Airplane mode?

cruisentn

To prevent roaming charges, do you just put your phone/tablet in Airplane mode when on board?

Then turn off and put on wifi when in port somewhere?

I think there is a wifi finder I need to download for finding wifi in ports.

Thanks!

That is one way to do it, yes. In most cases you must log on to the ship's internet, so it is not likely to accidently incur data charges onboard.

Most devices will tell you if there is wifi in the area without an app. The wifi simply detects any available wifi signal.

To prevent roaming charges, do you just put your phone/tablet in Airplane mode when on board?

Then turn off and put on wifi when in port somewhere?

I think there is a wifi finder I need to download for finding wifi in ports.

Thanks!

You leave it in airplane mode even when turning on WiFi. In most ports there will be plenty of bars and cafés that will give you the password for the WiFi when you order something, even a CocaCola.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

You leave it in airplane mode even when turning on WiFi. In most ports there will be plenty of bars and cafés that will give you the password for the WiFi when you order something, even a CocaCola.

Thanks everyone. So, if it's a port like Nassau or Key West, are there FREE cell signals there? Like VZW cell?

Thanks

Thanks everyone. So, if it's a port like Nassau or Key West, are there FREE cell signals there? Like VZW cell?

Thanks

I can't speak for Nassau, but Key West is like any other U.S. town wrt cell service. Your cell phone should work just fine.

Your Verizon phone will work fine from all points in Key West. Despite their succession as the Conch Republic, they are still considered part of the mainland US. All tourist areas of Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, and St. John are also considered in network.

Not sure about the Bahamas.

Remember to turn off cellular data & roaming & 3/4G. Otherwise if you turn off airplane mode they will be on. Also, if you turn them off you can leave airplane mode off & just let it search for wifi. Every port I have been to has some sort of free wifi. You can try to use your ironic app, too. (Ironic because to use the wifi finder app, you need wifi. :D)

Thanks

In Nassau you can "purchase" something at Starbucks or several other bars offer Wifi once you do. We weren't aware of any free service any longer.

Nassau/The Bahamas - as an independent country, they are not part of the US cellular network. Therefore, your US-based phone plan will not be valid there. It will be international roaming as if you were in Canada, France, or Botswana.

Now, in regards to airplane mode - I rarely have my iPhone on airplane mode while out of the country. I made sure data roaming is turned off, and that does it. I even keep cellular data on...just make sure data roaming is off. I have never encountered a penny of unintended data use on my iPhone in 5+ years of constant international travel.

Does airplane mode stop text messages from coming in too or just data?

It stops everything, unless you connect to WiFi, and then you can get Internet and apps.