Live from QE's 2014 World Voyage

Scrapnana

We are having our second warm, sunny, beautiful day in the Caribbean. Many are out by the pools (and I hope they all had their sunblock on because the sun is strong).

Bill Bryson (one of my favorite authors) was one of the lecturers today.

Rumor has it there was "almost a mutiny" (informants term, not mine) yesterday because the internet went down and people could not log off. I never could even log in to the internet yesterday.

Aruba tomorrow!

We are having our second warm, sunny, beautiful day in the Caribbean. Many are out by the pools (and I hope they all had their sunblock on because the sun is strong).

Bill Bryson (one of my favorite authors) was one of the lecturers today.

Rumor has it there was "almost a mutiny" (informants term, not mine) yesterday because the internet went down and people could not log off. I never could even log in to the internet yesterday.

Aruba tomorrow!

Not usually a problem, as if your internet minutes have disappeared and no bytes have been used the Guys in Connexions usually will add them back on.

Not usually a problem, as if your internet minutes have disappeared and no bytes have been used the Guys in Connexions usually will add them back on.

This certainly used to be the case when MCP ran the desk, it has now been taken over by Cunard and they are much less accommodating.

Sorry, my stupid fingers on the smartphone hit the send button.

Last year no AC, this year AC and seat belts in the bus. So is life and I can't se a reason for a :mad: comment. Some passengers have not been satisfied when visiting Fortaleza a few days ago. Well, they might find that Brasil is not California...

Fortaleza is like San Diego and Tiajuana combined, the problem was that the Cunard tour took us to the TJ beach!

Other ports on the way to Rio would have been better choices

Today is Thursday which means in exactly two weeks we will be boarding the Queen Elizabeth in San Francisco.

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Glenn

Looking forward to meeting you too Glenn. We're heading to SF in a week to spend a few days there before boarding.

Eugene and June

Hi again,

This morning (or very early in the morning) we sailed past Haiti or Cuba or some other similar island where Cunard doesn't offer shore tours. I've made an appointment to register my complaint down at the Purser's desk and seek extra OBC (just kidding). The weather has certainly turned for the best and it's quite warm and somewhat humid. There are quite a few cruise ships plying their trade in these waters and I saw two last night and one today.

This continues to be a very enjoyable cruise on a lovely ship. We have just had two formal nights in a row, the first night being the Captain's reception for Grills & Britannia Club guests and the second being for Britannia passengers. On the Grills night there was a ten minute wait to meet the captain prior to entering the Queens Room. I'm used to zero small talk with Cunard captains, so after being introduced I did the usual routine: 1) extend hand for the handshake 2) smile and say hello 3) turn and face the camera with another smile 4) walk away. As I was walking away I was surprised to hear the captain say "that was painless" with a grin on his face. I'm not sure if he was expecting a chat and was surprised, or he was just thankful that I didn't expect a conversation. I'm going to attempt a conversation during the CWC reception, I'll let you know how it goes.

It was an enjoyable captain's reception, partly because I had two glasses of champagne to accompany the couple of drinks I had up at the FOD. The captain was at pains to stress that this was the 2014 world voyage as I'm told that at the same event following Southampton he welcomed everyone to the 2012 world voyage. There are over 900 Brits on board, about 700 Americans and 45 Australians. There are also many other nations represented but as I've covered the important ones I won't bore you with the rest. Oh, and I could have been slightly tipsy, but I am quite sure that he said there was one person from Afghanistan on board. He's got quite a sense of humour this captain, I quite liked his speech.

The Queens Grill restaurant continues to shine. The views are, quite simply, to die for and the service is excellent - as is the food. I haven't requested anything outlandish, but what preferences I do have they are quite efficient at ensuring they're available. For example, there is a particular bread I like that for a couple of nights wasn't available by the time I was dining - I guess everyone else likes it too. To prevent this from happening again they now have the bread ready on the table at lunch and dinner whether I turn up or not. Also, Crepes Suzette wasn't available on embarkation night back in New York, so the head waiter advised that it will be on standby for me every night in case I want it. On the day we were docked at Fort Lauderdale they had a CDC inspection and so weren't able to make any sorbet. I had to make do with just mango. The waiter asked me what flavours I would like in the future and I replied "all of them" (with a wink and a smile of course). The following night I was was presented with a bouquet of sorbet, much to my delight. In a nutshell, the service is excellent and the waiters are adept at remembering your breakfast order and pretty much everything else that you regularly order. It's also pleasing that the maitre d comes around in the evening to see how everything is and chat with guests; it's a very friendly restaurant. Oh, and I have to mention the sommelier. She is extremely knowledgable and has steered me in the right direction every time. Additionally, she is very fast and efficient and all wine orders are quickly brought to the table and glasses refilled promptly. There is no waiting around for a glass of wine in this restaurant.

Tomorrow night I am dining in the Verandah Restaurant, which I am very much looking forward to. I mentioned this to the maitre d and he talked about the ethos of the Verandah Restaurant and gave some suggestions on what dishes I might like.

Before I forget, I will mention that I asked one of the waiters if the daily menu in the Queens Grill is the same as that in the other restaurants (not including the a la carte menu). I was told that it is the same except that the Queens Grill daily menu has additional appetiser and entree dishes on it that the other daily menus don't have. I asked because I'd forgotten if I had asked before (on a previous voyage) and what the answer was, and I know the topic comes up on Cruise Critic from time to time.

Since it was such a lovely day today I spent the entire day on the balcony reading and decided to have lunch out there. I ordered from the Queens Grill menu (because it's there) and was pleased that the butler asked if I wanted to have lunch out on the balcony and then proceeded to set up the outside table including laying the tablecloth, cutlery, salt and pepper shakers and all the nice stuff that make room service in a QG suite so pleasant. Honestly, the butler and steward couldn't be more obliging.

By the way, another QG guest told me that her butler offered to unpack for her on embarkation day. I've read on here that this isn't the experience of everyone so it's nice to hear that it does happen.

I saw a new show last night "Royal Hotel". It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. This is the first time I've seen people in the theatre boxes getting the chocolate and champagne treatment after purchasing the theatre box package. I hope they enjoyed it.

I do like this ship, she has a pleasant decor and the Grills location is very well situated. I do think that that the gym could have been better organised as there are only five or so treadmills that you can use if you want to run as the others are under the very low ceiling which makes running impossible for anyone over five foot. Another passenger observed that the corridors along the passenger cabins are quite plain and I have to agree. Additionally, only the Q1s and Q2s get doorbells. But these are minor quibbles.

In the afternoon the weather got a bit sulky and the waves started to pick up. For some reason, and I do not know if it is weather related, the ship appears to have developed a permanent slight list to starboard. I could be imagining it but I don't think I am as the dance floor in the Yacht Club was definitely on an angle. There is certainly more movement on this ship than Queen Mary 2.

There was indeed an internet outage a day or so ago. I was told by one of those affected that they are being credited time back as a result.

In the grand Cunard tradition, the DJ is less than impressive. Tonight's 11pm set was entitled "Thru the decades night" in the daily programme. Sadly the programme neglected to mention that "the decades" didn't include any music from the year 2000 onwards. That's 14 years of contemporary music which didn't get a look in. I do understand that not everyone on board is under 40, however, I don't see why music from the last decade and a half (nearly) couldn't have been included. I'm pretty sure there are people on this ship (older than myself) who listen to the radio and have at least one favourite song from the last 14 years.

On the plus side the DJ did play a song that I requested from the 80's. Yes the request was played 48 hours after I made it (following on from a follow up request for the same song tonight) but hey, better late than never. (Full disclosure - that sentence is in fact dripping with sarcasm).

To answer some of the questions that were asked:

1) There is a "casual" night coming up that we have been pre-warned about. An information sheet outlining the dress code for this sector alerted me to this on the second day. The casual night means that men don't need to wear a jacket and women can wear a "summer dress" or equivalent. I'm not 100% sure about the "summer dress" part but I am pretty sure that's what it said.

2) I asked for Pepsi Max (which they don't have) and so got Diet Pepsi instead.

3) I think you should have taken the upgrade.

I boarded in Fort Lauderdale and was met by some of the Cruise critic friends who joined me on Deck 10 for the sail away. I have friends that live in the last block of flats as you leave the harbour and they were out on their balcony flashing torches. The girl in the Entertainments team had given me glow sticks. All good fun.

We sailed for 3 nights and two days and are now in Aruba. Last night I was invited to dine at the Captain's table but unfortunately he couldn't make it so we were entertained by the Chief Security Officer and the Chief Training Officer. All good fun.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about. The ship is beautiful and elegant and we have had two formal nights. Everyone made an effort to dress up.

Aruba is lovely and warm and I am just going to enjoy it by being lazy. That's all for now.

Rgds Pat

My first post:

:DLooking forward to joining all on QE when I board at Sydney for the balance of the cruise to Southampton-; then home to NYC on QM2 May9th.

BON VOYAGE ! to all!:D

Welcome, canoncruiser. I hope you will join us in the Commodore Club about 12:15 the day after we leave Sydney for our Meet and Greet.

My first post:

:DLooking forward to joining all on QE when I board at Sydney for the balance of the cruise to Southampton-; then home to NYC on QM2 May9th.

BON VOYAGE ! to all!:D

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Unfortunately, we will be disembarking in Sydney so we won't get to meet. However, I know many lovely folks from this roll call will be continuing on the voyage after Sydney. Bon Voyage, to you, also.

Hi to all,

We have just booked the World 2015 on QE and I am reading all of your posts to pick up lots of tips etc. I hope you all have a lovely time and for those who are on for the whole trip I am particularly interested if the entertainment for each segment is repeated or is there fresh talent and shows ?

Also any info as to dancing ?... Are the gentlemen hosts still on ?

Last time we were on the QE the gentlemen host were awful ( sorry to say that but it is true ) they just shuffled about .. it was embarrasing and a couple of the ladies did complain ... I dont understand why they are not interviewed and assessed.

Enjoy it all ...

Koo

Hi to all,

We have just booked the World 2015 on QE and I am reading all of your posts to pick up lots of tips etc. I hope you all have a lovely time and for those who are on for the whole trip I am particularly interested if the entertainment for each segment is repeated or is there fresh talent and shows ?

Also any info as to dancing ?... Are the gentlemen hosts still on ?

Last time we were on the QE the gentlemen host were awful ( sorry to say that but it is true ) they just shuffled about .. it was embarrasing and a couple of the ladies did complain ... I dont understand why they are not interviewed and assessed.

Enjoy it all ...

Koo

There have been 6 dance hosts. According to one of our roll call who loves to dance, a couple are good, some so-so, and one can't lead. We had one who even I (who cannot dance) could tell was bad leave in NYC.

So far we have had different entertainment and different speakers but this is only the beginning of week three.

Hi again,

Well I tried the Verandah but unfortunately I made bad choices when it came to choosing what to eat so I didn't really enjoy it that much. My dining companion went in the opposite direction and picked all the delicious options, so when I try it again I will have what they had. FYI the pork rillette is a no goer.

I also tried out the spa today, it's quite nice but I am not sure about being able to look through the windows and see everyone out on deck nine; I think I prefer the sanctuary feel of QM2. I do prefer the Canon Ranch operation with regards to letting you use the spa all day if you book a treatment, as opposed to Steiner (on QE) which only allows you to use the spa for an hour before or after your treatment. Also, I wasn't impressed with the therapist, she had zero personality and rather than stay for the whole treatment I left half way through - obviously I still had to pay for the whole thing, but at that point I would have paid extra just to get out of the room.

Last night Nexus (the QE Caribbean band) was out on deck nine for an outdoor party which was very well attended and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The upshot from this was that Nexus wasn't playing in the Yacht Club. The DJ seems to have had a change of heart and played an excellent set, the music was great and lots of people were up dancing, including some officers. I was really surprised, what a fantastic night! And the clocks went back an hour so that's always good.

The CWC party was on this evening and I made good on my promise to engage the captain in some conversation. Chalk one up for me. He gave another good speech and a bunch of people were recognised for spending thousands of days at sea. It was quite an enjoyable little party. They had two sessions, one at 17:30 and one at 19:30, and the invitation said to attend the time slot of your preference. The only party left on this sector will be the Officer's party - I'm presuming.

The Queens Grill is still excellent, tomorrow night I am having steak diane, which I wouldn't normally order but another table ordered it as an off-menu request and the preparation of the dish by the head waiter was a sight to behold. I didn't realise steak diane was such an art-form, I am looking forward to tomorrow night's performance.

The weather has been great, plenty of sun and lots of people are out on deck. I would use the grill decks but there is no shade, which is an oversight I believe, they need some sort of shade cloth up there.

I happen to see inside the Q5 suites that bookend decks 4, 5 and 8 at the stern. Trust me when I tell you that they are not as spacious (inside) as the three Q6 suites in between them, I was quite shocked. If you want to be at the stern, book a Q6 and tick the no upgrade box (unless you're booking a Q1 in which case you don't need to worry).

Tomorrow we arrive at Limon and some of the shore tours have a very early 7:30 start.

Hi again,

This morning (or very early in the morning) we sailed past Haiti or Cuba or some other similar island where Cunard doesn't offer shore tours. I've made an appointment to register my complaint down at the Purser's desk and seek extra OBC (just kidding). The weather has certainly turned for the best and it's quite warm and somewhat humid. There are quite a few cruise ships plying their trade in these waters and I saw two last night and one today.

This continues to be a very enjoyable cruise on a lovely ship. We have just had two formal nights in a row, the first night being the Captain's reception for Grills & Britannia Club guests and the second being for Britannia passengers. On the Grills night there was a ten minute wait to meet the captain prior to entering the Queens Room. I'm used to zero small talk with Cunard captains, so after being introduced I did the usual routine: 1) extend hand for the handshake 2) smile and say hello 3) turn and face the camera with another smile 4) walk away. As I was walking away I was surprised to hear the captain say "that was painless" with a grin on his face. I'm not sure if he was expecting a chat and was surprised, or he was just thankful that I didn't expect a conversation. I'm going to attempt a conversation during the CWC reception, I'll let you know how it goes.

It was an enjoyable captain's reception, partly because I had two glasses of champagne to accompany the couple of drinks I had up at the FOD. The captain was at pains to stress that this was the 2014 world voyage as I'm told that at the same event following Southampton he welcomed everyone to the 2012 world voyage. There are over 900 Brits on board, about 700 Americans and 45 Australians. There are also many other nations represented but as I've covered the important ones I won't bore you with the rest. Oh, and I could have been slightly tipsy, but I am quite sure that he said there was one person from Afghanistan on board. He's got quite a sense of humour this captain, I quite liked his speech.

The Queens Grill restaurant continues to shine. The views are, quite simply, to die for and the service is excellent - as is the food. I haven't requested anything outlandish, but what preferences I do have they are quite efficient at ensuring they're available. For example, there is a particular bread I like that for a couple of nights wasn't available by the time I was dining - I guess everyone else likes it too. To prevent this from happening again they now have the bread ready on the table at lunch and dinner whether I turn up or not. Also, Crepes Suzette wasn't available on embarkation night back in New York, so the head waiter advised that it will be on standby for me every night in case I want it. On the day we were docked at Fort Lauderdale they had a CDC inspection and so weren't able to make any sorbet. I had to make do with just mango. The waiter asked me what flavours I would like in the future and I replied "all of them" (with a wink and a smile of course). The following night I was was presented with a bouquet of sorbet, much to my delight. In a nutshell, the service is excellent and the waiters are adept at remembering your breakfast order and pretty much everything else that you regularly order. It's also pleasing that the maitre d comes around in the evening to see how everything is and chat with guests; it's a very friendly restaurant. Oh, and I have to mention the sommelier. She is extremely knowledgable and has steered me in the right direction every time. Additionally, she is very fast and efficient and all wine orders are quickly brought to the table and glasses refilled promptly. There is no waiting around for a glass of wine in this restaurant.

Tomorrow night I am dining in the Verandah Restaurant, which I am very much looking forward to. I mentioned this to the maitre d and he talked about the ethos of the Verandah Restaurant and gave some suggestions on what dishes I might like.

Before I forget, I will mention that I asked one of the waiters if the daily menu in the Queens Grill is the same as that in the other restaurants (not including the a la carte menu). I was told that it is the same except that the Queens Grill daily menu has additional appetiser and entree dishes on it that the other daily menus don't have. I asked because I'd forgotten if I had asked before (on a previous voyage) and what the answer was, and I know the topic comes up on Cruise Critic from time to time.

Since it was such a lovely day today I spent the entire day on the balcony reading and decided to have lunch out there. I ordered from the Queens Grill menu (because it's there) and was pleased that the butler asked if I wanted to have lunch out on the balcony and then proceeded to set up the outside table including laying the tablecloth, cutlery, salt and pepper shakers and all the nice stuff that make room service in a QG suite so pleasant. Honestly, the butler and steward couldn't be more obliging.

By the way, another QG guest told me that her butler offered to unpack for her on embarkation day. I've read on here that this isn't the experience of everyone so it's nice to hear that it does happen.

I saw a new show last night "Royal Hotel". It was pretty good, I enjoyed it. This is the first time I've seen people in the theatre boxes getting the chocolate and champagne treatment after purchasing the theatre box package. I hope they enjoyed it.

I do like this ship, she has a pleasant decor and the Grills location is very well situated. I do think that that the gym could have been better organised as there are only five or so treadmills that you can use if you want to run as the others are under the very low ceiling which makes running impossible for anyone over five foot. Another passenger observed that the corridors along the passenger cabins are quite plain and I have to agree. Additionally, only the Q1s and Q2s get doorbells. But these are minor quibbles.

In the afternoon the weather got a bit sulky and the waves started to pick up. For some reason, and I do not know if it is weather related, the ship appears to have developed a permanent slight list to starboard. I could be imagining it but I don't think I am as the dance floor in the Yacht Club was definitely on an angle. There is certainly more movement on this ship than Queen Mary 2.

There was indeed an internet outage a day or so ago. I was told by one of those affected that they are being credited time back as a result.

In the grand Cunard tradition, the DJ is less than impressive. Tonight's 11pm set was entitled "Thru the decades night" in the daily programme. Sadly the programme neglected to mention that "the decades" didn't include any music from the year 2000 onwards. That's 14 years of contemporary music which didn't get a look in. I do understand that not everyone on board is under 40, however, I don't see why music from the last decade and a half (nearly) couldn't have been included. I'm pretty sure there are people on this ship (older than myself) who listen to the radio and have at least one favourite song from the last 14 years.

On the plus side the DJ did play a song that I requested from the 80's. Yes the request was played 48 hours after I made it (following on from a follow up request for the same song tonight) but hey, better late than never. (Full disclosure - that sentence is in fact dripping with sarcasm).

To answer some of the questions that were asked:

1) There is a "casual" night coming up that we have been pre-warned about. An information sheet outlining the dress code for this sector alerted me to this on the second day. The casual night means that men don't need to wear a jacket and women can wear a "summer dress" or equivalent. I'm not 100% sure about the "summer dress" part but I am pretty sure that's what it said.

2) I asked for Pepsi Max (which they don't have) and so got Diet Pepsi instead.

3) I think you should have taken the upgrade.

Hi Whitemarsh,

Excellent report, loved every word. Please post again when you've chance, really looking forward to reading more :) .

Please pass my best wishes and love to a certain Lady, please tell her The Gilbert Scott are creating a new menu in her honour :) .

Sincere best wishes to you (and to the Lady), can't wait for your next report.

Edited by pepperrn

Public nature of the QE Spa.

I you look at Sarah's photograph post 182 here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947801&page=10

you will see what Whitemarsh is alluding to.

Here is another photograph from myself which shows the windows on the other side of the QE Spa.

QE%2009056%20Spa%204%20SN%201024%2009%20Nov.JPG

If I recall correctly it is not as bright a view looking into the Spa, but still very public.

I have to disagree with the captain about the heated beds. I am just under 6 foot tall and I fit onto one fine. I have a photo of a normal size couple on a pair of beds but even with their faces blurred I am reluctant to post it.

Hi again,

Well I tried the Verandah but unfortunately I made bad choices when it came to choosing what to eat so I didn't really enjoy it that much. My dining companion went in the opposite direction and picked all the delicious options, so when I try it again I will have what they had. FYI the pork rillette is a no goer.

I also tried out the spa today, it's quite nice but I am not sure about being able to look through the windows and see everyone out on deck nine; I think I prefer the sanctuary feel of QM2. I do prefer the Canon Ranch operation with regards to letting you use the spa all day if you book a treatment, as opposed to Steiner (on QE) which only allows you to use the spa for an hour before or after your treatment. Also, I wasn't impressed with the therapist, she had zero personality and rather than stay for the whole treatment I left half way through - obviously I still had to pay for the whole thing, but at that point I would have paid extra just to get out of the room.

Last night Nexus (the QE Caribbean band) was out on deck nine for an outdoor party which was very well attended and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The upshot from this was that Nexus wasn't playing in the Yacht Club. The DJ seems to have had a change of heart and played an excellent set, the music was great and lots of people were up dancing, including some officers. I was really surprised, what a fantastic night! And the clocks went back an hour so that's always good.

The CWC party was on this evening and I made good on my promise to engage the captain in some conversation. Chalk one up for me. He gave another good speech and a bunch of people were recognised for spending thousands of days at sea. It was quite an enjoyable little party. They had two sessions, one at 17:30 and one at 19:30, and the invitation said to attend the time slot of your preference. The only party left on this sector will be the Officer's party - I'm presuming.

The Queens Grill is still excellent, tomorrow night I am having steak diane, which I wouldn't normally order but another table ordered it as an off-menu request and the preparation of the dish by the head waiter was a sight to behold. I didn't realise steak diane was such an art-form, I am looking forward to tomorrow night's performance.

The weather has been great, plenty of sun and lots of people are out on deck. I would use the grill decks but there is no shade, which is an oversight I believe, they need some sort of shade cloth up there.

I happen to see inside the Q5 suites that bookend decks 4, 5 and 8 at the stern. Trust me when I tell you that they are not as spacious (inside) as the three Q6 suites in between them, I was quite shocked. If you want to be at the stern, book a Q6 and tick the no upgrade box (unless you're booking a Q1 in which case you don't need to worry).

Tomorrow we arrive at Limon and some of the shore tours have a very early 7:30 start.

Hi Whitemarsh,

Missed this report this morning (:o) so thanks for the update! Sorry about the spa... I've not tried the QV/QE versions but agree with you, I thought it odd that I could look in on the spa pool. Prefer the QM2 version like you.

Sincere best wishes,