Live from QE's 2014 World Voyage

Scrapnana

As for leaving passports on the ship, it is my understanding that the ships actually collect passports of certain nationalities and do not return them until the end of the cruise. You have no choice.

I hope things work out for you, Kuruzugirl. I hope you find someone who is helpful and informative.

I agree with you....you don't get a choice. Your passport is collected at time of boarding and not returned to you until the day before you disembark. It doesn't matter who you are. I remember lining up on the Queen Mary 2 last year to get our passports back. I personally don't like giving up my passport either but it's just the way it is.

I haven't had my passport taken on Med cruises. Maybe next one will be different or it might be a Cunard thing. I'll find out in 4 weeks time, not that I'm counting or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had my passport taken on Med cruises. Maybe next one will be different or it might be a Cunard thing. I'll find out in 4 weeks time, not that I'm counting or anything.

I've had it on Royal Caribbean and Cunard. Probably some others too but can't remember off the top of my head. As I said, not something I'm happy about. If you get stuck somewhere and miss the ship it would leave you in a very awkward situation.

I think you'll find that the crew and admin people of RCL, Princess, Cunard etc are well versed in Visa requirements for USA. Canadian and possibly British citizens. They draw the line at that. They refuse to advise Visa requirements for Aussies and other groups.

Is there a reason why they take passports? If visas are required pre boarding then they are checked then. I guess perhaps the local immigration people might check them en masse before entry to a country.

It's all gone quiet on the blog front. Must be lousy internet.

Edited by Pushka

I think you'll find that the crew and admin people of RCL, Princess, Cunard etc are well versed in Visa requirements for USA. Canadian and possibly British citizens. They draw the line at that. They refuse to advise Visa requirements for Aussies and other groups.

Is there a reason why they take passports? If visas are required pre boarding then they are checked then. I guess perhaps the local immigration people might check them en masse before entry to a country.

It's all gone quiet on the blog front. Must be lousy internet.

I think it's to do with the en masse aspect. We cruised from Hawaii to Sydney in 2012 on RCL and they took everyone's passports, no matter what nationality. We all had to line up in the dining room the day before arriving in Sydney to meet with immigration and have our passports stamped and returned to us.

I always carry a photocopy of our passports with us when sightseeing but it still makes me nervous handing it over.

I can totally understand what Kuruzugirl is asking. I don't think she is expecting too much of the ship. What she wants to know is, What is the situation? I had Australian friends in the same position, travelling on Yachts of Seabourne. There was a discrepancy between what the brochures said and what staff members told them. Who was correct? What services does the ship actually offer? There had been occasions when information was unclear and they had paid for an expensive visa themselves, only to find that it was provided by the ship. Isn't it more simple for the ship to tell us what they actually can and can't do? I know that rules change all the time, but the ships have to keep abreast of changing rules so that they stay within the law. An updated website on it would be so helpful! It could contain a disclaimer saying that passengers should check back every week in case rules change.

An example: the websites talk about obtaining a Schengen visa if you are from certain countries. My Australian friends have never needed it, though on paper it looks as though they should. How are you to know?

Cruising into a country is definitely different from flying into it. Certain requirements are waived because the country knows you are only there for that one day.

As for leaving passports on the ship, it is my understanding that the ships actually collect passports of certain nationalities and do not return them until the end of the cruise. You have no choice.

I hope things work out for you, Kuruzugirl. I hope you find someone who is helpful and informative.

Thank you so much. That is exactly my situation, made harder by the fact that I live in Japan and have a permanent resident card here. For example, some of the things I am dealing with are.

Indian citizens need visas for Singapore but not if they are in transit for 96 hours or less. But those that have a Japanese card don't. Is getting off a ship and going to the airport considered a transit?

I decided to play it safe and get a visa for Singapore. It is not that difficult but expensive.

Vietnamese visa is offered online easily enough but you need to pick it up on arrival at airports. Since Americans also need Visa's, it is offered on board but the answer I need, is that I can I get one too?

I need a visa for Korea if I go, but the last few times, I cruised there. Three different ship lines, told me I needed it. I got it all three times, but at the Embassy they said, you really don't need it. The cruise ships, Insisted I that I got it, but when I got there, I did not need it.

China is strict on Visas but not that strict for Indians. I heard the rule changed so I am going to try to get it. I hope that I can manage it.

The biggest problem I had, when I wrote my first note on this topic was that the only number I had for customer service was the one in America. They refused to help me and send me on a wild goose chase.

My agent here has been trying to get answers from Cunard Japan but is still waiting after two weeks.

I don't have a booking number yet and can't log into my account.

Kerry was so nice to give me the email contact for UK. I am now waiting for an answer from them.

I am not a complainer. I love traveling, especially cruising. This is the first time that I am having problems communicating with my cruise company. That is why I thought that it might be possible for someone onboard to ask the officer in charge.

Thank you for understanding my situation. I hope to have everything figured out in a few days.

At this point though, I must say that I am disappointed with the Cunard Customer Service.

Kuruzugirl I understand your frustration. I'd be pushing your TA to get your Cunard number. Cunard issues them almost immediately you book. I think they are letting you down badly. I've had mine for months - within a day of making the deposit. Good luck!

I always carry a photocopy of our passports with us when sightseeing but it still makes me nervous handing it over.

I have a jpeg of my passport on my iPhone. It means I can email it if that is ever needed.

Edited by Pushka

Kuruzugirl I understand your frustration. I'd be pushing your TA to get your Cunard number. Cunard issues them almost immediately you book. I think they are letting you down badly. I've had mine for months - within a day of making the deposit. Good luck!

I totally agree with Pushka....it's just ridiculous and they cannot withhold that information from you. That's why I said go and insist on it and don't leave until you get it. I've had mine for months. You need it to choose your shore excursions if you want to do any and also so you can organise your wardrobe for the formal nights etc. Put your foot down and be firm!!

Thank you so much. That is exactly my situation, made harder by the fact that I live in Japan and have a permanent resident card here. For example, some of the things I am dealing with are.

Indian citizens need visas for Singapore but not if they are in transit for 96 hours or less. But those that have a Japanese card don't. Is getting off a ship and going to the airport considered a transit?

I decided to play it safe and get a visa for Singapore. It is not that difficult but expensive.

Vietnamese visa is offered online easily enough but you need to pick it up on arrival at airports. Since Americans also need Visa's, it is offered on board but the answer I need, is that I can I get one too?

I need a visa for Korea if I go, but the last few times, I cruised there. Three different ship lines, told me I needed it. I got it all three times, but at the Embassy they said, you really don't need it. The cruise ships, Insisted I that I got it, but when I got there, I did not need it.

China is strict on Visas but not that strict for Indians. I heard the rule changed so I am going to try to get it. I hope that I can manage it.

The biggest problem I had, when I wrote my first note on this topic was that the only number I had for customer service was the one in America. They refused to help me and send me on a wild goose chase.

My agent here has been trying to get answers from Cunard Japan but is still waiting after two weeks.

I don't have a booking number yet and can't log into my account.

Kerry was so nice to give me the email contact for UK. I am now waiting for an answer from them.

I am not a complainer. I love traveling, especially cruising. This is the first time that I am having problems communicating with my cruise company. That is why I thought that it might be possible for someone onboard to ask the officer in charge.

Thank you for understanding my situation. I hope to have everything figured out in a few days.

At this point though, I must say that I am disappointed with the Cunard Customer Service.

Kuruzugirl I have some information for you which might help.

I have a friend who lives in Hong Kong and he got me the Cunard number for you to phone if you need to:

+852 29528098

Hope that helps!

Kerry.

Regarding the visa for Cunard ships visiting ports in Vietnam, this is what is written on my Voyage Personaliser:

"A visa for Vietnam will be issued upon arrival in Vietnam for all guests and therefore you are not required to obtain a Vietnam visa in advance of the voyage. A visa fee of approximately USD $30 per visa will be charged to your stateroom account. Please note that your passport must contain at least one unused page for entry/departure endorsements for Vietnam and ensure that these unused pages are "visa" pages and not "amendment" pages in your passport."

I will be on the QE Hong Kong/Singapore sector which has two stops in Vietnam. I gather the visa is good for both stops.

During the world cruise, our passports were in and out of our hands many times. As one post states, the purpose is to allow for the mass review of passports by the authorities. For countries that require seeing each passenger, the tables are set up for one to pick up passports. Then times are set up to visit the officials in the Queens Room or the bridge rooms. I was always pleasantly surprised how quickly these lines moved along. You'd enter the Queen's Room and think you'd be there forever, but the line moved continually.

There are countries that require you leave the ship with your passport, as they don't come onboard to process visas. As I recall, Russia was one.

We've also sailed with Crystal, and all passports are retained, at least for a few days. I remember our first trip to St Petesburgh, when a couple had to leave the ship due to illness. As the woman got in a taxi to follow the ambulance, an officer rushed down to hand her the passports.

I always carry a copy of our passports when I leave the ship. I've never been hesitant to leave my passport with the ship, nor heard any rumors of one being misplaced. You must present your room key in order to pick up your family's passports, little danger of giving it to someone else.

I do love the suggestion of having a copy of your passport on your phone. I do caution you to have a security code for the phone, so that if the phone is stolen you aren't giving them that precious information.

I think allowing the ship personnel to retain your passport is just not worth worrying about

Getting my mom's visas were a nightmare. She almost didn't get to go on the cruise because between the Indian embassy and the "expediting" company she used, somebody screwed up big time. She got her documents the day before she left. it was terrible.

Anyway--I talked to Mom when she was in San Fran and said the internet was so horribly slow that she had given up trying to send any email. I bet that's partly why some who are on the ship haven't been back here to update at all.

I hope that everyone is having a great time as they head to Hawaii!!

Will be on the pier tomorrow morning as our favorite ship arrives in our hometown. Looks like it'll be a nice day. The ship is here until 11:59 p.m. and then on to the island of Maui arriving the next day. Hope the webcam works as it's been on and off lately.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. Here is the update on my situation.

Kerry - The Hong Kong number you gave me helped. My cousin lives there and she called them for me. Turns out I need a Visa's for almost everywhere. I haven't heard back from Cunard.Uk, but now that I have all my answers it is okay.

I managed to find a site where I could apply for Singapore Visa online, Vietnam Visa's will be issued on the ship. The travel agent will help me with my Chinese Visa and I will apply for my Korean one myself.

I blasted my agent about many things. He is a novice, but not a bad person. He gave me my cruise booking number and I was finally able to get in and read all the info on my trip. Had I had this earlier I would have known the answers to most of my visa questions.

I am now busy looking up information and am once again looking forward to a great trip.

Thank you so much everyone for your support. Sorry to have clogged up this board with my problems. I know that there is slow internet on board the ship, so I promise not to talk about this anymore.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. Here is the update on my situation.

Kerry - The Hong Kong number you gave me helped. My cousin lives there and she called them for me. Turns out I need a Visa's for almost everywhere. I haven't heard back from Cunard.Uk, but now that I have all my answers it is okay.

I managed to find a site where I could apply for Singapore Visa online, Vietnam Visa's will be issued on the ship. The travel agent will help me with my Chinese Visa and I will apply for my Korean one myself.

I blasted my agent about many things. He is a novice, but not a bad person. He gave me my cruise booking number and I was finally able to get in and read all the info on my trip. Had I had this earlier I would have known the answers to most of my visa questions.

I am now busy looking up information and am once again looking forward to a great trip.

Thank you so much everyone for your support. Sorry to have clogged up this board with my problems. I know that there is slow internet on board the ship, so I promise not to talk about this anymore.

Great news!!! I'm so glad you've taken control of things!

Enjoy your trip :)

Kerry.

The QE arrived right on time into Honolulu today and we were on the pier watching her dock. It's a beautiful Polynesian day with no clouds, warm sun and gentle tradewinds.

Hi Oahucruiser, thanks for your post ... Great news to hear QE has arrived... It was 32 years ago when I was last in Oahu... We really must get back there. Any photos of our lovely ship docking?

Hi Oahucruiser, thanks for your post ... Great news to hear QE has arrived... It was 32 years ago when I was last in Oahu... We really must get back there. Any photos of our lovely ship docking?

Sorry, I don't have any photos. I keep checking her webcam but it continually looks like she is in the dark. If you go to http://www.kroooz-cams.com you can see where she is docked at Aloha Tower cruise terminal downtown. Kroooz Cams somehow gets better or more current webcam views than the ships do.

We are happy to have tourists anytime so start making your plans to return. You'll be shocked by the growth but it is still Paradise.

I keep checking her webcam but it continually looks like she is in the dark. If you go to http://www.kroooz-cams.com you can see where she is docked at Aloha Tower cruise terminal downtown. Kroooz Cams somehow gets better or more current webcam views than the ships do.

You may need to refresh your browser. The following was taken from Bluemarble's "Cunard Webcams" thread.

A nice view from the ship's webcam now

2d6lc3.jpg

Edited by Ray66

Honolulu was great and ihad a greatday shopping and then a group of cc went fir a luau and it was a great night. Yesterdaywas maui and another great day. Lots ofwhales from the ship. Now wehave about 5 sea days!

chez

My first time to Hawaii was amazing. My must-do was to visit Pearl Harbor and I had a very good tour that visited it with plenty of time to look at the displays and pay respects to the Arizona.

The luau at Germaine's was tasty and fun and we had a beautiful sail-away.

Enjoyed the whale watching trip and walking around in the old town of Lahaina.

I definitely have to return to Hawaii!