a porter and he will get your bags, and get you outside in no time and grab you a taxi. They just seem to have a real talent for getting that taxi very quickly. ;)

Using a porter avoids having to stand in the taxi line and wait your turn for the next one up :confused:

Yes, you absolutely can make that flight, but personally, I wouldn't wait to be in the last group. I know it's tempting to hang around the ship to avoid the airport, but do remember that potentially hundreds or thousands of your newest, bestest friends will also be making their way to the airport. I would rather be waiting at the airport, comfortably through security, than hanging back and stressing about making it.

Using a porter avoids having to stand in the taxi line and wait your turn for the next one up :confused:

Exactly. He takes you and your luggage thru the customs line. When you get outside he will break away and grab you a taxi. They walk right out into the street. Don't forget to tip. Sometimes if it is very crowded we will hold up our tip as we get into the luggage terminal. Works like a charm. It is nice to get to the airport before the buses of cruisers arrive. Ask to be in one of the first groups called off. :D

Edited by janetz

Exactly. He takes you and your luggage thru the customs line. When you get outside he will break away and grab you a taxi. They walk right out into the street. Don't forget to tip. Sometimes if it is very crowded we will hold up our tip as we get into the luggage terminal. Works like a charm. It is nice to get to the airport before the buses of cruisers arrive. Ask to be in one of the first groups called off. :D[/quote

Thanks for the info..but I guess I'm one of those that doesn't mind waiting my turn in line...but this might be helpful for those that don't or can't.

We are sailing on the Allure out of Fll.

DEBARKATION QUESTION

We booked our flight out of FLL for 12:59...We do not want to do the self service option and have to lug our own suitcases off the ship, unless we have to...Since the airport is so close to the pier, does anybody think we wouldn't be able to go through the regular debarkation and still arrive to the airport by11:00am?

Yes plenty of time.

We made our air reservation around 3:30 pm, and when we got to the airport around 10:00 am, they refused to check our luggage so early. We were stuck in front of the check-in deck for a couple of hours. This is the ONLY airport that's done that.

When we got through security, the place was jammed, and we had to move to a different gate to find two seats together.

Edited by knittinggirl

The luggage valet is a very good service and worth the $20, however either way whether you use it or pick up the luggage in the terminal it will take no less than 45 minutes to get through the line, so allow plenty of time. There are 2 lines, one just inside the terminal to get from upstairs to downstairs, then this breaks into a line to the customs line and a line to collect your luggage. RCI tries to manage the people in the queue by getting passengers to leave the ship at specific times but some people elect to self disembark whenever they want and this is whey the first line inside the terminal can be long as RCI can't control the people who self disembark, even though they are encouraged to disembark before 7.30 am.

It is a well organised process but there are 6000 passengers getting off the ship between 6.00 am or a bit later and 10.30 am. Hope this is useful information.

We did use the valet service but had to battle through both lines. I have given feedback to RCI suggesting that they create a luggage valet / consecutive cruiser "in transit" line for people without luggage.