Joining (and leaving) mid cruise on a TA

cle-guy

So looking at the Eclipse TA this spring. A friend wants to go too, but can't leave on 19th, so thinking of flying to Bermuda on our day of arrival there (for an overnight) and joining the cruise then.

Absent the usual what if theres a delay issues (then he'd fly to portugal...we are planning on meeting friend in the UK is the purpose of trip anyhow) does anyone know if this is an issue, especially with regard to customs and immigration issues?

And another issue, his wife may fly in with him and overnight on board, we'd list her as 2nd passenger on his cabin and just pay taxes and port fees like if she had a hotel bill onshore, she's suspect to seasickness and won't travel on a ship, so we think this may be nice way for to enjoy an evening on board since he's already paying the single supplement for a second anyway.

So she would board 22nd in Bermuda and debark 23rd after the overnight in Bermuda, in essence missing boat out of FLL, catching it on Bermuda, then missing the departure in bermuda, though we'd of course alert ship staff of the weirdness. Her husband would stay and enjoy the cabin solo for the voyage to the UK.

This probably could be done, but definitely needs to be arranged in advance with the cruise line so they can be prepared and ensure proper personnel are available to process your friend and his wife onto the ship in Bermuda (as well as his wife to be cleared to debark early). Make sure your friend receives permission in writing from the cruise line in case communication breaks down somewhere. Biggest risk (if approved) is that the ship cannot make the Bermuda port call (rough seas around Bermuda are common) - but at least the ship has two days to try and dock if it is rough one day.

[quote name='Carolin']She will need to be listed as a passenger for her to board the ship. I suggest calling the cruiseline if they can board the ship in Burmuda.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like that is the intent. Although this is WAAAAYY outside the normal ballpark,
I think it could work, the key will be letting the cruise line know what and why you are doing.
Good luck, i hope they pull it off!

[quote name='cle-guy']So looking at the Eclipse TA this spring. A friend wants to go too, but can't leave on 19th, so thinking of flying to Bermuda on our day of arrival there (for an overnight) and joining the cruise then.

Absent the usual what if theres a delay issues (then he'd fly to portugal...we are planning on meeting friend in the UK is the purpose of trip anyhow) does anyone know if this is an issue, especially with regard to customs and immigration issues?

And another issue, his wife may fly in with him and overnight on board, we'd list her as 2nd passenger on his cabin and just pay taxes and port fees like if she had a hotel bill onshore, she's suspect to seasickness and won't travel on a ship, so we think this may be nice way for to enjoy an evening on board since he's already paying the single supplement for a second anyway.

So she would board 22nd in Bermuda and debark 23rd after the overnight in Bermuda, in essence missing boat out of FLL, catching it on Bermuda, then missing the departure in bermuda, though we'd of course alert ship staff of the weirdness. Her husband would stay and enjoy the cabin solo for the voyage to the UK.[/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]There are some situations where early/late embarkation or disembarkation are allowed and others where they are not. The type of itinerary can make a big difference (without rehashing the whole matter of cabotage law restrictions).

But even when they are allowed, the cruise line may need advance notice to make arrangements with the appropriate port people for any deviation from the norm.

When we had a similar type of situation we were told to contact [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][SIZE=3] Celebrity's Redeployment Desk at 888-281-9343.

As I recall, at first we just got circled around through the usual voice mail menus for a while and transferred from one person to another, but eventually got transferred to the appropriate place.

In any case, I would strongly suggest contacting Celebrity and try to get any permissions you need directly from them in writing.

No matter how good the intentions of those of us who post here on Cruise Critic, even though we would like to be helpful, requirements change and what we experienced, may be different from what will apply in your situation.
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='fleckle'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]There are some situations where early/late embarkation or disembarkation are allowed and others where they are not. The type of itinerary can make a big difference (without rehashing the whole matter of cabotage law restrictions).
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

No cabotage laws come into play with what the OP is proposing. It is simply a matter of whether the cruise line is willing to make the logistical arrangements.

Hi, In May 2013, we left on Sunday for Bermuda on the Summit with our sons and D-I-Ls. One of our D-I-Ls was unable to get vacation time until mid-week. Our travel agent arranged for her to fly to Bermuda and join us on Wednesday to complete our cruise week.

[quote name='fleckle'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]There are some situations where early/late embarkation or disembarkation are allowed and others where they are not. The type of itinerary can make a big difference (without rehashing the whole matter of cabotage law restrictions).[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='Gonzo70']No cabotage laws come into play with what the OP is proposing. It is simply a matter of whether the cruise line is willing to make the logistical arrangements.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]
My apologies. I guess I should have clarified my previous remarks by explaining that I am not familiar with the details of the OP's planned itinerary.

But since some European countries have cabotage laws restricting where passengers on foreign flagged vessels are allowed to embark or disembark, and since advance notice for special permits is required in some circumstances, I thought it better just to make a broad, general statement mentioning the possibility of encountering them rather than make any assumptions about where the OP or friend may or may not be traveling.

[/SIZE][/FONT]