The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

Good mroning all...

you are all correct we had no satellite reception yesterday but this morning all is well again. I am sure that Ruth will be writing later.

Seas are very calm again since day before yesterday when they were 20-30'...not like two years ago in this area when they were 46'!! So far I guess all engines are working, although one can't tell because we are only cruising at 17.4 knots.

more from Ruth later!

Liz

Is the satellite back? Sure hope so as this is my third (and final) attempt to post about Nuuk.

We had a smooth sail into Nuuk yesterday; more importantly, we had a smooth sail out. No big storm; no waves breeching doors on upper decks; no diners tipping over in their chairs. Whew.

Nuuk is Greenland's capital---but you'd never know it to look at it. There are no high buildings, no busy "downtown". I remember one traffic light from the tour I took.

There is a (small) museum a few hundred feet from the tender dock, and The (also small) Cathedral of Greenland (Lutheran) a short walk in the other direction. That's it---nothing else to see.

Except icebergs. We have seen a few of those so far. Even some of those were small.

We have lost three hours of sleep and have three more to lose before things get stable. Something new on this cruise: when we turn the clocks forward the show for late sitting is at 6:45.

Good idea.

Hi Ruth, Glad to see that the satellite is working again. I missed my daily fix yesterday of the "happy Wanderer". All is well now as I got my fix this morning. I guess you had a nice day in Nuuk yesterday as you got off the ship. You are correct about Nuuk. Nothing to see. I bet you are glad that you had a smooth sailing OUT of Nuuk. No 45 foot waves!!!!! I like the idea of having the second show at 6:45 when you change clocks. It is especially good for an early bird like me. Wouldn't think it would matter to a night owl like you. Any reports on the Piano Bar yet? It has been a week since you sailed and we have heard nothing. What about Trivia? I know Mickey asked you about that. I know you miss your expert team from last year...lol Enjoy the Black and White Ball tonight. May you dance till you drop. Until the next time, Adele

I actually have supper pretending that I'm still on the ship. I'll have a roll, as if I were in a covered basket, the whole supper thing. It's a lousy imitation, but the Maasdam thread keeps me going until my next trip. I don't know if the imagination will last for the next 15 months, but I'll try.

Pleased to see you back on line!

For those on the Rotterdam to Boston leg, we are still looking for anyone who would like to share a cab to Honfleur from Le Harve and back on August 3rd. Contact me at dobrien1@msn.com.

We’re leaving now for Paris, Brugge and Rotterdam. Looking for to meeting CC’ers on August 2nd!

A few random thoughts after the first week of cruising:

Every opportunity to "sell" is exploited. :(

At the Sail-A-Way party in Boston we would expect to have the cruise staff introduced and play a few games for a free drink. Not this year. This time we were introduced to the art auctioneer, spa manager, and (IIRC) the shops manager. The same folks were introduced on stage the first night.

Today the Crow's Nest was prime real estate for viewing Prins Christian Sound. A table was set up---using valuable space---to sell HAL merchandise.

Why is the very popular Team Trivia scheduled for the Crow's Nest (necessary size) at the same time that it will be used for scenic cruising? :confused:

This has been the first time I sailed Prins Christian Sound with patches of blue sky. It's been an interesting play of light and shadow.

Very beautiful. :)

We had to "surrender" our passports today. Does that mean if I neglect to pick it up I have to keep cruising? :D

Why do readers take front row seats in the Crow's Nest during scenic cruising? :rolleyes:

My impression of cruise ships, from my first day on one, is that they are floating malls. After that awakening, I thoroughly enjoyed them through however many cruises I've taken.

One of the most enjoyable things about the World Tour on the Prinsendam was the lowkey approach to selling. We would get a flyer now and then, and the daily program would advise of special presentations to introduce something, but it was never an "in your face, can't get away from it" type of approach. Merchandise was for sale either in the shop or just outside of the shop. I've been on other ships where the doors to the show lounge were partially blocked by merchandise tables. (Where's a fire marshall when you need one?)

Art auctions occupied most of the Ocean Bar for a few hours on a few days at the start and near the end of the cruise. That was the only time I can recall having a public area tied up for merchandising purposes... but you could get to the bar for a drink.

We're probably forever spoiled, having experienced that type of cruise:)

Grumpy

Yes (Kitty Kallen) little things do mean a lot! I agree with you on your thoughts, especially scheduling Trivia games in the same lounge other things are happening. Continue to "always look on the bright side of life"........jean

Obriendan,

Hope you get to Honfleur. I saw the harbor there at dawn one June day in 1960. With the mists rolling across the water and the ancient buildings on the hillside, it was easy to imagine Jacques Cartier setting sail from there to explore the New World.

That was the moment when this gal stopped fearing The Bomb and the End of the World. I could see the evidence before me that mortals can do their worst, but our world will endure.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ruth,

Yes, the sale is more important than the sailing.

Along those lines, if you're in the Crow's at night, ask the DJ to play a Bob Marley song. I need to know whether I have to buy another disc for when we're aboard next year.

Continue to enjoy the crossing. It's a good sign when the passport is surrendered. It means some relaxing days at sea are ahead before ``land ho.''

Honfleur is such a charming town. We have been so fortunate to have visited twice and I would always welcome a chance to return. DH took the tour to the D-Day Beaches the first time we were there while I roamed the pretty town. Every inch of that place is picture beautiful. I raved so about it the first time that when we returned a few years later on Rotterdam, DH refused to do another all day tour as he wanted to visit Honfleur itself and was happy he did.

Ruth - "Say It Isn't So" (or am I the only one old enough to know that song?) We have just decided to book two more HAL cruises after some less than pleasant experiences with RCI. We have sailed on both lines many times and decided to spend our remaining years sailing with the dignity that we have always found on HAL. I can overlook a small amount of annoyance when it comes to the sell, sell, sell attitude that seems to accompany cruising these days. However, if I want to enjoy the Crow's Nest, by golly I want to ENJOY the Crow's nest! I love reading your posts and hope you are having a wonderful time even without Perry Grant.

It's been a full week of evenings in the Piano Bar and I'm still not sure what I think. Bill Forrest is far from the worst I've seen, but he's not the best, either. He is the only game in town and does provide some good entertainment during each evening.

Bill prefers rock and roll and music from a later era than I enjoy. So far he's had several theme nights (actually, an hour of the night) in tribute to Elvis, Elton John, and The Beatles.

To his credit he recognized right off that this isn't the kind of crowd he's been used to and he's added a few songs from the 50's and 40's. He's now planning George Gershwin and Cole Porter nights (good), but he doesn't know Begin The Beguine (bad).

His keyboard work can be excellent; he's no vocalist.

All in all this is not what I would ask for in a Piano Bar, but it does provide enough that I'm still there when it's midnight and the bar closes down.

I've done worse.

confidential to bj: I know the song well.

Ruth, Well we finally heard about the piano bar. Can't be all bad if you close the joint. Sounds like I might like him more than you do as I like Elton john and the Beatles. At least he is playing some variety andsome "older" tunes. You have to give the man credit for realizing that he is playing to a different crowd than he is used to. What about the dance hosts? Are they a waste or can they actually dance? Do they ask only certain people or a they making the rounds? Details, please!!!! What about the Black and white Ball? Did you have fun? Did you dance till you dropped? Details, Please!!! Enjoy your day in Reykjavik tomorrow. What are planning on doing there this year? You have seen and done a lot. Details, please!!!!! You must now be four hours ahead of New York time as I know Iceland is four hours ahead. Waiting patiently for the next installment. Till then........ Adele

We got stood up by the whales.

At least that's how TedC put it, anyway. The story is I skipped last night's show---even skipped visiting any lounges---so I could get to bed early. The alarm was set for 6:00 AM so I could join TedC and his wife Cathy on a whale-watching excursion in Reykjavik. We were never picked up.

grannynurse can tell you what it feels like to be left standing on the dock while everyone else goes off---same thing happened to her last year.

Instead we hopped the shuttle ($4.00 each way) to town where we were let off in front of a very good (and familiar) shop. I was able to find exact duplicates of woolen mittens I ruined shoveling snow. (That'll teach me to shovel snow!). Then we took a double decker bus for a tour around the town. It's a hop on-hop-off bus that goes to the museum, The Pearl, through the forest (never knew that was there!). Then back to what has become a delightfully sunny day.

Another life boat drill in 10 minutes. Then I have to go to Mass to try and make up for missing yesterday. Mass is in the theatre at 5:00. Also a movie at the same time.

Maybe they're running The Ten Commandments and counting it for both?

confidential to mariner: I checked with Craig---the Assistance Cruise Director/ DJ. He says he has Bob Marley CD's. I say you can always bring your own to be sure.

Hi Ruth, Sorry to hear that you got stood up today. To think that you even gave up going to the Piano Bar to go to bed early. You got up at SIX!!!! I didn't know you were aware that there is also a 6:00AM...lol Sounds like you turned what could have been a bad day into a good day. The tour you described seemed to hit many sights. Oh the Pearl!!! I just love it there. Did ya miss me there. We went there last year on our way back from our taxi ride. Another lifeboat drill already? How fun!!! I know how much you enjoy those boat drills. You don't have me there to talk to this year either. How Boring!!!! Hope you have a peaceful sea day tomorrow before you hit the Shetland Islands. Till the next time..... Adele

During my last boat drill, I fell asleep standing up. At one point, the person next to me starting jabbing me and, when I came to, said, "You can wake up now; the drill is over." I have the ability to fall asleep in any position, under any circumstances (including during a 10-15 minute tender ride near the engine).

Archived