Carnival Sunshine - A great idea, poorly executed

Anung Un Rama

Right across the hall was the Steak House (Fahrenheit 555). Not the best location for this but it's not bad. It was the only pay restaurant that had doors to close itself off. We were kinda sad that our favorite bar tender, Miro, was working the steak house and not the Alchemy Bar this cruise. We spent way too much time with him on our last Liberty cruise. The good thing is that the steak house has a bar that you can sit and get drinks at. We went down one night and he made me a couple special drinks with his own stuff.

P1040817_zps89292d87.jpg

We were feeling good by the time we walked out of there.

We did see more comedy this cruise than we had previously. The comedy club is probably my biggest pet peeve of the ship. You were not supposed to enter from the aft stairs but that never stopped anyone. The room itself was quite small and shaped like a horseshoe. But the stage was 20 feet in from the top of the U. I'd guess that about 15-20% of the audience could barely see the stage and had to watch one of the flat screens they had on the wall.

I will say that all 4 of the comedians we saw were good. It was refreshing to see some comedians who could be funny without having to be crude. If you want a decent spot, get there at least 20 minutes before show time. Like I said the area was small.

The addition of balconies to the aft of decks 4 and 5 just completely screwed the layout of certain things. I understand that they wanted to add some revenue, but it really took away from the flow and accessibility of certain areas.

Thank you for the review...anxious to read the rest! I am leaving on the Sunshine's 11 day Repo in April! I ahve a few questions:

New Orleans: I am very excited about New Orleans, this will be my first time there. Any other tips of things to do or see? I am thinking steamboat ride and then the street car for hop on/off. Staying at French Market Inn. Hope it really is within walking distance of things!

Gym: Did yuo by chance take any of the fitness classes? I go to the gym every morning on a cruise (I just feel better after a good workout), sometimes do cardio, but looking for any info on their spin/cycle classes. Also wondering if they offer bootcamp or TRX?

Baffled by the no night stand! this time I am traveling with my mother (2 single beds) so I would have thought 2 small night stands like in the past. nice for glasses, books etc.

Thank you in advance!

NYE - Our first stop was Cozumel and there were at least 3 other ships in port with us (I think we had a total of 5). A bunch of us went to Mr. Sanchos which is about 5 miles down the beach. Even with 5 ships in port, it never felt crowded there (and there were lots of people). We spent a good amount of time at the swim up bar and never had to wait for a drink. All aboard was 2:30so we left there at 1:30. Took a good nap to prepare for a long night of celebrating.

Cass was way too excited about getting to wear her new dress.

P1040604_zpse4bdf1cf.jpg

We had a special dinner menu (formal night was pushed from Monday to Tuesday for this cruise) but it did not include ribs. As a matter of fact, ribs were not served at all on this cruise. I was not happy. I had already run out of room drinks so I started with a festive Mai Tai.

P1040612_zpse4413c31.jpg

Dinner ended around 10:30 tonight so we all went to find a good spot for the east coast NYE. We ended up in the Ocean Plaza (probably more for the Alchemy Bar) where they had the Times Square ball drop).

We headed out to the main lido deck for their party but Cass really wanted to see the balloon drop in the atrium. It was pretty crowded but we found a nice little spot directly below the balloons.

P1040636_zps9e05da6b.jpg

And right as New Years hit...

P1040656_zpsd09d08cd.jpg

P1040657_zps7cc1c748.jpg

P1040659_zpsac3949e3.jpg

The night lasted much later than this and we were both a little worse for wear the next day. I was scared our camera might be like the end of the Hangover but I guess I was smart enough to leave it in my pocket the rest of the night.

Thank you for the review...anxious to read the rest! I am leaving on the Sunshine's 11 day Repo in April! I ahve a few questions:

New Orleans: I am very excited about New Orleans, this will be my first time there. Any other tips of things to do or see? I am thinking steamboat ride and then the street car for hop on/off. Staying at French Market Inn. Hope it really is within walking distance of things!

Gym: Did yuo by chance take any of the fitness classes? I go to the gym every morning on a cruise (I just feel better after a good workout), sometimes do cardio, but looking for any info on their spin/cycle classes. Also wondering if they offer bootcamp or TRX?

Baffled by the no night stand! this time I am traveling with my mother (2 single beds) so I would have thought 2 small night stands like in the past. nice for glasses, books etc.

Thank you in advance!

Yes the French market inn is within walking distance of everything. Perfect location.

Go to the Katrina Museum at Jackson square. In font of Jackson square are carriage rides. The world war 2 museum is a short cab ride away. Buy tickets in advance. The movie is great. Walk down Bourbon street at night and Royal street during the day. Go to St Luis cemetary and see the grave of Marie Leveaux. Check out the voodoo museum. Don't forget Beignets at Cafe Du Monde.

Thank you in advance!

Well there is no shortage of things to do in NOLA. We were planning on sight seeing Saturday but it poured the majority of the day so we stayed inside. There are a ton of things within walking distance. We unfortunately never made it outside of the French Quarter. It really depends on your tastes. We pretty much just bar hopped in the evenings.

We did not do any fitness classes. I have a set routine I like to do on cruises and Cass pretty much either ran or got on an elliptical. We are rarely up early enough for the classes. With late dinner, we tried to sleep in as much as we could. Cass has done a spin class in the past and I know she liked it (I believe here words were 'It kicked my butt').

We were also baffled by no night stand. I even asked our room steward about it and he confirmed that those rooms don't have them.

Out of curiosity, is the dry dock extended work finally finished, or does the maintenance continue?

There were still a few things being worked on. But it was hard to tell if it was a continuation or something new. The slides were hardly ever open and I'll be touching on that later. One of the holes on the mini-golf course was closed but I was sure I saw it open earlier so I think that just happened on our cruise. After one of our ports 2 ceiling panels were pulled down and sitting in the hall (I assume they were doing some maintenance). I did not see any buckets to collect dripping water.

Crazy about no nightstand and I love Cass's dress! DH and I sailed with you on the Liberty back in April. DH said no cruising this year, but changed his mind and we leave for Miami tomorrow! Happy wife, happy life is his motto! ;) We are going on the Conquest. One thing that baffles me already about the Conquest is that she doesn't have a Serenity deck!

I was really excited about Sunshine, but it sounds like she isn't as great as she seems... We're hoping to try the Breeze sometime and we definitely wouldn't mind re-sailing on the Liberty as she is our favorite ship so far.

I will say that we had a fantastic time on the Victory but we also cruised with a huge group so that had a big hand in it.

Hello you 2

It was a BLAST!!!....

Enjoying this!!!...We are on it in August!!!...ahd booked the3 Dream but it got changed to the Sunshine...so we're taking notes :D

Hello you 2

It was a BLAST!!!....

Enjoying this!!!...We are on it in August!!!...ahd booked the3 Dream but it got changed to the Sunshine...so we're taking notes :D

Hi :D

Feel free to ask any questions. You know the best place to reach me. I hope I don't dissuade you by the end of this review :o

I will say that we had a fantastic time on the Victory but we also cruised with a huge group so that had a big hand in it. Liked Piano Bar Bob, but really missed Joe Hollywood.

Hi Chris!

Laurie and I had a great time on the Victory with you and Cass. The whole 9 days were great.:D

I'm following your review also as we are on the Sunshine in August with Jim and Dee and a few others. You've made some interesting observations and I'm looking forward to the rest of your review.

Rick

No nightstands?!? Great. That means I'll be putting DH glasses on the desk before he nods off, doesn't matter that I'll likely have been asleep for twenty minutes when that happens. Seriously that boggles the mind. Wonder who thought that up "let's inconvineance everyone and save two hundred dollars and not put nightstands in any of the interior cabins!"

No nightstands?!? Great. That means I'll be putting DH glasses on the desk before he nods off, doesn't matter that I'll likely have been asleep for twenty minutes when that happens. Seriously that boggles the mind. Wonder who thought that up "let's inconvineance everyone and save two hundred dollars and not put nightstands in any of the interior cabins!"

Dont understand that one at all.

Always keep a box of tissues, my glasses and book I am reading on it. Small table how much could it possibly cost.

Hey Chris and Cass! Long time no see. We are thinking about sailing on the Sunshine this December so this review will really help. DH says the next ship we sail on has to have a Cucina del Capitano, really missed that last month on the Conquest.

Can't wait to read the rest. Hope we get a chance to sail with you all again!

Always keep a box of tissues, my glasses and book I am reading on it. Small table how much could it possibly cost.

I have a little Italian plastic carrey handle table that folds open for my patio..I can't believe needing to take that on a cruise..that just about takes the cake..I guess the stool would have to move over by me and a stiff magazine holds my glass of water..i think no nightstand is a almost deal breaker truly..just bad..that is where you really need one on an inside too for a flashlight, tv control and as you said tissues, glasses...book, whatever..that is just ridiculous..hope it is just "not finished" and/or they order them...it is pathetic to me....ok sorry for the steaming vent.:o

OP..love your candid reviews too...thanks...sarah

Edited by sjn911

7321, 2nd to last inside aft.

I will say that we loved the location of our cabin. We were 2 floors from the Lido and 2 from Prominade. Very convenient for quick runs to get something.

Love your take on the Sunshine so far. We have the same cabin booked for our girls, our cabin is 7325 aft wrap right across the hall. Thanks for the pics, I can show the girls their cabin.

I have a little Italian plastic carrey handle table that folds open for my patio..I can't believe needing to take that on a cruise..that just about takes the cake..I guess the stool would have to move over by me and a stiff magazine holds my glass of water..i think no nightstand is a almost deal breaker truly..just bad..that is where you really need one on an inside too for a flashlight, tv control and as you said tissues, glasses...book, whatever..that is just ridiculous..hope it is just "not finished" and/or they order them...it is pathetic to me....ok sorry for the steaming vent.:o

OP..love your candid reviews too...thanks...sarah

Biggest deal breaker is the tiny comedy club where lots of people cant get into shows. Has some nice itineraries but dont think this is a ship for us.

and thank you

Biggest deal breaker is the tiny comedy club where lots of people cant get into shows. Has some nice itineraries but dont think this is a ship for us.

and thank you

Good to see you and yes that would be frustrating too...a mainstay for so many...I want to try another line next but the deals are tempting me....but yes..another ship I think is better if I do Carnival soon again.

Edited by sjn911

NONE of the insides have tables???????? That's what it looks like on the deckplans. I'm going to be pretty bummed by that........also it looks almost like the beds are positioned stern to aft rather than the foot of the bed facing the door. Is that true????

I guess my sister and I will put one of our suitcases between our beds to act as a nightstand.