Will iPhone erase my key card?

I'm thinking about buying a phone/ID combo lanyard, but I'm wondering if my iPhone will erase my key card if they are held close together the whole time. Anyone know?

The only thing that can mess up the strip on your SeaPass card is letting in come in contact with anything magnetic.

I'm thinking about buying a phone/ID combo lanyard, but I'm wondering if my iPhone will erase my key card if they are held close together the whole time. Anyone know?

Sorry I'm not very techno.....but all I can tell you is we demagnetized our Sea Pass twice by putting it in the same pants pocket as our cell phone.

Felt so dumb when Guest Services finally figured out what we were doing.....:o

In my experience, Seapasses seem to be more vulnerable to magnetic fields than other card-keys. I've even been told that a money clip will demagnetize them, although I can't see how, since mine is just a piece of metal, not even a folding hinge. But I manage to do it almost once every cruise.

Here's more than you want to know on the subject, LOL:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/magnets-wipe-out-credit-card-data-cell-phones-1272.php

On our last FOS cruise my wife sent through 3 sea passes. They are very sensitive.

I messed up a hotel key-card by carrying it next to my iphone.

So I'd guess you should avoid.

I messed-up all 3 Sea Passes, b/c they were in my wallet/ pursec with a magnetic closure. The service desk recognized right away how it happened, so it must happen all the time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Because many of us use our phones as a camera

Carried my sea pass card right next to my iPhone on my last two cruises, (and I primarily used my phone for taking photos around the ship) and never had a problem. However, I've managed to deactivate several cards over the years because of magnet type clasps and closures on my handbags....:o

I went through three cards on my last cruise, and I didn't have anything with a magnetic closure, just had it right up against my phone. GS let me know that's what was doing it on my third trip. Before that, I had never heard of cell phones doing that.

Since I was just using my phone for pics, and had brought my camera along, I left the phone in my safe and switched to my camera, no more problems.

It can...it has happened to my husband a few times...he uses his phone for his music

I managed to deactivate mine within 30 minutes of being on board. One crew member said it was probably to do with my iPhone and recommended the card and phone be kept separate, but for the rest of the cruise the new card and phone were kept in the same pocket.

I am sure I have always seen/heard warnings not to put your phone next to your SeaPass as it will stop working.. So I never have and have never had a problem. However, judging by the responses on here, I guess it is true!!

In my experience, Seapasses seem to be more vulnerable to magnetic fields than other card-keys.

This has been my experience as well. It seems if I look at it wrong the darn thing will demagnetize. I had my Kindle (pocket in cover) take out my Seapass twice before I figured it out.

I can tell you from my last cruise, Dec 12-21, 2013, that my Kindle did erase my sea pass card, five times, before someone in Customer Service realized that my E-Reader was the problem.

I erased my SeaPass card multiple times by accidentally sticking it in the same pocket as my camera. Not sure if there is anything magnetic in a digital camera or not. Best to keep it away from all electronics unless you don't mind waiting at Guest Services!