Where can I find out about the ingredients in the food?

Giantfan13

We are vegetarians and do not eat anything that even might have a meat base. When we were on the Glory over the summer, we went for pizza, but the sign said that it was made with 'Buffalo Mozzarella'. We asked the chef and he said it was made from the milk from buffalo (????), so we didn't partake in it.

Is there a person or place I can contact to see if this is so, if any other things, like even a soup, has a meat base?

I tried to email customer service on Carnival but never even heard back.

Anyone?

Cheers

Len

We are vegetarians and do not eat anything that even might have a meat base. When we were on the Glory over the summer, we went for pizza, but the sign said that it was made with 'Buffalo Mozzarella'. We asked the chef and he said it was made from the milk from buffalo (????), so we didn't partake in it.

Is there a person or place I can contact to see if this is so, if any other things, like even a soup, has a meat base?

Anyone?

Cheers

Len

If it was made with regular Mozzarella would you eat it? If so Regular mozzarella is made from milk from cows, what is the difference?

If it was made with regular Mozzarella would you eat it? If so Regular mozzarella is made from milk from cows, what is the difference?

Ditto. It's no different than cow milk cheese, goat cheese, sheep's milk cheese. Are you a vegan? I'm really confused by your confusion.

Yes, There are buffaloes in Italy and the milk from them is used to make mozzarella. Other cheese is made from animal milk too so if you eat cheese you can also eat the mozzarella. If you don't eat cheese then you probably won't eat pizza anyway. This is a very confusing post!

Why would buffalo mozzarella be an issue if you are not vegan? It's not like they are grinding up buffalo meat to make the cheese. Your bigger concern should be the tomato sauce as often times there is chicken base in that.

Edited by roohound

Anyone?

Cheers

Len

Wow. Just curious are you wanting to bring a lawsuit against carnival!!

Yes, Buffalo Mozzarella is made from Water Buffalo milk.

Yes, lots on the menu is made with chicken or beef stock including boiling pasta in chicken stock.

There is a vegetarian choice on every menu

No one starves on a cruise

It sounds as if you are either new vegetarians, or vegetarians who don't know what they are doing.... I am not sure what you thought cheese was made of, but it is dairy any way you look at it.. and Carnival does not do tofu cheese on pizza that I am aware.

What diet are you really trying to steer towards?

I'm not sure that you would be able to get milk from that water buffalo. Seems like it just might be a Bull rather than a cow. But to each his own kicks I guess.

D**n. Time to get new glasses.

Edited by SadieN

In a different post earlier today, OP mentioned ordering salmon on a cruise. I would think fish would also not be allowed, but what do I know. Maybe they are new to the vegetarian thing.

Edited by cccer

Yes, Buffalo Mozzarella is made from Water Buffalo milk.

Yes, lots on the menu is made with chicken or beef stock including boiling pasta in chicken stock.

There is a vegetarian choice on every menu

No one starves on a cruise

Okay, buffalo mozzarella is from buffalo. Explain Buffalo wings:eek:

OK Maybe I should have explained this a bit further. We are of Jewish heritage and we try and obey the Kosher Dietary laws. Many people do not understand these, so it is easier to say we are vegetarians. We only eat Kosher meat. So, on cruises we only eat fish and only certain types of fish. We cannot eat anything that comes from a non Kosher animal.

I won't go into many of the dietary laws of trying to remain Kosher while cruising, but the problem with the Buffalo cheese was one that we were concerned about. Buffalo is not considered a Kosher animal, so anything made from it's byproducts would not be considered Kosher.

That is why I mentioned the soup bases. Anything considered in the meat family, has to be from a Kosher animal. That is why we would not partake in soups that have a meat base broth et al. That is why I originally asked where I could find out any info on the ingredients of some of the foods.

again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

And we HAVE tried some of the Kosher meals that you can order and be served. Please, I want to enjoy the cruise. That food is horrible.

Cheers

Len

Buffalo is not considered a Kosher animal, so anything made from it's byproducts would not be considered Kosher.

Len

Buffalo, also known as Bison, is Kosher. If you doubt this, google Kohns kosher meat St Louis and you will find they sell kosher bison. There are a number of animals with split hooves that also chew their cud so cows are not the only kosher animal.

The problem with cheeses is that rennet used to make the cheese often comes from an animal source thus resulting in mixing milk and meat. The same problem applies when gelatin is used in a food as some gelatins come from animal hooves. There are non animal based sources of these components but you will not know if these are used based simply on the ingredient list. There are many more problems with eating unsupervised food that I would be happy to point out but this would prohibit your eating anything on the ship, depending on your observance level, except the prepackaged kosher meals.

My level of compromise outside the home is that I do not eating anything that is clearly treif, do not mix milk and meat and ensure meat dishes are not cooked with butter. Your level of comfort may be less flexible but I am not sure having ingredient lists for each food is realistic. Thats what a Hecksher is for.

OK Maybe I should have explained this a bit further. We are of Jewish heritage and we try and obey the Kosher Dietary laws. Many people do not understand these, so it is easier to say we are vegetarians. We only eat Kosher meat. So, on cruises we only eat fish and only certain types of fish. We cannot eat anything that comes from a non Kosher animal.

I won't go into many of the dietary laws of trying to remain Kosher while cruising, but the problem with the Buffalo cheese was one that we were concerned about. Buffalo is not considered a Kosher animal, so anything made from it's byproducts would not be considered Kosher.

That is why I mentioned the soup bases. Anything considered in the meat family, has to be from a Kosher animal. That is why we would not partake in soups that have a meat base broth et al. That is why I originally asked where I could find out any info on the ingredients of some of the foods.

again, sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

And we HAVE tried some of the Kosher meals that you can order and be served. Please, I want to enjoy the cruise. That food is horrible.

Cheers

Len

Special needs will steer you towards kosher meals at the MDR. There will be a staff member who will help you with the following day. Embarking night you will be on your own. Make sure you contact them or speak to the Matre D when you board.

You can see the entire menu and chose whatever is on there to fit your needs. Check http://www.zydecocruiser.net website for current menus for ideas

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1391904000,-8,ca_carnival,first%20Miracle%20cruise%20

cfi_countdown.php?vars=1396058400,-8,ca_celebrity,cruising%20the%20Pacific%20Coastal%20on%20Century

Sent from my iPod

Edited by ccruisequeen