Cruise port access in Mauritius

comcox

Does anyone know what the public access is like at Port Louis, Mauritius? Do they have a cruise terminal or is it a commercial port?

I know in some ports taxis are not allowed to enter to pick up people ship-side. Some ports passengers are required to take a shuttle of some kind from the ship to outside the port gates as there is no proper cruise terminal building with street access. Does anyone know what the situation is at Port Louis?

It's been a few years but I don't remember there being a terminal. I do recall Costa having a big white marque that they used for embarkation.

Near where the ship was docked there was a jetty for a water bus service over to Port Louis waterfront area (shopping centres,, cafes, restaurants and the like. Quite a nice newish development. One half was a private development and the other half done by the council. The former was nicer.

There were taxis hanging around near the ship also. Didn't notice any other transport options. Then again I was tired after a mega journey getting there with flights cancelled and delayed due to snow and time change, so really not at my most observant.

• 1 month later...

Was just in Port Louis a month ago on the MSC Sinfonia. They have a a fairly new but very small cruise terminal, just at the entrance of the port as the ship comes in, on the right. You could walk to town, but it is quite far. Didn't notice any car taxis, apart from the coaches used for the shore excursions. The easiest option was the water taxi, from right next to the ship, takes you across the harbour and off loads you pretty much in town, for US$2 per person, one way. They can overload the little boats, which may rock from side to side, but it seems these guys know what they are doing. They only thing of value I had on me was my GoPro, but it is waterproof, my wife's Canon 650D isn't.

• 1 month later...

There are some expensive taxis right at the ship that have a monopoly and overcharge. But if you walk a short distance down a road, you will come to a road with cheaper taxis that aren't allowed in to where the ship is. I loved Mauritius, but there are a lot of taxi driver scammers, so beware.

• 9 months later...

I´ve been at Port Louis 2 weeks ago. If you are at the "new cruise terminal", which isn´t a terminal only a tent, you can use the water taxi to the city. If you are at the old container terminal, I dont know if there are taxis.

Mario

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We arrived at Port Louis in March, 2015 on the Crystal Serenity. We were able to walk off the ship and through a small port facility with souvenir stands and food stalls. From there we walked into town, around the shore and had lunch at a hotel on the waterfront. From there we walked through the town, wandered safely. The Serenity cruise was from Perth to Cape Town, across the Indian Ocean. Weather was mild and calm, but there were some strong winds off the coast of So. Africa that kept the Serenity from reaching the port of Port Elizabeth. We loved loved loved Madagascar and flew back there after disembarking in Cape Town for a land-based tour. A unique part of the world with few visitors. One should explore the outback and commune with the lemurs.

We're considering a cruise to Mauritius and Madagascar in December/January, could anyone tell me more about the climate and if the sea is rough in this period?

Seas are really hard to predict. It could be calm, a little rough or even rough. We have visited Mauritius in 2014 and 2015 and the seas were relatively calm.

Ironically were were there on the same date in March on both years so not sure about January but it was fairly hot when we were there.

You can look up historical weather at this site:

http://www.wunderground.com

Madagascar was quite hot but this was not in January.

I would recommend taking tours in both locations to get the most out of your visit.

Keith

Hello

we have been in Mauritius last Janury, January is Zyclon Season (thats like a hurrican) and we have had a cyclon so that the cruise ship couldn't enter the port and costa organiced a flight to the seychelles. SO the ship with the passengers passed a very rough sea. But we have had a very calm sea after entering the ship at the seychelles