Live from QE's 2014 World Voyage

Scrapnana

Got a good view of the QE from Circular Quay railway station this morning. Such is the allure of a Cunard vessel that i am willing to use public transportation in this city! (I enjoy using the superior systems of so many other global cities - Sydney truly needs public transport investment)

Unfortunately, the ridiculously gigantic gay pride banner ruined my photos! I get that it's Mardi Gras, but did Cunard really need to degrade the ship like so? Tacky in my view, but I guess the pro gay advertising is a sure fire way to secure pink dollars (please observe my issue is with a gargantuan banner and not it's content/subject).

Anyway, seeing QE for the first time properly in daylight was a thrill. It's now less than 4 months till I board her in Venice. I'm just too excited! Lucky be all those who get to re-board tomorrow.

A shame that her time in Sydney was marred by the bad weather. We had a near perfect summer this year, only to begin Autumn with rain. At least the humidity should be leaving us soon...

I agree about the banner. I also disliked the Valentines Proposal. When a ship comes into Port rarely then it just ruins any photo opps. It could have been removed during the day. But best never to have had it, or any other banner, at all.

I agree about the banner. I also disliked the Valentines Proposal. When a ship comes into Port rarely then it just ruins any photo opps. It could have been removed during the day. But best never to have had it, or any other banner, at all.

Yes, the Valentines proposal was tacky too. But, it's all about marketing. I guess Cunard feels it necessary to lower the standard in Australian ports.

Given the behaviour, faux-culture, and attitudes of Australians, maybe a tacky, gargantuan banner is the most appropriate way of advertising.

Yes, the Valentines proposal was tacky too. But, it's all about marketing. I guess Cunard feels it necessary to lower the standard in Australian ports.

Given the behaviour, faux-culture, and attitudes of Australians, maybe a tacky, gargantuan banner is the most appropriate way of advertising.

Clearly you don't hold much regard for fellow Aussies then. I think you'll find most of the Australians who enjoy Cunard found this tacky. Faux culture? Hmmm.

Just my opinion, but I don't take either of the two aforementioned banners as a reflection of either the residents of Australia or the passengers on the ship: both banners were placed by Cunard/CCL management - reflecting their taste and business judgment, with no vote from Australians or those on board. My guess is that those in upper management believe it was good publicity to hang those banners. But after the razzing Cunard PR got in the international press after the "Marry Me Jess?" fiasco, I would have thought the lesson was learned. -S.

Edited by Salacia

We have just boarded in Sydney. Coming out of the Queens Room on completion of the emergency drill, I saw a little Japanese lady, complete with mouth mask, pick up the hand sanitiser bottle and go over to the plastic plants and squirt the contents over them! Did she think she was watering them, feeding them or just killing the germs they produce?! The mind boggles!

Clearly you don't hold much regard for fellow Aussies then. I think you'll find most of the Australians who enjoy Cunard found this tacky. Faux culture? Hmmm.

I too take offence to those comments. Sweeping generalisations of any culture should not be made here. Perhaps it best to speak for yourself instead of judging others Austcruiser84.

We have just boarded in Sydney. Coming out of the Queens Room on completion of the emergency drill, I saw a little Japanese lady, complete with mouth mask, pick up the hand sanitiser bottle and go over to the plastic plants and squirt the contents over them! Did she think she was watering them, feeding them or just killing the germs they produce?! The mind boggles!

Awwww I would say she was dusting them but I know the florists look after the plants really well on the ships! One morning I was wandering early and they were snipping out the lily stamens from recently opened Lily's

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I too take offence to those comments. Sweeping generalisations of any culture should not be made here. Perhaps it best to speak for yourself instead of judging others Austcruiser84.

Three words, pengu: 'freedom of expression'. And I always speak for myself. I thought that's what one does when posting :)

Anyway, it was nice to see QE this weekend. It will be even better to look at in Venice, sans gargantuan, tacky banner.

Just my opinion, but I don't take either of the two aforementioned banners as a reflection of either the residents of Australia or the passengers on the ship: both banners were placed by Cunard/CCL management - reflecting their taste and business judgment, with no vote from Australians or those on board. My guess is that those in upper management believe it was good publicity to hang those banners. But after the razzing Cunard PR got in the international press after the "Marry Me Jess?" fiasco, I would have thought the lesson was learned. -S.

Being pro gay is all the rage with companies these days (well, except for that Italian pasta brand whose name escapes me). They know the pink dollar is worth a lot and there is profit to be made.

Probably a smart marketing move, but gosh that banner was ridiculously huge.

Perhaps they could have gone for something more subtle and classy, like rainbow light bulbs atop the ship, or glittered up the lifeboats.

Anyway, she is gone again. Lucky be those aboard her tonight. Hope anyone on her is having a wonderful time!

Rumour has it that about one half of the passengers disembarked on Sunday - the rumours disagree on the nationalities of those who joined us.

The banner was gone on Sunday morning.

We are headed to Brisbane (on Tuesday) and will pass QV sometime Monday evening as she heads for Sydney.

Three words, pengu: 'freedom of expression'. And I always speak for myself. I thought that's what one does when posting :)

Anyway, it was nice to see QE this weekend. It will be even better to look at in Venice, sans gargantuan, tacky banner.

Obviously you missed my point Austcruiser84: When I said speak for yourself I meant about yourself. If you want to go down the road of denegrating a culture, especially one you apparently claim to be your own, then expect backlash. As someone else has already pointed out, the Australians that frequent Cunard aren't really the types that you described. While I can understand your disappointment/disapproval with the banner (and I have no problem at all with you commenting on that) there's no need to lay the boot into Australian culture as a whole. As far as I know, Australia didn't ask Cunard to put the banner up, it was Cunard's choice.

There are good and bad in all cultures around the world and there are certainly some aspects of Australian culture that make me cringe at times too but I would never presume to tar the entire Australian culture with the same brush.

I'm not sure why you think Australia has a 'faux' culture.

Please don't use freedom of expression as an excuse to say insulting things about a race or in this case, a culture.

We had our fifth Meet and Greet today and had a great turnout - close to 25 people.

This should be a very interesting segment including Japan, South Korea, and China.

We did get a number of Japanese on board (Although the latest rumor is much smaller than previous - about 400) and there is a small section of the Lido labelled "Asian food" and the special Chef's corner had sushi today.

Thanks to all who continue to follow this amazing voyage!

We had our fifth Meet and Greet today and had a great turnout - close to 25 people.

This should be a very interesting segment including Japan, South Korea, and China.

We did get a number of Japanese on board (Although the latest rumor is much smaller than previous - about 400) and there is a small section of the Lido labelled "Asian food" and the special Chef's corner had sushi today.

Thanks to all who continue to follow this amazing voyage!

Kathi, I am missing you all so much. It was just great spending the last 39 days with you and the others on the forum. I have the next two weeks with my brother and family and will then fly back to UK. I am seriously thinking that next year I will have to fly to Sydney have time with the family and then do the other half of the world trip like you are doing now. When you see the others please give them my regards.

Regards Pat

Kathi, I am missing you all so much. It was just great spending the last 39 days with you and the others on the forum. I have the next two weeks with my brother and family and will then fly back to UK. I am seriously thinking that next year I will have to fly to Sydney have time with the family and then do the other half of the world trip like you are doing now. When you see the others please give them my regards.

Regards Pat

Hi Pat,

I know what you mean. I am having withdrawl symptons and missing everyone as well. It was great to finally meet you. Have a great time in Sydney!

Chez