Has Anyone Successfully Sued NCL?

cxxviii

Another case of someone hearing what they want to hear. You are so concerned that you might have to cancel months out and you signed documentation regarding the cancelation policy and were given a copy of the policy (we are ALL given the policy to sign) and you want NCL to give back all of your money.

Did you think about maybe negotiating a new date in the future?

Did you think about paying for trip insurance -not so expensive a purchase now is it?

Did you think about holding off on the cruise until you were more sure that you could make it??

FYI - the lawyers will require $2000 just to check into the matter for you. I suggest that you take the nice offer that NCL customer service is giving you now and take what you can get.

Sorry, folks, but I just found out my 33 yr old son is coming home to live temporarily - I am not in a good mood:p

:D :D They don't refer to this as the boomerang generation for nothin'. Good luck ;)

Is it wrong to want to buy both my boomerang sons a condo to share, pay for it on the condition that they only come home for holidays?? Not his fault, he really doesn't want to come home, but he is thinking of relocating to another state and needs a place to plan. Possible new vacation destination??? - I can only hope;)

Is it wrong to want to buy both my boomerang sons a condo to share, pay for it on the condition that they only come home for holidays?? Not his fault, he really doesn't want to come home, but he is thinking of relocating to another state and needs a place to plan. Possible new vacation destination??? - I can only hope;)

Too funny!!

Instead of wasting your time talking to five (5) different customer reps, why didn't you just read the passenger contract/invoice once? You would have seen the cancellation policy as clear as day. Sorry - I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You're the negligent one - live and learn.

It appears what we have here is a difference in philosophy about how business should be run. I own several retail stores. EVERYWHERE in the store are signs that say "Returns accepted within 7 days and with receipt." It is even printed on the receipt itself. EVERY DAY, a customer comes in and claims "I didn't know" or "oh I didn't see that." And almost without exception, do you know what we do? We accept the return. Do you know why? Because we value our customers, and we prefer to do what is right and good for our business in the long term, as opposed to what we may be legally entitled to get away with. Do we occasionally get taken advantage of? Of course. But that is a small price to pay for great customer service and reputation.

Everyone, of course, is entitled to their own opinion. Even when it's wrong. :)

If you want to do what's right, then follow your own self-created rules. If you don't want to follow those rules because of some sense of customer satisfaction, get rid of the rule and be done with it. Creating a rule that you rarely follow is ludicrous and confusing at best!

If you want to do what's right, then follow your own self-created rules. If you don't want to follow those rules because of some sense of customer satisfaction, get rid of the rule and be done with it. Creating a rule that you rarely follow is ludicrous and confusing at best!

Yep, if I see a sign in a store that says "no returns without receipt" and I lose my receipt I am not going to try to do a return. If I later find out that the rule is, um, bendable, then I am just as likely to stop shopping at that store.

OP, I do feel for you and I do think that customer service should be better trained to know all of the exceptions but I don't believe that a full refund will be forthcoming. You might be able to secure some OBC toward a future cruise.

I understand the average layperson thinks this way, but the law itself is much more complex. I'm not going to get into a legal debate ... I do have a law degree and 20 years of experience though ;) Also, I certainly was not advocating a lawsuit or a "jury" ... but contacting the AG would definitely be in his best interest.

I disagree. I just think lawyers have become professionals at twisting the truth to meet their clients needs, immaterial of whether their client is actually wrong or right. From what I've seen in court rooms, it seems the actually facts are moot, the only thing that matters is how the supposed facts are presented. :(

Edited by Out to sea!

Hate to tell you but...Its your word against theirs they (the 5 NCL people) never mentioned the Haven/regular room refunds. Its written on your paperwork I'm guessin you will spend lawyer money for nothing as NCL will win. You gotta read fine print & get cancellation insurance ALWAYS

if he wins this what incentive do any of us have to buy cancellation insurance? Anyone can come up with a good excuse and the paperwork to back them up. He does not deserve any kind of payment because of his own negligence.

I just hope he does not come back and start gloating about how his whining got him a refund.

I just hope he does not come back and start gloating about how his whining got him a refund.
Personally, I hope he does come back to tell us the outcome of his interaction with NCL (unless they ask him not to). I would be ashamed to be on record saying I'd been "misled and swindled by NCL" if in fact I received a refund or other undeserved compensation in the end.

Here is what happened with us with a different cruiseline.

I called 5 different reps at the 800 number. They all told me I could cancel at anytime I wanted. No reasons needed. Turns out we missed the ship. And we called them a week later to get our money.

The cruise line said no.

Since 5 people said we were okay, we will sue and probably get free cruising for life.

So there. Don't mess with us!

Here is what happened with us with a different cruiseline.

I called 5 different reps at the 800 number. They all told me I could cancel at anytime I wanted. No reasons needed. Turns out we missed the ship. And we called them a week later to get our money.

The cruise line said no.

Since 5 people said we were okay, we will sue and probably get free cruising for life.

So there. Don't mess with us!

Anyone with common sense would understand "canceling prior to the cruise". :rolleyes:

I dont care if it's written somewhere. The customer called the company 5 times to make sure he had things right about the cancellation policy. Did one of those employees remind him to check his ticket information on page "5" ( or whatever ) of the contract? Not according to the OP. Any chance of finding the phone records that showed you called on 5 occasions. This is just not right. These employees gave him wrong information. Why offer telephone help if it's not of any help. OP you have been misserved by NCL IMO and I hope that you get your $2000.00 deposit back.

I dont care if it's written somewhere. The customer called the company 5 times to make sure he had things right about the cancellation policy. Did one of those employees remind him to check his ticket information on page "5" ( or whatever ) of the contract? Not according to the OP. Any chance of finding the phone records that showed you called on 5 occasions. This is just not right. These employees gave him wrong information. Why offer telephone help if it's not of any help. OP you have been misserved by NCL IMO and I hope that you get your $2000.00 deposit back.

Correction......you believe the employees gave the OP the wrong information based on what the OP stated. You have no proof that what was stated by the OP is indeed accurate.

Correction......you believe the employees gave the OP the wrong information based on what the OP stated. You have no proof that what was stated by the OP is indeed accurate.

Ok let's take him for his word and hope that he didn't write all this just for kicks.

I would be mad as a hornets nest if my employees gave out the wrong information on 5 different occasions.

I called NCL and was told by the person that booked my UDP for me last evening that I would have to wait until I was on board the ship in May to make any specialty restaurant reservations. Today on cc a cruiser posted that they were able to book reservations on their UDP for a cruise 4 weeks out.

The company representatives should know the answers to these simple questions or they should not be instructed to ask "is there anything else that I can help you with today". Giving out wrong information is not OK. Why would it be???

Edited by Karysa

I dont care if it's written somewhere.

This will not serve you well.

And the cancellation policy is not just written "somewhere", it's not just in the fine print or the second to last page of the terms and conditions, it's front and center on a very clear and understandable table on the first page of the guest confirmation. I wish all businesses were as clear with this type of information. (I'm looking at you, cable and cell phone companies.)

This will not serve you well.

And the cancellation policy is not just written "somewhere", it's not just in the fine print or the second to last page of the terms and conditions, it's front and center on a very clear and understandable table on the first page of the guest confirmation. I wish all businesses were as clear with this type of information. (I'm looking at you, cable and cell phone companies.)

The cruiser may have lost it or is visually impaired or can not read. If they were given the wrong information 5 times by my employees I would be very upset. The customer asked for help and got anything but!

I called NCL and was told by the person that booked my UDP for me last evening that I would have to wait until I was on board the ship in May to make any specialty restaurant reservations. Today on cc a cruiser posted that they were able to book reservations on their UDP for a cruise 4 weeks out.

For something like the UDP, which is brand new and, in the end, really just a detail that concerns a minority of interested customers, I can understand a little bit of confusion and unintentional misinformation.

But for something as basic as the cancellation fee schedule, every single NCL rep needs to be able to recite this in their sleep. Whether they have a specific reservation in front of them or not. "90 days out" is never the right answer. It should always be "You can cancel with no penalty 90 days before your sail date unless…"

This is not to relieve the OP of all blame, and if he gets anything from NCL he should be appropriately grateful. But if his story is accurate, there is a problem with the training of the NCL representatives.

Yeah, or their computer screen may have been broken, or their printer out of ink, or their dog ate their homework.

Exactly and they asked for help. If they were given the wrong information then they did not get the help that they asked for or the help that the company pays them to give.

If I took the word of the NCL rep last night I would still be under the impression that I can not book my special dinner night using my UDP until I board the ship in May. I now know that since someone of cc booked there's 4 weeks out, that I too can book ahead. I should have been given that information from the NCL person that took my $238.00 don't you think?

For something like the UDP, which is brand new and, in the end, really just a detail that concerns a minority of interested customers, I can understand a little bit of confusion and unintentional misinformation.

But for something as basic as the cancellation fee schedule, every single NCL rep needs to be able to recite this in their sleep. Whether they have a specific reservation in front of them or not. "90 days out" is never the right answer. It should always be "You can cancel with no penalty 90 days before your sail date unless…"

This is not to relieve the OP of all blame, and if he gets anything from NCL he should be appropriately grateful. But if his story is accurate, there is a problem with the training of the NCL representatives.

If they have figured out how to take your money for the program the information as how to book the restaurants should be reviewed and available for the NCL reps. He even put me on hold and told me he would check. Honestly this seems like a pretty basic thing for the company to prepare for the phone reps to have at their disposal.

Also whenever I call cruiselines with a question about an existing reservation, they look up my reservation. Surly 1 out of 5 should have figured out that this cruiser was in a special suite and reinforced him about the cancellation policy that would pertain to him.