Extra Charge for Ice Cream?

rileylewis

In Illinois we called carbonated beverages "soda" in Iowa we called it "pop" and in Nebraska we call it "soft drink". Can't remember what it was called in California as I never drank it.

My husband loves the ice cream station on HAL. It was the hit of his very first cruise and something he really looks forward to every day. No, it's not Ben & Jerry's but it is fine. They have plenty of toppings. I love the selection of liquors they have. At home when I eat ice cream, I use a liquor as a topping.

Diane

I don't know what part of Illinois you are from,but in Chicago it has always been pop.

Edited by johnmik1

A propos of ice cream, I wait until the really good flavors show up. I can easily pass on vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. But when cinnamon shows up, I'm there!

As for jimmies v. sprinkles or soda v. pop, try this on for size:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

My son & I both did this quiz.

I was born in Germany and brought up mostly in Kansas, Texas and Arizona, moving to northern California as a young teen. The quiz placed me as in southern California between Santa Clarita and Santa Ana. Pretty close - I live in Orange County (moved here as an adult).

DS was pinpointed as being in Omaha, Nebraska. He was born in Orange County, CA, lived here his whole life with only one brief trip out of country (on a cruise) to Mexico. And a couple of Boy Scout trips to Michigan, and West Virginia.

I grew up in Connecticut, went to school in Boston, lived most of my life in New York and retired to Tennessee so I have gone through life figuring out:

Hoagie/hero/sub/grinder

frappe/milk shake/malted/sundae

pop/soda

etc.

Don't forget "awful awful" for "shake." :) (As in, it's awful, awful hard to get this shake through the straw.)

My son & I both did this quiz.

I was born in Germany and brought up mostly in Kansas, Texas and Arizona, moving to northern California as a young teen. The quiz placed me as in southern California between Santa Clarita and Santa Ana. Pretty close - I live in Orange County (moved here as an adult).

DS was pinpointed as being in Omaha, Nebraska. He was born in Orange County, CA, lived here his whole life with only one brief trip out of country (on a cruise) to Mexico. And a couple of Boy Scout trips to Michigan, and West Virginia.

I just did the quiz and since it is specific to the US and I am a Canadian I did not think it would be very relevant. It placed me most strongly in the state of Maine.

I was impressed as New Brunswick borders Maine and I spent 17 years living in a border town.

Best to ask for "unsweetened tea" if you don't want it that way.

(And for those who would like just a normal amount of sugar, I've found it works well to order half sweet and half unsweetened. Of course, that can make refills problematic....)

I order half-and-half, and take refills of the unsweetened. If that makes it not sweet enough, I just add a little sweetener from a packet on the table.

Years ago I had a good friend from Boston, and the first time I heard her say "tonic" I had no idea what she was talking about. :D She also called spaghetti sauce "gravy", is that the word all Bostonians use?

It's not only Bostonians, many New Orleanians call spaghetti sauce "red gravy."

Coffee, tea (iced and hot), water, milk. And sometimes lemonade.

And (per expert RuthC) hot chocolate.

Milk is out (usually in half pint cartons) at breakfast time, and you can get it from the staff at other times.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I am late to the party, but will play!

1. The term "jimmie" to me as a child meant either the verb to force open a door or window with a short metal tool; or the tool itself (or one of my older brothers).

2. As I moved about, I learned two more meanings:

- a fine large male blue crab (years spent in the Navy in the Norfolk, VA area)

- something you did not want a Scot to call you, and if he did, you should back off (time spent in London).

3. I have never heard it to refer either to "sprinkles" or what my British friends called "hundreds and thousands".

4. I took the NYT test twice -- the first time I centered on San Francisco (where I have NEVER lived, but grew up about 800-900 miles north); and the second time, I took a bit more care and time, and found myself centered on Tulsa, OK. That is more true: I only spent a few months in Norman in grad school, but both my parents came from within 100 miles of Tulsa. That tells me that your influences from childhood can persist decades later. (A test for you from OK -- how do you pronounce the state north of Oregon and south of British Columbia? For my entire childhood, even though I was born there, I called it "WAR shing tun" (see above about Tulsa)).

Dave

Dave, I always pronounced it as written, with no "r". I did live in British Columbia three times in my army brat years.

When I lived in Ontario the kids made fun of me for pronouncing "aunt" as "awnt" instead of "ant" when referring to a relative.

A propos of ice cream, I wait until the really good flavors show up. I can easily pass on vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. But when cinnamon shows up, I'm there!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html?_r=0

Pretty well pegged me as upstate New York (Syracuse)

Roy

I grew up in Connecticut, went to school in Boston, lived most of my life in New York and retired to Tennessee so I have gone through life figuring out:

Hoagie/hero/sub/grinder

frappe/milk shake/malted/sundae

pop/soda

etc.

Then there's the problem I have, spilling tonic on my sub when I go around a rotary.

Dave, I always pronounced it as written, with no "r". I did live in British Columbia three times in my army brat years.

When I lived in Ontario the kids made fun of me for pronouncing "aunt" as "awnt" instead of "ant" when referring to a relative.

:o We say 'awnt'...... never 'ant'. :)

Then there's the problem I have, spilling tonic on my sub when I go around a rotary.

Yup........ you have it right !!!

tonic :D

sub sandwich

drive around the rotary in counter clockwise direction :D

Hawaii :D, Santa Rosa, and Fremont (all as close to Hawaii as you can get LOL).

Sprinkles, roundabout, and Soda here ;) I'm gluten free, so I don't eat Subs :p

Edited by AlohaPride

The NYTimes test pegged me in Yonkers, Newark/Patterson, or NYC. I have never lived closer to that area than 100 miles. I grew up in CT, went to college and later lived in northern NY 10 years, then 3 years in MO, and the last 34 years in FL.

Boy, Sail, what a tangent you sent this thread on with one little word, jimmies!

Edited by jtl513