The Happy Wanderer (reprise)

RuthC

I have the ability to fall asleep in any position, under any circumstances (including during a 10-15 minute tender ride near the engine).

Tom, is this a fairly recent thing? Or did you listener's "back in the day" sometimes hear a long Scriiiiiiiiiiitch, thump, scriiiiiiiiiiitch, thump at the end of the song?

Grumpy

When I had to run consecutive 23-minute tapes from the Mutual network on Sunday nights, I could sleep in 20-minute segments (when necessary), wake up, roll the next tape, and fall asleep again.

Right now, doing news, I can fall asleep during taped inserts of, say, 4:00 minutes length and wake up 3:50 into them. Don't know how; I can just do it. Too many meds.

Good morning (now we are four hours ahead of EDT)

We are now cruising in the Norwegian Sea with seas running around 10-15' (they say 4-7' on the board but I don't believe that). Unfortunately we are having the Mariner's Parties today at 11:00 and 1:00pm for late seating...ugh! I hate the parties during the day!! Think I will tell the Captain this when we get up for the photo sessions.

Enjoyed dinner at the Captain's Table a few nights ago (our last formal night). Tonight again is formal so hope the seas calm down some.

Great to see the sun in Reykjavik yesterday. We had had so much fog from St.John's that we wondered if the sun was still there. Today is partly cloudy but at least we get to see the sky once in awhile.

Have met many folks we sailed with on the 2001 WC...familiary faces at first and now we finally know their names.

All for now as I don't want to take away from what Ruth writes.

Liz

We are currently cruising in the Atlantic Sea and tomorrow at 10am we will be in the Shetlands.

I cannot believe that in a weeks time we will be disembarking. It has been a wonderful cruise with great weather and exciting ports of call, so far off the beaten track.

We loved cruising the Prince Christian Sound on Sunday. It was a huge highlight with great scenary and of course the icebergs.

We have enjoyed chatting to some of our C.C. friends each day. I must admit that we feel very young on this trip as the average age would have to be 75+.

At lunchtime today we had the Mariners Party and there were so many mariners receiving their 100 day medals plus 300 and 500. We also had a couple whom have done over 2500 days. Peter and I worked out that in all our married years we have not even notched up that amount of vacation time! What a record.

We will be off to Switzerland next Tuesday and then on to Singapore and home. It has been a fantastic trip so far.

Jennie

We are currently cruising in the Atlantic Sea and tomorrow at 10am we will be in the Shetlands.

I cannot believe that in a weeks time we will be disembarking. It has been a wonderful cruise with great weather and exciting ports of call, so far off the beaten track.

We loved cruising the Prince Christian Sound on Sunday. It was a huge highlight with great scenary and of course the icebergs.

We have enjoyed chatting to some of our C.C. friends each day. I must admit that we feel very young on this trip as the average age would have to be 75+.

At lunchtime today we had the Mariners Party and there were so many mariners receiving their 100 day medals plus 300 and 500. We also had a couple whom have done over 2500 days. Peter and I worked out that in all our married years we have not even notched up that amount of vacation time! What a record.

We will be off to Switzerland next Tuesday and then on to Singapore and home. It has been a fantastic trip so far.

Jennie

My parents (GroverKids - Bill & Patti) were amoung those recieving their 100 day medals :)

Ruth,

Are there "Dance Hosts," (not Gentlemen Hosts) on this sailing? We had such fun taking dance lessons with last year's intructors, on the Rotterdam. That's the first cruise we'd had professional instrutors onboard, instead of volunteers or Cast members. Great fun! Is Maurice back with Barbershop singing? It's fun joining you on this cruise through this thread and revisiting many of the ports we've seen, the past three years. Thank you for taking the time.

It's another sea day heading to Lerwick in the Shetland Islands. Tip to anyone who might visit there some day: don't ever tell a native that you're in "Scotland". Dem's fightin' words.

HAL took the opportunity to hold the Mariner's Parties late this morning and early this afternoon. Those with over 100 days entered first followed by those with fewer days---not like last year when those with the fewer days got the best seats!

Sometimes ya gotta love these stewards. RuthC had passed on a the free drink---trying to save her allottment for later---but her friendly, neighborhood steward saw that empty space and filled it with a great big glass of her favorite. What's a girl to do? I finished the drink, of course. :D

Some people prefer the Mariner's Party at night; some may prefer daytime. Since it's Formal tonight it would have been nice if we had been all dressed up for the party, but I also remember last year.

When everyone is a Mariner---most with medals---it takes a long time to recognize everyone. Last year people left for dinner before the last of the medals were presented and pictures taken. That was too bad for those who should have the biggest crowd.

So, today we gave up the luxury of fine clothing for the luxury of time.

tomc---we were to have been picked up at the Maasdam's dock and taken to the whale-watching boat; they didn't pick us up by car. When we got to town TedC walked over to inquire. I asked what they were going to do about it. Nothing. Sorry.

We made the best of it.

esther e---yes, it was a hop on-hop off bus. I remember two stops at least where you could get off, do your thing, then catch the next bus (an hour later).

bobpatj---hi. Pat! Yes, there are four Dance Hosts on board, but (typically) I haven't met any of them yet. No Maurice this year; or anyone like him, either. ;)

confidential to longtimecruiser---YIPPEE!!! (LizB1 gave me your news.)

Hi Ruth, First let me start by saying"YIPEE" is the right word for my good news and it is VERY good news. Thank you for your good words all the way from the Norwegian Sea. You are right about the Mariner's party. If it is held at night , as it was last year, people were leaving for dinner. Especially now with all these dining times. Everyone looked so elegant dressed in their finery(we hope they were dressed in their finery...lol). By having it in the day, people do have more time to enjoy the party and not worry about making dinner. I can see both sides. Hal seems to be getting more and more medal holders which takes longer. Hal will never please everyone. Hope you are still having nice weather. Enjoy your day in Lerwick tomorrow. Don't get run over by a sheep. We would miss you here on CC. Till the next installment, Adele

I am greatly enjoying this thread, and wish I were there ... I'd spin ya around the floor, Ruth, even if I'm not a "Gentleman Dance Host." :)

<sigh> It's late July, we're melting here in Texas, and I'm dreaming about being at sea while I've still got 3 full months and an odd number of days to wait until I board the Westerdam. The days are starting the crawl.

At least the 100 day medallion people were recognized! On the World Tour, the copper medallions were left on the bed the night before, to be worn to one of the two evening ceremonies. No individual 100 day mariners were recognized, just asked as a group to stand... Of course, everyone one board was, at minimum, a 25 day Mariner, and hundreds were 100 day mariners. All of the higher than 100 day categories were recognized by name. There were several in the "more than double the highest medal" category.

I'm enjoying riding along with you through tis thread. Keep up the good reporting.... all of you.

On my latest cruise, all we had (aside from the pins-only) were four pre-existing 100-days. So we were called up, photographed, applauded and felt grateful there were none higher than us. Usually, there are a few in the higher brackets, as well as someone with a phenomenal number of days who is carried to the stage on a stretcher, while his nurse handles the IV drip and oxygen tank.

someone with a phenomenal number of days who is carried to the stage on a stretcher, while his nurse handles the IV drip and oxygen tank.

Ruth, your room mate from a couple of years ago would smack Tomc upside the head and then dance for hours to celebrate, wouldn't she. The IV drip and oxygen tank are for the people half her age that try to keep up with the "Amazing Dolly"!, who has more days on HAL than anyone has been able to count.

330,000 sheep. 22,000 people. Several thousand less ponies in their namesake Shetland Islands.

We were treated to a bus tour stop where we were able to get out and watch some Shetland ponies. A few came over to the fence, and although we had been warned about biting, I did learn they will eat Milk Bone Dog Biscuits out of your hand.

I've been to Lerwick four times now; this time I took the tour over to the Atlantic Ocean side---a mere 7-10 miles as the crow flies. The tpur visited the ancient capital of Scalloway where there was an opportunity to explore the ruins of the castle. It's a nice place to visit, but.... It must have been awful trying to heat the place---and trying to breathe when you did.

After four nights at the wrong table I moved to find BickHAL and Suzy at my new place. I'm having a nice time with them---and the others, too. TedC and Cathy are delightful---I've spent quite a bit of time with them. I've spent a little time with Aussie Gal, deck chair, and today I finally got a chance to sit down and have a nice chat with Grover's Kids.

It's really great, when you board a ship alone, to have such nice people to meet up with right away.

These Cruise Critic get-togethers are a neat plan.

Well, as I look out the window I see a HM Coast Guard helecopter hovering over the bow.

Now what?

The tour visited the ancient capital of Scalloway where there was an opportunity to explore the ruins of the castle. It's a nice place to visit, but.... It must have been awful trying to heat the place---and trying to breathe when you did.

Well, as I look out the window I see a HM Coast Guard helecopter hovering over the bow.

Now what?

Hmm... you didn't liberate some unauthorized souvenirs from the castle, did you? :rolleyes:

Ruth, The tour you went on in Lerwick sounds like the one I went on last year. Saw a lot of the islands and MANY sheep. Took us to a nice hotel right at the castle ruins. There were also Shetland ponies to see and pet. Were you given tea and scones at the hotel? It is nice for solo travelers to meet people through CC. Sounds like you have just been chatting away with all the CCer's on board. We heard some about your table now what about your roomie? I assume you have one. I see that you are in port for the next four days in Norway. Enjoy Norway. I hope you don't have rain like we did last year. Till the next time. Adele

We have spent today in beautiful Bergen. What a lovely city and once again perfect weather with a temp of about 19C and the sun is shining.

I believe that yesterday in Lerwick, was the warmest day they have had all summer - 11C-14C. I would hate to be there in winter!

We did the Western Isle tour yesterday and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Today we went off on our own and saw the fish market, went up the funicular - wonderful views and just walked leisurely around.

Jennie

Cobblestones. After cruising this route so many times you'd think I'd remember the cobblestones. Nope. Not until I stepped off the ship after forgetting to switch to sturdy walking shoes did I remember how difficult it can be to walk in Northern Europe. :(

Let the cruise planner beware.

Today was Bergen, Norway---the second of five ports in a row, and the day after the final sleep loss. RuthC managed to enjoy it on five hours' sleep---she's still burning the candle at both ends.

Some people never learn. :rolleyes:

I started out on a city tour that included a walk through the open market district; this was formerly the area where the Hanseatic League was located. Then there was a ride up Mt. Floien on a funicular. The view was spectacular and the smell of fresh-cut grass delicious.

I returned to the Maasdam to remember there was no water from 10:00 AM -3:00 PM.---repair work on the pipes.

No hand washing. No teeth brushing. No showers. NO TOILETS!!! :eek:

Oh, well. It was necessary; we managed.

Tonight there will be a meeting of the Friends of RuthC.

Dessert Extravaganza is at 10:30. (Pant. Pant. Pant.) :D

Archived